The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Ludovico wrote: »

He did actually! I'm not sure why they're not showing up.
    Carter was M's idiot nephew, the only reason he got the job.
    :))
    Was Carter really incompetent though? He was merely out of his depth. He's obviously not an operative but maybe he's very good behind a desk.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    He just wasn't as talented as Bond with his little finger
    ;-)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I was watching QI and it's mentioned in the episode that the man with the world's longest moustache, Ram Singh Chauhan, had a small part in Octopussy (it's also mentioned in a few online articles, such as: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478699/Not-snipped-Meet-man-worlds-largest-moustache--trimmed-32-years.html). However, for the life of me, I can't recall where in the film he appears, if at all? Had a peruse of the iMBD full cast list and couldn't find him there either. Anyone shed any light on this?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I was watching QI and it's mentioned in the episode that the man with the world's longest moustache, Ram Singh Chauhan, had a small part in Octopussy (it's also mentioned in a few online articles, such as: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478699/Not-snipped-Meet-man-worlds-largest-moustache--trimmed-32-years.html). However, for the life of me, I can't recall where in the film he appears, if at all? Had a peruse of the iMBD full cast list and couldn't find him there either. Anyone shed any light on this?
    A good reason to watch OP again! I couldn't spot him, and think it will be difficult to, considering he started growing the stache only one year prior.

Love that Tuk Tuk chase, we need to see more entertaining chases like that :)) The oblivious cyclist, that guy who has the stack of bills fall in his dish, Vijay jumping the Tuk Tuk over the camel and how roughly it lands - no one could survive that with out a broken tailbone.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    QBranch wrote: »
    A good reason to watch OP again! I couldn't spot him, and think it will be difficult to, considering he started growing the stache only one year prior.

Love that Tuk Tuk chase, we need to see more entertaining chases like that :)) The oblivious cyclist, that guy who has the stack of bills fall in his dish, Vijay jumping the Tuk Tuk over the camel and how roughly it lands - no one could survive that with out a broken tailbone.

It's always a good time to stick Octopussy on! Only watched it a few weeks ago but I never tire of this glorious instalment. Think I might have a viewing of it tonight, and keep an eye out for this chap.

Especially as he wasn't even an extra,he was just cycling through,and the crew decided to keep the footage in as it looked so good haha !!

I, like @Dragonpol, don't understand OP but like it all the same. Those eggs are just confusing as heck!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I, like @Dragonpol, don't understand OP but like it all the same. Those eggs are just confusing as heck!

Yes, and see my OP Easter Eggs thread here:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18725/who-is-selling-the-property-of-a-lady-egg-and-why-in-octopussy-1983

I hope to add some more observations to it soon!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Why was there a 2 year gap in between Thunderball and YOLT after a series of one year gaps
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    After Thunderball they planned/tried to film On Her Majesty's Secret Service but weather delays diverted them to film You Only Live Twice. Messing up book order and also creating the first two-year gap.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I do remember reading YOLT was shot in 1966, however.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    So does this mean there exists some unused Connery OHMSS footage, or did they not get that far into production?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why was there a 2 year gap in between Thunderball and YOLT after a series of one year gaps

The gap was actually 18 months as TB was released in December 1965. Actually the same gap as between GF and TB.

Also I guess the scale of the production with the volcano caused some delay.
    NicNac wrote: »

The gap was actually 18 months as TB was released in December 1965. Actually the same gap as between GF and TB.

You beat me to it,Nackers.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

I was always better than you James Barry ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »

I was always better than you James Barry ;)

Hahaha cheeky sod !
    Who came up with the original idea of a cat for Blofeld?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Who came up with the original idea of a cat for Blofeld?

I think it was to do with giving Blofeld's hands something to do,as he was unseen in FRWL .and stroking a cat was the logical conclusion.

I think Dawson and Young decided on it between them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Three months longer, but that is practically the same
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Bond in LALD is using a bug detector and afterwords he is pointing to the window with a brush. This brush is obviously a special Q-branch one, but I don't understand what function it should have??
    Bond in LALD is using a bug detector and afterwords he is pointing to the window with a brush. This brush is obviously a special Q-branch one, but I don't understand what function it should have??
    He's tapping a button on it, sending a morse code message to Quarrel Junior. Later, Bond says to Rosie on the boat, "meet the man who shares my hairbrush." The same brush gadget turns up in a Tom Baker episode of Doctor Who.
    "Revenge of the Cybermen", to be precise. And that question had already been answered some years ago, if I remember well.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    He's tapping a button on it, sending a morse code message to Quarrel Junior. Later, Bond says to Rosie on the boat, "meet the man who shares my hairbrush." The same brush gadget turns up in a Tom Baker episode of Doctor Who.
    Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I've watched LALD at least 12 times,but never realized this! But the main problem is the bad translation: in german, bond says toothbrush, instead of hairbrush...
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    He's tapping a button on it, sending a morse code message to Quarrel Junior. Later, Bond says to Rosie on the boat, "meet the man who shares my hairbrush."

:-O

So what message is Bond sending then? Or would this be another example of actors just being told to pretend to be doing something vaguely correct (Craig's password typing in CR, for example)?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He's tapping a button on it, sending a morse code message to Quarrel Junior. Later, Bond says to Rosie on the boat, "meet the man who shares my hairbrush."

:-O

So what message is Bond sending then? Or would this be another example of actors just being told to pretend to be doing something vaguely correct (Craig's password typing in CR, for example)?

They could've cleared up that goof in CR by simply not showing him typing on the keypad, merely smirking before he inputs a password.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,973
    Gerard wrote: »
    "Revenge of the Cybermen", to be precise. And that question had already been answered some years ago, if I remember well.
    Thanks for that, mate. The exact episode had slipped my mind.
    Thanks a lot for the quick answer. I've watched LALD at least 12 times,but never realized this! But the main problem is the bad translation: in german, bond says toothbrush, instead of hairbrush...
    I gathered it was morse code, but never knew who he was sending the message to.
    Not sure, but I'm guessing the message was for Quarrel Jr to check out who 'Mrs Bond' was. Then perhaps he received the Queen of Cups warning note from Quarrel Jr the next morning at breakfast.
    Is it just me or does Sean's voice change dramatically in DAF compared to all his other ones.