The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    She says, "They're coming, they're coming!"
    Never noticed she said that the henchmen were coming for her.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    This could be the QOS flying boat / "Anchor" debate all over again.

She makes an illegible noise, you can't possibly discern any words from that.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2018 Posts: 6,733
    QBranch wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't hear it like that, I'm afraid.

I can't rule out the possibility the DVD/BD subtitles have predisposed me to hear the line in a certain way, but I do hear her saying "they're coming for me."

As an aside, in the Latin American Spanish dub of the film (made in the early eighties), she says "they're coming". It's not a literal translation of course, but at least it means someone else has heard the original line in a similar (not identical, of course) way.

Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I can see that line in an online version of the script, but in the film itself it's completely inaudible.
    Is it in a fact a script or just a dialogue transcript? Because if it is the latter, it might be sourced from a DVD/BD. If that's the case, one would have to check an actual script and see what the characters say in it. That would be an easy way of finding out, provided one had the script, of course (I couldn't find it online, for free, anyway).
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 5,811
    Well, he's a Royal Navy commander. "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash", as Sir Winston so eloquently put it.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Well, he's a Royal Navy commander. "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash", as Sir Winston so eloquently put it.

@Gerard so no
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,844
    I'm sure someone knows the answer to this off the top of their head, and I believe I know the answer myself: does M ever refer to Bond by his Christian name in the films?

Actually the answer just occurred to me. He does. At least once. But I wonder if there might be another occasion.
    I'm sure someone knows the answer to this off the top of their head, and I believe I know the answer myself: does M ever refer to Bond by his Christian name in the films?

In TSWLM and MR, M says "well done, James."
  • Both TSWLM and MR? The instance in TSWLM is the one that came to mind.
    Both TSWLM and MR? The instance in TSWLM is the one that came to mind.

From what I recall, he says it when Bond points out the orchid comes from the Tapirape river, instead of the Amazoco.
  • I see. It was always a momentous occasion in the books, usually signifying a personal request from the old man.
    I see. It was always a momentous occasion in the books, usually signifying a personal request from the old man.

Right. Here it is more casual in nature, though I like to think it does hint at a personal appreciation M has for Bond, beyond their professional relationship.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    I see. It was always a momentous occasion in the books, usually signifying a personal request from the old man.

Right. Here it is more casual in nature, though I like to think it does hint at a personal appreciation M has for Bond, beyond their professional relationship.

In TSWLM, there is certainly a bit of pride in Bond's "keeping the British end up" in front of their Russian opposites.
    mattjoes wrote: »

In TSWLM, there is certainly a bit of pride in Bond's "keeping the British end up" in front of their Russian opposites.

No doubt.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Here's a short list.

1977:
    M: Hello, James. We've been expecting you.
    Bond: Good morning, sir.
    M: There's been a change in plan. You probably recognize my opposite number in the KGB, General Gogol.
    Bond: Sir, it's not "oratory," it's laboratory. Stromberg has a marine research laboratory. On Corsica, I believe.
    M: Well done, James.
    XXX: Actually, it is in Sardinia.
    1979:
    Q: Orchidae nigra. A very rare orchid indeed. Thought to be extinct - until a missionary brought one back from the Amazoco.
    Bond: Actually he brought it back from the River Tapirapé.
    M: Well done, James. You'd better get up there and fast.
    2006:
    M: You don't trust anyone, do you, James?
    M: James...did you ever ask yourself why you weren't killed that night? Isn't it obvious? She made a deal to spare your life in exchange for the money. I'm sure she hoped they would let her live. But she must have known she was going to her death. And now we'll never know who was behind this. The trail's gone cold.
    M: Look how well your charm works, James. They'll do anything for you, won't they?

It would be great if Fiennes M did it by the book.

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I love you @RichardTheBruce. Always excellent with facts.
    Interesting points and I have my sources, @PropertyOfALady.
  • Well done, Richard.
    Here's a short list.

1977:
    M: Hello, James. We've been expecting you.
    Bond: Good morning, sir.
    M: There's been a change in plan. You probably recognize my opposite number in the KGB, General Gogol.
    Bond: Sir, it's not "oratory," it's laboratory. Stromberg has a marine research laboratory. On Corsica, I believe.
    M: Well done, James.
    XXX: Actually, it is in Sardinia.
    1979:
    Q: Orchidae nigra. A very rare orchid indeed. Thought to be extinct - until a missionary brought one back from the Amazoco.
    Bond: Actually he brought it back from the River Tapirapé.
    M: Well done, James. You'd better get up there and fast.
    2006:
    M: You don't trust anyone, do you, James?
    M: James...did you ever ask yourself why you weren't killed that night? Isn't it obvious? She made a deal to spare your life in exchange for the money. I'm sure she hoped they would let her live. But she must have known she was going to her death. And now we'll never know who was behind this. The trail's gone cold.
    M: Look how well your charm works, James. They'll do anything for you, won't they?

It would be great if Fiennes M did it by the book.

In the novel TB M does it at the beginning and Bond knows it does not bode well for him.
    In line with that and the deeper example for me is the "For Your Eyes Only" short story. Directing Bond to a personal action.
    Bond had time for these reflections because M seemed to be having difficulty in coming to the point. Bond had been asked if he had anything on at the moment, and he had replied happily that he hadn't and had waited for Pandora's box to be opened for him. He was mildly intrigued because M had addressed him as James and not by his number — 007. This was unusual during duty hours. It sounded as if there might be some personal angle to this assignment — as if it might be put to him more as a request than as an order. And it seemed to Bond that there was an extra small cleft of worry between the frosty, damnably clear, grey eyes. And three minutes was certainly too long to spend getting a pipe going.

M swivelled his chair round square with the desk and flung the box of matches down so that it skidded across the red leather top towards Bond. Bond fielded it and skidded it politely back to the middle of the desk. M smiled briefly. He seemed to make up his mind. He said mildly: "James, has it ever occurred to you that every man in the fleet knows what to do except the commanding admiral?"

Bond frowned. He said: "It hadn't occurred to me, sir. But I see what you mean. The rest only have to carry out orders. The admiral has to decide on the orders. I suppose it's the same as saying that Supreme Command is the loneliest post there is."
    In the Thunderball PTS, why does the female agent say "they're coming to get me" when Bond and her are escaping from the château guards? Seems like a obvious and somewhat strange thing to say.

And Bond says "get inside" (the car). Seems to me they mistakenly switched lines. Bond should say they're coming to get him, and the agent should tell him to get inside.

I hear it as "They're coming for me". Never really though about it before.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

I can't rule out the possibility the DVD/BD subtitles have predisposed me to hear the line in a certain way, but I do hear her saying "they're coming for me."

As an aside, in the Latin American Spanish dub of the film (made in the early eighties), she says "they're coming". It's not a literal translation of course, but at least it means someone else has heard the original line in a similar (not identical, of course) way.
    I can see that line in an online version of the script, but in the film itself it's completely inaudible.
    Is it in a fact a script or just a dialogue transcript? Because if it is the latter, it might be sourced from a DVD/BD. If that's the case, one would have to check an actual script and see what the characters say in it. That would be an easy way of finding out, provided one had the script, of course (I couldn't find it online, for free, anyway).

Just to share my final thoughts on this - The first "They're coming," is muffled by the bullet ricochet sound effect and Bond's footsteps as he paces around the car. The second "they're coming!" is louder, and the final syllable is louder again:

"They're coming, THEY'RE COMING!"

Just to share my final thoughts on this - The first "They're coming," is muffled by the bullet ricochet sound effect and Bond's footsteps as he paces around the car. The second "they're coming!" is louder, and the final syllable is louder again:

"They're coming, THEY'RE COMING!"

"Message received and understood." ;)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    It's always enjoyable and informative to folliw this thread.

I want to write a little text for our club magazine about “bond and water“. I want collect some fun facts about it, for example that bond is almost never seen in rain, but is almost in every movie seen in a boat and so on...a basic question came to my mind: is bond ever drinking pure water (i mean no alcohol at all)? And does a thread existexisthat that could help me to find some more facts about water in bondfilms? (For example a list with all underwaterscenes etc...)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It's always enjoyable and informative to folliw this thread.

I want to write a little text for our club magazine about “bond and water“. I want collect some fun facts about it, for example that bond is almost never seen in rain, but is almost in every movie seen in a boat and so on...a basic question came to my mind: is bond ever drinking pure water (i mean no alcohol at all)? And does a thread existexisthat that could help me to find some more facts about water in bondfilms? (For example a list with all underwaterscenes etc...)

There is a Bond statistics thread, but it is a work in progress. I am sure someone can help you as there are people watching all the films all the time here.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just recently having watched SP, Bond and Madeleine arrive at Q's hotel, and near the end of the scene, Q tells Bond he must find L'Americain and; L'Americain will have the answers.

This makes no sense at all, since it's clear this is something that only Mr. White and Madeleine knew about, that's why Bond must find her-- according to the instructions of Mr. White.

So how the hell does Q know anything about L'Americain?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bond informs Q that he has a lead called "L'Americain" at the Hoffler Klinik.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ah, that's right! Thanks @jake24 -- but why is Q so insistent that Bond find this L'Americain?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 10,588
    peter wrote: »
    Ah, that's right! Thanks @jake24 -- but why is Q so insistent that Bond find this L'Americain?
    Because whatever lead Bond had was presumably the only link to Oberhauser. Never really thought much of it.