The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    It bugged me today @jake24 . At least you were able to answer how Q knows.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    is bond ever drinking pure water (i mean no alcohol at all)?
    In CR, Bond drinks a glass of water after he is poisoned, although he adds salt to it. In QOS, Felix drinks bottled water, while Gregg Beam talks about botulism and little kids peeing in a stream.

I imagine Bond drank some of the iced water when he was being tortured in DAD.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    QBranch wrote: »
    is bond ever drinking pure water (i mean no alcohol at all)?
    In CR, Bond drinks a glass of water after he is poisoned, although he adds salt to it. In QOS, Felix drinks bottled water, while Gregg Beam talks about botulism and little kids peeing in a stream.

I imagine Bond drank some of the iced water when he was being tortured in DAD.

Perfect. Thanks for your answer. CR is my favourite but didn't think about that.
    In Octopussy, when Bond listens to the conversation of Orlov and Kamal: Gobinda walks to the helicopter with two men carrying the jewellery. (Around 1h running time)One guy has a moustache, the other has a a beard. One minute later, bond is hiding in a room with dead bodies in bags and two guys are hanging: they look exactly the same as the two before. I watched that movie around ten times and I never thought, that these are the same men, because this doesn't make any sense to me. But they really look identical and they're wearing the same clothes. Did Gobinda kill them? Why? Or is it a coincident?
    Yep, it's the same guys, hence the lines, "Can they be trusted?" (to not steal the jewelry); "I assure you of their silence". Not to mention the look Gobinda gives when he follows them back inside.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow great question @goldenswissroyale and terrific answer @QBranch what a helpful chap you are! ;)
    Thanks, @thedove. I must refine my answer slightly:
    Yep, it's the same guys, hence the lines, "Can they be trusted?" (to not steal the jewelry); "I assure you of their silence".
    More precisely: "Can they be trusted?" to not talk about the jewelry.
    @QBranch thanks, your helpful as always. Strange that these lines never were kept in my mind. Maybe once again a problem of translation...I watch it it mostly in german...I will have to compare it in detail.
    I checked it again, nd the dialogue is almost the same in german (which it isn't always). The specific lines are spoken when you see the two guys and Gobinda walking out. It makes sense, if you listen carefully. Strange, that I never got that(!)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    In Octopussy, when Bond listens to the conversation of Orlov and Kamal: Gobinda walks to the helicopter with two men carrying the jewellery. (Around 1h running time)One guy has a moustache, the other has a a beard. One minute later, bond is hiding in a room with dead bodies in bags and two guys are hanging: they look exactly the same as the two before. I watched that movie around ten times and I never thought, that these are the same men, because this doesn't make any sense to me. But they really look identical and they're wearing the same clothes. Did Gobinda kill them? Why? Or is it a coincident?
    Yep, it's the same guys, hence the lines, "Can they be trusted?" (to not steal the jewelry); "I assure you of their silence". Not to mention the look Gobinda gives when he follows them back inside.

Thank you for sharing this, I had no idea. Must check it out as soon as possible. Fun little story detail to spice things up for those who pick it up.
    No worries, guys. I always thought it was the same two who carried the jewels, but this latest viewing of the scene confirmed it for me, too. So thanks @goldenswissroyale, for bringing it up ;)
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    I'd never realised this either. Nice one!
    I'm glad that there are others who didn't realise this so far.

And do you guys understand, which egg is the real one? Isn't Orlov destroying the wrong one?

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm glad that there are others who didn't realise this so far.

And do you guys understand, which egg is the real one? Isn't Orlov destroying the wrong one?

Of course he's destroying the real egg. Hence Kamal's anguished look as he smashes it.
    Bond switches the fake for the real egg at the Sothebys auction.
    He uses the real egg as collateral during his back gammon game against Kamal Khan, thus letting Khan know he's on to him, and he's also got the real egg.
    Q installs a homer in the real egg, so it can be tracked.
    Khan obtains the real egg, with the aid of Magda.
    Orlov arrives and smashes the egg, much too Khans angst, as he knows its the real egg, that cost him half a million pounds.
    @Benny thanks for your explanation. I understand it the same way. But I found it always strange that Orlov would smash the real one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2019 Posts: 17,809
    @Benny thanks for your explanation. I understand it the same way. But I found it always strange that Orlov would smash the real one.

It's simply because General Orlov thinks it is the fake egg, not the real one it is in actuality. He gets mixed up, as they do obviously look identical.

Orlov therefore wants to prevent any further egg mix-up by eliminating the "fake" egg. You can tell this by his line, "This fake has caused enough trouble!", just before he smashes it with the butt of his gun.
    But why didn't Kamal tell Orlov, that this is the real one?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'd guess timing - he only has a moment to react and tell him to stop as he smashes it.

I guess he didn't have the eggs.
    Maybe Kamal's brain was scrambled?
    He'd been hitting the curare too hard.
    This might have already been answered but I have often wondered why the guards at Piz Gloria are wearing winter coats with the Olympic rings on them? First I am surprised that the Olympic committee would allow this as clearly these guys are the baddies and second why are they on the coats in the first place.

Could be a number of things - holdovers from the 1968 Olympics, or just a nod to the fact that the film features Olympic athletes as bobsledders.
    Interesting thought @Creasy47 maybe in that era the "branding" wasn't as big a deal. I doubt today that the Olympic committee would allow their rings to appear in a movie in a negative way.
    thedove wrote: »
    Interesting thought @Creasy47 maybe in that era the "branding" wasn't as big a deal. I doubt today that the Olympic committee would allow their rings to appear in a movie in a negative way.

It's possible, I don't know enough about the Olympics and their committee these days to say definitively, but it's an interesting thought.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    When Bond is watching the belly dancer in TMWTGG he is being observed by three men which eventually leads to the fight in her changing room.

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but are they supposed to be bouncers/security at the club? And if so why the early interest in Bond when he is doing nothing more than watching the show?

And if they intended to just ask him to leave why the heavy handed approach?

Every time I've watched the film I wonder about it, but have never thrown it out there for opinions.
    NicNac wrote: »
    When Bond is watching the belly dancer in TMWTGG he is being observed by three men which eventually leads to the fight in her changing room.

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but are they supposed to be bouncers/security at the club? And if so why the early interest in Bond when he is doing nothing more than watching the show?

And if they intended to just ask him to leave why the heavy handed approach?

Every time I've watched the film I wonder about it, but have never thrown it out there for opinions.

I think they were part of a scam with the belly dancer.
    Get the tourist into her room and rob/beat him up.

That's how I look at it,and why they were watching Bond from the start.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes, could be that Barry. It would make sense.
    I never understood. My guess was that they were from the local mob and one of them was a jealous lover. Or something.
    Interesting question, and one I have wondered about before. No clues on JB wiki either, other than 'the club is owned by the Lebanese Club Boss, who dislikes Bond making contact with Saida'.