The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I have a question...

What kind of lighter does Bond use exactly in the early films (Connery and Lazenby)?

Is it Ronson as in the novels or a Dunhill?

I'm trying to identify the lighter he used in Dr. No (gunmetal black?) but I can't come to a conclusion.
    Dunhill Broadboy Mrk II PAT.No440072 very rare. Was 3 variations the one Bond uses in Dr No is the case fit model.
    Thank you, sir! :D
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I have a question...

What kind of lighter does Bond use exactly in the early films (Connery and Lazenby)?

I'm trying to identify the lighter he used in Dr. No (gunmetal black?) but I can't come to a conclusion.
    Dunhill Broadboy Mrk II PAT.No440072 very rare. Was 3 variations the one Bond uses in Dr No is the case fit model.

Welcome mate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have a question...

Thank you indeed! :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Watched Thunderball yesterday (again). I really enjoy the pretitle-sequence because of the tension in the beginnig an the good fight. But I realized last night that the story during these first minutes doesn't make any sense (to me).
    Can someone explain why the enemy (bouvard) should be dressed as a widow (his wife?!?) at his faked funeral?

Who is in the coffin? Noone? Is the priest involved?

If you say, the widow is “real“ in the beginning (and she is really played by a woman until she/he is confronted by Bond), why should bouvard take the place of the real widow in the car and dress as a woman?

If it is bouvard from the beginning, isn't it filmed confusing for the viewer, as it is obviously a woman in the chapel?

Did Bond place the jetpack before the action started? Did he know that he has to run away from the other guys?

And is it realistic that bond arrives the house of the widow before bouvard?

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,710
    @goldenswissroyale
    Your questions are all valid, but I'm sure they have been asked by the majority of those who have seen TB since 1965 (in my case, since the 90s), unless they have chosen to ignore the issues and just sit back and enjoy the benefits of the fight at the château. But I can't answer them either.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The only way to see TB in 64 was in a crystal ball.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The only way to see TB in 64 was in a crystal ball.

Called the N64.

I'll get my coat.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I meant to write 1965 and corrected my last posting. Nevertheless, my opinion in that regard stands.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,710
    Now I quoted my original post instead of editing it, so forget this one (is there a way to delete a complete posting instead of writing lenghty explanations?).
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If you say, the widow is “real“ in the beginning (and she is really played by a woman until she/he is confronted by Bond), why should bouvard take the place of the real widow in the car and dress as a woman?

If it is bouvard from the beginning, isn't it filmed confusing for the viewer, as it is obviously a woman in the chapel?

She was never supposed to really be a woman, even at the chapel. Remember, when this was shown in the theatre there was no rewind/reverse, there was no home video or DVD or BluRay. The films wouldn't be on TV for another decade. So, just as with Irma Bunt taking Ruby's place in bed in OHMSS, they wanted the audiences to believe they saw one thing, and then flip it on them. Unless they went back to the theatre and watched it again, the audience member isn't sure what they initially saw. They would think that the error was their's. Filmmaking at the time had different goals and ways to achieve them. The idea that audience members would go back and check for any slight of hand or deception wasn't a factor. The immediate experience was what mattered. I saw it in '68 on a double bill with YOLT and that never entered into my head (of course I was only 6).

I like the explanation of birdleson. Will quote you, if my wife (or chatty friends) should ask something similar at a screening in future.

But the main question remains: why dress as a widow? Maybe to observe, who is attending the funeral...
    To be honest, dress a bad guy as a woman never convinced me in the bond universe (DAF)
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @goldenswissroyale
    Your questions are all valid, but I'm sure they have been asked by the majority of those who have seen TB since 1965 (in my case, since the 90s), unless they have chosen to ignore the issues and just sit back and enjoy the benefits of the fight at the château. But I can't answer them either.

I think that's it: “enjoy the fight, there's no time to ask questions!“

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Does anyone actually like the spectre couch PTS moment?
    I do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I do.

Same here. Good one.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's funny, if a little ill-fitting.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jake24 wrote: »
    No that's his suit you're talking about now.
    jake24 wrote: »
    No that's his suit you're talking about now.
    +1. :))
    Yeah!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Like it. Good humor mixed in the action. Spectre has that.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I like it!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 2,896
    I liked it. One of the few gags in the film worthy of Buster Keaton. The audience in the cinema liked it too.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I do...It was a nice change from CraigBond's serious persona,to see him crack a smile at the irony of falling on a sofa still holding the light in his hand,realising he got lucky.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited April 2018 Posts: 13,384
    Yes. A great little bit of humour....... and
    A great MEME just add a bottle of
    Buckfast to Bond's hand and baseball
    Cap. With a sign " will spy for food "
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I do. We've not had funny Craig Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoyed it.
    I've always been wondering as I don't happen to be a knowledgeable martial arts person in the slightest despite having wanted to explore that side of the world at some point, but I do want to ask this question.

I know there have been many occasions on the internet where people have asked this question but none of them have given any stable reply to it, so I've always wondered what kind of martial arts is Daniel Craig using in his films. I may have heard it is some sort of a mixed martial arts or choreographed into a fake format borrowed from various different types of hand-to-hand combat, however this isn't confirmed. Anyone might know?

@peter? Any ideas, my friend?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I've always been wondering as I don't happen to be a knowledgeable martial arts person in the slightest despite having wanted to explore that side of the world at some point, but I do want to ask this question.

I know there have been many occasions on the internet where people have asked this question but none of them have given any stable reply to it, so I've always wondered what kind of martial arts is Daniel Craig using in his films. I may have heard it is some sort of a mixed martial arts or choreographed into a fake format borrowed from various different types of hand-to-hand combat, however this isn't confirmed. Anyone might know?

I didn't know it was one.

I didn't know it was one.
    It always is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I liked the fighting far more in CR and QoS as it looked more trained and deliberate... but I'm not sure what techniques they used. My training is from the sweet-science: boxing. Although I can admire MMA, I don't know too much about the various combat-techniques outside of boxing, Thai, grappling.

I'd assume that they would take a mish-mash of styles and choreograph the coolest looking fight-sequences.

Interesting question, though. I'll be seeing a friend on Monday who is an ex-competitor in MMA. I should watch a few fight scenes with him and get his thoughts.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Early on the fighting style was reported as Krav Maga.

Wikipedia description: military self-defence and fighting system developed for the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli security forces that derived from a combination of techniques sourced from Boxing, Wrestling, Aikido, Judo and Karate, along with realistic fight training.
    It makes sense if the CR/QoS fighting style is Krav Maga as that's the latest sensation these days and as I'm told, the most effective hand-to-hand combat system in direct approach. I'm keen to get into it myself.