The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Moonraker was acquired with the others. They considered filming it in 1969, that and TMWTGG, but OHMSS it was.

A 1969 version of TMWTGG would have been interesting. I'd be curious to see what a less over-the-top version would have been like.
    Only reason EON did YOLT was cause Bond had a HUGE market in Japan, but for real that market wasn't going anywhere had they just waited another 2 more years to do YOLT. OHMSS should have came before.

Peter Hunt directs OHMSS with Connery in 1967, then Hunt directs YOLT closed to the novel in 1969. Connery would have probably stayed on his they were switched. Now do they still bring in Connery one more time for DAF in 71?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In the silo in TWINE, what logical reason would Renard have for hinting to Bond that he and Elektra are actually working together? Surely he would've been better off playing the role, acting like she's innocent, and it might've even taken longer for Bond to realize that Elektra wasn't who he thought she was.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In the silo in TWINE, what logical reason would Renard have for hinting to Bond that he and Elektra are actually working together? Surely he would've been better off playing the role, acting like she's innocent, and it might've even taken longer for Bond to realize that Elektra wasn't who he thought she was.

Maybe when Renard said "there's no point in living if you can't feel alive" he didn't think Elektra would start saying it herself??? Also maybe Renard didn't think Bond would survive the solo bomb he planted after he went up the elevator
    I had always assumed that line was one of Elektra's, and that he had borrowed it from her. Fair point about Bond not surviving, like plenty of the previous villains that would revel in sharing their master plan, under the assumption Bond wouldn't live long enough to see it happen.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 850
    I have a serious question. I don't want a answer tired by wikipedia or what-so-ever, rather from people who read The Battle for Bond by Robert Sellers.

Did EON have really no possesse the right of utIlising Blofeld and SPECTRE before 2013. Like if there is a justice decision there are be taken giving cleary the right of these to two thing (and not just the cinematic right of Thunderball) to the McClory camp. Or did EON decide, by choice and no by a former justice decision, to not use Blofeld and SPECTRE by fearing the McClory camp can dare pursued them in justice, claiming they have the right of Blofeld and SPECTRE (cause they have the cinematic right of Thunderball), and eventually win the case, so that mean EON take no risk to use them even if the McClory camp can also lose the (potential) case ?

So did EON really legally CAN'T or just didn't WANT to use Blofeld of SPECTRE ?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have a serious question. I don't want a answer tired by wikipedia or what-so-ever, rather from people who read The Battle for Bond by Robert Sellers.

Did EON have really no possesse the right of utIlising Blofeld and SPECTRE before 2013. Like if there is a justice decision there are be taken giving cleary the right of these to two thing (and not just the cinematic right of Thunderball) to the McClory camp. Or did EON decide, by choice and no by a former justice decision, to not use Blofeld and SPECTRE by fearing the McClory camp can dare pursued them in justice, claiming they have the right of Blofeld and SPECTRE (cause they have the cinematic right of Thunderball), and eventually win the case, so that mean EON take no risk to use them even if the McClory camp can also lose the (potential) case ?

This should answer your question...I hope.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/16/mgm-danjaq-settle-james-bond-rights-dispute-with-mcclory-estate
    Nope it's absolutly not, the only think that interest me in this IGN article is the link of "the official press release" (http://web.archive.org/web/20131129131255/http://www.bakerlaw.com/news/BakerHostetler-Settles-Dispute-Over-James-Bond-Rights-with-MGM-Danjaq-11-15-2013) and in this link they only say they have aquired " all of the estate’s and family’s rights and interests relating to James Bond". No detail, could be only the cinematic right of Thunderball, for what I know IGN can have extrapolate with SPECTRE and Blofeld seing these two have reapear since 1971 and because it's a popular rumor that EON have not he right of these two (And yes, unless anyone can quote a precise justice decision who say Blofeld and SPECTRE were the property of McClory, it's just a popular rumor, no ?).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well good luck finding that info. Let me know when you do. ;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Remember this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spy_Who_Loved_Me_(film)

"With a director finally secured, the next hurdle was finishing the script, which had gone through several revisions by numerous writers. The initial villain of the film was Ernst Stavro Blofeld; however Kevin McClory, who owned the film rights to Thunderball forced an injunction on Eon Productions against using the character of Blofeld, or his international criminal organisation, SPECTRE, which delayed production of the film further. The villain was later changed from Blofeld to Stromberg so that the injunction would not interfere with the production."
    In GE, does Bond says "Shut the door, Alec, there's a draught" or "...a draft"? I could've swore it was the latter, but the subtitles say otherwise.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I always thought it was "draft".
    jake24 wrote: »
    I always thought it was "draft".

So did I - "draught" makes no sense, and I also checked some transcribed online script that also mentions it, but it was likely typed up using the film's subtitles, so who knows. Maybe it's just an error in the subtitle department.
  • Apparently "draught" is the British spelling of "draft," those crazy Brits. ;)

So that is what Bond says and that is how the British spell it.
    Ha, isn't that something? Learning something new here every day, doubt I ever would've put that one together. Thanks, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero!
    Yeah but everone can write bullshit in wikipedia, and this section have no source.
  • Sure thing! I guess spelling is one way to distinguish the Brits from the Americans on here!
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,545
    Yeah but everone can write bullshit in wikipedia, and this section have no source.

The information that he posted is fact, though, whether it came from Wikipedia or not. Stromberg was an original creation, yet he's fairly similar to Blofeld through several traits/his scheme (no doubt due to the earlier script that had hoped to utilize ESB).

Yeah but did Broccoli asked to the writters to remove Blofeld because a decision of justice etablished the rights go to McClory or did if ask them to remove Blofeld purely by safety, to be sure to have no problem IF a court decide that McClory have the right he claim ? That the question.
    Due to the injunction, they weren't allowed to use ESB/SPECTRE whatsoever, hence his/their disappearance over the past couple of decades, until SP. The injunction delayed production, so any sort of legal battle would've further delayed production and thrown the series into a hiatus, so they felt that changing key details and utilizing an original character was a quicker, safer method.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Due to the injunction, they weren't allowed to use ESB/SPECTRE whatsoever, hence his/their disappearance over the past couple of decades, until SP. The injunction delayed production, so any sort of legal battle would've further delayed production and thrown the series into a hiatus, so they felt that changing key details and utilizing an original character was a quicker, safer method.
    This.

And you can read it here, note 53: https://books.google.es/books?id=p8XZCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT369&lpg=PT369&dq=memoirs+libel+lawyer+spy+who&source=bl&ots=6UpxcpCAg6&sig=w7Iz3BqcMV4onBFuNuzl5HXzXiU&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicj8n12bPSAhUIbBoKHXF_CsMQ6AEINzAE#v=onepage&q=memoirs libel lawyer spy who&f=false
    Great book, by the way...
    Apparently "draught" is the British spelling of "draft," those crazy Brits. ;)

No its not...a draft means 'windy' and a draught is a measure of drink.....Bond says "shut the door Alec ,there's a 'draft..
    barryt007 wrote: »

No its not...a draft means 'windy' and a draught is a measure of drink.....Bond says "shut the door Alec ,there's a 'draft..

Google says that "draught" is the British variant of "draft."

#

Then Google is wrong..

• barryt007 wrote: »

#

Then Google is wrong..

Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary must also be wrong too then. You're the only one who's right! ;)

But you're right, it's also a drink measurement...or an act of drinking...or a way of storing drink...many things in fact!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Fair enough...English doesnt mean English anymore anyway...Americans always know more,thats why they are the most popular nation in the world and every nation loves them....i know im right but whatever.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

#

Then Google is wrong..

I'm chairman of my national Scrabble Association, have represented the UK three times at the World Scrabble Championship and I won a series of Countdown word-based quiz show.

Draught is the correct British English spelling of what Bond says here, relating to a cold breeze.

Google and everyone else on this thread is right. @barryt007 is wrong.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well that settles that. Thank you, @Tokoloshe. :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Let's all get together and have a draught beer on this revelation.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Let's all get together and have a draught beer on this revelation.
    In duration of six minutes?