The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Hahaha I knew he wouldn't be able to resist..time to get the old stopwatch out eh ?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Here we go!

This may take a while, but I WILL DO IT.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Are you doing it based on scenes he isn't featured in (like Le Chiffre's first scene in CR), or actual shots he isn't featured in - which is far more difficult.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Milovy wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Ken Adam never worked on another Bond film after Moonraker?

I have read in at least two sources that Broccoli was tired of the amount of money that Ken required for his ambitious sets, there seems to be little room for compromise between the two. Broccoli went cheap and avoided future aggravating battles by not engaging Adam after MR.
    This makes sense, since there was severe cost cutting during the early 80's on account of currency, recession, taxes etc. if I read that correctly somewhere. I think MR was partly financed by the French on account of UK taxes.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Are you doing it based on scenes he isn't featured in (like Le Chiffre's first scene in CR), or actual shots he isn't featured in - which is far more difficult.

I was going to do shots!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I have a question about CR
    Once he wins, he has dinner with vesper. She gets a text saying Mathis needs her. Then she leaves. Then bond goes "Mathis". And then he knows something has gone wrong. How did he know and what told him something is wrong
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Once he wins, he has dinner with vesper. She gets a text saying Mathis needs her. Then she leaves. Then bond goes "Mathis". And then he knows something has gone wrong. How did he know and what told him something is wrong
    My assumption for it is Bond's wondering why would Mathis want something from Vesper when Bond is the senior agent in the field he should talk to. Being a MI-6 agent, he has very little to discuss with a HM Treasury representative regarding business. Bond assumed Mathis sold them out, and Le Chiffre later made that clear to him in order to mislead him.
    My assumption for it is Bond's wondering why would Mathis want something from Vesper when Bond is the senior agent in the field he should talk to. Being a MI-6 agent, he has very little to discuss with a HM Treasury representative regarding business. Bond assumed Mathis sold them out, and Le Chiffre later made that clear to him in order to mislead him.
    This is a good question, and has always been one of the mysteries of the film to me. Your explanation is plausible and makes sense, but it's not something I would have thought of. Even on my last most recent viewing I found myself confounded by that moment. Unless there is something in the novel that I missed (it's been ages since I read it).
    @JamesBondKenya @ClarkDevlin @bondjames That is probably the worst-executed bit of CR, it is so unclear.
    Does anyone know why Ken Adam never worked on another Bond film after Moonraker?

I have read in at least two sources that Broccoli was tired of the amount of money that Ken required for his ambitious sets, there seems to be little room for compromise between the two. Broccoli went cheap and avoided future aggravating battles by not engaging Adam after MR.
    That would make sense.

I was going to do shots!
    Could always use a stop watch and just run it every time Bond's on screen (or not on screen).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is a good question, and has always been one of the mysteries of the film to me. Your explanation is plausible and makes sense, but it's not something I would have thought of. Even on my last most recent viewing I found myself confounded by that moment. Unless there is something in the novel that I missed (it's been ages since I read it).
    Can't try and find another angle, @bondjames. What crossed your mind during Bond's realization?

And agreed, @Milovy. It's been ages for me since I've read the novel, but I don't remember Mathis' involvement in the book during the parallel scene. Wasn't it some sort of an outsider letter Vesper was given to collect by a waiter?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Can't try and find another angle, @bondjames. What crossed your mind during Bond's realization?
    @ClarkDevlin, I'm always at a complete loss for why he suddenly decides to abandon his evidently delicious dinner to chase after Vesper. The only other thing that came to mind once was that Bond suspected someone of revealing his insights on LeChiffre's 'tell' to the banker. Perhaps it suddenly dawned on him that it could have been Mathis, but even then it's coincidental and strange for him to have thought of this at that very moment.
    @ClarkDevlin, I'm always at a complete loss for why he suddenly decides to abandon his evidently delicious dinner to chase after Vesper. The only other thing that came to mind once was that Bond suspected someone of revealing his insights on LeChiffre's 'tell' to the banker. Perhaps it suddenly dawned on him that it could have been Mathis, but even then it's coincidental and strange for him to have thought of this at that very moment.
    I think this is it. The next time Bond and Vesper discuss Mathis, it's so Bond can share his opinion that someone was talking to Le Chiffre, and Bond believes it was Mathis. (Then there are two competing theories left: Vesper was talking to Le Chiffre, or nobody was... You can make an argument for either.)

@JamesBondKenya @ClarkDevlin @bondjames That is probably the worst-executed bit of CR, it is so unclear.

That would make sense.

I was going to do shots!
    Could always use a stop watch and just run it every time Bond's on screen (or not on screen).

That's what I am gonna do.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 850
    The response is in the film at the scene on the beach with Vesper :
    Bond : "Remember I told you about Le Chiffre's tell ? Well, Mathis told Le Chiffre. That's how he wiped me out".

At dinner table, Bond reflect and rethink about how he lose against Le Chiffre. How Le Chiffre has discovred Bond have discover his fail (the blood eyes when he bluff at poker) ? Bond told he dicovered the fail at only two persson : Mathis and Vesper.
  • NicNac wrote: »

I was going to do shots!

Doing shots while clocking the percentage of Bond's time onscreen will make it very difficult. Maybe you should save the shots for afterwards—to celebrate.
    The response is in the film at the scene on the beach with Vesper :
    Bond : "Remember I told you about Le Chiffre's tell ? Well, Mathis told Le Chiffre. That's how he wiped me out".

At dinner table, Bond reflect and rethink about how he lose against Le Chiffre. How Le Chiffre has discovred Bond have discover his fail (the blood eyes when he bluff at poker) ? Bond told he dicovered the fail at only two persson : Mathis and Vesper.
    Thanks for pointing that out. This would suggest that Bond perhaps suspected Vesper as well for a time, although his affection for her might have clouded his perception.
    I'm a little confused. How else am I supposed to do it?
  • Sober? ;)
    Another thing in CR is when vesper doesn't stake him in the game, he grabs a knife and starts walking to le chiffere , was his plan to just kill him? Or to arrest him or what?
  • Another thing in CR is when vesper doesn't stake him in the game, he grabs a knife and starts walking to le chiffere , was his plan to just kill him? Or to arrest him or what?

I suspect he was going to do to Le Chiffre something similar to what Le Chiffre wound up doing to him.
    But why, wasn't the whole plan to bring him in alive
  • But why, wasn't the whole plan to bring him in alive

Yes, as a willing turncoat not by force. Which begs the question why not by force if they know where Le Chiffre is going to be? With no other options and clearly clouded judgment, Bond is likely going to a) impulsively kill Le Chiffre, or more likely b) attempt to bring Le Chiffre in by force.
  • Good question. My assumption has always been that Orso was Medrano's man and he was prepared to shoot or arrest Greene on Medrano's order. But I guess this interpretation is only reinforced by the fact that Greene's threat refers to something happening to Medrano at a later time—in his sleep—and not immediately.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think it's implying that Lt. Orso is protecting Medrano. Greene and Quantum know that anyone can replace Medrano. They just need someone to manipulate, as Greene says, if the current president had been more co-operative, then they wouldn't need Medrano.
    Quantum is still a film I just don't take too. I know it has its fans, but as a Bond film it fails for me. I get no excitement or sense of fun from it whatsoever. I wonder how non fans would view it as a standalone film.
    Even as a Bond fan it's not a good standalone film at all.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,000
    Benny wrote: »
    I think it's implying that Lt. Orso is protecting Medrano. Greene and Quantum know that anyone can replace Medrano. They just need someone to manipulate, as Greene says, if the current president had been more co-operative, then they wouldn't need Medrano.
    Quantum is still a film I just don't take too. I know it has its fans, but as a Bond film it fails for me. I get no excitement or sense of fun from it whatsoever. I wonder how non fans would view it as a standalone film.
    Even as a Bond fan it's not a good standalone film at all.

I agree wholeheartedly! And I can say from experience talking with non-Bond-fan friends that it isn't received well. One friend of mine has never seen a Bond film other than QoS, and she has a very low opinion of it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Good question. My assumption has always been that Orso was Medrano's man and he was prepared to shoot or arrest Greene on Medrano's order. But I guess this interpretation is only reinforced by the fact that Greene's threat refers to something happening to Medrano at a later time—in his sleep—and not immediately.

Greene says something like 'If you don't believe me, shoot me and take the money', knowing that it's Medrano's man who has his hand on the gun ready.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That whole commentary by Greene is one of several excellent exchanges in QoS. Others includes the ones between M & the foreign minister, between Felix & Beam & also between Bond and Mathis in Italy. Those who follow geopolitics will recognize that cloudy shades of grey permeate that world far more than black and white.

My take is that Orso was Medrano's man. He went for the gun because of Greene's attitude & was waiting for Medrano's order.
    That whole commentary by Greene is one of several excellent exchanges in QoS. Others includes the ones between M & the foreign minister, between Felix & Beam & also between Bond and Mathis in Italy. Those who follow geopolitics will recognize that cloudy shades of grey permeate that world far more than black and white.

My take is that Orso was Medrano's man. He went for the gun because of Greene's attitude & was waiting for Medrano's order.

Same here...I have never thought of it being anything else.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Something that I have gone back and forth on for years. In QOS, when Greene tells General Medrano that if he doesn't sign the water agreement he will wake up with his balls in his mouth and his willing replacement ready to step in, Lt. Orso immediately puts his hand on his holstered revolver and keeps it there until Medrano signs. Are we supposed to infer that Orso is the "willing replacement", or is he ready to shoot Greene and Elvis on Medrano's order? I usually come out thinking it's the former, but I'm never quite solid about either conclusion.

Everyone else has already chimed in, but it's more than likely that Orso is Medrano's man, and he'll cut down Elvis and Greene upon his order. Just moments later, he stands guard while Medrano is about to rape the female hotel worker, so I doubt he would threaten to shoot him in one instance, just to stand guard for something like that moments later.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 676
    Does anyone know if the special features on the Bond blu-rays are in HD, or are they the same SD presentations that can be found on the Ultimate Edition DVDs? (I am wondering specifically about the GoldenEye deleted scenes.)