The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @jake24, she was supposed to be in the shoes of Mr. Chang. I believe they approached her for the role, but she has conflicted schedules so she dropped out. The part was rewritten.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That was the situation as I knew it. I found this MI6 article from '03 that supplies us with some background info:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_20_wai_lin.php3
    I wish she accepted the role, dammit!!! That would've been brilliant!!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Indeed it would have!
    I will have to look out for the ice golf course next time I watch DAD,which,you can see briefly as Bond runs to the dragster.

Shame they scrapped it in the actual film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I will have to look out for the ice golf course next time I watch DAD,which,you can see briefly as Bond runs to the dragster.

DAD should've ended with Bond and Graves battling for supremacy over 10 holes of putt-putt golf. Whichever man was lowest under par would be victorious, while the other would meet his demise as punishment. Bond would ultimately win in the end, finishing the 10th hole in just two putts, while Graves would go bogey thanks to one of those infuriating windmill obstructions with blades that spin in front of a small tunnel that leads to the hole, invariably knocking your golf ball about as you try to make it through. Bond would then quip, "What a stroke of luck."

Somehow, I think even that would've been better than the Robocop meets Con-Air garbage we got.
    barryt007 wrote: »

DAD should've ended with Bond and Graves battling for supremacy over 10 holes of putt-putt golf. Whichever man was lowest under par would be victorious, while the other would meet his demise as punishment. Bond would ultimately win in the end, finishing the 10th hole in just two putts, while Graves would go bogey thanks to one of those infuriating windmill obstructions with blades that spin in front of a small tunnel that leads to the hole, invariably knocking your golf ball about as you try to make it through. Bond would then quip, "What a stroke of luck."

Somehow, I think even that would've been better than the Robocop meets Con-Air garbage we got.

Hahaha that made me laugh Brady,and yet so true at the same time ...

:-O
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,079
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody knows if Eric Pholmann was ever considered to play Blofeld in the flesh?

In the flesh no. I think they originally planned to use Pholmann to dub the original actor for Blofeld in YOLT, since he was a Czech actor. But when Donald Pleasence was cast that was put aside. I do wish we could have seen a Blofeld that physically matched the Dawson/Pholmann portrayal while retaining Pholmann's voice however.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Savalas was the perfect mix of Pholmann's montone and Dawson's leanness and height. If I had to rank Blofelds, he would probably be number 1, with maybe Gray coming close behind.
    I've never watched any film with a commentary, is it something I'm missing out on? I remember watching DAD with the notes that came up on the screen but never a commentary
    Alan007 wrote: »
    I've never watched any film with a commentary, is it something I'm missing out on? I remember watching DAD with the notes that came up on the screen but never a commentary

The commentaries are great ways to learn things you may not know from the films, as those involved share tidbits about the production you wouldn't get elsewhere.

Mendes' commentary for SF was particularly interesting.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I used to hate commentaries, but now I love them.
  • I think Savalas was the perfect mix of Pholmann's montone and Dawson's leanness and height. If I had to rank Blofelds, he would probably be number 1, with maybe Gray coming close behind.

Savalas is great. The only thing is what made the Blofeld of FRWL/TB sinister (aside from only seeing his hands stroking the cat) was the smoothe, deep, and vague European accent. Nonetheless the unseen Blofeld is my favorite.
    Savalas somewhat lacked that Nazi leader look which is why I see him more as a regular Bond villain. His physicality is superior, but the Blofeld I imagined in my mind, the Pohlemann Blofeld that is, is somewhat snobbish, distinguished, upper class and the middle aged baron type sinister villain who threatens both with the mind and the physicality.
    Savalas somewhat lacked that Nazi leader look which is why I see him more as a regular Bond villain. His physicality is superior, but the Blofeld I imagined in my mind, the Pohlemann Blofeld that is, is somewhat snobbish, distinguished, upper class and the middle aged baron type sinister villain who threatens both with the mind and the physicality.

That's why I think Savalas rounds off the best. He is the only Blofeld we've seen who looks like he could kill Bond in a fight (and nearly does), he's a learned man with a massively devious knack for manipulation, he's the snob of snobs, and has a face that reads, "The world is mine, and so are you."

It's why Tracy refers to him rather astutely as the "Master of the World." He views himself as a king and owner of all he sees, and questions when people don't "get" it. The sun rises and sets for him, strangers are merely future slaves to his master plan, and Bond is just a foolish government foot soldier, another bump in the road to his destiny.

That's why I think Savalas rounds off the best. He is the only Blofeld we've seen who looks like he could kill Bond in a fight (and nearly does), he's a learned man with a massively devious knack for manipulation, he's the snob of snobs, and has a face that reads, "The world is mine, and so are you."

It's why Tracy refers to him rather astutely as the "Master of the World." He views himself as a king and owner of all he sees, and questions when people don't "get" it. The sun rises and sets for him, strangers are merely future slaves to his master plan, and Bond is just a foolish government foot soldier, another bump in the road to his destiny.
    I can't argue with that, Brady. He is a terrific villain, but he still isn't the Blofeld that I expected the mysterious figure to turn out to be. I imagined his face to be more wrinkled, demonic, someone who used to be a high ranking Waffen SS officer (that type), in the mould of an older Anton Diffring who knows how to handle himself in a fight as well as being the utterly sinister mastermind and criminal genius. Savalas had it all written in the role, but he was somewhat younger for the image promised in Blofeld's first two appearances. You know where I'm coming from?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694

I can't argue with that, Brady. He is a terrific villain, but he still isn't the Blofeld that I expected the mysterious figure to turn out to be. I imagined his face to be more wrinkled, demonic, someone who used to be a high ranking Waffen SS officer (that type), in the mould of an older Anton Diffring who knows how to handle himself in a fight as well as being the utterly sinister mastermind and criminal genius. Savalas had it all written in the role, but he was somewhat younger for the image promised in Blofeld's first two appearances. You know where I'm coming from?

Maybe. Watching the early films and seeing Blofeld hidden from view does make you think he's badly scarred and the writers aren't ready to show us his full image yet. I can get that perspective a little.

I think Savalas is all about balance. He had the danger and stature Pleasence lacked, and was a more forceful and sadistic counterpoint to Gray after him. That's why he's always been the far and away superior incarnation. One of the most bizarre, disconcerting scenes in Bond history must be when he puts the Angels of Death in a trance and informs Ruby, "I've taught you to love chickens, to love their flesh, their voice" with that uneasy monotone of his.

But worst of all, he took Tracy from us. B@#$%^&.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423

Maybe. Watching the early films and seeing Blofeld hidden from view does make you think he's badly scarred and the writers aren't ready to show us his full image yet. I can get that perspective a little.

I think Savalas is all about balance. He had the danger and stature Pleasence lacked, and was a more forceful and sadistic counterpoint to Gray after him. That's why he's always been the far and away superior incarnation. One of the most bizarre, disconcerting scenes in Bond history must be when he puts the Angels of Death in a trance and informs Ruby, "I've taught you to love chickens, to love their flesh, their voice" with that uneasy monotone of his.

But worst of all, he took Tracy from us. B@#$%^&.
    If we compare to how he was in the original OHMSS book, then it's fair to say that Savalas brought the balance quite well. Apart from that scar on his face, I don't find Pleasance intimidating at all. And the reason I like Gray's Blofeld is because he's amusing to watch. A charming villain. Waltz's Blofeld was a mixture of both Pleasance and Gray, lacking in the physicality department which is why Savalas will always be the best. But, imagine if we had Yul Brynner. He would've been the ultimate Blofeld.

blofelds.jpg

The reason I am robbed of seeing Savalas as the most convincing Ernst Stavro Blofeld we were promised first (before Pleasance) is because perhaps I'm used to seeing him as the good guy Kojak. Can't imagine him as that supervillain on a throne with a crown on his head. I get that vibe from Jared Harris in Game of Shadows and a bit from Mark Strong regarding the modern actors.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Anyone else think the helicopter pilot from SP's PTS looks a bit like Robert Wade?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,079
    You hit the nail on the head with Yul Brynner, in fact, an image I've come across;

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/11/3/8/3/7669713555226492.jpg

You hit the nail on the head with Yul Brynner, in fact, an image I've come across;

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/11/3/8/3/7669713555226492.jpg
    He was on the set of You Only Live Twice with Sean. There are off set pictures with both having drinks and conversations. One would've thought he's Blofeld, back then. :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brynner would have been a poor Blofeld. No better than Pleasence.
    Agree to disagree, Dr. Thunderfinger. ;)
    So Thunderfinger is a doctor now?
    jake24 wrote: »
    So Thunderfinger is a doctor now?

That is a gynealogical and psychological question.
    Not just any other Doctor. Doctor Supreme. Or so his graduation certificate claims.
    Not just any other Doctor. Doctor Supreme. Or so his graduation certificate claims.
    You mean the one he hand-wrote?

With my supreme finger.

With my supreme finger.
    Yep, the Midas touch, they said.

With my supreme finger.
    Gross.