The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Not just any other Doctor. Doctor Supreme. Or so his graduation certificate claims.
    You mean the one he hand-wrote?

With my supreme finger.
    Gross.

Gross is an old Norwegian term for twelve dozen, that is 144. I only have ten.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In TND, why are the guards so quick to chase after Bond after he breaks into Gupta's office, when Wai Lin runs mere inches past them and they don't seem to pay her any mind? In fact, her entire escape is pretty casual, whereas Bond deals with a solid dozen or so goons.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In AVTAK, would the car chase whilst in pursuit of MayDay have been better, if the taxi that Bond stole, wasn't destroyed in the way it was. If Bond merely used it, and arrived at the bridge dodging Parisian traffic and pedestrians.
    It's a scene that goes too far over the top, when it could've played out better imo.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    In TND, why are the guards so quick to chase after Bond after he breaks into Gupta's office, when Wai Lin runs mere inches past them and they don't seem to pay her any mind? In fact, her entire escape is pretty casual, whereas Bond deals with a solid dozen or so goons.
    Movie nonsense. Writer's forced an idea. ;)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Sexism.

Benny wrote: »
    In AVTAK, would the car chase whilst in pursuit of MayDay have been better, if the taxi that Bond stole, wasn't destroyed in the way it was. If Bond merely used it, and arrived at the bridge dodging Parisian traffic and pedestrians.
    It's a scene that goes too far over the top, when it could've played out better imo.
    Not really a question, more of a statement. I do agree

• gt007gt007 Station G

Perhaps, given that Carver was already more than suspicious of Bond but had no idea about Wai Lin, he had his goons briefed and they recognised 007. Being dumb and blinded by the threat, they didn't pay attention to Wai Lin.

It might be a poor explanation, but an explanation nonetheless of a possibly forced but quite entertaining - at least for me - joke.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I really enjoy the over the top humor of that sequence, but I suppose a more serious, tense car chase would have been nice. In that case, though, I'd want Bond in a better car.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @gt007, works for me. I suppose they would be rather focused on Bond due to Carver giving them a heads up.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not really a question, more of a statement. I do agree

Well rather than make a new thread, that might last a page or two, I thought such a question or statement could be posed in this thread.

In fact, that chase used stunts Rémy Julienne had used before, in the movie Le Cerveau. Yes, by that time, the king of french stuntmen was pretty much in an environmentalist mood : he recycled a lot of his ideas.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    In SP, when Oberhauser does the slow reveal of his full name, "Ernst.... Starvo... Blofield" what was he expecting Bond to say, "Damn, man I remember you from back in '71"?
    In SP, when Oberhauser does the slow reveal of his full name, "Ernst.... Starvo... Blofield" what was he expecting Bond to say, "Damn, man I remember you from back in '71"?

I think that was for the audience's sake. Mendes was expecting them to go "Wow! He's Blofeld?!?! I didn't see that completely figgin' obvious thing coming!"

I think that was for the audience's sake. Mendes was expecting them to go "Wow! He's Blofeld?!?! I didn't see that completely figgin' obvious thing coming!"

That's why the big reveal doesn't work. Everyone saw it coming a mile off and the name reveal means precisely nothing to Bond. Hence his indifference to it.
    I would have you preferred Mr.white to be revealed as Blofeld because at least it wouldn't be so obvious.
    I wouldn't have had a problem with Franz Oberhauser as the main antagonist and villain developing hatred for Bond as a formerly foster brother, had they played it right.

The "daddy like you better, so I killed him, then I'll kill you!" scheme is nothing short of sheer stupidity at best. The same goes for the revelation of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Franz could've hated Bond because he joined MI-6 and their paths crossed in the middle of the road to confrontation and botching SPECTRE's plans. Hannes Oberhauser, Franz's father, was killed by Major Dexter Smythe, a traitorous MI-6 man while stealing Nazi gold with the help of Hannes. So, to cover it up, he kills the former and lies about it to his superiors, then retires and is seen as a war hero. That's why Franz hates England, MI-6 and despises Bond for joining the organization whom Smythe worked for.

Once Franz is killed at the end of the movie, SPECTRE's leadership throne is inherited by a mysterious figure who takes the position and unveils himself as Ernst Stavro Blofeld, having his face coming out of the shadows, then the credits roll in.

That wasn't so hard, now, was it?
    I like the idea of Bond having a horrible memory and going along with what Frank said when it was entirely made up.
    I wouldn't have had a problem with Franz Oberhauser as the main antagonist and villain developing hatred for Bond as a formerly foster brother, had they played it right.

The "daddy like you better, so I killed him, then I'll kill you!" scheme is nothing short of sheer stupidity at best. The same goes for the revelation of Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Franz could've hated Bond because he joined MI-6 and their paths crossed in the middle of the road to confrontation and botching SPECTRE's plans. Hannes Oberhauser, Franz's father, was killed by Major Dexter Smythe, a traitorous MI-6 man while stealing Nazi gold with the help of Hannes. So, to cover it up, he kills the former and lies about it to his superiors, then retires and is seen as a war hero. That's why Franz hates England, MI-6 and despises Bond for joining the organization whom Smythe worked for.

Once Franz is killed at the end of the movie, SPECTRE's leadership throne is inherited by a mysterious figure who takes the position and unveils himself as Ernst Stavro Blofeld, having his face coming out of the shadows, then the credits roll in.

I like it. If only Mendes had the sense that most fans have.

But the reveal was not meant to be a big twist. Bond is not a Agatha Christie. Whatever one can say about Oberhauser turning into Blofeld, it was meant to be a Jekyll and Hyde or a Dracula twist.
    Ludovico wrote: »

But the reveal was not meant to be a big twist. Bond is not a Agatha Christie. Whatever one can say about Oberhauser turning into Blofeld, it was meant to be a Jekyll and Hyde or a Dracula twist.
    Even that didn't deliver.
    Not sure I understand what you mean. It was not meant to be a big unexpected reveal but a very expected one.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Then why didn't they reveal it straight away?
    Not sure I understand what you mean. It was not meant to be a big unexpected reveal but a very expected one.
    The reveal that was supposed to be the Jekyll/Hyde or Dracula type of a revelation... They didn't even succeed in that. Blofeld didn't have a reason to reveal his true name. There was no meaning behind it. The name meant nothing to Bond, nor was it a wow-factor to anyone around.

"I'm Blofeld. No longer Oberhauser."
    "So?"

See? I don't see why Franz would've told him he's Blofeld. What good would it have done to him or Bond? He spoke that for the audience to hear and be wowed, not realizing that it was rushed by the writers to force that down our throats. The earlier drafts had better revelations. It was Bond who slapped it to his face in the earlier drafts.
    Well I cannot speak for them but I always understood they wanted the audience or at least the fans to be in on it. Frankly when Waltz was cast and SP was the revealed title what else was anyone expecting?
    Exactly. Bad marketing strategy at best.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Why was Blofeld's "demise" left so ambiguous in DAF? Always seemed sloppy to me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I agree. Oberhauser could have been a Largo-like figure.
    echo wrote: »
    Why was Blofeld's "demise" left so ambiguous in DAF? Always seemed sloppy to me.

Because I believe Cubby wanted to bring Blofeld back in future movies. As evidence with TSWLM. Blofeld was the original villain scripted in but they changed it to Stromberg after legal problems with Kevin Mclory.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

Because I believe Cubby wanted to bring Blofeld back in future movies. As evidence with TSWLM. Blofeld was the original villain scripted in but they changed it to Stromberg after legal problems with Kevin Mclory.

Correct,but it was still a under-whelming ending,something that really annoys me about the whole oil-rig scene.

Not one inkling of tension or suspense,almost 'Carry On Bond' ..

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I believe it had something to do with them having to scrap the original ending idea. Wasn't Blofeld supposed to get away and Bond chases him to a salt mine where they have a finale confrontation?