Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It appears so, and 'The Hobbit' was the one that was delayed. Interesting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It will beat Skyfall's gross anyway it seems. Oh well, third place for 2012 isn't bad!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Are you positive TDKR is yet to open in China?
    According to this, it opened in China last August and did over $52m at the BO there...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=batman3.htm

This is the cumulative for "only" the first three weeks. It did in the end north of 55.4M$ (it shows how movies "die" quickly there !).
    Also, remember the release was Spiderman + TDKR + Prometheus at once on the first week, and the Expendables 2 the week after (who took the spot 1 from Spiderman) !
    Skyfall has no such frontal competition. It is however hard to know yet if it will open on many screens, or whether the two 3D animated movies release in the same days as Skyfall are there to fill the 3D screens or not. There's a comedy movie also that I forgot to list in my previous data above.

For the Hobbit, "everybody" says China love 3D, so it may be a boost Skyfall won't have (but nobody knows...). But the competition is not known to me yet.

PS : Estimations are that in China there are about 10 new screens opening... per day.
  • Job well done 007. Everything feels in pristine order and ready for another fifty years.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The expression " Old Dogs New Tricks " does really fit in well with the success of Skyfall.
  • Tracking China box office before the release of Skyfall in two weeks now.
    Oh the irony about all this box office discussion, this week in China, the Chan movie and the local "Hangover"-like movie are on the top of box office. More persons went to see "Lost in Thailand" (6.1M vs 5.8M), but CZ12 earned more money (37M$ vs 32M$). So you decide who is #1 and #2 !
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm jealous; I'm dying to see 'Chinese Zodiac.' I love Chan.
    Is SF released in china this week?
    No, Monday 21st.
    78 653 tickets sold in France for SF's 11th week, for a grand total of 6 906 293 seats. Let's hope we manage 7 000 000 tickets before Skyfall disappears from the theaters.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No, Monday 21st.

Still ages away! SF will have beaten TB by then!
    Its at
    Domestic: $297,793,213 29.1%
    + Foreign: $726,400,000 70.9%

= Worldwide: $1,024,193,213

I hope, it does make the 300 in the US.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 115
    If it does reach the 300, it'll only set an even higher bar for Bond 24. Let it at least try for something to meet the bar Skyfall set and make it higher.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Its at
    Domestic: $297,793,213 29.1%
    + Foreign: $726,400,000 70.9%

= Worldwide: $1,024,193,213

I hope, it does make the 300 in the US.

Wait for the upcoming weekend. Some extra millions will be added then, both in the USA and outside the USA.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Tuulia wrote:
    Amazing. For some time now it's been just a matter of time, really, but I'm happy it got there before the end of the year. Fantastic news. Can't wait to get home from my hols so that I can go watch it again to celebrate (my 6th time, too). Congratulations to everyone involved, especially to Barbara, Michael, Daniel and Sam - and obviously all the fans of Skyfall.

Well, I've been sick like a dog since I got back from Christmas hols. Today was possibly the last chance to see it, so I decided I'm well enough to venture outdoors, and so I went... and was told it was sold out. SOLD OUT? :-O Geez. Hadn't prepared for that, obviously. It's been in town since October 26th, and it is still sold out on January 13th? Seriously, folks at the local cinema, try and hold on to it for a bit longer, pleeeeeeese. [-O< Some people still want to spend money on it. Gawddamn.

:((
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Tuulia wrote:
    Tuulia wrote:
    Amazing. For some time now it's been just a matter of time, really, but I'm happy it got there before the end of the year. Fantastic news. Can't wait to get home from my hols so that I can go watch it again to celebrate (my 6th time, too). Congratulations to everyone involved, especially to Barbara, Michael, Daniel and Sam - and obviously all the fans of Skyfall.

Well, I've been sick like a dog since I got back from Christmas hols. Today was possibly the last chance to see it, so I decided I'm well enough to venture outdoors, and so I went... and was told it was sold out. SOLD OUT? :-O Geez. Hadn't prepared for that, obviously. It's been in town since October 26th, and it is still sold out on January 13th? Seriously, folks at the local cinema, try and hold on to it for a bit longer, pleeeeeeese. [-O< Some people still want to spend money on it. Gawddamn.

:((

Sold out, still! Well, that is a true testimony of how impressive the results are for Skyfall. I think theaters should keep it longer because with the award season I'm sure a lot of people will remain interested to watch it.

I hope you get well soon @Tuulia, I was sick for most of my Christmas holidays, so I can relate.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Mind you - I was yesterday again for a last time and the middle sized theater was packed, too. Lots of laughs and a good atmosphere overall.

Tuulia, sorry you were sick.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    It is sold out here too. Last week it replaced Jack Reacher to take the biggest theater. IN JANUARY! And it sold out then too.
    And I live in a pretty middle sized town In Sweden! :O
    We're now at $1,032,863,000 worldwide and have beaten Thunderball's total. This time next week we'll have $300 million in the US.

$90 million until we're in fifth place of the all time list and still a week without China.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SF has beaten TB?? What about bloody TDKR?? My internet's arsing up so I can't really check.
    doubleoego wrote:
    SF has beaten TB?? What about bloody TDKR?? My internet's arsing up so I can't really check.

Yeah, that's the real deal for me, too. No, I think, it needs another 50 for that.

Yes Brady, I know... :-SS
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,271
    Congrats to SF for beating TB, and a big pat on the back to me for predicting this before SF was even released....... \:D/

And for all you doubting Thomas's out there who didn't think it was possible, you should have had a little more faith!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    doubleoego wrote:

Not TDKR yet... We have around 50M left to go.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    We're now at $1,032,863,000 worldwide and have beaten Thunderball's total. This time next week we'll have $300 million in the US.

$90 million until we're in fifth place of the all time list and still a week without China.

Beaten TB???????????????????????????????????? according to only one list, which is lowest count dollar wise for all the Bond films.
    We've been here many times........other calculations state SF would need to reach 1.3 billion.
    Another list posted states the film would need to gross well over $1.1 bil.

Lets all wait until after the Chinese BO for SF, before making premature announcemnets...eh????

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Come on Jimmy! You can beat that pointy-eared, mask-wearing, cave dwelling little rich boy!
    mepal1 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Beaten TB???????????????????????????????????? according to only one list, which is lowest count dollar wise for all the Bond films.
    We've been here many times........other calculations state SF would need to reach 1.3 billion.
    Another list posted states the film would need to gross well over $1.1 bil.

Lets all wait until after the Chinese BO for SF, before making premature announcemnets...eh????

Links please.. we've been HERE before too. :-w
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Yeah, that's the real deal for me, too. No, I think, it needs another 50 for that.

I'm more bothered about that too.

At the end of the day, it beating TB is Bond beating Bond. Not that big a deal to me. Bond beating TDKR is Bond beating the most successful action franchise of the past few years.
    Germanlady wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I'm more bothered about that too.

At the end of the day, it beating TB is Bond beating Bond. Not that big a deal to me. Bond beating TDKR is Bond beating the most successful action franchise of the past few years.

I can recall 6 months ago......when most fans would have loved to see 'Skyfall' beating 'Thunderball', inflation adjusted figures included.
    How much money do people think SF will make in China? Would be great to bump up the final tally beyond Dark Knight Rises.
    Well over the $50 million needed, so no worries there. Hopefully $75 million but really it's all guess work plus there's still one non-China weekend to go.