Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

Gustav, you meant Friday, not Sunday, right? ;)
    Tuulia wrote:
    Gustav, you meant Friday, not Sunday, right? ;)

Corrected hehe :-P.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    TDKR was one of, if not the, most anticipated film of the year. It had tons of people waiting with baited breath for it, it was the sequel to The Dark Knight, one of the most successful films of all time.

If Bond beats that, it's the icing on the cake. It proves that Bond is back on top again, for the first time since the 60s.

And I really enjoyed TDKR, but I think SF is a better film and deserves more money.

Again, you're missing the point... :-<

How?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting my favourite film series to beat a film which had a major advantage and which was one of the most anticipated, successful films ever made.

Like I said, I think it'll really prove that Bond is back on top again. Bye Bats, you had a good run but Bond has retaken his place as the action movie king (success wise anyway, if we're talking about the films themselves, I think The Raid was the best action film of the year).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bond has surpassed $1 billion in the box office and is close to being the number one Bond film of all time. Why does it have to beat TDKR to prove it is 'back on top'?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Bond has surpassed $1 billion in the box office and is close to being the number one Bond film of all time. Why does it have to beat TDKR to prove it is 'back on top'?

Bond is on top.. of the spy genre a.k.a the only one relative to it imo. It still beats out Bourne, Mission:Impossible, and any other attempts to dethrone it.

I see no issues with it's progress.
    Creasy47 wrote:

It doesn't have to, I'd just like it to because I think it'd be the icing on the cake.

The number one Bond film of all time doesn't excite me as much because at the end of the day they're all Bond films. They're all part of the same series so they're not really in competition.

Bond beats Bond doesn't make me as happy as Bond beats the most successful action franchise of the last few years (Batman) and reclaims his blockbuster action film throne.
  • RC7RC7
    TDKR was one of, if not the, most anticipated film of the year. It had tons of people waiting with baited breath for it, it was the sequel to The Dark Knight, one of the most successful films of all time.

If Bond beats that, it's the icing on the cake. It proves that Bond is back on top again, for the first time since the 60s (not that the series hasn't been successful since then, they've always been extremely popular films, but it hasn't been this successful since the 60s).

And I really enjoyed TDKR, but I think SF is a better film and deserves more money.

This is a really good point mate and completely relevant. I fail to see why some people can't grasp it. Beating TDKR would be an astonishing achievement. The event movies of the last 5 years trumped by a 50 year old franchise straying into untested territory.

Re. success, IMO word of mouth is the primary factor in it's BO. Just my opinion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Exactly my point. People aren't happy until one film beats the other financially. What a crock. They can't just be happy that the films all individually did fantastic, and forget about stupid contention.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Exactly my point. People aren't happy until one film beats the other financially. What a crock. They can't just be happy that the films all individually did fantastic, and forget about stupid contention.

'Bond 24' is going to be an absolute failure and a terrible film if it doesn't beat 'Transformers 4' or 'The Hobbit: There and Back Again.'

I've stated that it would be cool if Bond managed to beat other $1 billion achievers of 2012, because I never once thought that was possible, but to say that one is better than the other or one is only going to be great when it beats the other is ludicrous.
    @RC7 Thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone here.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've stated that it would be cool if Bond managed to beat other $1 billion achievers of 2012, because I never once thought that was possible, but to say that one is better than the other or one is only going to be great when it beats the other is ludicrous.

I never once said that. I even made a point a few posts up of saying it didn't HAVE TO.

I just thought that it'd be a great achievement and it would be cool if Bond beat the most successful action franchise of the last few years.

I thought on a Bond fan site people would want Bond to beat the competition.
    @thelivingroyale, I didn't say you did. I've seen a few people on here post something to that effect. I'm just saying that I feel Bond has already proved he is back on top with this $1 billion achievement.

There was an accidental SF reference hidden in that latter sentence of mine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

I never once said that. I even made a point a few posts up of saying it didn't HAVE TO.

I just thought that it'd be a great achievement and it would be cool if Bond beat the most successful action franchise of the last few years.

I thought on a Bond fan site people would want Bond to beat the competition.

That's just abysmal. I love Batman and Bond equally, and don't care who gets more at the BO. I love that both exited 2012 as some of the greatest critical and financial successes for Warner Bros. and EON respectively. Just because this is a Bond site doesn't mean my adoration for Batman goes out the window.
    It's official: Skyfall has been the most watched movie in France in 2012. Here's the top ten:

1 - Skyfall : 6 827 640

2 - L'Age de Glace 4 : La Dérive des continents : 6 588 883

3 - Sur La Piste du Marsupilami : 5301 988

4 - La Vérité Si Je Mens! 3 : 4 613 791

5 - Avengers : 4 499 009

6 – The Dark Knight Rises : 4 385 032

7 – Twilight – Chapitre 5 : Révélation 2ième Partie : 4 450 379

8 – Astérix et Obélix : Au Service De Sa Majesté : 3 757 457

9 – Madagascar 3 : Bons Baisers d'Europe : 3 343 533

10 – Le Prénom : 3 337 191

Thanks for ignoring my post :(( Seems after all this time, you still have to be a guy to count. :((
    @Germanlady I missed your post, sorry. I just skimmed down the page and didn't notice it. Didn't mean anything by it.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Creasy47 wrote:

I haven't noticed anyone suggesting that this would make SF a 'better film' but maybe there are. What a few of us are implying is that the Batman films are the current benchmark for big budget action cinema of quality. QoS took 590m the year TDK 1bn. That is some gap to make up, the fact SF has is astonishing.
  • That's just abysmal. I love Batman and Bond equally, and don't care who gets more at the BO. I love that both exited 2012 as some of the greatest critical and financial successes for Warner Bros. and EON respectively. Just because this is a Bond site doesn't mean my adoration for Batman goes out the window.

Well I do want it to beat TDKR for the reasons I mentioned before, and just because I prefer Bond to Batman and I would like it to beat TDKR it doesn't mean I'm "missing the point"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm actually looking forward to Bond 24's marketing campaign just to see what strategy they'll take after the blinding success of SF.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    doubleoego wrote:
    I'm actually looking forward to Bond 24's marketing campaign just to see what strategy they'll take after the blinding success of SF.

I hope they go viral, in the way of Nolans movies. They was promoted in a quite smart way but it never got too much " in your face ".
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    JamesPage wrote:
    So who had January 4th on their betting slip? The day that someone argued SKYFALL was not the most successful 007 film in France because despite selling more tickets than any other film (raw audience count), it's not the #1 because the percentage of the population that bought tickets in 2012 was lower compared to 1965.

FFS...

I have actually the figures of % of SF vs all the French 2012 box office and of GF and TB vs all the 1965 box office (ie : 3.7% of all tickets sold in 2012 in France were to see SF (figure from memory I may be wrong, but I can find it very easily), and XX/YY % of all tickets sold in 1965 was to see GF / TB (released within months, don't forget).

But clearly, the "need" for some to boast SF is bigger than TB means I will keep this XX figure under wraps until the hysteria has passed. I understand that everyone concerned with the PRs (fan club included) needs this #1 title, to build momentum for the awards. So I'll wait when they have been awarded or not and then people will listen a bit more I think ;)

However, I find it very ironical that Box Office Mojo is the reference here, EXCEPT for that 1037M$ figure for TB which is taken not from Mojo's ticket inflation method, but from a general inflation method (Mojo method of computation would give more than 1300M$ for TB - which is actually also meaningless, but harder to beat :) )
    Why should it matter if TB or Skyfall is more successful?

I think that in short, the idea is to be able to hint that :

"Dear Acamedy voters, you didn't vote in the 60s for the Bond movies, but now you have the opportunity to vote for Bond in 2012 without making it look like a criticism of your 60s disdain, as this 2012 Bond is bigger and better than those of the 60s."

However, the Us box office adjusted whatever the method doesn't really allow to be that brutal for an US Academy:)

Mod edit: double post merged into one.

edited January 2013 Posts: 40,459
    @Suivez_ce_parachute, you don't need to double post; simply edit your original comment and go from there.

As for your newest statement...why do people continuously feel the need to bring up "bigger gross = better product?" 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' made over $800 million, and it was honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Did it get tons of Academy Award nominations thrown at it? No. SF could have made $3 billion somehow, it won't end up changing what awards it receives. 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' is sweeping awards so far, apparently, yet it made less than $10 million in theaters.

If SF manages to win any Academy Awards, it's because the area it takes home the award in deserves it - Adele's voice, Deakins' cinematography, etc. - not because of the gross.

If 'Skyfall' would at this very moment be at a worldwide box office gross of -let's say- $672 million, newly welcomed forummembers, like @Suivez_ce_parachute, would not have been posting there arguments so fiercely..

I was a member of a Bond fan club in 1989, FYI. And I'm here for more than a year... I didn't read and then post much during SF production because I wanted to avoid too much spoiling (I knew almost everything about GE while it was being shot, and it clearly spoils the pleasure a lot).

And I'm pretty sure you'll keep on reading me when I'll give you data about SF in China, while you wait for Box Office Mojo to post them :)

And if had SF had done $700M, I'm pretty sure you'd have called it a flop, you, and I'd explained you why it woud not have been one !

Why does anyone care? Why are we at one another's throats over this? SF has made $1 billion - there you go. Everyone wins. I don't see why we have to battle over SF making more than TB or vice versa, SF beating TDKR, inflation differences, whatever: being massive Bond fans, we should celebrate having 50 years of Bond, of our 50th Anniversary film making over $1 billion at the box office - something that most of us didn't expect, especially myself - and we should anticipate the upcoming DVD/blu-ray release and the following 24th Bond film.

Everyone wins.
    RC7 wrote:
    Beating TDKR would be an astonishing achievement. The event movies of the last 5 years trumped by a 50 year old franchise straying into untested territory.
    In the USA, TDKR beats Skyfall by a large margin.
    In the rest of the world, Skyfall beats TDKR by a large margin.

It's a bit like TDKR is "football" (or "american football" in the rest of the world), and Skyfall is soccer (or "football" in the rest of the world). One is conceived to allow ads every 3 minutes and the other is a long uninterrupted flow :) And one is very, very popular only in one country, but those weight is important (but less and less...).

Hopefully sports aficionados do not bother to debate which sport is the more popular :)

Did you note that :
    Gerard wrote:
    8 – Astérix et Obélix : Au Service De Sa Majesté : 3 757 457

9 – Madagascar 3 : Bons Baisers d'Europe : 3 343 533

Those two titles are direct in-your-face Bond references ? :)

'8 - Asterix and Obelix : On Her Majesty's Service'

'9 - Madagascar 3 : From Europe With Love'

3 Bondian titles in the top 10 ! :)

And believe it or not, the title sequence of the 4th movie La Verite Si je Mens ! 3, is also a Bond in-your-face hommage (it was even more in the 1 and 2 though if I remember well).

Here's the titles from the 2, gunbarrel and Bond theme like included :

Mod edit: another double post merged into one.
    Again, my words don't matter. People will still want to bicker.

@Suivez_ce_parachute, again, if you have something else to say, edit your original comment. There's no need for double posts, it's considered to be spam.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,530
    @Suivez_ce_parachute,

Please avoid double posts by making use of the edit button in case you have more to add to your latest post. As @Creasy47 correctly pointed out, double posts are considered a form of spam and will, when turning up frequently, result in a warning. Hopefully you wish to avoid that.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    Please avoid double posts by making use of the edit button in case you have more to add to your latest post.
    I did that before a few times, but then people would answering my initial post while i was editing it (my posts have quite some factual content so some people bother to answer them it seems:) ). And then there would be the quoted version and the latest version, it was hard to manage. But I will then (or rather wait for an answer in between to avoid posts that mix totally unrelated topics :) )

But, well, I'm less than thrilled to make you benefit from my Chinese box office tracking data then when SF is released, as it'll clearly mean several posts in the same few hours while most here are sleeping !

@Suivez_ce_parachute, don't flaunt yourself with your 'ignored factual content,' and then ignore me twice when I try to help you with editing your comments, and also ignore my view on SF - just let it go. You're right, we're wrong, we're right, you're wrong, it doesn't matter. There's no need to argue about it. If that's the case, a fun thread like this will turn into us bashing one another until it is either closed or all of the numbers are in...where those who think they are right will tell those they feel are wrong that they're clueless, and vice versa.