Daniel Craig Olympics Opening

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Bond will fall from the sky!
  • Slight amendment to my previous statement. NBC will show the ceremonies on a delayed basis (so it airs in prime time in the U.S.). But NBC is also now part of a family of cable channels owned by Comcast Corp. and I suspect at least one of them will televise it live.

In years past, NBC wouldn't show many major events live, save them for the prime-time broadcast and act as if it were live. This time around, the events will be televised live on the Comcast cable channels and then be shown again during prime time on NBC. So I'm guessing something similar will happen for the opening ceremonies.
  • Slight amendment to my previous statement. NBC will show the ceremonies on a delayed basis (so it airs in prime time in the U.S.). But NBC is also now part of a family of cable channels owned by Comcast Corp. and I suspect at least one of them will televise it live.

In years past, NBC wouldn't show many major events live, save them for the prime-time broadcast and act as if it were live. This time around, the events will be televised live on the Comcast cable channels and then be shown again during prime time on NBC. So I'm guessing something similar will happen for the opening ceremonies.

Not for the opening ceremonies; NBC needs the ratings and this is something they know will get the best ratings of the entire two weeks outside of the women's gymnastics. They won't cannibalize their ratings for the ceremonies live and then again a couple hours later. In any case, I see no TV listings for Friday afternoon on any Comcast channels. The coverage starts at 7:30EST on NBC, but based on my experience watching every opening ceremony for the past 20 years, they'll do a half-hour pre-show of athlete interviews and sports previews and then start the edited tape-delay at 8pm. :P
  • Not for the opening ceremonies; NBC needs the ratings and this is something they know will get the best ratings of the entire two weeks outside of the women's gymnastics. They won't cannibalize their ratings for the ceremonies live and then again a couple hours later. In any case, I see no TV listings for Friday afternoon on any Comcast channels. The coverage starts at 7:30EST on NBC, but based on my experience watching every opening ceremony for the past 20 years, they'll do a half-hour pre-show of athlete interviews and sports previews and then start the edited tape-delay at 8pm. :P

Ah, interesting. Thanks.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 1,856
    Oh god.... To Much, To Corny!!!!!
  • oo7oo7
    anyone get the feeling this is going to be a cock up?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 61
    If he does abseil from the helicopter then our Health & Safety laws will demand that he wears a fluorescent yellow jacket and carry a 50 page risk assessment with him.....
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,856
    oo7 wrote:
    anyone get the feeling this is going to be a cock up?

Yes, oh well Saturday(for me.) will decide.
    db5007 wrote:
    If he does abseil from the helicopter then our Health & Safety laws will demand that he wears a fluorescent yellow jacket and carry a 50 page risk assessment with him.....

Cut to reaction shot of crowd. :O
    Well considering how corny it sounds at the moment it just might work.
  • oo7oo7
    I dont know, I keep thinking dc will fumble with the stunt, it looks stupid. the crew mess it up ie have him in too much gear, they cant get it off. or i dont know. how is he going to start this anyways use the ppk as a starters pistol? light the fire with a torch?
    One thing for sure - they will want to avoid another safety veste incident. How they gonna do it? No idea, but yes, too much gear wouldn't look good. Maybe they make it just a few meters, that he is allowed to do without.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Germanlady wrote:
    One thing for sure - they will want to avoid another safety veste incident. How they gonna do it? No idea, but yes, too much gear wouldn't look good. Maybe they make it just a few meters, that he is allowed to do without.

Why can't they just land the damn thing and let him walk out. I'm surprised they're not having the helicopter crash and Bond miraculously live to light the torch with a flaming piece of the wreckage the way the Craig films are :P
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Crashing a helicopter into a packed stadium? We'll never hear the end of it.
    How ever that might be, I am sure, they have it all figured out.
    doubleoego wrote:

I was being sarcastic.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

Sure, you were, but I wouldn't count the Craig film into the nrealistic categorie, as you made it. Rather the opposite compared to many of the others.

It seems cool but Bond ultimately rejected the Knighthood in the novel The Man with the Golden Gun. I am perhaps too picky, but it's because I have a huge respect for the character that Fleming created.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    0013 wrote:
    It seems cool but Bond ultimately rejected the Knighthood in the novel The Man with the Golden Gun. I am perhaps too picky, but it's because I have a huge respect for the character that Fleming created.

I agree. This bugs me too. I'd rather Bond refuse the Knighthood myself, though that would never happen, so Bond must go the other way completely!
    There is something else that should bug us more: Bond is a secret agent, he should not reveal his identity in front of 2 billion+ people. There is no way this short film will be canonical.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I suppose we, the public, aren't meant to know what Bond's job is. Though then you'd ask would the Queen really want who M regards are their best agent, opening the games?

I think we are just meant to take the whole affair with a pinch of salt.
    I really think, you take this too serious. Its a way to present a british icon to the world. From what i know, Boyle will have a historical show through the ages and this is just a way to sorta bring him in, too.

Also BTW - Bond was always known to his enemy for what he was. There was never any long hiding behind a mask for him.
    Anyone go to the olympic rehearsal tonight and see any of the bond stuff??? One needs confirmation :) @Germanlady?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond smoked in the novels, he did a lot of things in the novels that he either no longer does or never did in the movies. That being said, the knighthood isn't legitimate. If the Queen can have some fun, I don't understand why some Bond fans are being so touchy about this. Lighten up.
  • oo7oo7
    uh I really dont see how this will work the more ive thought about it. once he sparks the torch how will he leave. tbh i would stop caring for the olmpic and start asking for more bond. is this the first time bonds made a public appearnce in character....will he drop the character half way through this thing...?
    Nope! He's in Character all the way through.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,044
    I'm wonder how nervous Craig is at the moment? ;)

And is it so that Craig/Bond is going to light the torch?
  • oo7oo7
    i dont know the more i think about it this could kill all heat the film is gathering if its a botch
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Samuel001 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

I agree. This bugs me too. I'd rather Bond refuse the Knighthood myself, though that would never happen, so Bond must go the other way completely!

I agree.

"He makes his way inside, and the next clip is THE QUEEN HERSELF tapping Mr Craig on the shoulders and uttering the immortal words, “Arise Sir James”. "

This part is just corny and stupid. Don't like it at all.

doubleoego wrote:
    Bond smoked in the novels, he did a lot of things in the novels that he either no longer does or never did in the movies. That being said, the knighthood isn't legitimate. If the Queen can have some fun, I don't understand why some Bond fans are being so touchy about this. Lighten up.

Well I have a huge respect for the original material and that means Fleming's books. And yes, I would rather see Bond smoking again, eating scrambled eggs, ordering a fancy drink, and rejecting to become a snob, like in OHMSS when he doesn't give a damn about his family title.
    As I said, it seems fun, but I'm a great fan of the souce material.
    Take into consideration, that most people never read Fleming nor care for any source material. In a moment like this event, they are pretty free to do whatever they feel is appropriate - as long as it is awesome. Will it be? It sure is a tricky one...savety for DC and still make it look dangerous.