Daniel Craig Olympics Opening

Comments

MrBond wrote:
    I'm wonder how nervous Craig is at the moment? ;)

And is it so that Craig/Bond is going to light the torch?

He will be very nervous. He is a wreck, when presenting at the Oscars and now this. But at least, he doesn't have to say anything or very little. (I suppose) That's good ;)
    He won't be lighting the tourch, he appears at the beginning. My bet is on Sir Steve.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 344
    Absolutely agreed. The man lighting the Olympic torch must surely be Sir Steve. The Bond piece will be a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun. As it should be.
    So - if true - that ends the discussion abut how they will guarantee his safety

On the Today show this morning they said the highlight of the opening ceremony will be a stuntman parachuting into the stadium as James Bond?
  • Germanlady wrote:

On the Today show this morning they said the highlight of the opening ceremony will be a stuntman parachuting into the stadium as James Bond?

That sounds a bit more like it, it would of been impossible to insure DC to abseil (or parachute!) out of a helicopter, maybe they'll use some kind of sleight of hand trickery in the Stadium to switch from the stuntman (once he's landed) to DC?

Yes, but by now - with all the articles, people expect HIM to do the stunt and will be all over him again, even though, I am sure, he would and wanted to do it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That stuntman angle makes sense. That whole business with the life jacket during the CR press conference was a classic example of how fundamentally stupid some people can be.
  • Germanlady wrote:

That sounds a bit more like it, it would of been impossible to insure DC to abseil (or parachute!) out of a helicopter, maybe they'll use some kind of sleight of hand trickery in the Stadium to switch from the stuntman (once he's landed) to DC?

Recall You Only Live Twice and the Kobe docks sequence. Bob Simmons did, I think, two long falls. After the second, he jumped off what he landed on and up popped Sean Connery straightening his cuffs. It looked pretty seamless.

Germanlady wrote:
    Yes, but by now - with all the articles, people expect HIM to do the stunt and will be all over him again, even though, I am sure, he would and wanted to do it.

I think people are expecting to see Craig but the emphasis is Bond as the attraction, however, I don't think it means people are expecting to see Craig pull off the dangerous stunt.
    Germanlady wrote:

Recall You Only Live Twice and the Kobe docks sequence. Bob Simmons did, I think, two long falls. After the second, he jumped off what he landed on and up popped Sean Connery straightening his cuffs. It looked pretty seamless.

It did. It really looked as though Connery did that front flip jump.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Well, all the articles, that surfaced said it, so it will be easy to call him a sissy again, when a stuntguy is doing it. people are neither fair nor do they like thinking...

I think, he could easily do it by now - he has become almost a stuntguy himself.

Connery was in film - how will they do that life? Seamless?
  • There is absolutely no way Daniel Craig would ever be expected to do a dangerous stunt. It's not the way it works. He may look physically impressive, but he is no stuntman.

Again, it'll be a bit of fun.
    This might be the reality, but people do expect it nevertheless now. They should have put it right then.
  • This is being done primarily for television, not the live crowd. They've already taped Craig and the Queen. They've already filmed the helicopters flying to the stadium. We'll see.
    There was a full dress rehearsal of the opening ceremony last night and Matt Lauer got to be there, perhaps they just used the stuntman as a back up? Who knows. Matt said there are elements to the ceremony that people will be talking about for weeks to come!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Whatever happens, I'll be watching. Craig doing this stunt would be great but I'm not shocked to hear it could be a stuntman. As has been said, it's all about Bond the icon, so it shouldn't matter too much.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,894
    This sounds cheesey as hell to me. I'm trying not to remember that dreadful women's day advert (which is as bad as I think this will turn out like). Oh dammit, i've just remembered it.

Not to mention that i've had enough of the olympic games. Everywhere I turn, i'm reminded of it. I just can't wait for it to be over.
    The knighthood thing sounds corny and cheesey, and I don't like it at all.

BUT I love the idea of Bond opening the olympics, and I'm looking forward to the bit where he abseils in. I just wish they didn't have the whole Queen/knighthood thing involved.
    Not to mention that i've had enough of the olympic games. Everywhere I turn, i'm reminded of it. I just can't wait for it to be over.

I'm looking forward to the football starting up again more than I am to the Olympics.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'm looking forward to the football starting up again more than I am to the Olympics.

I have nothing against Jessica Ennis on my tv. If that's all the Olympics were, then i'd watch. :-\"

I have nothing against Jessica Ennis on my tv. If that's all the Olympics were, then i'd watch. :-\"

Hahaha, true, true.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 940
    I was invited to go along to the Olympics Opening Ceremony rehearsal tonight. They showed a lot, but obviously didnt give every last detail away to the spectators.

Anyway, Bond will be present - at one point the Bond theme played, the lighting effects in the crowd turned to the Union Jack colours and a HUGE helicopter flew over-head. Obviously they stopped it there (they couldn't give toooo much away at this stage) but it looks like it's gonna be great. Incidentaly, the following act was the introduction of the Queen and the Duke into the arena.
    Hold on, has it even been confirmed that Bond will be knighted? Not that I personally care but who's to say it's not just a mission briefing from the queen.
    The short hair from the match last night indicates, that he will be there live at leat - whether or not he is doing the stunt himself has to be seen,
  • oo7oo7
    Do you think the new trailer will drop around the time of the opening stunt? to get extra coverage?
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    555067_10151180835547573_1147557945_n.jpg

Craig and a Mustache?
    If he's doing it live, better give that man a razor :D
  • I did comment over on the other thread but here is clearly more appropriate, but yes, he has a beard and is in America, could it be that DC only appears in filmed sequences before a stuntman does the parachute/abseil bit and hands over the torch (?) before disappearing??
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope Dan really does the parachuting. That would be so great!
    Dunno, what this guy knows, but..that would be an option, too. No way, he is parachuting. I never truly believed that, the upsailing, yes, but not that.

JOSH SCOTT ‏@JOSHSCOTT__

Daniel Craig to be winched from a helicopter as James Bond in the opening ceremony. Beckham and The Queen have roles in it..
    I hope Dan really does the parachuting. That would be so great!

They might let him abseil in but I doubt they'd let him parachute.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Daniel Craig to be winched from a helicopter as James Bond in the opening ceremony. Beckham and The Queen have roles in it..

Beckham???? My excitement factor for this just dropped a ton. So not only is the Queen there and Bond is getting knighted, f*cking David Beckham is gonna be involved. Brilliant. I'm still looking forward to the bit where he actually opens the games, but WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Actually, it never said David, maybe Bond will be shagging his stick insect wife as part of the short film.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,782
    DC met an athlete near the Olympic Park.

He asked "Are you a Pole Vaulter?"

He said "No, I'm German...and how do you know my name?"