The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,479
    ...if Heath Ledger got an Oscar for Joker, Tom Hardy definitely deserves one for Bane. Bane eats the Joker for breakfast. Batman slapped Joker around like a ragdoll. He couldn't even touch Bane. Batman was no match for Bane. When Bane broke Batman's back, I thought it was over. Not once, in TDK, did I think Joker was going to kill Batman. In Rises, every scene had me thinking it was the end.

That's just how the Joker was: he's mentally scarring in inducing huge frantic in the public that he didn't need to be physically capable, as seen by his knife shoe, guns, dogs, etc.

Apparently, the next Batman is to be tied into the 'Justice League' movie, alongside Reynolds and Cavill.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Nolan won't be returning, so we will receive a reboot. Bale expressed interest in returning, only if Nolan returned, but since he hasn't, Bale won't, either.

Nolan's confirmed he's producing the "reboot". And Bale said he's not playing Batman anymore. Not Bruce Wayne, however.

Now you have this John Blake character...

I smell Batman Beyond!
    It's confirmed that Nolan won't return to direct and Bale won't return to play as Batman, then. If we get a new director and JGL as Batman, then there you go.
    Or it's a reboot and it has Bruce as a all ready established Batman.

Anyway saw if, enjoyed it, Brilliant just not as good as the first two. (although I am amougnst the minority that prefers Begins to Knight.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ...if Heath Ledger got an Oscar for Joker, Tom Hardy definitely deserves one for Bane. Bane eats the Joker for breakfast. Batman slapped Joker around like a ragdoll. He couldn't even touch Bane. Batman was no match for Bane. When Bane broke Batman's back, I thought it was over. Not once, in TDK, did I think Joker was going to kill Batman. In Rises, every scene had me thinking it was the end.

Wow, you don't understand the characters at all, do you mate? Not a Batman fan maybe. The Joker is obviously not going to kill Batman. He would never do that even given tons of opportunities. He spends his life ripping of the mob and it is all so boring, but when Batman comes along with his "rules" he respects how he has changed things in Gotham and sees he is too much fun to kill. The two are the exact prime definition of "there can be no hero without a villain". Batman won't kill him due to his morals, and Joker won't kill him because he enjoys his bouts with Batman and the new challenges he brings like the morals he tries to get him to break. Joke can fight though, make no mistake. He handled the cops at the precinct as well as Batman a bit at the end of the film. Bane on the other hand is a masterfully trained fighter, and more experienced than ever Bruce after he had been trained by the league. Both men have the same training and can guess the tactics of the other, and I love that Bane has absolute immunity over Bruce's tactics implementing fear. Bane would kill Batman, as he is absolutely different from Joker in his plot and goals. The Joker just wants to cause chaos and show Gotham that their appointed officials in politics and crime enforcement as well as and "white knights" if you will can be turned to the dark side, as he proves with Harvey. Joker knew he won if Batman killed him, as Batman would not only go back on his rules, but he would be donned a killer. Bane on the other hand planned to die. He has an expansive plot to not kill a few meager officials or prove a point, but to commit absolute genocide to purge Gotham. Bane was focused on a grand scale plot in contrast to Joker simply proving a point. He wanted Gotham wiped clean as Ra's planned, and he knew he won whether he lived or died because the bomb would go off all by itself if time lapsed too far. Tom will not win an Oscar though, I believe. While he was fantastic and menacing in the role, Heath brought something completely new to the role of Joker. His mannerisms were so ghoulish and his very presence menacing. He was a brilliantly theatrical joker, while being able to take a life without regret in a second. He is the main character study of the film. Not only for why he does what he does, but how he changes his mind from killing Batman to ensuring his survival. When I watch TDK I am smiling ear to ear in every scene Heath is in. His evil magnetism and how he just ticks into character so excellently are jaw-dropping, and I am rooting for his antics as much of and often more than Batman. He steals the show. For Tom in Bane he doesn't own the film. The performances are all even and nobody really stands out more than the other. I never once rooted for Bane, and that is saying something. He is shown as such a monster in the film you want him to die no matter the cost, and you feel Batman's hurt. Bane's massive plot and the lives of Gotham raised up in the air as well as considering that his plot is 1000X times larger and more dangerous than Joker's solidifies his evil.
    my gf squeezed my hand when bane broke batman's back the entire audience was shocked SHOCKED....

Film of the year. and my only problem is as a batman film I'm gonna have to wait a long time for another though they could easily make a sequel to this With blake becoming a blood thirsty vigilante under a new guise Th Reaper and Perhaps lady Shiva retraining Bruce to take Blake on.... could be interesting.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    my gf squeezed my hand when bane broke batman's back the entire audience was shocked SHOCKED....

Film of the year. and my only problem is as a batman film I'm gonna have to wait a long time for another though they could easily make a sequel to this With blake becoming a blood thirsty vigilante under a new guise Th Reaper and Perhaps lady Shiva retraining Bruce to take Blake on.... could be interesting.

That defeats the purpose of the film and goes against Blake's beliefs. He is supportive of justice, not chaos and destruction.
    Risico007 wrote:

That defeats the purpose of the film and goes against Blake's beliefs. He is supportive of justice, not chaos and destruction.

Saying it could be done not that it should be done...

And I don't think Blake has the same strength of character as Bruce I mean he was almost willing to give Gordon over to Bane because of the lie they created.

One other thing this is a far better film then any film they could give us using Riddler.

Bane really was the perfect choice for a final villain.

Wow, you don't understand the characters at all, do you mate? Not a Batman fan maybe.
    I am a fan, yes, just not an expert like you apparently are. I get what you are saying, and I knew the motives behind the Joker. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked Bane better.

Also, If i wasn't a fan, I would not have seen the movie.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 9,771
    I liked Bane better too..

Talia was awesome though I wish she had more screen time

Wow, you don't understand the characters at all, do you mate? Not a Batman fan maybe.
    I am a fan, yes, just not an expert like you apparently are. I get what you are saying, and I knew the motives behind the Joker. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked Bane better.

Also, If i wasn't a fan, I would not have seen the movie.

There are non Batman fans that go just to see explosions and tune out the awesome story. Unfortunate, but true.
    Risico007 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

Saying it could be done not that it should be done...

And I don't think Blake has the same strength of character as Bruce I mean he was almost willing to give Gordon over to Bane because of the lie they created.

One other thing this is a far better film then any film they could give us using Riddler.

Bane really was the perfect choice for a final villain.

Blake didn't lack strength of character. He caught Gordon in his guilt and made it apparent that he didn't respect him hiding what really happened that night 8 years running. Gordon should have been truthful, and that shows his flaw in character, not Blake's.
    @Brady

-Therefore, Alfred finally sees Bruce get his clean slate by starting a family with Selina.

That was stupidly shown IMO
    (a café in Florenze, Italy). Like they both knew exactly at what time to be there so they could wink at each other?
    Zekidk wrote:
    @Brady

-Therefore, Alfred finally sees Bruce get his clean slate by starting a family with Selina.

(a café in Florenze, Italy). Like they both knew exactly at what time to be there so they could wink at each other?
    If Bruce set Robin Blake up with the co-ordinands to the Batcave and repair the Bat signal. Why couldn't he give a message to Alfred (who inherited everything.) saying go to the cafe at whenever?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,169
    Virage wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    @Brady

If Bruce set Robin Blake up with the co-ordinands to the Batcave and repair the Bat signal. Why couldn't he give a message to Alfred (who inherited everything.) saying go to the cafe at whenever?
    Actually, judging from Alfred's reaction he looked surprised to see Wayne there. That's too coincidental for me.
    Zekidk wrote:
    Virage wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    @Brady

Actually, judging from Alfred's reaction he looked surprised to see Wayne there. That's too coincidental for me.
    Guys it isn't hard to see that Italy is where Alfred went to when he resigned his service. Bruce could have easily tracked his location, and staked out the restaurant.
    Spoiler tags aren't needed now, everyone. There's a spoiler tag on the thread title, so we can avoid using those.
    I am curious. What was everyone's favorite line? The one that most resounded to me and really defined the film in my eyes was:

Selina: You don't owe these people any more! You've given them everything!
    Batman: Not everything. Not yet.
    Oh, I don't know. There were so many great lines.

The line from the trailer that Selena whispers in Wayne's ear as they dance was really good.

That, or the line about fear that Bane delivers in the plane was excellent. Anyone else think Bane's voice was excellent and creepy?
    I actually can't rember mine...

But cat woman had some brilliant lines.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Oh, I don't know. There were so many great lines.

The line from the trailer that Selena whispers in Wayne's ear as they dance was really good.

That, or the line about fear that Bane delivers in the plane was excellent. Anyone else think Bane's voice was excellent and creepy?

I loved, but some don't. I have heard complaints that he sounds like Skeletor.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So what was everyone's opinion of Hathaway? Haven't seen the film yet (months and months away for me), but I am a fan of hers. Was she awesome? :)
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    So what was everyone's opinion of Hathaway? Haven't seen the film yet (months and months away for me), but I am a fan of hers. Was she awesome? :)
    Don't come in this thread then. You don't want this ruined. TRUST ME.

Anne was brilliant.
    I am curious. What was everyone's favorite line?

That's easy: "Once I have the detonator, then you have my permission to die"

As @0Brady said there is a huge 'SPOILER.' tag on the title.

Anne was amazing, she was equal if not better then Michelle P in Returns.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I thought Bane sounded fine, a few times I didn't quite understand what he was saying but didn't it ruin the film in anyway, I will say now I'm no real Batman fan, I don't read the comics really (have read a few in my time). I was there because I'm a Nolan fan more then anything and I thought that although Hardy was excellent as Bane I didn't see the same type of magic on the screen that I saw with Ledger, you only get that kind of performance once in a while and he is the definitive Batman villain and Ledger nailed it.
    I think the ending that some are saying is a dream like is people reading too much into it, just because Nolan made is ending ambiguous in previous films (note these were original pieces and not existing properties with the exception of The Prestige). I've no doubt this motif will continue with more of his original ideas but when he's attached to a huge franchise like Batman I'd pretty much bet that WB said something like.

"Chris you can pretty do what you like with this but you can't kill him"
    As far as the most emotional moment for me, some have mentioned Alfred crying which was very strong but the moment I almost felt I was welling up was when Batman revealed to Gordon who he was and they played that clip from Begins, that was for the single most emotional scene in the entire trilogy and both actors played it just right.

I also don't see why anyone would think that CN would make Bond like Batman and make it incredibly dark, this because it suited this character but Nolan still used iconography and legend of the comics and incorporated into his series, I think if Nolan did get to do a Bond film, you'd see a respect for the series and he would utilise Fleming better than most, if he does I want to see this with Craig and not wait for the next Bond to turn up.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Saw it last night. Honestly, I think it was the best one yet.

I didn't think that Miranda would be Talia, but I sort of guessed that Blake would be Robin.

My favourite line was "this isn't a car"

Can anyone clear this up because there's one thing I didn't get, how did Blake know Batmans secret identity?
    Wow. It took me years to get somewhere near the core of TDK, and you guys already understood TDKR from one viewing. I feel really slow on the uptake ;-) .

I didn't think that Miranda would be Talia, but I sort of guessed that Blake would be Robin.

Can anyone clear this up because there's one thing I didn't get, how did Blake know Batmans secret identity?

He isn't Robin though, it's just his name. If anything he would be Batman 2.0. It was included to give a hopeful ending, so we know that though Bruce is retired, Gotham is safe. And Blake was an orphan like Bruce, and saw that same look in his eyes that he too used to cover up his hurt. I think he said many with that anger think to do with it what Bruce did, but lack what he has.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Wow. It took me years to get somewhere near the core of TDK, and you guys already understood TDKR from one viewing. I feel really slow on the uptake ;-) .

To be fair, TDK was more complex in its message and themes. TDKR still has those wonderful touches, but it is clearly a straight good vs. evil tale.

He isn't Robin though, it's just his name. If anything he would be Batman 2.0. It was included to give a hopeful ending, so we know that though Bruce is retired, Gotham is safe.

I thought that he'd be protecting Gotham as Robin in the future, hee might use the name as his persona. If he is the next Batman then they should just use him for the next film instead of rebooting the entire series again.