The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Critics are idiots and always will be. There are less and less reputable men and women reviewing out there that are intellectual in their dissection and unbiased in their views of the film, not an easy feat. Sadly there are critics that will say a film is bad to simply go against the general consensus to start a few riots. In the end they get some attention that they so craved for, and they don't care that it affects the film's overall critical rating. I simply don't listen to reviews. I watch a film for me. Only my opinion matters when it comes down to it, and not a critic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Like Brady, I couldn't care less about critic's reviews. So they took more English and journalism classes than I did, and now get paid to watch movies and talk about them. Does that make them experts? Hell no. They can hate on a film for whatever hidden, irrelevant reasons they want, but when I go and see TDKR this weekend, I'll be watching it to experience the beautiful ending to a wonderful trilogy given to us by an excellent director, and I won't be watching it to nitpick and hate on any little detail I manage to pick out of the rest of the movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Like Brady, I couldn't care less about critic's reviews. So they took more English and journalism classes than I did, and now get paid to watch movies and talk about them. Does that make them experts? Hell no. They can hate on a film for whatever hidden, irrelevant reasons they want, but when I go and see TDKR this weekend, I'll be watching it to experience the beautiful ending to a wonderful trilogy given to us by an excellent director, and I won't be watching it to nitpick and hate on any little detail I manage to pick out of the rest of the movie.
    I am such a biased chum I will likely refuse to critique it. The only thing that I truly dislike out of the entire series is Bale's over-pronounced voice and some of Katie's performance in Begins.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I think Nolan was screwed every which way to be honest with this third film. Everybody expected so much, there was no way it could live up to that for everyone, no matter what Nolan gave us. Some reviews state this is a masterful film, one of the best ever made and I think it possibly could be.

I guess we can discuss this in detail very soon. As you've both said, who cares about the critics, really? Not me.

Maybe it's only between which of the following you prefer: a war film or a crime film.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,534
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think Nolan was screwed every which way to be honest with this third film. Everybody expected so much, there was no way it could live up to that for everyone, no matter what Nolan gave us. Some reviews state this is a masterful film, one of the best ever made and I think it possibly could be.

I guess we can discuss this in detail very soon. As you've both said, who cares about the critics, really? Not me.

Maybe it's only between which of the following you prefer: a war film or crime film.

Well said. It is a shame, really, that TDK was so excellent that this one will probably be hard to top, but just because some critics have said it doesn't mean it will be true. I just want to head into it with one hope: an excellent closing to a grand trilogy. I'm not going to compare Hardy to Ledger or Murphy, I'm just going to request that it end in a very superb way, and that's it. I just refuse to believe that this film could receive anything less than a 9/10 for me.

And just so everyone is clear, I do hope it's established that spoilers will be heavily abound in this thread come Friday. It'll be too hard trying to communicate with everyone using spoiler tags, so it'll be best to avoid it entirely until you've seen it.

@DarthBork hasn't posted in a month, perhaps a mod could add (*SPOILERS*) to the title around Thursday night.

One last thing: here's a quote from Christopher Nolan on his thoughts on 3D:

“The question of 3-D is a very straightforward one. I never meet anybody who actually likes the format, and it’s always a source of great concern to me when you’re charging a higher price for something that nobody seems to really say they have any great love for. It’s up to the audience to tell us how they want to watch the movies. More people go see these films in 2-D, and so it’s difficult data to interpret. And I certainly don’t want to shoot in a format just to charge people a higher ticket price.”
    I just sort of ignore critic reviews. I don't mind reading them, I agree with some of them, but chances are if I like the look of a film I'll go and see it even if it gets panned.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthBork hasn't posted in a month, perhaps a mod could add (*SPOILERS*) to the title around Thursday night.

Don't worry I still read regularly, I'll change it accordingly tomorrow.
    Ahh, very nice. Thanks a bunch, @DarthBork.
    I'm off to start a thread on how to critique a film.. I want to get a good definition of a good film down with your guys' help.
    @JWESTBROOK, will do!

Critic receives death threats over negative 'The Dark Knight Rises' review on RottenTomatoes:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/17/critic-faces-death-threats-over-bad-dark-knight-rises-review/

Spoilers could possibly follow, I didn't read too much into the article.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, will do!

Critic receives death threats over negative 'The Dark Knight Rises' review on RottenTomatoes:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/17/critic-faces-death-threats-over-bad-dark-knight-rises-review/

Spoilers could possibly follow, I didn't read too much into the article.

Rottentomatoes has shut down comments on TDKR review page due to the severe amount of hate and dangerous postings. They claimed it became unbearable and their team was unable to filter the comments, so they shut it down. They're now re-working their comment system, forcing users to go through Facebook in an attempt to prevent events like this from recurring.

That's crazy. People make me want to hate people.
    I already hate people, and that link is one of the many reasons why. Pathetic.

"HEY! THIS MOVIE LOOKS EXCELLENT, AND YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT? I SUPPOSE I'LL HAVE TO KILL YOU NOW!"

I mean, why? If I'm looking forward to something that I feel is going to be truly spectacular, I watch it, and I love it, why would I let someone else's opinion on the movie drive me to such extreme measures?
  • did anyone watch a pre-screening already? I reading some spoilers not sure how accurate these ending is as there has been a variety of different ones
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,534
    @commandbond007, not from what I've read, but I will say one thing: if any spoilers of any type start cropping up in this thread, please use spoiler tags, or let me know that you choose to do so, so that I may exit immediately. I want to know absolutely nothing about this film.

Here's a dozen new photos from the film:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92674
    The sad thing about this is that this has the chance to be the most emotional theater experience of my life, and I am sure the film will be spectacular, but I hate to see this hate following in the wake of its release. Chris nor the cast should have to deal with this kind of stress. The people making such rash and unacceptable comments claim to be in love with the films. Some fans they are. This trilogy deserves fans like us that don't let conflicting reviews get in the way of our love of the films and Batman above all.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I ignore most critics. In the end, everything boils down to personal taste. True, some opinions are stated with the support of more and better thought-trough arguments and by people who seem more experienced and more educated in the matter and whose ideas therefore come off as more intelligently backed-up. But even they fall victim to subjectivity and individual preferences. I mean, you are not wrong for disliking Citizen Kane, even though almost all critics will tell you it's a brilliant film. Even if you can't precisely state why, as long as you're sincere i.e. not lying about the fact, you are still not wrong. Perhaps your opinion is so poorly stated it cannot provoke deep and insightful debate with others but it remains, above everything else, your opinion. You are entitled to one, like everybody else, and you even have the right to change it overtime. As long as you play things faire and square and thus accept that other people can have entirely different views, you are not to be disrespected for having your own.

The problem with several critics is that A) they arrogantly blow their opinion in our face as if it were the Absolute Truth and B) they resort to weird, sometimes prejudiced criteria when criticising a film. Some critics dare say Mission Impossible 3 is a far worse film than Mission Impossible 2 because it didn't have such great opening weekend BO results. I call horse bugger on that because BO performances, especially so early in the film's release, are in no way an indication of the film's quality.

Sometimes critics have darker motives too. They don't like a filmmaker or actor or they are repulsed by hype and they realise that there's an aura of authority surrounding their writings because a million people read their words, so they know that they can burn down a film and actually trap many people who are too lazy to think for themselves in following the same line of reasoning. Remember Halloween? When Carpenter's film was first released, critics panned the film. Audiences, however, seemed to like the taste of this new breed of thrillers (I know, Black Christmas and all but let's not get into that debate now, guys) and suddenly those same critics reconsidered Halloween and started praising it. Here, the fans won over the critics and not the other way around.

Whether your name is Roger Ebert or Homer Simpson, your words carry the same weight. One may have been doing this for much longer and seems able to dissect a film in more detail but in the end, the "do-I-like-this?" part of our brain functions the same way for all of us and so whatever the result, none is more true than the other.

I will watch TDKR if life stays good to me till next week and I will formulate my own opinion without insulting people whose opinion is different from mine. I am not afraid of confronting people who inflict stigmas on a film they haven't even seen yet or whose only line of defence is laying claims of idiocy vis-à-vis those who like or dislike what they dislike or like respectively. I think that the only element that can separate a good review from a poor review is the type of arguments one uses. But nothing can separate a right opinion from a wrong opinion for there is no such thing as a wrong opinion.
    I'm just still so glad Joseph Gordon Levitt seems to have a large role in the film. One of my favotire actors to date.
    Very well said, @DarthDimi, very well said.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I'm just still so glad Joseph Gordon Levitt seems to have a large role in the film. One of my favotire actors to date.

I can't wait for the film to finally show everyone that he isn't freaking Robin. I get so sick of hearing that. Every week it is a new story. He is Riddler....no, actually he is a fill in for Batman...oh no, scratch that, he is the boy wonder! YAWN. It is the equivalent of the people that won't stop chirping that Eve is Moneypenny in Skyfall. I have my I TOLD YOU SO stamp ready.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I can't wait for the film to finally show everyone that he isn't freaking Robin. I get so sick of hearing that. Every week it is a new story. He is Riddler....no, actually he is a fill in for Batman...oh no, scratch that, he is the boy wonder! YAWN. It is the equivalent of the people that won't stop chirping that Eve is Moneypenny in Skyfall. I have my I TOLD YOU SO stamp ready.

Haha he's definitely something bigger than the 'street cop' the trailers make him out to be. It's already been revealed by the later trailers that he works with Gordon. He's likely a new, larger character but nothing too special.
    Joseph Gordon Levitt is secretly Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. She isn't really in the film, he just plays her by wearing a mask, and then running around as Catwoman.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Joseph Gordon Levitt is secretly Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. She isn't really in the film, he just plays her by wearing a mask, and then running around as Catwoman.

Oh good! Should be better than if Hathaway actually played Catwoman. (Forreals, I still can't believe that casting decision.. but we'll see)
    Creasy47 wrote:

No way! Well, I gotta say then, he's has a nice arse. :))
    Haha, that he does! Incredible.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Oh good! Should be better than if Hathaway actually played Catwoman. (Forreals, I still can't believe that casting decision.. but we'll see)

I am skeptical as well @JWESTBROOK, but I am staying positive and hopeful. Anne is an absolute doll, and I am sick of all the flack she has gotten over her being cast in the role by critics and tabloids. Just wait, she'll impress you.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I have heard so many news stories saying TDKR will never be able to beat The Avenger's box office total. I say bull to that. The Avengers is just one film, of many in the future. This Batman film is the last in Batman Nolanverse, and has 100X more hype around it. I think it will do it. How cool would it be for TDK and TDKR to be back to back in the biggest BO rankings!
    I, too, believe TDKR will surpass 'The Avengers.' I don't see why it would be impossible.
    Where can I find a Batman free zone?

I find any Batman movies now, something approaching apathy maybe. I saw the original in 1989 and wasn't that impressed, subsequent releases were really no better, not really a fan of this Movie Icon. I don't even know what release of Batman this is, i.e. number in the series since 1989 ?. It's not for everybody all this hype it has to be said. I hope those who go to watch, their expectations are met though
    Regardles of the film? Always ignore the critics! Whether the reviews are good or bad? Just go along yourself to the cinema and make your own decision? Its always worked for me! ;)