The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    People say the Nolan fans are ridiculously obsessed and unable to take criticism, well the haters aren't much better, judging 00beast's take on things.

I can't say I have ever seen a series of films cause such a division, from some thinking they are masterpieces to others thinking they are utter excrement and getting quite angry about Nolan's supposed disrespect even to the point of giving Schumacher an easy ride after is utter desecration of the character.

Take comfort in the fact that this is Nolan's last Bat film and likely to be his last foray into the comic book world, when he's made the definitive statement in the genre why would he want any more to do with it?

As much as I would like to see him tackle Bond and with Craig I would also like to see a return to the director that gave us Memento & Prestige (my personal favourites), something a little more intimate and subtle after all the huge scale of this series.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I really don't think Batman will die. Like Brady said, it's called The Dark Knight RISES. He fell in TDK, when he had to take responsibility for the murders and everything, and I'm guessing this one is sort of his grand comeback, stopping Bane.

If you haven't seen TDK (go and see it now!), sorry for no spoilers, but I'm guessing everyone on this thread will have seen the film.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Danny Haas made this very cool poster for Nolan's trilogy:
    funny-celebrity-pictures-trilogy.jpg

I want this.
    00Beast wrote:
    After reading the talk of speculation about whether Batman lives or dies, I will say this. If Batman does end up dead at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, I will forever despise the Nolan trilogy and completely disregard him as any kind of director, and I will be entirely ashamed of the way the Batman series has been taken, much like I already am with the crud-load we know as The Dark Knight from 2008. Goodness, people think the Nolan trilogy is so good, and then I'd like to shove The Animated Series and the Arkham games into their heads to make room for a little sense about the Caped Crusader!

I like the Arkham games and the Nolan films (never seen the animated series though, or read the comics or anything, I've only seen Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, the Nolan films, and played the games). Why didn't you like TDK? Don't worry, I doubt Batman will die.

Kind of off topic because it isn't really about TDKR, but I was watching the Burton Batman film last night, and one thing I think he did do better than Nolan was Gotham. He made this big, gothic city which is sort of what I picture Gotham as.

I hope Bale really shines in this one. I think Ledger sort of overshadowed him in TDK, so I really want to see what he can do. I think right now I prefer Keaton to him (as Batman, I like Bales films better).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I have found quite a few people find Keaton's Batman their favourite, I remember when Batman 89 was released and I can tell you people were not so kind.

Personally I don't see it, Bale's reading is far more 3 dimensional plus he essentially plays 3 characters, the play boy Bruce the real Bruce and Batman, I never saw a great distinction between Keaton's portrayal, he had is Batman sound gruff that was about it, I like Keaton and he's really shined in other films and he was the best of the previous series but Bale has made the character living flesh and blood and not some cardboard character which to me is all the previous series did, I don't think he look entirely comfortable in the role.

I've noticed that some people criticise the Nolan films as they don't see comic book enough for me that is my problem with the Marvel films, I though Iron Man was the strongest but the subsequent films have been diminishing returns, Cap was dreadful.

I've not seen Avengers yet and I've heard from a friend who loves it that it doesn't really have much plot and is all about the characters and their interplay, Weedon's real strength. For me Nolan's films have always more appealed because they aren't so comic book, people who prefer BB to TDK seem to be those who prefer the more comic book feel, I think BB was the most that way as Nolan couldn't introduce the character and do an origin story any other way.

Once he'd done that he wasn't going to make it's sequel that way, the fact TDK is a sprawling crime epic more akin to Michael Mann is the reason I like it that much more, I'm not a huge comic book fan I've liked a few of the films of the genre but the reason I love these films is Christopher Nolan, he hasn't done what Marvel is doing. The marvel films and other subsequent films have felt like episodes whereas Nolan's feel like proper films that stand in their own right, I'm sure it is intentional but for me it is what makes them less compelling a prospect.

As much as Iove Ledger in TDK it wouldn't have been as good without Bale, his performance is more subtle and in the background but it's impressive nonetheless and his integral to whole film working. I think TDKR is when he is going to really shine and the reviews seem to say this.

I'd be really suprised if TDKR didn't get good reviews.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Have fun with this: Clear Channel Radio believes TDKR is using the villain 'Bane' to hurt Mitt Romney, as in terms of his former employer, Bain Capital. Thus, when the elections really kick off later in the year, we will think back to this film and somehow put his former employer and Batman's nemesis together, and not want to vote for him or something.

Wouldn't this be the same logic as not wanting to vote for Obama because he has the name 'Hussein' in his full name?

If you want to listen to/read about this idiocy, check this link:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/rush-limbaugh-dark-knight-bain-ban/
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Have fun with this: Clear Channel Radio believes TDKR is using the villain 'Bane' to hurt Mitt Romney, as in terms of his former employer, Bain Capital. Thus, when the elections really kick off later in the year, we will think back to this film and somehow put his former employer and Batman's nemesis together, and not want to vote for him or something.

Wouldn't this be the same logic as not wanting to vote for Obama because he has the name 'Hussein' in his full name?

If you want to listen to/read about this idiocy, check this link:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/rush-limbaugh-dark-knight-bain-ban/

(sigh) That's my country for you. No wonder anti-Americanism is at a all time high in the world.

@thelivingroyale: In a word, The Dark Knight was BORING. There was too much emphasis on politics, morals, and ethics, especially about Batman "crossing the line" or whatever. Frankly I'd prefer to watch Batman beat up thugs and the big villains and not give any second thought to whether or not he was "trusted". I really don't like Christian Bale as Batman or Heath Ledger as The Joker; I thought both performances were quite bad.
    @00Beast, why didn't you like Ledger's performance as The Joker? Just curious.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I thought the way the made him all gloomy and trashy thug-like was a dumb road to take. I miss the exciting and comical antics of Nicholson and Hamill, who could play both sides of humor and darkness quite well. Ledger annoyed me greatly, especially with his talk of his background with his dad or whatever. Very overrated I've always thought.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    @thelivingroyale: In a word, The Dark Knight was BORING. There was too much emphasis on politics, morals, and ethics, especially about Batman "crossing the line" or whatever. Frankly I'd prefer to watch Batman beat up thugs and the big villains and not give any second thought to whether or not he was "trusted". I really don't like Christian Bale as Batman or Heath Ledger as The Joker; I thought both performances were quite bad.
    But all that stuff is what the greatest Batman stories are all about! I think Batman just blindly beating people down is BOOOOOOOOOOOORING. Batman doing that without a thought is not the character. He has a reason for everything that he does. If you want my full opinion, just read my long post on the last page. I let out all my feelings there, and have nothing else left to say. I just feel like I am in a library and all these great classics are around, yet everyone is reading teen magazines. My point is, Nolan's films are special, and shouldn't be missed for simplistic punch 'em up films ie. the Schumacher films.
    I think the line between darkness and humor was handled quite nicely by Ledger. He had an incredibly dark side with his own sense of a dry, evil humor.
    I have now tickets for July 27, the opening day in my country. You can expect my review the 28. Until day, good bye. I don't want any spoilers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think the line between darkness and humor was handled quite nicely by Ledger. He had an incredibly dark side with his own sense of a dry, evil humor.
    I laughed the entire movie! I just can't help but get giddy when I see heath up there on the screen. I respect Jack for what he did, but I just don't get much of a Joker out of him. Like I said in my Batman review he just seems to be Jack playing Jack impersonating Joker. The Joker antics and everything are there, but I just don't get the thrills I do when I watch TDK. I root for Joker in TDK, but I never once care about the Joker in Batman. I guess after I saw TDK and realized all that Joker can be, I lost all interest in Jack's interpretation. I think Jack did more of a Cesar Romero Joker, as it had been done before and it worked. I have seen that Joker before, so that may also be why I just don't care for him. When I saw Heath take it somewhere other than the constant laughing and the upgrades from stupid acid flowers to bazookas and handguns, I was gobsmacked. I think he was more like the Joker of the comics than Nicholson was as well. Jack was overly theatric, while Heath didn't need that to be convincing. He was an unaffected, unrelenting killing machine, and almost drove Batman to the brink. But Batman refuses to kill him because of the promise he made to himself the moment he put on that suit. If he let Joker die he would be just like Joe Chill. That is something I wish the Burton crew would have understood. Batman has a body count in those films, and it is really pathetic to see that. That just isn't Batman done correctly. Bale got it right, and Heath was a livewire in that indelibly brilliant performance. Truly one of my favorite performances in a film, if not at the top.
    And with Bale's Batman going off of that pact he made to himself, I'm curious as to how he plans on handling Bale in TDKR.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    And with Bale's Batman going off of that pact he made to himself, I'm curious as to how he plans on handling Bale in TDKR.
    He didn't go off on the pact. He hasn't killed a single man. He went through with his pact to be what Gotham needed him to be, so
    he took responsibility over the deaths Joker and Harvey brought on.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    He didn't go off on the pact. He hasn't killed a single man. He went through with his pact to be what Gotham needed him to be, so

I meant the complete opposite of what I said. I don't know why I put 'going off of,' I guess I meant to word it a different way and that's what came out. I meant 'Bale's Batman continuing on with his pact...'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I meant the complete opposite of what I said. I don't know why I put 'going off of,' I guess I meant to word it a different way and that's what came out. I meant 'Bale's Batman continuing on with his pact...'
    Exactly.
    Will he finally have to fall through and kill Bane as the only way to stop him? Should be interesting.
    Batman's morals are one of the greatest aspects of his character, and why I rate the Nolan films so high and the Burton films lower. In his Batman we see how the deaths of his parents have affected him, yet he has no problem taking human lives, even of small time thugs.
    And when he kills Joker for vengeance (they should never of had him be the killer of Thomas and Martha Wayne) I just facepalm. Batman just wouldn't do that.
    The true magic of Batman and Joker is the fact that Batman will never kill him because he has his ethics, and the Joker won't kill him because he is finally an interesting challenge for him. One of my favorite aspects of TDK is
    how Joker starts the film wanting to kill Batman, but when he sees how much more fun he is than ripping off mobsters and gangs, he refuses to kill him and in affect, end the fun.
    I love that, and with TDK I feel the notion that "there can be no hero without the villain" is strongest and presented the best out of the Batman films.
    I love that, too. Joker's transformation into working with Gotham's bad guys to kill Batman, just to realize that he needs Batman, because, in a sense, they need one another.
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I thought the way the made him all gloomy and trashy thug-like was a dumb road to take. I miss the exciting and comical antics of Nicholson and Hamill, who could play both sides of humor and darkness quite well. Ledger annoyed me greatly, especially with his talk of his background with his dad or whatever. Very overrated I've always thought.

Jokers background in TDK was mysterious, because he gave multiple backstory's, because he was insane. I thought Ledgers performance was the highlight of TDK.
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Jokers background in TDK was mysterious, because he gave multiple backstory's, because he was insane. I thought Ledgers performance was the highlight of TDK.

Yes, it was all theatrical. And anyway, the Joker's backstory has never been confirmed or set in stone. It is all open to interpretation for the most part.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,534
    Yeah, that's why he gave us so many backstories: we have none. We don't know who he really is, so it's entirely mysterious and ambiguous.

Depending on where you live, TDKR Mondo poster is available until midnight tonight. After this, it will be sold out for good. Get to it, if you have the cash!
    http://www.slashfilm.com/olly-moss-dark-knight-rises-mondo-poster/

And now, it appears that as more TDKR reviews pile in, the film isn't as 'epic' as people planned. I just caught four glimpses of quick, spoiler-free ones, and three of them said:
    the characters felt 'suffocated' in the near-three hour film

while someone else said:
    it was better than BB, but not as good as TDK

Time will tell!

The spoilers I added give nothing away, just putting them there in case someone doesn't want anyone else's thoughts on the film whatsoever.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It does seem some are on the fence about whether it's better or not. Some think it is, others think it is not. I guess we'll see how we personally feel soon. I still think, it could be the better of the two.
    I'm sure it's going to be a truly excellent finale to Nolan's trilogy, but now that I think of it, TDK will probably be hard to beat. Time shall tell, though.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I think this can beat the last film, whether it does, I'll let you know in a few days. Hardly a bad film though, right. Still first class in every way, it appears.
    Yeah, the only gripes appear to be minor ones, and I think it's because those who have already seen it thought they knew it was going to be the best in the trilogy, so they set themselves up to be let down. Don't get me wrong, I love going to see a movie that I think is going to be excellent, and it somehow ends up being better, but if you do that for every film, you're going to find yourself let down more often than you'd like.
    I agree, that's the main problem I think many are having. The fans of the series, will I hope, go about things differently.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/negative-reviews-of-the-dark-knight-rises-incites-rage-to-fans

The morons are already at work. And I do not mean the the movie-critics but those folks who started of being created in a moment of love or passion and have grown into fullsized looneys that consider the internet their voice and that justifies their insults.

My thumb of rule: Do not write on the internet what you would not dare to say into somebody his/her face.
    @SaintMark, that's the tragedy of the internet: people can say whatever they want on the Internet, yet it would be a complete 180 if they were speaking to that person directly to their face. It's why I hold my tongue, because you never know when you're going to set someone off and they'll truly want to do something about it.

A woman in the town I grew up in (about fifteen minutes from where I live now) was just murdered and had her house set on fire...because of what she wrote about the person in an article at the newspaper company she works at.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 7,653
    "Creasy47
    A woman in the town I grew up in (about fifteen minutes from where I live now) was just murdered and had her house set on fire...because of what she wrote about the person in an article at the newspaper company she works at.

With papers there is an extra control namely an editor who decides what to print or not to print. This sounds more like an attack on the freedom of speech.

I cannot fault the negative critisms towards TDKR, since I have not seen it nor does anyone who is NOT a critic so those morons lack any 1st hand knowledge to judge a critism correct/wrong are might have a point.
    But like with so many movie-opinions you will have the Maffia here as well when one disagrees with the general opinion. And Then people can be right @rseh@les.

It's down to 85% by critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

I just can't stand, not as a fanboy, but as a film connoisseur, how almost all of the negative comments talk about how 'it's too focused on metaphors with reality, and goes too dark and too grim'. No. That's not a proper review. A film should be reviewed based on it's entertainment value. That's what sells movies, thats what people care about.

Who cares if it complains about Wall Street. Was it fun to watch? Was it inviting? Was it relatable? Did it make sense? Was it put together well? Did it look good? That's what matters in a film. I can't stand someone rating the film BELOW a 6/10(!!!!), otherwise known as 'rotten', because of the comparisons to reality in the film. Uh, hello, that's how you make a film relatable. I don't see how you can rate a film so low for something that may not HAVE EVEN BEEN INTENTIONAL.

Can anyone see what I mean?