The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

Risico007 wrote:
    Dark knight rises will rock!

Apparently the reviews have been very good so far.
    So who all thinks Nolan kills off Batman, or leaves his death unanswered at the end? I don't know anything, I'm not trying to hint, just interested in thoughts.

If I were the joker I'd say it's "Simple. Kill.. the Bat-man." Nolan answered everyone's question when they put that line in the 2nd film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Batman won't die.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Batman won't die.

Confirmed?

xxx
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bruce Wayne is Batman, and if they kill him off, I don't see what type of direction they can take when they choose to do a reboot in the coming years, unless it's some cheesy resurrection, or they completely forego Nolan's ending if he does die. I've heard talk everywhere of people discussing whether he will live or die. I suppose we will see come release time. I just hope I can see it soon enough so I don't have the ending spoiled for me, along with the rest of the film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The reboot will start from scratch anyway, so it doesn't matter whether Batman lives or dies in this film, right?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The reboot will start from scratch anyway, so it doesn't matter whether Batman lives or dies in this film, right?

I kind of hope he does, or at least may it 'unclear' and 'open' at the end to whether or not he is.

That way, Nolan says "EFF YOU" to the Reboot Hollywood Society and seals his as a perfect trilogy never to be matched.

But yes, I suppose either way it doesn't matter.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,534
    I suppose you are right; if it's a total reboot, then Nolan can choose to go about it however he wants, as it won't affect the later film(s).

Oh, and here's another "Countdown" spot for the film:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92573
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm glad the reviews are so good. Yesterday I saw BB and TDK back to back to get me in the mood. I've been staying away from the ridiculous amount of videos, footage, etc making the campaign, it was putting me off to be honest, it was saturating me.
    I don't mind a good publicity campaign (or even spoilers) but films appear to be forcing things lately. It put me off of watching The Avengers, almost put me off of The Amazing Spider-man (had to stop watching the snippets too) but I couldn't let it do the same to TDKR.
    I almost bought 'Batman Begins' on blu-ray for only $10 at Walmart the other day, just so I could have a back-to-back before TDKR releases. Sadly, I think it's highly improbable that I will catch it opening night/weekend, which really opens me up for a possibility of spoilers.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'll be watching the following in preparation for Friday:

Batman year one
    BB
    Batman Gotham Knight
    TDK
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Batman won't die.

Confirmed?

xxx

Common sense. The film is The Dark Knight RISES, not falls. Batman will beat the challenge ahead of him. The track that is going to be used to transition into the credits (easy to tell) is called Risen From Darkness. Bats will survive, but will deal with some massive obstacles first that will test every fiber of his being.
    I love how 'The Dark Knight' involved The Joker breaking him down mentally, and now 'The Dark Knight Rises' will involve Bane breaking him down physically. I cannot wait for TDKR to release on blu-ray, so I can watch Nolan's trilogy in a row. I've been on a roll with that lately, with films like the two 'Sherlock Holmes' and the 'Mission: Impossible' series. Highly entertaining.
    I will buy all the trilogy in a collection once TDKR releases on Blu-ray. Hopefully they will release the whole trilogy at the time it comes out. I have staved off buying BB and TDK on Blu-ray because of it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I'm watching BB Wednesday night and TDK Thursday night on Blu ray in preparation for my Friday 3pm IMAX showing in Bradford.

Quite a few of the reviews are saying a refresher on the previous 2 is probably advisable. It seems there are very few bad reviews and mostly positive to glowing. I think it will be like TDK practically everyone raving and then the knives will come out and forums on the web soon after it opens.

I personally loved BB when I saw and adored TDK so I can't see me being disappointed by this but I guess we'll see, I've been let down by Prometheus and didn't even bother with Avengers as having seen all the other Marvel films and with exception of Iron Man felt them all wanting, Captain America was atrocious.

The truth be known I more a Nolan fan than a comic book fan so I can see myself probably giving the genre a wide birth after TDKR unless another director gives it unique perspective like this hugely talented film maker has.

I really can't wait till Friday and if a certain spy film's 23rd entry 3 minute trailer is at the beginning it will be the cherry on top.

Shardlake wrote:
    I'm watching BB Wednesday night and TDK Thursday night on Blu ray in preparation for my Friday 3pm IMAX showing in Bradford.

I hear you, and same here! Bradford eh? What state are you from?
    I just checked to see if tickets are still available for my local midnight release, and they have six different screenings of the film from 11:45 PM - 12:15 AM, and five of those six are sold out. Wow. I really hope my friend gets to town soon and pre-orders our tickets. I have to see this movie.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote:

Bradford, Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Bradford, Yorkshire, England
    Ohhh, I was way off.
    I just watched Begins again. I sometimes forget how GOOD that film is and how it hasn't aged one bit since 2005. So i hear that TDKR mentions Begins a lot so I would recommend watching it before heading to see TDKR
    Danny Haas made this very cool poster for Nolan's trilogy:
    funny-celebrity-pictures-trilogy.jpg
    ^
    Holy hell that is epic!
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,534
    Yes, it is. There is WAY too much poster art for both Nolan's trilogy and TDKR that I just want to purchase my own museum dedicated to it. Oh, and if you have $100 to shell out, Mondo is making sure they have enough copies for one of their TDKR posters on a certain upcoming day, I can't recall the details. Mondo posters usually sell out very, very quickly, but they said they will have infinite copies for a full day to say thanks to those who appreciate their work.

EDIT: Here's the link and picture:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/new-mondo-dark-knight-rises-poster-can-be-bought-by-everyone/

darkknightrises-mondoposter-ollymoss-full.jpg
    After reading the talk of speculation about whether Batman lives or dies, I will say this. If Batman does end up dead at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, I will forever despise the Nolan trilogy and completely disregard him as any kind of director, and I will be entirely ashamed of the way the Batman series has been taken, much like I already am with the crud-load we know as The Dark Knight from 2008. Goodness, people think the Nolan trilogy is so good, and then I'd like to shove The Animated Series and the Arkham games into their heads to make room for a little sense about the Caped Crusader!
    00Beast wrote:
    After reading the talk of speculation about whether Batman lives or dies, I will say this. If Batman does end up dead at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, I will forever despise the Nolan trilogy and completely disregard him as any kind of director, and I will be entirely ashamed of the way the Batman series has been taken, much like I already am with the crud-load we know as The Dark Knight from 2008. Goodness, people think the Nolan trilogy is so good, and then I'd like to shove The Animated Series and the Arkham games into their heads to make room for a little sense about the Caped Crusader!
    I don't understand your hatred. Nolan is the best thing to happen to Batman in a decade. The animated series and games are great, but these films are on a whole new level. Don't bicker if Batman dies. Look at what he died for, that's the important thing. Bless Nolan for restoring Batman's reputation as the greatest hero in comics. No one else could be this affective, and we are but days from his third Batman masterpiece.
    00Beast wrote:
    I don't understand your hatred. Nolan is the best thing to happen to Batman in a decade. The animated series and games are great, but these films are on a whole new level. Don't bicker if Batman dies. Look at what he died for, that's the important thing. Bless Nolan for restoring Batman's reputation as the greatest hero in comics. No one else could be this affective, and we are but days from his third Batman masterpiece.

There shouldn't be an even plausible or acceptable reason for him to die though! He is BATMAN! He doesn't get killed, he kicks butt! I also don't believe that Nolan restored anything, because it was never in dire need of restoration anyway. Even if Batman and Robin in 1997 did go way far beyond what Batman should have, there were plenty of other Batman outlets like the animated show or the comics to keep hope alive. I think Nolan has backed Batman down into a corner, because at this juncture, after TDKR, people will automatically and unfarily judge anything further by his standards and thus make it all the more difficult to get anywhere in the future.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

There shouldn't be an even plausible or acceptable reason for him to die though! He is BATMAN! He doesn't get killed, he kicks butt! I also don't believe that Nolan restored anything, because it was never in dire need of restoration anyway. Even if Batman and Robin in 1997 did go way far beyond what Batman should have, there were plenty of other Batman outlets like the animated show or the comics to keep hope alive. I think Nolan has backed Batman down into a corner, because at this juncture, after TDKR, people will automatically and unfarily judge anything further by his standards and thus make it all the more difficult to get anywhere in the future.

Batman was indeed in dire need of help. A lot say the Burton films are the best, but to be truthful he and his team muffed the characters a lot. Batman actually kills people, and his morals don't match that of the man I know from the comics. Batman should never ever kill someone. It defeats the purpose of him to have the rules he does. It defeats the purpose of the pledge he took to protect Gotham from criminal scum as his career in the cowl began. Not only was Batman's character screwed up, Nicholson's Joker was hardly Joker at all minus the occasional laughs and the makeup. Burton's films (especially in Batman Returns) become too overly bizarre for my taste, to the point where we have actual penguins shooting rockets at the Bat-plane. Really? That isn't how Batman should be portrayed. Nolan struck the right chord with me. A modern Batman in a realistic world. He has his morals in check and every single thing happening in the story is convincing. The films are deep, and have an emotional connection. The fight that goes on between Batman and the crime world is moving, as he fights to rationalize what he is doing. Nolan brought character studies to the films. Complex characters with deep layers. Joker isn't just some guy that laughs and shoots up the place like Nicholson's Joker. He is far more important than that. A mysterious man with a shaded past, who for some reason wants to watch the world crumble in front of him. He can't be payed off or silenced by intimidation. He is daring and willing to risk his hide to prove a point. And most important he is the perfect foil for Batman, for without Joker there can be no Batman. With no villain where is the need for the hero? Batman and Joker both need each other, and that is the stark brilliance that Nolan's films make me think about. They aren't just comics characters to me, they are something more. The tales Nolan has brought into his trilogy are immaculate, and I have never been moved as deeply as during TDK's amazing journey. To be a Batman fan isn't easy. For years prior to 2005 my childhood was littered with garbage attempts at adapting the caped crusader. Schumacher's worthless films that like Burton didn't do justice to the characters as they should have, and made a mockery of the characters in that world. A world with damn codpieces, nipples on the batsuit, where Batman says things he would never freaking say, like "chicks dig the car", and moments where Two-Face goes back on his word and reflips his coin, which absolutely defeats the beliefs of the character. A villain like Bane who is a tactical genius, but resorted to being a mumbling, voiceless idiot under Joel's "direction", if it can be called that. A villain like Victor Fries who isn't supposed to be a villain at all, but an everyman brought to desperation over the traumatic struggles he faces with coming closer to losing his wife forever each closing moment. In Batman and Robin that man is lost, instead there is only a joking fool, making quips involving ice. Give me a break. I don't know how anyone worth their salt as a Batman fan can like those two travesties of films. Not because I think you are insane for thinking they are good, but abashed to hear it because you claim to be such a big fan, and point out the animated series that understood the characters and the world they inhabit, yet you show love for films like those that have no understanding of them in the slightest. That is what Nolan brought back to us. It was Batman, finally after all these years up on that screen. A man that understood after his soul searching journey that vengeance against our trespassers is never the answer. A man that understood the deep importance of never compromising even in the face of men like Ra's, Scarecrow, Joker, and now Bane. No matter their motivations, they are evil and need to be stopped. Batman upholds his promise made to his parents and fights that fight, doing what needs to be done to ensure the safety of those around him, no matter the cost to himself. Like he says at the last minutes of TDK: "I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be." Those words will ring forever with me. I will always remember the justice Christopher did to the character and after all this time made me proud to be a Batman fan once again. No matter what the future holds for Batman on screen, I can always look back on this trilogy and say with confidence "now THAT is how Batman is done". Bless the ground that Mr. Nolan walks on.
    Well said 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Seems you are as fanatical about Batman as Bond.
    I have no history with Batman, I just love films and the 2 odd hour that takes me out of the real world of stress and jobs etc.
    I loved Batman, Batman returns and even forever a little. I hated the last one which I can't bring myself to type.

What I can say is that the Nolen reboots are up there with any movies I've seen for a long time, in fact TDK I'd go as far to say the second or third greatest cinema eperience for me after Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Bak and thats a lot of films.
    So much so, that I'm going to se a double bill later.

Regarding Batman dying, it seems that everyone is split in their opinion and from one review I've read (and which I won't spoil) you'd even say it clarifies one way or another, yet even that could have a different context if you think about is closely and only watching the film will clarify.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    00Beast wrote:

Why, because people who like the Nolan Batmans are idiots?
    Because you can't enjoy both the Nolan series and the animated series and the games?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 268
    So I wanted to buy a cool looking tshirt for the premier, but couldnt find any... so I had to do everything on my own *sigh*
    ibeMOEGYksBEn2.png
    movie_dark_knight_rises_soundtrack_cover.jpg
    zkr4f.png
    Now I'm all set :D