The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

1394041424345»

Comments

Samuel001 wrote:
    This is the collector's edition. A normal set of the trilogy is released this year.

When? I didn't hear any news on it.

I think it's December... fourth? All three films with some bonuses, but I'd imagine it'd be best to wait.
  • They're also releasing The Exorcist and Enter The Dragon. Epic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This is the collector's edition. A normal set of the trilogy is released this year.

When? I didn't hear any news on it.

I think it's December... fourth? All three films with some bonuses, but I'd imagine it'd be best to wait.

Oh, duh. I just had a brain malfunction. Apologies.
  • I'm just curious, what format will the TDKR be on DVD? I hear it will flip between widescreen and full-screen because it was filmed on imax? The TDK was surely the same and my DVD for that dosent flip between the pair.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    In Sweden, the release date will be November 28th!
  • I'm just curious, what format will the TDKR be on DVD? I hear it will flip between widescreen and full-screen because it was filmed on imax? The TDK was surely the same and my DVD for that dosent flip between the pair.

That only applies the the blu ray releases of both The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. IMAX sequences appear in 1.78:1 and the regular sequences appear in traditional wide screen format, 2.40:1

There's a copy online (I can PM it to you if you want) of the movie ripped from the blu-ray (even though it's not out yet).

Format does flip from widescreen to fullscreen. I'm not gonna lie, it can be a bit obvious at times.
  • Yeah I'm aware that there are a few versions of the blu-ray onlien that fleip between the format. I'm not a big fan of the full-screen to be honest. If I go for the normal release opposed to the blu-ray will I get the full widescreen movie?
  • Yeah I'm aware that there are a few versions of the blu-ray onlien that fleip between the format. I'm not a big fan of the full-screen to be honest. If I go for the normal release opposed to the blu-ray will I get the full widescreen movie?

Yeah, you should do on DVD. I have The Dark Knight on DVD (waiting for the trilogy box set before I upgrade to Blu Ray) and it is constant widescreen.

But you are missing out on the wonders of Blu Ray.
  • Yeah I know that’s the thing. But I think I'd just find the screen-switching between full and widescreen irritating.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Has anyone else seen this?

www.bestbuy.com/tdkr
    This doesn't pertain to the movie, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit of information. Apparently, Christopher Nolan met with Heath Ledger about being in 'Batman Begins':

http://www.slashfilm.com/trivia-christopher-nolan-met-with-heath-ledger-for-the-lead-role-in-batman-begins/#more-150351
    I decided before the movie came out NOT to go to cinema to see it, as I didnt think it could EVER be as great as Dark Knight...WELL I bought the DVD when it came out, and now I cant stop watching it (abouyt 6 watches in one week, certainly the finest film I've seen this year (or for a good many years), and for my money THE finest comic book movie ever, and it's a terrible pity that Nolan wont make another one in this series coz I think Warners are going to piss over his achievements

If Nolan doesnt get somekind of recognition (Bafta or whatever) for this incredible movie, it just goes to show how out of touch those awards are
  • Really? I loved the grand romantic nature of the story, the talk of revolution and such like, but felt the movie crippled under its own self-importance and weight. It was essentially a mess, I can excuse a few plot holes but the film was riddled with them making them too gaping to ignore. I think its all a sign that Nolan has been given too much rope. TDKR is an exercise in indulgence.
    Really? I loved the grand romantic nature of the story, the talk of revolution and such like, but felt the movie crippled under its own self-importance and weight. It was essentially a mess, I can excuse a few plot holes but the film was riddled with them making them too gaping to ignore. I think its all a sign that Nolan has been given too much rope. TDKR is an exercise in indulgence.

I agree. It's a mess of a film.
    The nolan's were given too much control of the films
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Really? I loved the grand romantic nature of the story, the talk of revolution and such like, but felt the movie crippled under its own self-importance and weight. It was essentially a mess, I can excuse a few plot holes but the film was riddled with them making them too gaping to ignore. I think its all a sign that Nolan has been given too much rope. TDKR is an exercise in indulgence.

Hardly. Nolan would have loved to make a longer film that fleshed out the story more but he was made to shorten it by the studio and IMAX is expensive a bulky, so he had to crop stuff out to leave room for essentials. That leaves blank spaces unfortunately, and since Nolan doesn't do director's cuts, I doubt they'll ever be filled.
  • RC7RC7

Hardly. Nolan would have loved to make a longer film that fleshed out the story more but he was made to shorten it by the studio and IMAX is expensive a bulky, so he had to crop stuff out to leave room for essentials. That leaves blank spaces unfortunately, and since Nolan doesn't do director's cuts, I doubt they'll ever be filled.

I don't think he's referring to the length of the film. Indulgence isn't necessarily about quantity, but content.
  • When I first saw it I thought it was awesome but after that, when I thought more about it, there are some plot holes and things that don't add up.

The big one, for me, was how did Bruce get back to Gotham? He escaped from prison, brilliant, but he's stuck on the other side of the world with no money.

Even if he somehow got back to America and outside the city, what about the ice. They made a point of making sure the audience knew nobody could leave or enter Gotham.

We never get any of that explained. He just pops up again.
    When I first saw it I thought it was awesome but after that, when I thought more about it, there are some plot holes and things that don't add up.

The big one, for me, was how did Bruce get back to Gotham? He escaped from prison, brilliant, but he's stuck on the other side of the world with no money.

Even if he somehow got back to America and outside the city, what about the ice. They made a point of making sure the audience knew nobody could leave or enter Gotham.

That's what could have been explained with a longer film that the studio told Nolan he couldn't have. I figure Bruce climbs out, frees the other prisoners, and they all go to find one of Bane's troupe who stayed behind to keep watch and jacked their helicopter/plane after they knock him out.
  • RC7RC7
    When I first saw it I thought it was awesome but after that, when I thought more about it, there are some plot holes and things that don't add up.

That's what could have been explained with a longer film that the studio told Nolan he couldn't have.

I like TDKR, it has something truly awesome scenes. However, I do agree that there were a lot of holes. I think he tried to cram in a tad too much. I don't really think it's got much to do with the studio. To be fair if you can't resolve all the plot strands in a 2 1/2 run time then maybe you've got a few too many.
    RC7 wrote:

That's what could have been explained with a longer film that the studio told Nolan he couldn't have.

I like TDKR, it has something truly awesome scenes. However, I do agree that there were a lot of holes. I think he tried to cram in a tad too much. I don't really think it's got much to do with the studio. To be fair if you can't resolve all the plot strands in a 2 1/2 run time then maybe you've got a few too many.

It's an ambition project. Ambitious films aren't an hour or two. They are extensive. This is basically (or should have been) a comic book epic. Look at Ben-Hur. I dare you to cram everything that goes into that film (from a revenge tale to a preachy last hour and a half dealing with Christ) into that timeframe. Good luck.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,107
    I like TDKR the best from the Nolan trilogy.
    My short positive review:
    Firstly I will say that I loved Batman Begins. Then Christopher Nolan gave us The Dark Knight and I felt it was on a whole other level than Batman Begins.
    The acting was absolutely superb! Christian Bale was at his very best playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. Michael Caine was brilliant as Alfred despite his short screen time and I feel the performance was Oscar nomination worthy. Anne Hathaway was a better Catwoman than I could have imagined. Joseph Gordon Levitt was really good as Blake. Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman were good as always playing Gordon and Fox. Marion Cotillard was good as Miranda as well. Finally Tom Hardy as Bane. I thought this was good casting from the start but I never imagined something quite this good! Tom Hardy stole the show for me just like Heath Ledger did in The Dark Knight. Bane is one of my favourite baddies of all time now and while it wasn't quite as good as The Joker, it was as close as it was ever going to come. Tom Hardy is worthy of an Oscar nom for his portrayal of Bane especially since he was restricted with the mask and had to convey emotions through eyes, voice and body language. There were a few moments where I couldn't understand his voice but sometimes it just took a few extra seconds to absorb it and his voice sounds too awesome to care anyway.

Wally Pfisters cinematography was incredible once again and I think I see another Oscar nomination for him.

Hans Zimmer's score was his greatest yet in my opinion and it really added to the emotional depth of the film and just got you into the film right from the start. Dare I say it another Oscar nomination?

Finally Christopher Nolan's Direction was incredible as always and I truly believe this to be his finest creation to date and he must get an Oscar nomination if not his first win, he definitely deserves it.

Overall this film was outstanding, one of the greatest films ever made,the finest of Nolan's Batman trilogy and the best superhero movie of all time. An Oscar nomination is deserved and I think any other film coming out this year will struggle to beat it.
    I always going to have a soft spot for Burtons batman movies but I must admit Nolan is the best.
  • When I first saw it I thought it was awesome but after that, when I thought more about it, there are some plot holes and things that don't add up.

That's what could have been explained with a longer film that the studio told Nolan he couldn't have. I figure Bruce climbs out, frees the other prisoners, and they all go to find one of Bane's troupe who stayed behind to keep watch and jacked their helicopter/plane after they knock him out.

Sorry, but to put it harshly but you don't know what your talking about. No studio execs were looking over Nolan's shoulder, TDKR is 100% his film, there was no compromise. Nolan is one of the few director's out there who can write his own ticket without fear that execs will impose on him. The fact that we have a 2hr 45min 'Batman' film for Christ sake reveals to you just how much control Nolan had.

The film is a miscalculation in many regards, the story was badly handled. I know all fanboys will kill me for saying it but the narrative is such a mess. The first act is messy but forgiveable, the second act is stoggy and slow and the third act is almost comical (45 minutes before the bomb blows? More fitting in Adam West's Batman than in Nolan's). Not to mention that all 3 acts don;t actually work together, instead they work against one another.

Then it makes silly mistakes like Bane's plot. What is the point of torturing the city only to blow it up? Is it an excuse at having a underlining political message on the current economic climate? If it is, I don't know if it worked because the movie subverted its own theme by having a big old nuclear bomb in a truck that's going to go off anyway. I also laughed aloud in the scene where Dr Pavel turns the fusion reactor into a nuclear bomb, this guy needs a pay rise it took him all of 30 seconds. Essentially there is too much story and the film collapses on itself.

The film also does loads of things right though. The opening action set-piece is brilliant. the characterisation of Bane is terrific and he makes a great foil for Batman. Anne Hathaway is a revelation as Selina Kyle, and all the supporting players are terrific. The sheer ambition of the movie is tremendous, I love the middle section of the film with Bane trying to seize control and the revolution taking place. I mean that has literally never been done before in a big-budget film and it works amazingly well. Furthermore Gordon and the other police officers running the resistance is an inspired idea and truly an unique concept. However, when marred together with all the rest of the story the film goes through (all the sub-players have their own plots) the film crumbles. Keeping it simple is the way forward, I mean just look at Skyfall.
  • RC7RC7
    It's an ambition project. Ambitious films aren't an hour or two. They are extensive. This is basically (or should have been) a comic book epic. Look at Ben-Hur. I dare you to cram everything that goes into that film (from a revenge tale to a preachy last hour and a half dealing with Christ) into that timeframe. Good luck.

What's this got to do with Ben-Hur? Begins and TDK were epic in scope and they were 2 1/2 hours long. But again, this isn't about length, you can tell an epic tale in that time frame perfectly adequately. They should have kept it as simple as possible and let the story speak for itself.
  • maybe im being dumb but the last line of the film is one of the lawyers saying they they can't leave a 'stone unturned' in finding something. I cant quite remember what it was, something is telling me it was Bruce's mother's pearl necklace. Am I right? I looked on the internet and can't find an answer. Also was Selina Kyle wearing the necklace in her last scene in the movie in Florence?
    maybe im being dumb but the last line of the film is one of the lawyers saying they they can't leave a 'stone unturned' in finding something. I cant quite remember what it was, something is telling me it was Bruce's mother's pearl necklace. Am I right? I looked on the internet and can't find an answer. Also was Selina Kyle wearing the necklace in her last scene in the movie in Florence?

I haven't seen the film since it was out in theaters, so hopefully @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 enters the thread soon: he's your go to man for Batman.

I saw the Brady signal in the sky and came to help. Yes, it is the pearls. The man even states that they can't leave a string of pearls marked "missing" on the manifest. As for if Selina is wearing them, I don't know for sure.
  • I saw the Brady signal in the sky and came to help. Yes, it is the pearls. The man even states that they can't leave a string of pearls marked "missing" on the manifest. As for if Selina is wearing them, I don't know for sure.

Thought the same thing when i watched it couple days ago, in the final scene Selina does appear to be wearing pearls.