The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,534
    I know Miranda's real identity was the big twist, but it bothers me when a film builds up a character like that, and then they are shoved out of the way for something else, and then Talia becomes the central focus. I wish he had a better death/capture scene, what have you, and we didn't just cut from the main villain to a brand new one that feels like we're supposed to loathe even more. I just felt the final showdown between Batman and Bane could have lasted much longer with a more satisfying ending.

As @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, with all of the scenes they could have extended, whether it to be to add more to the story, action, background, clear up plot holes, the film could have easily been four hours, and I would have been comfortable with that. That's why I would like seeing a director's/extended cut of sorts, like they did with 'The Town,' that's incredibly long and really adds even more to the film.
    are you guys over looking all the faults in this film or what? the whole thing was full of plot holes the size of blofeld's volcano base ... i was shaking my head throughout this movie! what a let down!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Maybe Nolan has material to add to all three films. Extended editions, like with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, would be nice, if Nolan wanted to do such a thing. Maybe even release them in the cinema again, as I'm sure WB would love more money from these films.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Maybe Nolan has material to add to all three films. Extended editions, like with The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, would be nice, if Nolan wanted to do such a thing. Maybe even release them in the cinema again, as I'm sure WB would love more money from these films.

I would purchase that in a heartbeat, lock myself in a room for a day or two, and watch all three of them in a row. It's what I plan on doing when TDKR hits blu-ray, unless they do release an extended trilogy of sorts.

@mnhettia, name some of the plot holes, I'm curious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mnhettia wrote:
    are you guys over looking all the faults in this film or what? the whole thing was full of plot holes the size of blofeld's volcano base ... i was shaking my head throughout this movie! what a let down!

Like I said, the lack of time to explain areas of the film in an effort to focus on other things in the film can come off as plot holes. That is one of the chief issues. It should have pulled a Titanic and let everything hang out.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I know Miranda's real identity was the big twist, but it bothers me when a film builds up a character like that, and then they are shoved out of the way for something else, and then Talia becomes the central focus. I wish he had a better death/capture scene, what have you, and we didn't just cut from the main villain to a brand new one that feels like we're supposed to loathe even more. I just felt the final showdown between Batman and Bane could have lasted much longer with a more satisfying ending.

As @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, with all of the scenes they could have extended, whether it to be to add more to the story, action, background, clear up plot holes, the film could have easily been four hours, and I would have been comfortable with that. That's why I would like seeing a director's/extended cut of sorts, like they did with 'The Town,' that's incredibly long and really adds even more to the film.

I hate that Bane is such a strong force in the start and middle, then takes a back seat after we find out he has been thinking with his d*ck the whole time and was more devoted to his love for Talia than the cause he was involved in. I would have much rather had him survive than be shot and have that done with. I think a better way to have gone about it would be to have him incapacitated, and then after Gotham is saved we see a man's shadow (Bruce) pulling an slightly unresponsive and groggy Bane tied with a rope back into the pit, where he belongs to live out the rest of his sorrowful life. We hear his screams as the camera pans away from the scene.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 203
    @creasy47 ... ok here are some ... how did wayne get to Gothem? how did his broken back heal so quickly? why do ppl with guns resort to fist fights? how did the 'bat' go unnoticed during the invation for 5 months?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    They probably cut these scenes because they thought it'd be too long. I hope they release a directors cut or put them on deleted scenes.
    mnhettia wrote:
    @creasy47 ... ok here are some ... how did wayne get to Gothem? how did his broken back heal so quickly? why do ppl with guns resort to fist fights? how did the 'bat' go unnoticed during the invation for 5 months?

His back might not have actually been broken, and who says it healed quickly, he might've been there for a while. Gotham is a big city, The Bat not being noticed isn't that likely but it's not impossible.
    That's the main thing for plot holes: something makes no sense, and then you see a very small extended scene on the DVD/blu-ray copy that totally fixes the problem. Even the camera work can mess up a goof, like when Bond enters the wrong password into the laptop in CR, as the numbers don't correspond with the code being 'VESPER.' It could have easily been remedied by the camera looking at the screen or his face as he typed it all out.

As for Batman getting back to Gotham, everyone's thought is that wherever he may find himself in the world, he must have a connection, a stash of money, something to that effect. Not so far-fetched when you're a famous billionaire like Bruce Wayne. I'm guessing the Pit was in Mexico? That's what I read shortly after the film's release, but the scenery and some of the dialogue looks like/sounds incredibly Middle Eastern/Arabic.
    It just gets worse:

A North Ridgeville man was arrested Monday night by police who said he carried a gun, two loaded magazines and several knives into a Saturday night showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”

The identity of the suspect and further details of the arrest are not immediately available, but police confirmed that a sharp-eyed manager was suspicious of the man and his satchel when he entered the 10 p.m. showing of the Batman film.

The manager and an off-duty Westlake policeman working security searched the man’s bag and found the items. A search warrant was executed at the man’s home Monday night. The suspect was arrested without incident.

Tensions at showings of the movie have been high since a man shot and killed 12 people and wounded at least 58 others in a suburban Denver movie theater on July 20. James Holmes, 24, has been charged with the shooting spree.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/08/man_arrested_for_carrying_gun.html

A 37-year-old North Ridgeville man is being held without bail in the Westlake jail after an off-duty police officer found a loaded gun, extra ammunition clips and four knives in a satchel he carried into a Saturday night showing of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Lt. Ray Arcuri said police have no idea why Scott A. Smith carried the weapons into the theater, but are taking no chances. With the memory fresh of the July 20 shooting spree at a "Dark Knight" movie showing in Colorado that left 12 people dead and 58 wounded, police and theater security are vigilant.

"After Colorado anything is possible," said Arcuri. "When you consider the movie he was going to and what happened in Colorado, you have to wonder what would make him want to bring the weapons into that particular film. Our police officer did a great job spotting him."

Arcuri said Westlake Officer Jeremiah Bullins was off duty and working security at the Regal Cinema in the Crocker Park shopping center around 10 p.m. Saturday when he saw the theater manager talking to a man carrying a satchel. The manager did not ask to look inside the satchel.

Bullins followed the man when he walked into the theater showing the Batman movie and sat down.

"He entered the theater a half-hour early and was the only one in there," said Arcuri. "Bullins talked to the man and asked if he could see inside his bag. It was a consensual encounter.

"Bullins looked inside and saw a loaded Glock 9 millimeter handgun; two fully loaded magazine clips; three knives in the bag and one on his person," Arcuri continued. "When Bullins asked why he carried the weapons into the theater, the man said, 'No problem. I'll put them in my car.' But it was too late for that."

Smith was taken to the Westlake jail, where he refused to talk to police. (The Sun News is also pursuing this story; see their coverage.)

Matthew Bruce, attorney for Smith, said that if the allegations are true, Smith only brought the handgun to the theater to protect himself.

"He has never been in trouble with the law in this or any other state," Bruce said. "In light of the shooting in Colorado and similar threats, if he did bring a handgun to the theater it would have been for his perosonal protection and there would have been no intention of shooting anyone or causeing a panic."

Police believe Smith, who has a wife and young daughter, spent a short time in the military. He does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He does not have a criminal record, Arcuri said.

Smith married Jennifer Sullivan in 2009, a year after she purchased the house on Emerald Street.

He was then employed as a researcher for the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and his wife, also known as Jennifer Smith, was a branch manager of a local bank.

He filed for bankruptcy in September, 2010, but the application was rejected in February, 2011, because the combined wages of he and his wife were deemed enough to pay off the debts.

Records show that Smith had lived in North Ridgeville since 2008 and previously lived in Braintree, Mass.; Boyertown, Pa.; Schwenksville, Pa., and more than a dozen other locations in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

Westlake police executed a search warrant at Smith's North Ridgeville home Monday night.

Pati Habenicht, who lives across from Smith, said she didn't know about his arrest until this morning and then connected the dots with the search of the home.

"I told my husband when the other shooting happened, there was going to be a 'me too' thing. But our neighbor? It's crazy," she said.

Habenicht said early after Smith moved to the neighborhood, he and she had a conversation about her just getting a license to ride a motorcycle. She said Smith has a Harley.

Arcuri said they found about eight rifles and handguns at Smith's house along with a "survivalists gear" such as gas masks and bulletprooof vests.

A neighbor said the search of the home began around 7 p.m. and lasted at least three hours. North Ridgeville Police Chief Michael Freeman said he is not aware of any encounters between Smith and police.

Arcuri said Westlake police arrested Smith on charges of carrying a concealed weapons and three other weapons offenses. The case will be turned over to the Cuyahoga County prosecutor's office for possible additional charges.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/08/north_ridgeville_man_arrested.html
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mnhettia wrote:

*Wayne freed everyone held with him in the pit when he rose from it, so they could have helped. And Bruce learned to survive with nothing to his name in Batman Begins when he was away from Gotham crafting his skills and placing himself amongst the criminal world. He could have easily found a way back.

*His back heals after a period of 3 months, where he is training extensively to make his body come back from the injury. Like I said, more focus on his resurgence from this injury in the film was needed, but was not focused on as much as it should have been.

*The people with guns on Bane's side were being charged at by the GCPD, and as they came together to fight it doesn't make sense to use weapons anymore when you are closer enough for close quarters combat. And you are likely to shoot your own men in the chaos of the action in the fight.

*Batman hid the Bat with a camouflage net, as seen in the film. Not only was in high off the ground on one of Gotham's tallest buildings, Bane's main focus was in the armory bellow Wayne Enterprises, and didn't think to focus anywhere else, much less looking atop the damn buildings. Bane is tactical, but fallible.
    BBC Three, here in the UK are making a documentary on the event that happened on the 20th July. They've called it....The Batman Shootings.

This film is cursed, I tell you.
    I couldn't even believe reading that, @Samuel001. I'll admit, I didn't read all of that, as I'm tired of hearing about such terrible news lately, but it sounds like someone wanted their own fifteen minutes of fame, just a Holmes copycat, unless a motive was given and I'm incorrect.

As for Batman's back, I believe what happened to it was a lot lesser than it actually breaking, so it didn't need an incredible amount of time to heal.

In terms of Batman's escape with the bomb at the end, I'm guessing he decided to swim back? The last shot we see of his face is when the Bat is already way out to sea, so he hits the autopilot, ejects, and then swims that whole way back? I'm sure that was very grueling.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    BBC Three, here in the UK are making a documentary on the event that happened on the 20th July. They've called it....The Batman Shootings.

This film is cursed, I tell you.

A shame, as I believe if it wasn't for these events it would have topped TDK and The Avengers. But the lives of moviegoers matter, and not BO intake. A shame that everyone is giving so much attention to this with news shows dedicated chiefly to it. Such a wonderful trilogy marked by so much tragedy from Heath's and Conway Wickliffe's deaths to this now, it is too much to swallow.
    It will top The Dark Knight wordwide, that's something I suppose.

Ah well, if I met the guy that did this, I would look something like this:

cat__120807160917-200x149.jpg
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    There's a big difference between breaking your back and breaking your spine. Bruce Lee broke his back once (or was it dislodged vertebrae?) and then came back better than ever.
    Christopher Reeve on the other hand had a spinal cord injury, from which he unfortunately never recovered.

I have only seen TDKR once, and that was opening weekend- I can't remember if Wayne broke his back or dislodged a vertebrae- maybe someone can help me out with that?

Either way it's a hell of an injury, but a man can come back from that- and I believe he was down in that pit for months
    There's a big difference between breaking your back and breaking your spine. Bruce Lee broke his back once (or dislodged vertebrae?) and then came back better than ever.
    Christopher Reeve on the other hand had a spinal cord injury, from which he unfortunately never recovered.

I have only seen TDKR once, and that was opening weekend- I can't remember if Wayne broke his back or dislodged a vertebrae- maybe someone can help me out with that?

Either way it's a hell of an injury, but a man can come back from that- and I believe he was down in that pit for months
    Well his doctor in the cell had to punch something back in line on his, well...back. Make of that what you will, but it didn't look as severe an injury as in the comics.
    Finally got round to watching rises last Friday, enjoyed the first 2 hours though some of the dialog was inaudible, sure it will be sharper on bluray. have to agree with a few posters on here that the end was disappointing and felt rushed to me.
    Telling a story and trusting the audience to think is not the same as plotholes. Some posts give the impression that they want a tv program with enough lengths to go to the bathroom or the fridge in between.
    Of course it´s cool to have smooth storytelling and everything nicely laid out. But that was never Christopher Nolan´s idea. So much ought to be clear after Nolan´s last four or five films.

In my cinema there was no problem with the audio, and it was clear as day that Batman got one or more vertebrae dislodged, none broken. He probably had a number of ribs broken and some kind of trauma in his heart area. Or, to be more precise, Nolan kind of blurred the exact nature of Batman´s injuries, as he generally didn´t go into details in any shot that showed injury, like people getting shot for instance. He did the same in TDK.

As for Bane´s story, I´m not familiar with any comic books, but I found the whole story quite complete. Even if perhaps it would have been cool to see more of Bane´s development, that might have worked against the general tendency the film has to show only certain episodes and not go into detail on the surface.

To say Bane thought only with his d**k seems out of place. Bane and Talia were brother and sister in arms, his love for her notwithstanding. Bane wasn´t doing it all for her, they were both equally committed. I thought that was obvious.
    Slightly off topic, but I don't want to spoil a little spoof of TDKR in the YouTube thread:
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I am in splits! =))

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Finally watched the movie last night. I was expecting much more about it, but when I saw the final scenes and dialogues with Blake, and the final scene with Alfred. OMG! That was my reaction. :D
    Finally watched the movie last night. I was expecting much more about it, but when I saw the final scenes and dialogues with Blake, and the final scene with Alfred. OMG! That was my reaction. :D
    I think that scene with Alfred and Bruce wouldn't have been 10X more palpable if it wasn't already aforementioned by the world's greatest butler himself early on in the film. After I heard that I knew the ending and was sure Bruce would survive. I would much rather have had Alfred say he just wished Bruce never came back so he knew he was living his life, and then state nothing more, but at the end of the film have a tender moment where Alfred is out and about and suddenly Bruce approaches him after tracking him for days, and they tearfully embrace. I know the point of that scene is that Alfred is simply happy just to see Bruce happy and living the life he always envisioned for him after all his work as Batman was done, but I don't like the idea of Bruce not having contact with a man who is in every sense of the word like a second father. I hope Bruce stays in contact with Alfred afterwards, and checks up on John occasionally. I just like to think that.
    thank you Creasy47 and 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 for your responses. but why with all these loose ends and question marks with the audiance having to provide explanations and/or justify ... why things happended the way they did? this seems like lazy film making to me! this whole messy movie reeks of boredom... i think Nolan was bored with batman and went out with a wimper! very dissaponted!
    mnhettia wrote:
    thank you Creasy47 and 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 for your responses. but why with all these loose ends and question marks with the audiance having to provide explanations and/or justify ... why things happended the way they did? this seems like lazy film making to me! this whole messy movie reeks of boredom... i think Nolan was bored with batman and went out with a wimper! very dissaponted!

I think it was the opposite. We had a good many scenes of Batman in action, along with Bane doing his thing - stock market robbery, opening credits - and even the scenes that didn't involve action were entertaining to me. Nolan loved the trilogy, and he wrote a letter to fans after TDKR was finished, stating how much he was going to miss it.

I think if this was anything of a lesser film in terms of anticipation and excitement, it wouldn't have met as much criticism in the confusion/plot hole department. People wanted to take every single scene and line of dialogue and find something hidden in it or something wrong with it, and usually, those people were debunked. It's just a matter of catching the little things, like Batman's back breaking, when we clearly hear about the damage, which makes it possible for him to recuperate in time to return to Gotham City.

Some other things must be thought upon, such as how Wayne manages to make it back to Gotham City: just because he lost all of his money didn't mean he wasn't a renown billionaire at some point in time, and he probably had connections and drops all along parts of the world. If not, who is to say he didn't wait for the others to escape once he dropped the rope into the Pit? Perhaps one of them was big in his part of the world, and gave him a quick hand in returning to GC.
    mnhettia wrote:
    So a movie that makes you think is lazy and bored? I call the person viewing the film lazy if they believe that.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 5,767
    I don't like the idea of Bruce not having contact with a man who is in every sense of the word like a second father. I hope Bruce stays in contact with Alfred afterwards, and checks up on John occasionally. I just like to think that.
    But one major point here is that Bruce finds a life, finally, for the first time ever since his parents were killed. That means he will be fine on his own, without the coccoon of Alfred´s presence. The film is full of small references to that theme.
    And it doesn´t say anywhere that Bruce won´t have any contact anymore with Alfred.
    mnhettia wrote:
    but why with all these loose ends and question marks with the audiance having to provide explanations and/or justify ... why things happended the way they did? this seems like lazy film making to me! this whole messy movie reeks of boredom... i think Nolan was bored with batman and went out with a wimper! very dissaponted!
    Wow. What loose ends and question marks?
    The film is essentially quite simple: Batman takes on Bane and saves Gotham, Batman gets vindicated in the public, and Bruce Wayne finds a life. All neatly tied up. What´s so difficult to understand about that?

I find that one should not visit this thread unless TDKR gives you wood and you do not have any critism. :-B

I found TDKR the least of Nolan's Batman trilogy. While in the first two he went with a coherent story line with this last one he overreached himself and made of Bane a twobit criminal with nothing to offer whatsoever.
    One thing he did very well which was Anne Hathaway as the catwoman. (Even if I find Michelle Pfeifers' catwoman is easily the sexiest of the two imho.) She is worthy of a spin-off.

The ending of the movie was lazy indeed, when somewhere in the beginning there was talk of the autopilot of that bathelicopter. It was quite obvious that it would be used in the end. That was for me teh difference with the previous movies where Nolan did deliver surprises and did not make a movie by the numbers.
    agree SaintMark. the joker in TDKR was complex, unhinged and interesting to watch. i found Bane to be just a straightforward villan. to make matters worse he turns out to be the Batman Series' Renard! his ending was also very dissapointing. I was thinking that's it? also, why was Batman able to kick his @ss the second time around ... because he hit his mask?!? like you said, the ending was telegraphed at the begining! i was hoping against all hope that Nolan had a twist ending and it would be the opposite! if it had gone the other way it would have ended the triology perfectly.