The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

I thought it was Robin at first but looking at it now him becoming the new Batman makes more sense.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote:
    Saw it again and it was amazing but 2 very minor problems

1. The Cia guy in the beginning was a total ham

2. Alfred goes from always believing in Bruce to being quite a deuche.

THANK YOU! Somebody noticed that too. The film has a mind-blowing cast, but that guy is so over the top I couldn't take it. It was right at the start of the film, and I was hoping the rest of the casting for minor roles wasn't like that. Good god was he put on. He belted out every word like he had to emphasize everything and most of the time he sounded like he was selling me a car.
    Robin Blake, I think will be the next Batman in the Nolanverse. There were some Nightwing winks, some that I did notice and something I've read from the internets. But I think the whole point of him finding the Batcave, was not so he would become a new vigilante under a different name and costume, but that he would ensure the legend and the myth of Batman would survive. You can't do that with Nightwing. There always has to be a Batman.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Take what you will from it. Everyone's entitled to their view of the ending. It's classic Nolan.

No, people just connect it to Inception for no conceivable reason and try to ride the coattails. The evidence is given to you right there in the film! Nolan isn't trying to hid anything. People saying the ending is a dream is like policemen knowing without a shadow of a doubt who their murder suspect is, but they choose another random person with no connection to the crime at hand to take the rap.

Nonsense. Surely the fact there is such discussion about the subject confirms the nature of the ending. I don't think people are reading into it and if Nolan had wanted absolute finality he certainly would not have written and shot the ending in the way he did. It was done purely for one very distinct reason, to allow the audience to consider the possibilities.

The ending I took was that Bruce is alive and that John Blake emphasises the point that Batman and Bruce Wayne are not one and the same. The Batman is Legend, a symbol, immortal, it's Bruce's legacy, a gift to Gotham.

I don't know whether I'm right but it's the story I choose. Everyone has an opinion and frankly what's more interesting than that?
    How I saw the ending is this: Bruce is alive but has a new life now, and Robin will protect Gotham from now on.
    How I saw the ending is this: Bruce is alive but has a new life now, and Robin will protect Gotham from now on.

Spot on!
    Except it'll be as Batman
  • Except it'll be as Batman

or will it?
    Yeah. Remember in Batman Begins Bruce said 'as a symbol he could be everlasting '
    I think the ending we saw was a studio ending to leave it open for a return for either Batman played by the Robin character or for the batman character to be seen in some other future film franchise like the Man of Steel 2 or the gay superman movie Ring of Steel.

I think Nolan's Batman is dead in both film and reality. Now that's a real Nolan ending....or is it?

Studio ending? It was reported that the studio hated this ending.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 268

or will it?

Well he already was Robin in the film, so the edning shows him being risen up/promoted to become the dark knight. whatever "a dark knight" may be.
    obin_gam wrote:
    Sometimes ambiguity is better than finality. And sometimes finality is better than ambiguity.

This film is a perfect example of the latter.

How so? The entire trilogy has been leading up to the ultimate finality, the conclusion. Nolan did not make an ambiguous ending at all, and I feel myself becoming thicker in the head just mulling over the notion.

Sorry, but I think you read my sentance wrong. What I meant was that this ending is final. It is not ambiguously the slightest. So, we agree :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    obin_gam wrote:
    obin_gam wrote:
    Sometimes ambiguity is better than finality. And sometimes finality is better than ambiguity.

How so? The entire trilogy has been leading up to the ultimate finality, the conclusion. Nolan did not make an ambiguous ending at all, and I feel myself becoming thicker in the head just mulling over the notion.

Sorry, confused "former" and "latter" in that sentence. What I meant was that this ending is final. It is not ambiguously the slightest. So, we agree :)

I agree. Batman is alive at the end. How else to explain the ponderous and obvious "autopilot" references in the film?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    obin_gam wrote:
    obin_gam wrote:

Sorry, but I think you read my sentance wrong. What I meant was that this ending is final. It is not ambiguously the slightest. So, we agree :)

Ah, my apologies. I only paid attention to your last sentence and the latter "ambiguous".
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    obin_gam wrote:

or will it?

Well he already was Robin in the film, so the edning shows him being risen up/promoted to become the dark knight. whatever "a dark knight" may be.

Robin was his birth name- it was just a wink to the audience. It's just his name.

<center>This is Robin

blake.jpg

in the same sense that this is Robin

Robin-Williams.jpg</center>

And Bruce led him to the Batcave-- what could be in there besides more Bat-Suits? Remember in Batman Begins 'at least we'll have spares' :))

*Also, just remembered: in the ending montage we see Gordon go to the rooftop and he finds that the Batsignal had been mysteriously repaired.
    I know anger is not the right way to deal with things, but that was THE worst German syncronization ever in a Hollywood blockbuster. I´m so angry I want to sue the release company for giving Bane the dumbest voice in the universe. Any time I watched the English trailers I thought, wow, Bane´s got this great electric voice, and in German he sounds like Darth Vader low on batteries. I know I know, why on earth did I go see the German version in the first place, but the English versions I couldn´t make today, and usually Germany is the authority for dubbing pictures.
    I´ll go the Endlish version tomorrow, maybe I´ll manage to forget this horrible nightmare.
    obin_gam wrote:

or will it?

Robin was his birth name- it was just a wink to the audience. It's just his name.

<center>This is Robin

th?id=I4506293240136522&pid=1.5

And Bruce led him to the Batcave-- what could be in there besides more Bat-Suits? Remember in Batman Begins 'at least we'll have spares' :))

*Also, just remembered: in the ending montage we Gordon go to the rooftop and he finds that the Batsignal had been mysteriously repaired.

Thank you!!

And WB have confirmed a REBOOT in 2015, not a continuation.

• i hope it's like this

I know all the evidence points to him being Batman, the whole symbol idea, etc. But I just like to think he'll be Robin, I don't want anybody other than Bruce to be Batman, and him being Robin would make sense.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    It's simple, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Robin Police Guy' becomes the new batman, and goes on to be in the Justice League, as Batman. The studio is still setting itself up for a
    're-boot' but letting Nolan do it for them.

At least its a very plausible route for them to take. That way they can bring in a new guy, to have his own take, with this new Batman character, but the two Batmans (Bale's and Levitt's) are still linked in the reality of Gotham.

Now breath out. And back in.
  • RC7RC7
    The reason I think most people discount this as a nod is that Robin isn't called 'Robin'. I tend to agree with this train of thought. A good nod, but a nod.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,490
    Saw it for a second time while at the beach and loved it even more, being able to focus on tiny details and catch things/listen to certain dialogue that I missed the first time. I think with any film that you really enjoy seeing in theaters, it's always best to give it a second watch.

Truly a masterpiece.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    It's simple, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Robin Police Guy' becomes the new batman, and goes on to be in the Justice League, as Batman. The studio is still setting itself up for a
    're-boot' but letting Nolan do it for them.

At least its a very plausible route for them to take. That way they can bring in a new guy, to have his own take, with this new Batman character, but the two Batmans (Bale's and Levitt's) are still linked in the reality of Gotham.

Now breath out. And back in.

I'm wondering if they'll use Levitt or just start again. I prefer having Bruce Wayne as Batman, but I don't really want another reboot/origin story, so maybe I'd rather have Levitt be Batman. But then that ruins the Robin ending I like to believe.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,984
    I think Nolan missed his opportunity in the final third to conclude a truly epic saga. He should have killed off Bale. Gordon-Levitt's arc was more than capable of giving the movie a happy-ish ending.

Or barring that, he could have killed off one of the major good guys: Oldman or Hathaway or Freeman or Caine. When the "highest-ranking" good guy to get killed is Modine, you have a serious imbalance in the movie's stakes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,490
    Although random, it was nice seeing the original SF teaser trailer attached to my second viewing of TDKR.
    obin_gam wrote:

or will it?

<center>This is Robin

th?id=I4506293240136522&pid=1.5

I disagree. It wasnt just a wink thet his name was Robin. He was the Robin character during the entire movie, he just wasnt called it. He helped Batman, he had a hopeful and positive demenor, ha became Batmans protege of sorts. = what Robin in the comics are. Blake is Nolans version of Robin. I dont get how this isnt clear to everyone.
    obin_gam wrote:
    I disagree. It wasnt just a wink thet his name was Robin. He was the Robin character during the entire movie, he just wasnt called it. He helped Batman, he had a hopeful and positive demenor, ha became Batmans protege of sorts. = what Robin in the comics are. Blake is Nolans version of Robin. I dont get how this isnt clear to everyone.

I agree with this. In a way, Nolan ingeniously solved the debate of "Batman should have a sidekick/Batman shouldn't have a sidekick," by giving him a sidekick throughout the movie but not revealing it until the very end. Two lone wolves or a hero and his sidekick...it's really up to your interpretation.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong2.jpg

;)

I will argue that perhaps one of the best things about Nolan's trilogy is that it does indeed leave a couple things up to your own imagination. So really we can all be right!

Personally I'm of the belief that Bruce Wayne has hung up the cowl and set John Blake as his successor. To the public, nobody would even consider that this Batman running around is any one different than the one that's always been around (reminds me of the Dread-Pirate Roberts).
    Blake wouldn't be 'Robin' if Batman is out of the picture, you know what I mean? That's why I firmly believe that Blake is the next Batman.
    Batman movies in the past have always left it open for there to be a sequel, but with Nolan's Trilogy, we have seen a complete beginning, middle, and end

However
    If a Justice League movie ever comes about it will no doubt be Bruce Wayne (or Batman reboot, whichever comes first)
    I'd be interested in seeing a 'Blake-Batman' comic book though!

The notions that (1) there is a Batman and Robin (e.g. the boys' home scenes between them) in TDKR and (2) Robin/Blake might rise to become the new Batman in the future are not mutually exclusive.

Nolan very possibly had his cake and ate it too when it comes to the classic Robin character.