The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

DArtagnan wrote:
    DArtagnan wrote:
    Is anyone considering the possibility of Alfred just imagining/wishing/dreaming that last scene?

After all, this is from the director of Inception, and there is a dream sequence with Ra's earlier in the film.
    Bounine wrote:
    It's a possibility I guess but not really. Infact, I wanted the assurance that Wayne was still alive.

Yes, I wanted that for him too. He deserved to survive and live a happy life.

But we did see him still in the Bat moments before it exploded. And you need to be pretty far from that explosion to survive it.

Of course, I could find many arguments for him surviving as well. In the end, it's what you make of it. Like Inception.

Bounine wrote:
    Why Robin when his name in the film is John Blake? I'm confused over this.

Might there be a continuation with another director with Blake playing Robin or was this just a way for Nolan to introduce the character of Robin in a subtle way that will never evolve?
    He's not becoming Robin. He'll be the new Batman. The name Robin is just a wink from Team Nolan.
    We got a shot of him in the Bat, but then the shot with 5 seconds counting down wasn't necessarily the time at that moment, but clever editing. At any juncture, this is Batman, not Inception. Ever since Begins Nolan had that scene as the ending. It is real, no dream. His main goal was to bring absolute closure, and anyone saying it is a dream is over-examining the film and is missing the meaning of the scene.

This is comic book. Whos to say that Batman hadn't switched to the other Bat which Fox and the technician were talking about fixing the autopilot on at the end and he was controling the one with the Bonb remotely?
    Here are my thoughts:
    So, first up, I really enjoyed TDKR and the last 30 minutes were just about as perfect a rollercoaster that I’ve seen in the Cinema (and I knew what was going to happen).
    Second, I’ve only seen it once so far so things may be a little sketchy.
    I’m more of a Bond fan than Batman, but TDK in 2008 was easily my most memorable non Bond Cinema experience after Raiders of the Lost Ark and Empire Strikes Back.

TDKR did however have more holes in it than a sieve.
    • When SK broke in and it was obvious that they had taken BW fingerprints, why didn’t they ask one of the 500 policemen downstairs to come and look, just so they could prove it later in the film that they had been stolen.
    • That’s one long chase in the Wall Street scene starting in the daylight and then all of a sudden it’s the middle of the night.
    • When BW finds out he’s been bankrupted Fox (I think) tells him that it would take a little while to prove that they had stolen his fingerprints before they could put things right, yet at the end they are closing down Wayne enterprise and settling affairs, even though they have just proven in the film that a load of dodgy crap had happened. Surely that would have warranted investigation.
    • Who gets made bankrupt and has his car taken and Electricity turned off so quick? Surely BW didn’t lease a car with all that money and if they claimed it back and it was his own, how come he keeps the house.
    • You can’t tell me that after looking after BW virtually all of his life that they would part over a bloody letter from someone who’s been dead 8 years.
    • Who recovers from a broken back and climbs out of a well so quickly. Great advert for prison national health 
    • How does someone who has no money anymore, climb out of prison with a couple of days till the bomb explodes (with no passport either) and then get back just in time. Gotham air miles must be a valuable thing.
    • How do you park a great big plane on the top of a building in a city out of control and then nobody actually goes onto the roof even though they ransack every building.
    • The batpod is definitely the coolest vehicle in the whole trilogy. In TDK and TDKR it brought the film to a sudden stop in the middle of action (TDK when it went up the wall and turned and TDKR when SK kills Bane) when it stopped and that was superb.
    • How did they explain the Bruce Wayne and Batman dying at the same time? Did they go out and admit to everyone else that BW was Batman.
    • Was it not obvious to people when Alfred told the Florence story at the beginning what the end would be?
    • Why did they have to ruin the whole Joseph Gordon-Levitt thing by calling him Robin. BW had already passed the mantle on to the younger man and this worked really well, but just about everyone groaned when I saw it when he was called Robin.
    • The acting in general for this film by everyone was absolutely superb.
    • Nolan needs to direct a Bond film.
    And I still thought it was a 5 Star film 

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    edited July 2012 Posts: 370
    Responding to four of your points:

>You can’t tell me that after looking after BW virtually all of his life that they would part over a bloody letter from someone who’s been dead 8 years.

Alfred was leaving over Bruce's insistance on being Batman.

>Who recovers from a broken back and climbs out of a well so quickly. Great advert for prison national health 

I don't think his back was really broken, just messed up. I think.

>How did they explain the Bruce Wayne and Batman dying at the same time? Did they go out and admit to everyone else that BW was Batman.

I assume lots of folk lost their lives in Gotham while it was under Bane's rule. Gordon could make something up.

>Was it not obvious to people when Alfred told the Florence story at the beginning what the end would be?

Well, it was not obvious to me!

You make good points about the helicopter on the roof, etc.
    Chevron wrote:
    >How did they explain the Bruce Wayne and Batman dying at the same time? Did they go out and admit to everyone else that BW was Batman.

I assume lots of folk lost their lives in Gotham while it was under Bane's rule. Gordon could make something up.

Don't forget Joseph Gordon Levitt. Plus Bruce Wayne could come back one day- I know there are no more Nolan movies, but that's the beauty of it: we can use our imaginations as to what happens next!
    Remember that thread I started about 'what happened to Pierce Brosnan's Bond after DAD'? Like that.
    Anyone who's read Batman comics knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman for a long time.

I thought that was such a cool ending to Nolan's trilogy though

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    To the questions of how did Bruce become able to be considered dead in Gotham, he was reported dead, a victim of Bane's tyranny.
    This was bugging me since I saw the film last night, but I think I finally figured out who Bane sounded like:

<center>6a00d8341cd11553ef01157129c94a970b-500wi

+

goldmember-mobile-wallpaper.jpg</center>

8-}
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Tom based the voice of Bane on the famous gyspy boxer Bartley Gorman.
    i went to see the IMAX bond exculsive and the audiance cheered at the end! the bond preview was AWSOME!

TDKR was a average movie at best, with lots of plot holes. the ending was telegraphed at the begining ... it was a silly movie! what a dissapointment! NO to Nolan for Bond!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    The ending of Dark Knight Rises:
    TTiBl.gif

I mean technically 8-}
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    TTiBl.gif

I mean technically 8-}

Oh. My. God. You're right. Nolan did a homage to Adam West!

TTiBl.gif

I mean technically 8-}

That's so true!!!!!
    Not that I had any doubts going in, but you know the first moment when I realized this was going to be a GREAT Batman movie?

The very first scene at Wayne Manor when the guys are discussing how 'Bruce Wayne hasn't been seen for years' and then it cut to a balcony near the roof, where we see the silhouette of Wayne watching everyone in the shadows (wish I could find a screencap but I'm sure you know the part I mean)

The last time I saw Bruce Wayne out of costume and still thought 'oh my god, now that is Batman' was right here:

bruce-wayne-and-the-bat-signal.jpg

IMO that captured the tone of Bats perfectly and the movie never stopped! TDKR was Outstanding!
    I loved that scene! And then when Selina brings the food into the silent room, leaves, and we just see a man holding a cane approach. Very spooky.
    I loved that scene! And then when Selina brings the food into the silent room, leaves, and we just see a man holding a cane approach. Very spooky.
    WillyWonkacane.jpg

:P

WillyWonkacane.jpg

:P

Don't joke! Wonka was very odd in that film and the Oompa Loompas still give me nightmares! X_X
    dchantry wrote:
    • How does someone who has no money anymore, climb out of prison with a couple of days till the bomb explodes (with no passport either) and then get back just in time. Gotham air miles must be a valuable thing.

My theory?
    I think when he threw the rope down for everyone, they thought he was helping them out, but he really forced them to carry him

bale.jpg
    dchantry wrote:

My theory?
    I think when he threw the rope down for everyone, they thought he was helping them out, but he really forced them to carry him

bale.jpg
    That bugs me too, but I have the feeling that there is a deleted scene explaining it. There just seems to be a missing link there, where we seen Bruce suddenly back in Gotham. As the film was already almost 3 hours I can see why a scene might have gotten cut to get to the heat of the plot, but nonetheless it is all rather foggy. I have a feeling we will have many deleted scenes on the release of the film to Blu-ray and DVD.

The could have solved it simply by not showing a 'desert'. If it had just been any old underground place (similar to where the Gotham City police were) then it would have been easier to just assume that Bruce wasn't *that* far away.

Plus it would have probably made Bruce more angry and desperate to get out- a 'so close yet so far' type of thing

*Edit* But then, the whole point is it was supposed to be the same place Bane was years ago, so my idea doesn't solve everything after all... :-??
  • I felt they should've dove into Bruce's eccentricities after all that time, he should have been more of a Howard Hughes-type, so he would be more reluctant to become Batman again after 8 YEARS. Why would he just suddenly be like "guess I'm goin' out tonight, Alf. Brb."
    I felt they should've dove into Bruce's eccentricities after all that time, he should have been more of a Howard Hughes-type, so he would be more reluctant to become Batman again after 8 YEARS. Why would he just suddenly be like "guess I'm goin' out tonight, Alf. Brb."
    Selina had his mother's pearls, the only material object he has left of her.
    wtfbatman.jpg
    I haven't seen the film yet because of all the mass attention about the shooting here in America, not sure about anywhere else, but hes on just about every news channel 24/7.

Way to spoil the movie for thousands and making people feel unsafe in a movie theater.... Horrible.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Virage wrote:
    TTiBl.gif

I mean technically 8-}

That's so true!!!!!

I thought I was the only one who thought of the 60s film when Batman was flying off with the bomb. The moment the bomb blew up, the line "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" came to mind. I then thought of Batman sparing those baby ducks.

Excellent photo jolearon.
    seeing the film again tomorrow night can't wait
    Kerim wrote:
    My only complaint is that they relied on Batman Begins for the storyline too much.

I was thinking about this, it's much more of a sequel to Begins than TDK was.
    Kerim wrote:
    My only complaint is that they relied on Batman Begins for the storyline too much.

That's not really a complaint. A proper sequel is one that draws from the previous films and builds on them, which TDKR does extremely well with both BB and TDK.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Kerim wrote:

That's not really a complaint. A proper sequel is one that draws from the previous films and builds on them, which TDKR does extremely well with both BB and TDK.

I wasn't saying it was a complaint, I was just saying it references Begins more than TDK did.
    Kerim wrote:

I wasn't saying it was a complaint, I was just saying it references Begins more than TDK did

But both films are equally important. BB because you have the motivation for Talia to finish her father's work, and there is also the familiarity to draw on with the League of Shadows. And for TDK the events at the last 3rd of the film set up everything that Gotham is at the start of TDKR. Without Batman taking the fall Gotham would be crime filled still, with all the criminals back on the streets when Harvey's crimes came to light. Though BB is mentioned more because of the League of Shadows and the continuation of Ra's plot seen finished by Talia, TDK is also a decent part of the events in TDKR.
    I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean the film talked about BB more than it talked about TDK. I meant it talked about BB more than TDK talked about BB.
    I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean the film talked about BB more than it talked about TDK. I meant it talked about BB more than TDK talked about BB.

Tad confusing, but I get you. The trilogy sticks to the rules. The first film sets the stage, the second film does something completely new, and then the third and final film draws from the past and finishes everything off. Nolan checked all the boxes.