The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• Honestly, I'm very disapointed by the film. The previous installment was really a masterpiece, and this film was good, it could have been WAY better. It had many unnessesary scenes and bland performances from Marion Cotillard and Morgan Freeman. It lacked the dark edge that BB and TDK had and the impressive visual tone. A lot of this movie didn't make too much sense and had many awkward jumps in the plot.
    I loved the final ten minutes, apart from the cliche going out to sea to get rid of the bomb. Tom Hardy is completely wasted, is a fantastic physical presence, but waste a great backstory on the character. Decent movie, felt like the most comic booky in the series and I pretty much think I had more closure after watching TDK with a great ending than a extremely rushed sequence.
    Also, where did Alfred go for half the movie? Caine gave his best performance as the character PSBTW.
    Overall, while better than The Avengers, doesn't match up even to BB. Decent movie, not a Nolan hater, just being honest. I LOVED the other two films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Excellent film. I was upset about a few things, mainly the death of Bane - I hoped that Batman would either stop him or change his pact to kill him - and instead, Catwoman blows him away and that's that. He isn't mentioned or seen again. It just felt set up that Batman would train to stop him and save Gotham, and he accomplishes only half of it. I wasn't too crazy about JGL becoming Robin, either.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Excellent film. I was upset about a few things, mainly the death of Bane - I hoped that Batman would either stop him or change his pact to kill him - and instead, Catwoman blows him away and that's that. He isn't mentioned or seen again. It just felt set up that Batman would train to stop him and save Gotham, and he accomplishes only half of it. I wasn't too crazy about JGL becoming Robin, either.

Batman would never do that though, and I thought it was handled brilliantly. And Blake isn't becoming Robin. His first name is Robin, wink wink, but likely he will be the new Batman if he chooses to continue what Bruce began.
    Ahh, okay, I thought they were hinting at him becoming Robin, hence him finding the stuff at the end. Well that's good.

I didn't expect him to kill Bane, I just thought it would be handled better. It just came quick, felt very anticlimactic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ahh, okay, I thought they were hinting at him becoming Robin, hence him finding the stuff at the end. Well that's good.

I didn't expect him to kill Bane, I just thought it would be handled better. It just came quick, felt very anticlimactic.
    The lead up where Batman is helpless to do anything is intense, and then finally when Selina comes and saves him I thought it was all handled well. Bane had to die, as did Talia. And the fight leading up to that with Batman going toe to toe with Bane amongst the war was brilliant.
    Batman and Bane meeting in the middle of the brawl between the prisoners and the cops was - and I hate this word so much, and rarely use it, but - epic. It was just incredible. And I love when it looks like Batman finally has Bane where he wants him, and Talia just jumps him with the knife and takes him by surprise. I will admit, a lot of the surprises and twists in the film were guessed months ago, sadly.
    I always thought Margaret Tate was Talia. Ever since all the casting information was released I could pin point everyone's role but hers. Considering that Ra's and his backstory would play a large role I immediately though of her, especially with her links to Bane in the comics. As soon as she and Bruce slept together and we see that scar I knew it for sure.
    What do you think about the ambiguity of Bane: did he die or not?

Also, I was questioning if that really is Bruce and Selina at the end that Alfred sees, and isn't just a dream of his. This thought seems all too familiar.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    What do you think about the ambiguity of Bane: did he die or not?

Also, I was questioning if that really is Bruce and Selina at the end that Alfred sees, and isn't just a dream of his. This thought seems all too familiar.
    Bane definitely died. He got blasted by the same gunfire that had the power to take down tumblers. And I do think the ending was real. Nolan said he had that in his mind ever since the beginning and he wanted that to be the closing scene to the trilogy. He would leave it on a positive note, on a hopeful note. Blake will be there to take his place if need be, and Bruce finally gets to live the life Alfred had so wanted for him.
    I just read that after doing TDK, Nolan wasn't sure if he wanted to do another film, so I guess he didn't originally plan it as a trilogy, until he made this decision while filming 'Inception.'
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 624
    I just saw The Dark Knight Rises and I do not know how to describe the film other than:

A Masterpiece.

The entire trilogy: a masterpiece.
  • Back-Breaking Scene. Man oh man.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just read that after doing TDK, Nolan wasn't sure if he wanted to do another film, so I guess he didn't originally plan it as a trilogy, until he made this decision while filming 'Inception.'

I heard in a statement he knew BB would have a sequel, as TDK would have to.
    Back-Breaking Scene. Man oh man.
    Spot. On.
    Bane_breaks_Batman.png
    What did you all think of Anne? I thought she was fantastic. Sexy, smart, and kickass.
    @Brady
    Best Catwoman yet.

I hope they leave it at 3 films. Don't ruin the happy ending. Everything has closure at the end of TDKR. Don't mess with perfection.

By this I mean:
    -Batman is dead.
    -Everyone thinks Bruce Wayne is dead, only Alfred knows he's not.
    -Therefore, Alfred finally sees Bruce get his clean slate by starting a family with Selina.
    -Finally, I will hear the end of everyone complaining Robin isn't in the series. He is, now shut up. Actually, Blake is more like Robin and Azrael combined.
    @Brady
    Best Catwoman yet.

I hope they leave it at 3 films. Don't ruin the happy ending. Everything has closure at the end of TDKR. Don't mess with perfection.

By this I mean:
    -Batman is dead.
    -Everyone thinks Bruce Wayne is dead, only Alfred knows he's not.
    -Therefore, Alfred finally sees Bruce get his clean slate by starting a family with Selina.
    -Finally, I will hear the end of everyone complaining Robin isn't in the series. He is, now shut up. Actually, Blake is more like Robin and Azrael combined.

Blake would just be Batman. That was Nolan's way of poking fun by having his real name be Robin. And not just Alfred knew. Lucius also knows, as does Selina, obviously. I wish Gordon knew that he was alive though. I love the way Batman told him who he was, and that flashback to him putting the coat of Thomas over Bruce was touching.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I think Gordon did know. He looks at the light at the end of the film, and sees that its fixed with a new Bat logo over it, and he smiles. I was led to believe that he realized Wayne/Batman did it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I think Gordon did know. He looks at the light at the end of the film, and sees that its fixed with a new Bat logo over it, and he smiles. I was led to believe that he realized Wayne/Batman did it.
    Wait, can you describe the scene? That was one I guess I didn't register in my head.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    How did that not register in my head?

Can someone explain to me how Blake got into the Batcave?

I'm pretty sure it's at the very end, when it's going through everyone and how they're coping after the events that transpired. You see Gordon on the roof of the police department, and when he looks at the Bat light they use to summon Batman throughout the trilogy - the same one you see shattered earlier in the movie - it's been fixed, and a new Bat symbol is attached to it, and he smiles.

In terms of Blake, I think him knowing so much already that it wasn't hard for him to put two and two together and find the Batcave.

• Can someone explain to me how Blake got into the Batcave?

Latitude/Longitude Coordinates.
    I think Nolan left two options for another film:

1.) Wayne is alive. He goes back to the batcave and discovers Blake there. Batman and Robin is TDK4.
    2.) Bruce Wayne is dropped altogether and Blake truly is Batman now.
    I think Nolan left two options for another film:

1.) Wayne is alive. He goes back to the batcave and discovers Blake there. Batman and Robin is TDK4.

Nolan won't be returning, so we will receive a reboot. Bale expressed interest in returning, only if Nolan returned, but since he hasn't, Bale won't, either.
  • I think Nolan left two options for another film:

3.) The storyline becomes Batman Beyond.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I think I remember that Gordon scene. Don't know why I can't remember that. Anyway, Bruce gave Blake GPS coordinates to the cave.
    @creasy

A reboot is going to have some pretty big shoes to fill. I say leave this trilogy alone, then maybe make a reboot in 10-20 years.
    They will never make a better set of Batman films ever again. It isn't possible, and seeing TDKR last night confirmed that. Not many trilogies can keep on growing ambition in scope and depth and still be just as good as the previous installments. I hear Oscar calling.
    They will never make a better set of Batman films ever again. It isn't possible, and seeing TDKR last night confirmed that. Not many trilogies can keep on growing ambition in scope and depth and still be just as good as the previous installments. I hear Oscar calling.

I couldn't agree more. As sad as it is, that isn't how Hollywood works: they know the films make lots and lots of money, so they'll hop on another reboot bandwagon in a few short years.

It's just upsetting to have followed Nolan's trilogy for years and years, just to know that it's slightly irrelevant when a new one comes out, because we have seen Wayne fight for Gotham so long, and finally, he is happy. Now, a new Wayne will probably step in and take over.
    ...if Heath Ledger got an Oscar for Joker, Tom Hardy definitely deserves one for Bane. Bane eats the Joker for breakfast. Batman slapped Joker around like a ragdoll. He couldn't even touch Bane. Batman was no match for Bane. When Bane broke Batman's back, I thought it was over. Not once, in TDK, did I think Joker was going to kill Batman. In Rises, every scene had me thinking it was the end.