"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

Bring back the Daltonator while you're at it! Even CGI Dalton would kick ass!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby.

However they do it, just bring him back then!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Can we CGI Bernard Lee too?
    *Jack Sparrow voice*
    CGI all around!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Getafix wrote: »
    Q should only ever be played by a middle aged to elderly gentleman called Desmond.

I pretty much agree with this. There will only ever be one Q. But honestly I just don't particularly care for Wishaw in the role. I don't think I'd accept anyone young really. And I probably wouldn't accept anyone older easily either for that matter (but I think the odds would be better).

I'm honestly really really excited to see what Fiennes can do. Perfect casting I think personally.

There is just something inherently annoying about the Wishaw character, but Llelwelyn did play Q a bit more like that at the start. Actually Llewelyn's early films have the charActer totally humourless. May be Wishaw will grow on us as he becomes more familiar and the relationships bed down.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't know, but Wishaw should have borrowed different characteristics for his Q character. Someone who has seen the battlefield and been into war, previously. Major Boothroyd has been. That's why he was the Quartermaster. If they wanted a computer hacker, that should be part of the security and operations division, not the Q-Branch.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote: »
    Just CGI Desmond onto whoever plays Q.

Genius. Do the same with Lois Maxwell.

I'm assuming that's the only use of CG in Bond that's ok with you? ;)

That's kind of like what they did with Oliver Reed in Gladiator.
    I don't know, but Wishaw should have borrowed different characteristics for his Q character. Someone who has seen the battlefield and been into war, previously. Major Boothroyd has been. That's why he was the Quartermaster. If they wanted a computer hacker, that should be part of the security and operations division, not the Q-Branch.

Yes it would have made sense for him to be an Iraq or Afghanistan war veteran. Bit like the new Watson in Sherlock. I don't like Qs reinvention with an emphasis on tech. I want him to be a little bit of a mechanical engineer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I liked Whishaw's techy, arrogant, geeky Q. More contemporary. Everything's electronic these days (& with dweeby geeks like Zuckerberg running Facebook as the new 'cool' etc.) so it's a little more believable than the great Desmond (who was perfect for his era). They had to be careful not to seem like they were copying Batman's Lucius Fox either (which may have been the case if they cast someone older with a mechanical background - one wouldn't want to be compared to the incomparable Morgan Freeman... & it would have opened up more criticisms that SF was apeing Nolan). Whishaw played well off Craig so it worked (I particularly liked the museum intro scene) for me.

I have to admit there is a '24' CTU Chloe aspect to it though which is more troubling. I hope we don't see Q oversaturating B24 with techy electronic assistance to Bond at critical moments in the field (a'la CTU). That would be an unfortunate development indeed, but one which I fear we're in for.

RE: DAD: After truly agonizing about one good thing to say about that film, in the spirit of this thread, I realize it can only be the excellent Rosamund Pike. Completely 'put her back into it' & I'm glad she's getting her just rewards (she was great in Jack Reacher & Fracture, as well as the current Gone Girl).
  • bondjames wrote: »
    They had to be careful not to seem like they were copying Batman's Lucius Fox either (which may have been the case if they cast someone older with a mechanical background - one wouldn't want to be compared to the incomparable Morgan Freeman....

Judging from how heavy-handed and shameless they copied almost everything in Skyfall from TDK (and others) I really doubt this argument holds much water.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    They had to be careful not to seem like they were copying Batman's Lucius Fox either (which may have been the case if they cast someone older with a mechanical background - one wouldn't want to be compared to the incomparable Morgan Freeman....

Judging from how heavy-handed and shameless they copied almost everything in Skyfall from TDK (and others) I really doubt this argument holds much water.

No doubt TDK ripped off Bond in many ways (it was subtle). & SF ripped TDK no doubt. Which is why I'm glad Mendes went his own route with Q and reinvented him. Maybe because Cleese did not work out so well.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

No doubt TDK ripped off Bond in many ways (it was subtle). & SF ripped TDK no doubt. Which is why I'm glad Mendes went his own route with Q and reinvented him. Maybe because Cleese did not work out so well.

Well, the Cleese experiment was disastrous. I guess this is something we all can agree on. Oh, for the record the Q Bond dialogue in the gallery was one of the very few ( and original) scenes I enjoyed in SF,so I actually don't mind a youngster in that role.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Hopefully the films will be going strong for another 50 years ( and longer)
    So we might have many different Q,M,Moneypenny. Young, old, Female,
    Black, white etc. In my opinion it all adds to the evolution of the films.
    The world is changing, the films must reflect that. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Harold-Finch-1x12-Legacy-harold-finch-30432619-1000-666.jpg

This guy.. My mom is a big fan of the show (Person of Interest). She doesn't know a lot about computers but she really thinks it's awesome when this 55 years old guy talks techno mumbo-jumbo. Probably a Desmond like guy is no longer possible as Q, but I think an older Q could still work if he was more serious.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Hopefully the films will be going strong for another 50 years ( and longer)
    So we might have many different Q,M,Moneypenny. Young, old, Female,
    Black, white etc. In my opinion it all adds to the evolution of the films.
    The world is changing, the films must reflect that. :)

Totally agree with all this.
    My only problem with DAD is the Iceland sequence. I thought it dumbed down what I believe was otherwise a decent film.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    DAD goes to hell in a handbasket as the "Vanish" is introduced. Up until then it was rather good. (Though I do like Brozz's line "Maybe you've been down here too long?"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am still gabberflasted by the bravery of this thread title.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    I want to kill Lee Tamahory each time i have to see the "ice tsunami" surfing scene.
    The invisible Aston Martin was very difficult to cope with, and the poor lines given to Jinx and MrKill characters also annoyed me a lot, but nothing compared to this scene.
    Probably the WORST in all the JB Movies franchise history.
    The first half of the film is 5 stars Bond but the second half is really poor.
    I want to kill Lee Tamahory each time i have to see the "ice tsunami" surfing scene.
    I find the scene works rather well if you visit the bathroom just as it's beginning & come back just as it's over.
    I find the scene works rather well if you visit the bathroom just as it's beginning & come back just as it's over.

eh eh! Nice tip! Advice accepted!

And in that bathroom you find Tamahori and try to drown him in the sink.

And in that bathroom you find Tamahori and try to drown him in the sink.

Will i recognize him dressed with skirts and long hair wig....? ;) :D
    Frightening view!!
    Check the eyebrows. And snap his neck just to make sure. No mystery.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I still find it better than The Man With The Golden Gun. Jinx is dumb but not as insipid or stupid as Goodnight.
    Mary Goodnight was the most fun Bond girl ever.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    MayDay was the most fun Bond girl ever.

Fixed. ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Murdock wrote: »
    MayDay was the most fun Bond girl ever.

Fixed. ;)

I concur!