"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That dialogue with Bond and Jinx is the stuff of nightmares and the only time I have felt physically sick when watching a film

"We can't make Napoleon Plural talk; he's an A.U.N.T.I.E. agent!"
    "I'll hold his head, you put Die Another Day in the player- he'll talk all right...!"
    I heard they show DAD to the inmates at Guantanamo Bay. By the time the PTS has finished they're usually begging for another water boarding.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote:
    I heard they show DAD to the inmates at Guantanamo Bay. By the time the PTS has finished they're usually begging for another water boarding.

To be fair. Die Another Day has a pretty good Pre Title Sequence.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Now, the CGI parasailing scene on loop is a different story...

Creasy47 wrote:
    the CGI parasailing scene on loop is a different story...
    The VR Moneypenny scene has most victims screaming. It's been nicknamed "The Dry Waterboard." Most effective.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Now, the CGI parasailing scene on loop is a different story...

The only good thing I can say about that scene is it had a really great version of the Bond theme playing... Skip to 3:55

Oh, I still enjoy the movie, but that VR scene was just too far. It made the Vanish seem perfectly okay.
  • #4 on my list
    #4 on my list
    Of movies you hate? Or like?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh, I still enjoy the movie, but that VR scene was just too far. It made the Vanish seem perfectly okay.

You still mean the VR MP scene, right? If so, agreed. Totally killed the relationship between the two with that scene, and it still pisses me off. I thought the VR fight that Bond has when he's 're-hired' was cool, albeit heavily scripted.
    @Creasy47 yes to both. :)>-
    I don't know why, but the shot of Bond ejecting the magazine and slapping another one in without looking at the P99 at all was excellent, just shows how calculating and talented the man is.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like the car more than the VR thing. The car, at least, seems to be coming closer to reality than most of us realise. But the VR stuff is bogus. Even if it were possible in a practical sense, what's the point? Your agent is supposed to come back after over a year of brutal torture and imprisonment. Don't you think you need to get him in the field, run an obstacle course, perform shooting practice (like what we see in SF) but with real bullets? In a VR world, anything goes. You know it's not real so you can let your guard down. You can take more risks, unhindered by an actual sense of fear. That's ridiculous. The scene itself is pretty cool, I must admit. So had they taken M and Robinson out of it, and not told me about the VR goggles, I might have given DAD points for this scene, rather than take points away. This stuff belongs in a video game.
    I always thought the VR scene was a homage to the TWINE N64 game where a similar situation happens with terrorists invading MI6 and even holding up M at one point.
    Murdock wrote:
    I always thought the VR scene was a homage to the TWINE N64 game where a similar situation happens with terrorists invading MI6 and even holding up M at one point.

I loved that mission, but (and I don't think you're implying this) that wasn't a VR scene, it really happened. It's just Cigar Girl attacking the place, only more men are involved to give it a proper shooting mission. I loved blasting the guys coming down the sides and watching them fall past the windows before they broke in.
    @Creasy47, No I wasn't implying the level was a VR mission. I just meant that DAD's VR sequence was very similar to it. :P
    I remember that level:

Murdock wrote:
    @Creasy47, No I wasn't implying the level was a VR mission. I just meant that DAD's VR sequence was very similar to it. :P

Ohh, okay, apologies, and indeed it was! The whole mission is an extended version of the scene in TWINE, with the gunfight goodness of the VR scene in DAD. It's great.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    When your film, either intentionally or unintentionally, remind you of computer games, you have done something seriously wrong...
    Murdock wrote:

An homage to a videogame? It makes DAD even worse than I always considered it to be.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

An homage to a videogame? It makes DAD even worse than I always considered it to be.

I wouldn't consider TWINE for the N64 bad. In fact it was rather fun. Not as good as GoldenEye 64 or Nightfire for that, but a fun game none the less.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

That's not the first time Bonds played a video game in his history though if you also include NSNA.
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I wouldn't consider TWINE for the N64 bad. In fact it was rather fun. Not as good as GoldenEye 64 or Nightfire for that, but a fun game none the less.

I don't care. You don't make homage to videogame in a Bond movie, period.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

That's not the first time Bonds played a video game in his history though if you also include NSNA.

And it was ridiculous in NSNA.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was the worst thing about NSNA. Besides Nigel Small-Fawcett.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I don't care. You don't make homage to videogame in a Bond movie, period.

Could be worse...they could have payed homage to CR 67... :-S
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It was the worst thing about NSNA. Besides Nigel Small-Fawcett.

Rowan Atkinson would play the same character with a different name 2 decades later in Johnny English.

Regarding the VR sequence, I'm not sure about the TWINE link but I do remember Lee Tamahori saying in the audio commentary that he wanted it to have a video game feel (the camera only focusing on the upper body, Brosnan's quick movements, the way he reloads the gun quickly etc).
    I love the VR goggles scenes.Especially when Moneypenny uses them at the end,One of the funniest scenes of any Bond movie!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I love the VR goggles scenes.Especially when Moneypenny uses them at the end,One of the funniest scenes of any Bond movie!

The first bit when Bond walks in is amusing but the exchange:

"Its rather hard isn't it?"
    "Yes...very"

is pretty awful.

We get it. THE JOKE IS ABOUT BOND'S PENIS!!
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I absolutely loath that scene. I skip it.