"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

How about not playing computer games...how about picking up a Fleming novel?

:P
    chrisisall wrote:
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I love the VR goggles scenes.Especially when Moneypenny uses them at the end,One of the funniest scenes of any Bond movie!
    I absolutely loath that scene. I skip it.

It is the icing on top of a very shit cake.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I love the VR goggles scenes.Especially when Moneypenny uses them at the end,One of the funniest scenes of any Bond movie!

Wow! :-O

I thought it was the worst thing we've ever seen MP in. It's an insult to me, as a Bond fan, and to MP, as a lovable character.
    Rewatching AVTAK the other day I was wondering whether the kite surfing scene in DAD is not an intentional odd to the almost equally awful Beach Boys snowboarding in AVTAK. Both utilise the debris of Bond's previous mode of transport as improvised snow/surf boards.

You'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson from the first time.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Getafix wrote: »
    Rewatching AVTAK the other day I was wondering whether the kite surfing scene in DAD is not an intentional odd to the almost equally awful Beach Boys snowboarding in AVTAK. Both utilise the debris of Bond's previous mode of transport as improvised snow/surf boards.

You'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson from the first time.

Nah, it's just another defect of an already monstrous film. I don't see any reason as to why the filmmakers would want to emulate a scene that wasn't well received in the first place.

Plus, the stunt work in the snowboarding scene is actually quite impressive, whereas the DAD scene is just pure and utter pigeon poo.

With MGW involved, there's no way that they weren't aware of the reference.

It is weird though to copy something that's almost universally regarded as utterly naff, and then make it even naffer with CGI. As you say, at least the stunt work in AVTAK is real and looks pretty cool, if it wasn't ruined by the Beach Boys.
    Getafix wrote: »

It is weird though to copy something that's almost universally regarded as utterly naff, and then make it even naffer with CGI. As you say, at least the stunt work in AVTAK is real and looks pretty cool, if it wasn't ruined by the Beach Boys.

I don't think they copied it, rather it was just an unintentional similarity.

You could say the climax upon the cargo plane where Bond and Jinx escape the wreck in the helicopter is a reference to the cargo plane scene in TLD, where Bond and Kara use the jeep to escape.
    I think it probably is.

Bond was only about rehashing stuff during the Brosnan era.
    I always see DAD as Frankenstein's Monster: a mish mash of all Bond films pumped to eleven.

The end result is monstrous, if you pardon the pun.

• Getafix wrote: »

Except it wasn't The Beach Boys.

It was a cover. Which makes it even worse. ;-)
    The View PTS is distinctly average.

It feels very mundane and has an unconvincing Moore getting all pervy with George Best's girlfriend...and I haven't included the Beach Boys cover. I just MIGHT prefer the PTS of DAD actually.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The View PTS is distinctly average.

It feels very mundane and has an unconvincing Moore getting all pervy with George Best's girlfriend...and I haven't included the Beach Boys cover. I just MIGHT prefer the PTS of DAD actually.

I'm sure you might ;)
  • The DAD PTS is a million times better than the AVTAK PTS imo. The DAD PTS has tension, good music, an exciting chase scene, good stuntsork and a great surprise ending. Plus I really like Moons introduction, where he unzips the punch bag and a guy falls out.

AVTAK has Roger Moore's stunt double snowboarding to the beach boys then banging a girl who's at least 30 years younger than him. Barry's score is great and the stunt work is good but that's about it. The whole thing (Bond escaping some Russians in a snowy setting) is really nothing new and the iceberg submarine with the British flag is just naff.

AVTAK, while a pretty crap film, is better than DAD. But when comparing the PTS of each, it's not even close imo.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with @thelivingroyale. At the very least, DAD's PTS had a story to tell, whereas AVTAK's PTS was about Bond finding a chip on a dead body and then being chased by Russian soldiers. I don't need a lot, but please give me something. Action for action's sake? Surely the same people who brought us DN, FRWL, OHMSS, ... can do better!

But hey, they fixed all of that two years later. ;-)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    jobo wrote: »
    When your film, either intentionally or unintentionally, remind you of computer games, you have done something seriously wrong...
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Murdock wrote:
    I always thought the VR scene was a homage to the TWINE N64 game where a similar situation happens with terrorists invading MI6 and even holding up M at one point.

An homage to a videogame? It makes DAD even worse than I always considered it to be.

That's just being snobby.

I'm not defending the VR stuff in DAD, that's one of the reasons I hate the film, but to dismiss videogames entirely and say films should never be influenced by them is pretty stupid.

Some of the best writing I've ever seen in recent years has been in video games (The Walking Dead game for example is amazingly written, it's better than the show and it grabs you emotionally more than most blockbusters do, including the Bond films, and the character development in Assassin's Creed is better and more believeable than pretty much every big blockbuster films, including Bond).

Plus I think games as a whole are much more original than films (film studios wouldn't have the balls to make something like Dishonoured, a gothic, ultra violent revenge story set in an old fashioned, Victorian, steampunky world) and there's a level of interactivity you get with games that you don't get with films, you feel much closer to characters if you've actually controlled them rather than watched them and since games are longer you get to spend way more time with them (using Assassin's Creed as an example again, you play as Ezio for three games that pretty much cover his entire life so when he does die, it's much sadder than most films).

If you ever have some spare cash get an xbox or a playstation and you'll see that games have come a long way sincs the 90s.
  • RC7RC7
    Watched DAD tonight, for old times' sake (to be fair I've probably watched it 3-4 times this year already) with a bottle of red. I have a real soft spot for this movie. It's not particularly good, but utterly charming at times. Brosnan is brilliant and (I'm sorry Craigians) he still knocks Craig for six aesthetically.

Love Toby Stephens, yeah, that's right.

The first half is bang on the money, the final quarter/fifth is totally mishandled but shows glimpses of what could've been. In better hands the Moon/Graves dynamic could have been executed much better. The Iceland scenes are at the apex of filmic wank. The only redeeming feature is the car chase, the rest is borderline diabolical. The slow-mo of Zao pretending to be Neo as he interrogates Jinx is the single worst shot of the series (worse than the surfing, as it's a real f****** shot of a real man and it still looks crap).

Other than that, it's bloody fun and I'll take that over tedium, boredom, pretentiousness etc.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Both AVTAK & DAD are bottom of the barrel in the Bond canyon in my humble estimation, but for different reasons.

AVTAK is not to my liking because Moore was truly passed it. He should have gone out on 'All Time High' in the previous installment.

Having said that it's miles better than DAD. I'm not going to repeat DAD's flaws, as I'm sure they've been discussed at nauseum here.

I have to make special mention of Toby Stephens however. He in particular was a joke in DAD, hamming it up to the max. His sneer still gets me to this day & he's the only main villain I've seen who can match Brosnan for overacting (they made a fine pair in that fencing fight, pouting, sneering & making funny faces at one another like a bunch of wankers).

RE: DAD's pretitles, the only bit I enjoyed was the Korean kicking in the chap in the bag.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Both AVTAK & DAD are bottom of the barrel in the Bond canyon in my humble estimation, but for different reasons.

AVTAK is awesome. In all honesty, though, I don't class any Bond as 'bottom of the barrel'. The canon is 50 Shades of Awesome for me, it's just some deliver more shades than others.
    RC7 wrote: »

AVTAK is awesome. In all honesty, though, I don't class any Bond as 'bottom of the barrel'. The canon is 50 Shades of Awesome for me, it's just some deliver more shades than others.

This is pretty much my ethos when it comes to the Bond series.
    Agreed that both movies are still great compared to a lot of tripe out there (after all they are Bond movies!), but in that glorious 50 year history, these two, along with DAF, are at my bottom (interestingly all were swan songs for Bond actors, although only 2, Moore & Connery, were past it). TWINE also joins them way down there.
    This film is actually going on quite well through most of the scenes described earlier, but as soon as the story gets to England, this picture throws a live grenade on the floor in front of it and jumps on it.
    And that is exactly when hammy Stephens shows up. And the invisible car. And Madonna.

And of course the excellent Rosamund Pike (who could not save it but delivered a career making performance).
    DAD is still the second best Bond movie featuring Brosnan. It's far more engaging than both TND and TWINE and it has a lot of really good scenes. Yes, the overall plot is pretty silly but at least it's memorable unlike the two Bond movies preceding it.
    I preferred TND (but I have a bias for 70's Moore flicks, and this one had that retro feel with the larger than life plot & big set piece action sequences with the BMW car & bike).

I agree that DAD is more enjoyable than TWINE, which was quite boring to me.

I think Brosnan gave a very good performance in DAD for the most part. The shoe was beginning to fit (apart from some typically sappy parts during his Jynx rescue towards the end at the Ice Palace).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I enjoyed DAD ...people forget this movie came out in the time of Fast and Furious and XxX.,.all way over the top. Guilty fun and at least it tries to be a Bond film. Kinda along those epic Bond veins like YOLT TSWLM and MR. Campy fun.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    DAD, like MR and YOLT is a lot of fun, sure it has its bad/silly moments.
    Then again most Bonds have. :)) I think DAD has a great first half and
    A much weaker second half.
    Although I really love the hovercraft chase in the PTS.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I enjoyed DAD ...people forget this movie came out in the time of Fast and Furious and XxX.,.all way over the top. Guilty fun and at least it tries to be a Bond film. Kinda along those epic Bond veins like YOLT TSWLM and MR. Campy fun.

Don't forget the Bourne films, which along with the F&F and XxX just embarrassed the Bros Bonds.
    And that is exactly when hammy Stephens shows up. And the invisible car. And Madonna.

And of course the excellent Rosamund Pike (who could not save it but delivered a career making performance).

Yep to all this.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2014 Posts: 15,690
    xXx 1 may be a fun little film and a match to the Brosnan films, but all 4 Brosnan movies blow xXx 2 out of the water.
    I kinda agree with that, but the Bourne films thoroughly humiliate the Bros Bonds.