"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock was the most fun Bond girl ever.

Doublefixed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Doublefixed.

Wishful thinking on your part. =))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »

Doublefixed.

Wishful thinking on your part. =))

My heart beats. :))
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,595
    I still find it better than The Man With The Golden Gun. Jinx is dumb but not as insipid or stupid as Goodnight.

2 years ago I would have agreed with you but after seeing each film a couple more times, Jinx angers me more than any Bond girl in the entire series. Eckland isn't an amazing actress but Halle Berry, at least in DAD, is awful.

Sure, Goodnight isn't intelligent or memorable (in any positive way, at least) but her line delivery isn't half as bad as Berry's. Yeah, we have the writers to blame for a lot of Jinx's problems but it still stands: Jinx is the worst Bond girl.

Goodnight is near the bottom though, definitely.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2014 Posts: 9,117
    I still find it better than The Man With The Golden Gun. Jinx is dumb but not as insipid or stupid as Goodnight.

2 years ago I would have agreed with you but after seeing each film a couple more times, Jinx angers me more than any Bond girl in the entire series. Eckland isn't an amazing actress but Halle Berry, at least in DAD, is awful.

Sure, Goodnight isn't intelligent or memorable (in any positive way, at least) but her line delivery isn't half as bad as Berry's. Yeah, we have the writers to blame for a lot of Jinx's problems but it still stands: Jinx is the worst Bond girl.

It's a rare you can't argue with a single word of someone's post. Fine work Sir, although personally it didn't take me numerous viewings to reach that conclusion. Jinx was hideous on first viewing but you're right she does get worse each time you see it.
    I am still gabberflasted by the bravery of this thread title.

I agree. It's just a terrible picture.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Goodnight is pretty, and (sort of) funny in that 70's goofy way.
    Jinx is just offensively bad (though mostly easy on the eyes).
    Curiously, Stacey ("James! JAMES!!") Sutton is better than both IMO.
  • I like it and think it's on the same level as the other 3 Brosnan films.
    I like it and think it's on the same level as the other 3 Brosnan films.
    Heh, that's a new one, but at this point I'll gladly accept any Brosnan love. :)>-
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I disagree. Every sound that came out of Goodnight's mouth made me want to jam nails into my ears. She had terrible line deliveries. JAMS CAN YOU HEAR ME? JAMS! ugh utter rubbish.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,595
    @Murdock - Fair enough, but I felt the same way, except for Jinx.

@TheWizardOfIce - Thanks! Ironically enough I probably like and defend DAD more than the majority of those on this board. Definitely bottom 3(ish) though not quite the absolute bottom of the barrel, in my eyes.

I disagree. Every sound that came out of Goodnight's mouth made me want to jam nails into my ears. She had terrible line deliveries. JAMS CAN YOU HEAR ME? JAMS! ugh utter rubbish.

I guess because I didnt see TMWTGG in a cinema my reaction to her awfulness was never as acute as the sheer horror of Jinx.

With Jinx I was sitting in a room full of about 100 people, cowering into my seat, terrified that somehow they would realise I was a Bond fan, hold me responsible for this atrocity and organise an impromptu lynching.

But to be fair by the time 'Yo momma' and the CGI icebergs came into view I was already tying the sodding noose for them.

And lets not forget that at least Goodnight just fulfills the traditional gormless Bond girl roll of looking good in a bikini and not doing much else.

By the end of DAD Jinx and Bond are a double act getting equal screen time and climactic fights. And the posters are just as bad with them inseparable to the point where you could ask 'who's the star here?' And it was thought by some at EON that this character was so great she should get her own spin off FFS. I think I could stomach a Goodnight or Stacey Sutton spinoff before I could watch another second of footage of Jinx quite frankly.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think it is as bad as I used to think. From my recent viewing a few days ago:

What I like:
    - The pre-titles sequence
    - The sword fight
    - The Bond theme being used
    - The subtle references to the series history
    - "Then maybe it's time you stand aside and let me get on with my job."
    - The end of the car chase (how Bond evades Zao's broadsiding)
    - Q (yes, I like Cleese's sarcastic take on Q, nobody will top Llewellyn, but Cleese didn't try to copy his predecessor. i couldn't imagine Llewellyn's Q tradign bars with Bond in the same way
    - An Abandonned station for abandonned agents
    - "Global warming... is a terrible thing."
    - The scenes with Bond and Raoul

What I didn't:
    - The title track
    - Madonna's cameo
    - "Yo mama" (make that Jinx's dialogue in general, no fault of Berry)
    - The speed ramping
    - The not so suble references to the series history
    - "Ahm checkin' art."
    - Bond doing a spot of tundra surfing, it's as bad now as it was in 2002

On the contrary - this is also rubbish. Why? Because it makes out the invisiblity is a useful gadget when it really makes zero difference. It's the spiked tyres that get Bond out of that pickle and it makes no odds if Zao can see him drive up the wall at the last second or not as he's already committed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

On the contrary - this is also rubbish. Why? Because it makes out the invisiblity is a useful gadget when it really makes zero difference. It's the spiked tyres that get Bond out of that pickle and it makes no odds if Zao can see him drive up the wall at the last second or not as he's already committed.

The adaptive camoflage did come in useful. I doubt the tyre spikes would have been enough to anchor Bond to the spot when Zao would have collided with Bond.

The adaptive camoflage did come in useful. I doubt the tyre spikes would have been enough to anchor Bond to the spot when Zao would have collided with Bond.

?????

How did the adaptive camouflage help anchor him to the spot precisely?
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2014 Posts: 10,512
    I don't think it is as bad as I used to think.

It's become shorthand for 'bad', when in reality there are far worse films out there and regards Bond, quite a few of the cannon have moments equally as ludicrous. In all honesty, while it is at times unforgivably bad, it's not boring. It's just bat-shit crazy. I'd rather watch something hammy and overblown, than something tedious and dull.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,894

?????

How did the adaptive camouflage help anchor him to the spot precisely?

I didn't say that it did. The spikes were clearly enough to hold the weight off the Aston up on the slope, but add in the weight of the Jaguar, and I don't think the spikes would have been as successful in holding the Aston to the spot. So the adaptive camoflage helped. Without turning the adaptive camoflage on, Zao would have seen Bond reversing up the ramp.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't think it is as bad as I used to think.

It's become shorthand for 'bad', when in reality there are far worse films out there and regards Bond, quite a few of the cannon have moments equally as ludicrous. In all honesty, while it is at times unforgivably bad, it's not boring. It's just bat-shit crazy. I'd rather watch something hammy and overblown, than something tedious and dull.

Like any Bond film, there are good and bad parts. If The Living Daylights has to suffer John Terry, then no Bond film is perfect.
    No, DAD is really BAD. A few good moments here and there a Bond film do not make.
  • I hate the Madonna theme--awful. Other than that, I really enjoyed DAD. It's not a GREAT movie, but it's a lot of fun and yes, I love the invisible car. I don't see why this film is singled out as being exceptionally bad when it's really no better or worse than any of the Brosnan era films.

You want to talk about a bad movie--those Star Wars prequels, Man of Steel, Superman Returns, all bad. There are no bad Bond movies. Even films like AVTAK and MWTGG are fun and watchable with memorable villains and a good leading man.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 9,117

I didn't say that it did. The spikes were clearly enough to hold the weight off the Aston up on the slope, but add in the weight of the Jaguar, and I don't think the spikes would have been as successful in holding the Aston to the spot. So the adaptive camoflage helped. Without turning the adaptive camoflage on, Zao would have seen Bond reversing up the ramp.

Yes he would have seen him reversing and what's he going to do about it?
    The weight of the Jag doesn't come into it. Bond sees the Jag coming and gets out of the way - he doesn't intend them to collide because of course the Aston would get pushed over the edge. The point is Zao can't stop in time anyway because even when the Aston disappears he still goes over the edge so why not just drive up the wall giving him the finger as you do - he still ain't stopping in time.

If The Living Daylights has to suffer John Terry, then no Bond film is perfect.

Whoa. A bit of respect for the great JT please. No one can say 'World War 3' with quite the same level of woodenness as this guy. What next Sir? Slagging off Klaus Hergescheimer?
    I hate the Madonna theme--awful. Other than that, I really enjoyed DAD. It's not a GREAT movie, but it's a lot of fun and yes, I love the invisible car. I don't see why this film is singled out as being exceptionally bad when it's really no better or worse than any of the Brosnan era films.

There's always one person who has to take things too far. I think you may have taken the title of this thread a little too literally old son.
  • How is an invisible car any more absurd than say, a fortress in a hollowed out volcano?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    How is an invisible car any more absurd than say, a fortress in a hollowed out volcano?

I guess they're both on the outlandish scale albeit at different places.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    How is an invisible car any more absurd than say, a fortress in a hollowed out volcano?
    How is a car that turns into a submarine any more absurd than a Bondola? It's all in the presentation.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quite, the sub Lotus features in a enjoyable action sequence, while the Bondola was just an excuse for cheap and unnecessary "laughs".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    royale65 wrote: »
    Quite, the sub Lotus features in a enjoyable action sequence, while the Bondola was just an excuse for cheap and unnecessary "laughs".

On that action sequence from TSWLM please read my blog article below:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/kingsley-amis-draxs-gambit-and-reform.html

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I shall obey....
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,894

Yes he would have seen him reversing and what's he going to do about it?
    The weight of the Jag doesn't come into it. Bond sees the Jag coming and gets out of the way - he doesn't intend them to collide because of course the Aston would get pushed over the edge. The point is Zao can't stop in time anyway because even when the Aston disappears he still goes over the edge so why not just drive up the wall giving him the finger as you do - he still ain't stopping in time.

Maybe Bond wanted to rick roll Zao. Other than that, i've got nothing, you'll ask Purvis and/or Wade.
    If The Living Daylights has to suffer John Terry, then no Bond film is perfect.

Whoa. A bit of respect for the great JT please. No one can say 'World War 3' with quite the same level of woodenness as this guy. What next Sir? Slagging off Klaus Hergescheimer?

How dare you. I live in G Section. Nobody insults Sir Klaus on my watch.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really like David Arnold's soundtrack for this film. It seems he had a blast composing the music, and it does allow me to simply enjoy the score when the stuff on screen gets way too crazy.
    There was a time I hated DAD. There was also a time I loved it. Now I can have fun with it.