"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    There was a time I hated DAD. There was also a time I loved it. Now I can have fun with it.

If only if that could happen with Moonraker for you. ;)
  • Moonraker is leagues better.
    Moonraker is leagues better.
    Agreed. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    There was a time I hated DAD. There was also a time I loved it. Now I can have fun with it.

But there was never a time when I loved it. There was a time when I hated it. Now I appreciate it as a lesser Flint-type film.
    :))
    Murdock wrote: »

But there was never a time when I loved it. There was a time when I hated it. Now I appreciate it as a lesser Flint-type film.
    :))

You must grow to love it. :))
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    How is an invisible car any more absurd than say, a fortress in a hollowed out volcano?

I guess they're both on the outlandish scale albeit at different places.

One is in a good movie, and the other is in DAD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well I myself certainly love MR a whole lot more than DAD. Here are a few reasons:

- what you see in MR was actually physically in existence during filming
    - Roger Moore is awesome in MR
    - Compared to John Barry's beautiful score, Arnold's is downright cacophonous
    - MR failed at comedy when it gave us the pigeon but only for a brief moment in the film; DAD failed at comedy when it gave us Jinx, unfortunately far too often as well
    - "I think he's attempting re-entry, sir" is one of the very best lines ever written for a Bond film; DAD's got nothing on that. Nothing.
  • I have always thought that the first hour is fantastic, but the second half is a total disaster, so I had an extrange feeling about this movie.
    The movie is pretty good until it's revealed that Graves is Moon. I could almost buy it except I know what gene therapy is and it's NOT what is said in the movie. They should have just put some prosthetic's on Will Yun Lee's face and gave him some contact lenses. Like they did with Joseph Gordon Levitt in Looper. But it doesn't help that the villain's dooms day weapon was a Solar Satellite stolen from Batman and Robin.
    Just watching it now on ITV2 and it really is as bad as I remember. However, by virtue of its jaw dropping awfulness, it's actually less boring than TWINE
    Getafix wrote: »
    Just watching it now on ITV2 and it really is as bad as I remember. However, by virtue of its jaw dropping awfulness, it's actually less boring than TWINE

At least TWINE and DAD had better villains than Koskov and Whitaker. ;)
    Not sure about that. Toby Stephens is truly dreadful.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Not sure about that. Toby Stephens is truly dreadful.

True he's not exactly good but I do find him quite hilarious :))

"A defence mechanism to conceal such inadequacy"

ITV 2 have just had THAT scene :)) :-&
    He is hilariously bad. My brother in law just said it's like watching a really bad extended piss take of a Bond movie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's true. I've always said, we didn't need Austin Powers to take the piss out of a Bond movie because EON themselves were doing it with this one. I still prefer watching it to TWINE as well. At least it's not a melodrama like that one was.
    Roger did the whole self parody thing while still doing really entertaining movies. Austin Powers was redundant because everything Rog ever did was a little tongue in cheek any way.
    Before tuning into Die Another Day I was watching my blu ray of Casablanca I got for Christmas. Who needs crappy Bogart and Bergman and crappy model airplanes when you have Brosnan and Berry and CGI ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Before tuning into Die Another Day I was watching my blu ray of Casablanca I got for Christmas. Who needs crappy Bogart and Bergman and crappy model airplanes when you have Brosnan and Berry and CGI ;)

Good point. Bogart is overrated - gimme Brozza any day!

Good point. Bogart is overrated - gimme Brozza any day!

Glad you finally came into the light. :))
    ...and the awful dialogue about "hills and beans". Yuck :p

Incidently @Getafix I saw MR again on Christmas Day. It's pretty stupid and not exactly a great film, but it is still well made from a technical standpoint.
    ...and the awful dialogue about "hills and beans". Yuck :p

Incidently @Getafix I saw MR again on Christmas Day. It's pretty stupid and not exactly a great film, but it is still well made from a technical standpoint.

Have you ever heard me say anything bad about MR? ;)
    No, but it still is a bit...daft :p
    Birdleson wrote: »

"crappy Bogart and Bergman"? They are perfect in the film. A contender for my favorite movie of all time. You are nuts.

X_X I was joking, hence the winking smilie
    That's ok, no worries.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 3,564
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    "I think he's attempting re-entry, sir" is one of the very best lines ever written for a Bond film; DAD's got nothing on that. Nothing.

"They...FEAST." Pure genius, I must insist.

In all seriousness, and in regards to "the great John Terry"...JT is actually pretty good in his appearances on "Lost." Creepy and unlikeable while he's alive, and especially creepy on the Island when he's supposed to be dead...but as Felix Leiter, he's last week's milquetoast...
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I had the director commentary on and that's how I made it through my most recent viewing. The guy was totally wrong for James Bond
    I had the director commentary on and that's how I made it through my most recent viewing. The guy was totally wrong for James Bond

totally agree
  • DAD is shit. No actually there were a lot of good ideas that were badly implemented, such as Miranda frosts introduction.
    Says you. Brosnan was the perfect Bond. :-@