Worst Bond song

Comments

I think the theme songs from '63 to '77 hardly put a foot wrong, with TMWTGG being the weak entry, (Barry and Lulu agree). Since then, it's been very hit and miss. Skyfall was a welcome return to form, and at least the Sam Smith song had an effective melody and stood up to instrumental readings in the actual film itself.
    For me, the worst is Another Way To Die. It beats Die Another Day by a hair because it's not just rubbish, it's actually annoying.
    Antony Horrowitz got in trouble for saying Idris Elba was too 'street' to play Bond. But he was right in essence, in the same way American rap-style music doesn't suit the series. I quite like Bond to be a stiff-assed brit who hates even the Beatles.
    I moaned about Sam Smith's whiney delivery on the last film, but in retrospect, I think the last two themes have been a big improvement over the handful before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GBF wrote: »
    I am probably the only one who finds K.D. Lang's song totally boring and unispired.

I think Tomorrow never dies is actually a good song which is just a bit disturbed by Crow's limited voice what is noticable especially in the beginning of the chorus.
    I'm completely in agreement with you so you're not the only one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    GBF wrote: »
    I am probably the only one who finds K.D. Lang's song totally boring and unispired.

I think Tomorrow never dies is actually a good song which is just a bit disturbed by Crow's limited voice what is noticable especially in the beginning of the chorus.
    I'm completely in agreement with you so you're not the only one.

Yes, I've been saying this for years; With a stronger vocal this song would be held in higher regard. Ann Wilson of Heart would have owned 'this.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,622
    The answer to this question was for a long time a slam-dunk, but then came the Sam Smith horror and suddenly Madge was only 2nd worst.
    There is no 3rd worst . The other opening themes are all quite good.
    Edit Actually there is a 3rd worst. That racket that plays over the QoS titles.
    Otherwise, everything else is quite good.
    DAD takes this one easily. The song is bad on its own but is just awkward and dissonant going with Brosnan being tortured in the PTS.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    To me "Writings On The Wall" takes the top spot on the worst bond song list easily with great distance to #2, DAD by Madonna.

I sincerely hate the song - especially when listening to it with the worst title sequence in the series showing along. I really, really hate everything about it and I never want to see or hear it again - it's 25+ feet below the lowest quality margin anybody can set for a James Bond title song / title sequence. Yes, there's a lot of hate for it here :-D

It's a desaster what followed the exceptionally awesome Skyfall song/title sequence which both rank with the classics, easily.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    CountJohn wrote: »
    DAD takes this one easily. The song is bad on its own but is just awkward and dissonant going with Brosnan being tortured in the PTS.
    +1
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    That Pretenders song from TLD.

Makes my ears hurt.

From memory it pops up at several moments in the film too. Like a stench.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    That Pretenders song from TLD.

Makes my ears hurt.

From memory it pops up at several moments in the film too. Like a stench.

Which one are you talking about? They did two...'Where has everybody gone' and the closing track 'If there was a man'. The latter I think is a beautiful song, and considering the romantic angle of Bonds relationship with Kara, its very fitting end song. The former was used sort of as Necros theme as it comes up a few times he's on screen,.Not bad but the other is better!
    Where has everbody gone!

Thanks Mathis, that's the one that gets on my nerves.

I don't remember the other one, so I'm sure it wasn't offensive.

As far as closing credits go, I have a soft spot for 'if you asked me to' at the end of LTK.
    Yeh, that's a good one too! LTK has two really good themes! Love Gladys Knights title theme!
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    To me "Writings On The Wall" takes the top spot on the worst bond song list easily with great distance to #2, DAD by Madonna.

I sincerely hate the song - especially when listening to it with the worst title sequence in the series showing along. I really, really hate everything about it and I never want to see or hear it again - it's 25+ feet below the lowest quality margin anybody can set for a James Bond title song / title sequence. Yes, there's a lot of hate for it here :-D

It's a desaster what followed the exceptionally awesome Skyfall song/title sequence which both rank with the classics, easily.
    Beautifully said. I have nothing to add and couldn't agree more.
  • GBFGBF
    No... "If you asked me too" is actually the worst of all Bond songs including DAD.

Bottom 3:

TND: Gets old fast.
    WOTW: Boring.
    AWTD: I don't even remember how it sounds.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    The one whose initials are SS? ;)

Purely as a dance track I don't actually mind DAD. As a Bond theme, no.

I'd still prefer to listen to that over Another Way to Die though (in all honesty).

Gladys Knight I like but the "sound" is a bit too 80s to me.
    Then it fitted the film!!
    One criticism I do agree on with LTK is the fairly cheesy lyrics.

"I'm gonna...make 'me pay"
    "Got a license to kill...and you know I'm going straight for your heeeaaaarrrt".
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Gladys is a legend. We were very fortunate to get her for a Bond song. ^:)^

Same with Tina Turner.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Bottom 3:

A reminder:
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    @BMW_with_missiles

Oh, hysterical! :p
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    One criticism I do agree on with LTK is the fairly cheesy lyrics.

"I'm gonna...make 'me pay"
    "Got a license to kill...and you know I'm going straight for your heeeaaaarrrt".

Yeah, LTK is basically a warmed-over version of Goldfinger, right up to its opening notes. It's interesting Eon went from popular young bands such as Duran Duran and A-Ha the previous two films to a performer whose main successes were a good 15 years or more behind her.
    And she showed these young guns how it should be done!!. LTK theme was way better than both of them, which by the way, had some very odd lyrics!!
    LTK better than AVTAK? I have to respectfully, strongly, disagree, but we're talking opinions and and variety is the spice of life.

As far as lyrics, most of the songs stretch things lyrically
    That is very true!
    I still stand by what i said though. Gladys Knight is a much better singer than Mr. Le bon!
    I agree with that; as a big DD fan I recognize that Simon's voice is more unique than traditionally good; technically yes, Ms Knight is a better singer.
    I actually like her song for LTK. It evokes a certain nostalgia and is in many ways the end of an era for Bond title songs.
    Unfortunately thats true. Despite critics raving about Adeles Skyfall song , it didnt do much for me!
    While I agree Gladys is a stronger singer than Le Bon, I think AVTAK is a better song in terms of its lyrics and Bond feel. To me its like LALD in that its energetic, vibrant and gets me pumped up (shame the film itself doesn't reflect that).

...and I loved Adele.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Love both AVTAK and LTK for different reasons. Great themes.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately thats true. Despite critics raving about Adeles Skyfall song , it didnt do much for me!
    I was going to mention this as well. Just like the film itself, the song is vastly overpraised. But because it was performed by the darling of the pop world it was more than a song, it was an event.

Now that it has some distance, it's pretty obvious it's not all that when compared to some of the series' classics.

• edited July 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Oh man,
    Bottom 3:

A reminder:

This sounds more like Only Myself To Blame. I forgot about it, too. Horrendous and hideous: it's good they took it out of the movie.

BTW, guilty pleasures:

Make It Last Night: Cool enough. I love Bill Conti's FYEO score except for the mariachi music on the "Madrid" scenes. Shame on him: he got his start in Spanish and Italian movies: one thinks he would know better.

NSNA: Too nice of a song for such a shitty soundtrack. Hate its rushed end, though.

The Experience Of Love: I just like it. Don't ask me why.

About the ongoing LTK debate:

LTK: Awesome. My fav Bond song in my fav movie period: love Gladys Knight, and the team Walden-Cohen-Afanasieff ranks between my favourites. They took a classic like Goldfinger and turned it into a R&B anthem, also which speaks wonders of John Barry as a composer and his humongous influence.

Wedding Party: Another reworking, this time of Jump Up. A happy-go-lucky calypso turned into an annoying piece of crap. Nothing more to say.

Dirty Love: I actually liked the idea of including a chunk some good ol' AOR on a Bond soundtrack. I enjoy it.

If You Asked Me To: I know this will be unpopular, but I love it: a smooth ballad by a veteran like Pati LaBelle. Very fitting with the credits showing all those city lights: it creates a cool and relaxng atmosphere after we've have seen hell breaking loose in Isthmus.

And here's where I stop the derailing.