Worst Bond song

Comments

Exactly
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    TWINE is too bland to hate. Just a lame song all round.

The kd Lang / Arnold collaboration is the best song of the Brosnan era by a long stretch.

I remember hearing it at the end in the cinema and thinking "damn why wasn't this at the beginning"?

Regarding TWINE, I was a fan of the band Garbage at the time, and thought they were a great choice, but the song didn't really suit them, and I think they could of produced something better!

Exactly my thoughts, they could have done something much more exciting. .

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Frankly I thought “Surrender” sucked, and apparently so did EON. But the Cheryl Crow song sucked too.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 565
    Surrender is the epitome of what I don't care for with some of David Arnold's work - it's overly loud and bombastic. That's not to say I dont like DA (or brassy tracks), because I am firmly in the camp of wanting him to do one more.

I guess I'll have to just disagree with the folks here about TWINE. It's so deliciously thick and syrupy, filled with villainary. I for one believe it suits the film well and really goes well with the DK's title sequence. If anything, that simple gui rd ar riff should keep it from being labeled the worst...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As I said on another thread before, I think Surrender is a candidate for best Bond song ever (or at least top 3), but to each his own.

Regarding TWINE, I think the title song is one of the better ingredients of what is otherwise an inferior movie in just about every regard. And I had/have never heard of Garbage before nor after, so cannot compare it to anything else they did.

The worst theme for me remains DAD. I even prefer Another Way to Die.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JamesStock wrote: »

I guess I'll have to just disagree with the folks here about TWINE. It's so deliciously thick and syrupy, filled with villainary. I for one believe it suits the film well and really goes well with the DK's title sequence. If anything, that simple gui rd ar riff should keep it from being labeled the worst...

For me, it is one of the few great things about that film.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    As I said on another thread before, I think Surrender is a candidate for best Bond song ever (or at least top 3), but to each his own.

Regarding TWINE, I think the title song is one of the better ingredients of what is otherwise an inferior movie in just about every regard. And I had/have never heard of Garbage before nor after, so cannot compare it to anything else they did.

The worst theme for me remains DAD. I even prefer Another Way to Die.

You should check out Garbages albums. They were a good fit for Bond. Its just that song was only ok. They could have done much better if they were left to do it themselves!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Lately the latter day songs have taken some time for me to grow to like. I wasn't sure of Writing's on the Wall but after listening more I started to enjoy it more and more. Die Another Day feels very dated to me. I wish Madonna had done something more like "Beautiful Stranger". Now that's a song that I really enjoy.

The early movies there isn't really a misstep. Though I am not sure that Lulu's entry was all that strong. At some point it became more about getting a star or someone from the label who held the rights to the music. If I am not mistaken the OP soundtrack was by A&A records and lo and behold we got an A&A artist Rita Collidge singing it. I think something similar happened with LTK.

My son loves Another Way to Die and it's like Sam Smiths song it has grown on me over the years.
    Madonna'a Ray of Light album better suited Bond. Can't remember the name of the producer but a shame she didn't team up with him for DAD. Having said this, while not great, her DAD song is definitely not the worst.
    One thing I do love about Madonna's song is that she had the audacity to basically not give a fuck about how the "conventional" Bond song should sound like. She threw that out the window in order to do her own thing and show what a Bond song doesn't have to be conformed to one thing or another. I think it's the boldest Bond song since "A View to a Kill", a much needed shot in the arm after three safe generic title songs that seemed to have no purpose other than to carry on the "tradition".
    Yes it's admirable to do something new and exciting......but DAD ain't it, it's a dirge of a song, simply unlistenable!
    I believe Cornell got it right for CR with YKMN, that surprised me and is a great Bond theme!
    Unlistenable would be something like “Another Way to Die”, which I’d peg as the worst of the lot.

What makes YKMN stand out is that it benefited from having an actual artist like Cornell co-write and co-produce the song, rather than letting Arnold with Don Black lead the charge like with “Surrender” and “The World is Not Enough”, which both felt too beholden to the 60s Bond sound. It’s the same issue I have with “No Good About Goodbye”.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Yes I like AVTAK and TLD for the same reason. Decent original songs that Barry sprinkled some Bond magic on. Arnold is a decent collaborator/producer. He seemed to have learnt from the failure that was TWINE and take a more collaborative approach with Cornell.

Surrender is a decent song though. Dont know how much Kd lang contributed. Arnold wrote it with David McAlmomt, witj lyrics by Don Black. Blatantly should have been the main title track.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I actually like the song Tomorrow Never Dies but Crowe's vocals are not up to the task; Had it been sung by someone like Whitney Houston or Ann Wilson it would have been a much stronger tune.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    talos7 wrote: »
    I actually like the song Tomorrow Never Dies but Crowe's vocals are not up to the task; Had it been sung by someone like Whitney Houston or Ann Wilson it would have been a much stronger tune.

The original Billie Eilish perhaps? The reality is that Lang's verion of the theme for Tomorrow Never Dies should've been the front runner, IMO. In terms of the worst Bond song in the series, my gut instinct is that it's Keys & White's "Another Way To Die" from Quantum of Solace.
    Never been able to sit through TB
    Just can't stand it. TMWTGG is also pretty dire.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,554
    In 2012, when the anniversary album was released, with all of the songs, they all worked really well, when listened to together. There wasn't one that stood out as horrible. They all have their "place," if you will.

If pressed, I'd argue that the one at the bottom of the list is "All Time High," even though the song (along with the theme from NSNA) captures "Bond in 1983" so perfectly. (That sax has 80s all over it.) What's interesting is that Coolidge by then was a has-been. and her song was sandwiched between theme songs performed by hot, in-the-moment acts (Easton in 81 and Duran Duran in 85).

Bassey's "Moonraker" is another contender. Like Coolidge, Bassey was an odd choice. I love Shirley; don't get me wrong. But given that the film was pushing the envelope, it's theme song should have too. 1979? Donna Summer, with a song written by Giorgio Moroder, would have made more sense.

But like I said: overall, I can't complain about any of them.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I really don't care for Easton's FYEO and her being in the PTS. Probably the worst in my opinion. I hate Contis score throughout the film, except for the gunbarrel.
    Bassey seemed a bit dated by the time old MR but it's a beautiful song and she does a great job of it.

I'm surprised that so many people seem to dislike All Time High. One of my favourites.

Getafix wrote: »
    Bassey seemed a bit dated by the time old MR but it's a beautiful song and she does a great job of it.

I'm surprised that so many people seem to dislike All Time High. One of my favourites.

Agree. Love that song, and I think Binders title sequence goes well with it!
    Still rank DAD as absolute worst, appalling drivel!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    For me it is AWTD.

I do love that music, I admit. I'm a big fan of Alicia and Jack White, but pardon me: it's just absolutely NOT Bond at all.
    I could totally see that music as a theme for Die Hard or The Expendables... But not in a Bond movie.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    X3MSonicX wrote: »
    For me it is AWTD.

I do love that music, I admit. I'm a big fan of Alicia and Jack White, but pardon me: it's just absolutely NOT Bond at all.
    I could totally see that music as a theme for Die Hard or The Expendables... But not in a Bond movie.

Funny enough, the effect on me was quite the opposite. It's not that I have any particularly fond feelings for the song, it's just not my type of music and somewhere down there in the vicinity of Madonna's. But when it first was announced, I saw a video of it (not the movie credits) and thought, "They can't be serious choosing that crap as a Bond theme!" But when I heard it later in the context of the QoS credits, I felt it wasn't that bad at all. I've watched QoS about five times altogether, always discovering new details before getting all nauseated again from the quick cuts. But I've made my peace with AWTD.
  • Has to be Another Way To Die
  • Has to be Another Way To Die

Agreed.

After a promising opening few seconds, Another Way To Die becomes so jarringly inconsistent in tone and quality. Like pieces of 5 different songs rehashed together. Such a waste of the performers' potential. They didn't seem to have a lot of time to put something together, if I'm not mistaken.

Die Another Day at least is consistently ridiculous and kind of fun. Fits the film like a glove too, for better or for worse.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    "No Time To Die" is definitely in top 3, if not the worst.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Die Another Day by Madonna. I don't think this will be the last time its mentioned in on this thread.

DAD is a dance track that has no place in Bond. It all sounds like Madonna wrote the Lyrics in less than 5 minutes! The worst theme song by a Country mile!
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    If we're going by main title themes then I'd say No Time To Die but previously Writings On The Wall held that honor. As for soundtrack tracks..uhh everything from Skyfall and Spectre (minus the opening track from Spectre as that was quite good) and The track from Dr. No where it plays a high note everytime Connery hits the spider is pretty awful and stupid.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Writing's on the Wall is the only one I genuinely despise. The rest to me are at least listenable even if they don't rank among my favourites.
  • Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    Same, I like all the Bond title themes except Writing's On The Wall and No Time To Die, although If Writings On The Wall is sang by someone other than Sam Smith then it is ok, The Sophia Karlberg cover for instance is fantastic and really makes the song a lot better.
    I can't stand Thunderball