Worst Bond song

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    It's nice that we have a thread dedicated to Another Way to Die.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The last PoS for me. It's not even close.
    Another Way to Die, no contest. "Bang Bang Bang Bang". Who thought it would be a good idea ? Goodness !

For Die Another Day, it depends on the version. Main title is fine, end title... not so much.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Only Myself To Blame...so bad, they removed the sung version from the movie.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    On reconsideration, Another Way to Die is worse than DAD. I listened to it again and the chorus and ending were so bad my ears are now hemorrhaging.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I actually like AWTD. However, it fails as a Bond theme on pretty much every level.
    I like AWTD too. Maybe not on its own. Accompanying the underrated titles sequence its listenable. But DAD? No, its appalling drivel. An assault on the ears!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Leading candidates:

"The Man with the Golden Gun" Lulu
    "Moonraker" Shirley Bassey
    "All Time High" Rita Coolidge
    "The Living Daylights" A-Ha (I am still trying to figure out how this one-hit-wonder band got this gig)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Die Another Day
    Another Way To Die
    Writing's On The Wall
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    My bottom 3, starting with the worst,

1.Die Another Day
    2. Writing's on the Wall
    3. Moonraker.

I actually like Another Way to Die, although, Alicia Keys is out of place here. The song is edgy and , to go against the tide,very Bondian. While it is somewhat disjointed in structure, it reflects where Bond is following the death of Vesper .
    Die Another Day.

Die Another Day (the Vegas version)
  • GBFGBF
    Worst:

001. Die another day (bad on every level)

big gap

002. Moonraker (bland, completely uninspired with lyrics that make no sense: What is a Moonraker??)

big gap

003. The writing on the wall (still not sure about it)

004. Another way to die (not as bad as many say)

005. The man with the golden gun (funny and catchy, fits the film pretty well)

006. From Russia with love (stylish but a bit soporific)

007. Tomorrow never dies (see FRWL)
    My least favorite is in keeping with my least favorite film in the series, TWINE. Completely uninspiring with predictable lyrics. I remember hearing it the first time and knowing after "We know how to kiss" would be followed by "we know how to kill." Arnold's usage of it in the film was limited and basically unmemorable and didn't enhance things when he did.

DAD and AWTD aren't good but at least they don't play it safe and try something different and it doesn't harm things whereas TWINE is just there, doesn't get stuck in your head and find yourself humming it.
    Writing's on the Wall is far too submissive to be performed from Bond's perspective. The song itself is not bad and would have received a much better reception with a strong, female vocal.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    My least favorite is in keeping with my least favorite film in the series, TWINE. Completely uninspiring with predictable lyrics. I remember hearing it the first time and knowing after "We know how to kiss" would be followed by "we know how to kill." Arnold's usage of it in the film was limited and basically unmemorable and didn't enhance things when he did.

DAD and AWTD aren't good but at least they don't play it safe and try something different and it doesn't harm things whereas TWINE is just there, doesn't get stuck in your head and find yourself humming it.

The band Garbage should have been left to compose the song themselves! They were a good choice, but given a poor song!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

The band Garbage should have been left to compose the song themselves! They were a good choice, but given a poor song!
    The band lived up to their name. Apropos for the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yawn.
    Ah, too obvious! I had been a fan of Shirley Manson and Garbage, and some of their songs had a Bond theme sound about them, but David Arnold and the guy who wrote TMWTGG composed TWINE! It was poor choice!
    It was pastiche and I think they realized it. That's probably why they decided to try something quite different with DAD, and ended up with another disaster.
    Oh as i've stated on numerous occasions, DAD is really appalling drivel. To be fair Madonna was an ok choice but God that was a dreadful theme!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The instrumental of Die Another Day is much more enjoyable as the melody is rather decent.
    I agree. Madge certainly could have done a lot better.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I've said this for years; I'm a big fan and they could have done so much better.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    All Time High is definitely the worst. At least Die Another Day is catchy. ATH sounds like a shite soap opera intro song.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Die Another Day...Another Way To Die. And the Spectre won wins the award for wimpiest. Have some stones in the next one. Like, say, "Surrender."
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    All Time High is definitely the worst. At least Die Another Day is catchy. ATH sounds like a shite soap opera intro song.

Blasphemy
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Okay, whilst it's not really a favourite of mine - All Time High is a classier Bond song. Is it a classic? No. I appreciate Madonna was trying to be edgy (a good idea if only the concept worked), this was little more than a rehash of the same ideas used on her "Music" single. ATH had a more traditional/timeless quality - better melody, better vocals, better lyrics, actually just better song used to great effect in the score. Analyse that Sigmund Freud! Just my opinion of course - I still wish Laura Brannigan sang ATH rather than Coolidge!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Blasphemy

All Time High tried to repeat the success of FYEO (and I suppose NDIB). It failed but that's what it seemed to be going for...
    =bg= wrote: »
    Die Another Day...Another Way To Die. And the Spectre won wins the award for wimpiest. Have some stones in the next one. Like, say, "Surrender."

I'm pretty sure Surrender is written from the POV of Carver, not Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TWINE? A bad song?

The world definitely has turned upside down. I must be in an alternate dimension.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TWINE? A bad song?

The world definitely has turned upside down. I must be in an alternate dimension.

No kidding. TWINE is an awesome song!