Worst Bond song

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    TWINE? A bad song?

The world definitely has turned upside down. I must be in an alternate dimension.

No kidding. TWINE is an awesome song!
    It baffles me seeing somebody putting it down. I'm afraid of ever seeing a day to come when Goldfinger starts getting detracted.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TWINE? A bad song?

The world definitely has turned upside down. I must be in an alternate dimension.

It baffles me seeing somebody putting it down. I'm afraid of ever seeing a day will come when Goldfinger starts getting detracted.

I was quite surprised to see that it has any detractors as well. It essentially follows the formula for a proper Bond theme to the letter; something we've been missing for a while.
    TWINE? A bad song?

It baffles me seeing somebody putting it down. I'm afraid of ever seeing a day will come when Goldfinger starts getting detracted.

I was quite surprised to see that it has any detractors as well. It essentially follows the formula for a proper Bond theme to the letter; something we've been missing for a while.
    Brave new world.
    TWINE? A bad song?

Brave new world.

But can we still depend...

...on one man?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    TWINE? A bad song?

Brave new world.

But can we still depend...

...on one man?
    Depends on how big of a capacity is the containment within the "we". That's questionable these days. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TWINE? A bad song?

TWINE is not a bad song it's just that Garbage has done so much better.
    I'm curious are the strong supporters fans of the band? I would tend to think non-fans would like it better than fans.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    TWINE? A bad song?

I think TWINE and YKMN are the only "proper" Bond songs we've had in decades. The first can be traced to GF and the second to LALD.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I said earlier, my dislike for TWINE rests on the fact that it's predictable pastiche. Uninventive and not even remotely comparable to what it attempts to evoke. Like Surrender which I also have a low opinion of. It's reflective of that whole inferior imitative era (including scores, characterizations etc.). Sort of like that song which was sung for McCarthy's SPY.

YKMN is in the vein of LALD, but it's quite original sounding to me. Very different and unique for a Bond film. More grungy. Just like AVTAK had a bit of New Wave.

I don't like AWTD or DAD but at least they attempted to be creative, even if the results were less than satisfactory.
    echo wrote: »
    TWINE? A bad song?

I think TWINE and YKMN are the only "proper" Bond songs we've had in decades. The first can be traced to GF and the second to LALD.
    You mean, Bond songs of different styles embodying two factions of "the formula". Yes, YKMN belongs to the LALD category.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,588
    TWINE? A bad song?

+1.

Worst has got to be FYEO for me. Awful stuff.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 565
    I got to agree with you @jake24 I cant stand FYEO.

My lineup would be:

---- Nails on a chalkboard
    TMWTGG - Not very catchy and blatantly a copycat maneuver (LALD), but it does try to be somewhat fun.
    MR - Feels like a bland, mushy pea soup. Uninspiring theme with cringy lyrics. (But to be fair, the title doesn't exactly lend itself to a good song name to sing about.)
    FYEO - So sappy I can make maple syrup for months every time I hear it.
    All Time High - As @dominicgreene best put it, "ATH sounds like a shite soap opera intro song."
    DAD - An easy target, as many have already commented their distaste with it. I like the concept, but not so much the execution. Points for trying out techno, the string instrumentation, and for being catchy, but, seriously, lyrically, W. T. F.

---- Ears are bleeding
    Writing's on the Wall - It seriously make me feel caught in a post-millennial teenager's diary after his happy place bubble has finally popped. If you can get past all the wailing, the song structure is as much of a weak and confused as emotional wreck that is the lyrics. It's like when they found success with Skyfall, they instantly decided to copy the self loathing, world is going to end moodiness. At least Skyfall was listenable. Good grief!
    Another Way to Die - Honestly there's a part of me that really wants like AWTD. I like the direction it was going, I see the vision, I really do...but man, that chorus...there's no word appropriate enough to define its awfulness. And then there's the 'bang bang bang bang' cherry topper. That's just unforgivable.
    I generally love Alicia Keys so I never doubted her talents. It's Jack White I can't stand. It's his style of a song.
    Can we all agree that nothing in the official series is worse than the awful, repetitive noise that is Never Say Never Again? I'm appalled that they passed up this perfectly serviceable song for that absolute era-rape.

Compare to what they chose:
    Not really. I actually love NSNA. Both versions.
    Not really. I actually love NSNA. Both versions.

I just find it to be so grating. The instrumentals are ok.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    TWINE's way better than TND, IMO. At least the chorus music is far better.
    Have to defend 'All Time High' . Its one of my favourites. Saying its less tuneful than DAD is a bit baffling, since Madonnas dirge has no real tune, just noise with stupid lyrics "Sigmund Freud..Sigmund Freud!!"
    TWINE? A bad song?

Since I'm the one who posted my negative feelings toward TWINE previously and this is the worst Bond song thread, I'll elaborate. It does follow the formula and that's part of the problem. It's reheated with little to put it anywhere near the same level as a Goldfinger or Diamonds Are Forever, so I'm not sure what not liking TWINE would have to do with one's feelings about GF, especially since it's one of the films where music is immediately linked with it.

Not so with TWINE. It's not exciting or romantic, just there as part of what's required for a Bond film at the time. Madonna's DAD at least took a chance as did the themes that followed to varying degrees of success but they say more Bond to me than TWINE does.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Not the biggest fan of Moonraker. After two legendary theme songs, Shirley really has no clue what she is saying here and neither do we.

All Time High is a bit vanilla to me.

Another Way to Die is quite messy, on par with the editing of QOS I might say.

Finally Writing's on the Wall would have been a lot better if it was done by a woman.

The worst additional song must be Only Myself to Blame, happily enough not included in the movie.

The songs that I like but generally disliked by others are The Man with the Golden Gun, The Experience of Love and Die Another Day.

The first one is pretty catchy, I like the piano in the second one and concerning the third one, I enjoy electronic music once in a while so there you go.
    The Experience of Love AND Die Another Day???? Oh dear!
    Well music, even more so than film I think, is influenced by what sort of thing you like.

For instance, some people like heavy metal. I think it's terrible. I like French music from the 60's, some might find that very strange indeed.

Anyway, I like most Bond songs. Maybe some of them for nostalgic reasons, but I like them.
    Quite like TWINE, but it's far from my favourite title songs. Probably the best of the Brosnan era, though.

Another Way to Die is a mess. Do like Jack White's music, but that song is not on my playlist, for sure. Still, Die Another Day holds the place as worst Bond song for me. The best part is from 0:00 to 0:16, just before the vocals start. Never understood why Madonna is regarded as a pop icon. Surely, there's far better pop musicians out there.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    GoldenEye might be my favourite of the lot. :D
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Well music, even more so than film I think, is influenced by what sort of thing you like.

For instance, some people like heavy metal. I think it's terrible. I like French music from the 60's, some might find that very strange indeed. .
    On the contrary. Does this count? I came across it after watching Rush Hour 3 and found it amusing and catchy. Brigitte Bardot sings apparently.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My vote for worst song would be TND I like Sheryl Crow as a singer but she is horribly mismatched for that song. I would have preferred KD Lang to sing either that song or the one she sang over the credits.

I must admit Another Way to Die has grown on me as did The Writings On the Wall.

No I will run for cover and prepare for the incoming attack!

thedove wrote: »
    My vote for worst song would be TND I like Sheryl Crow as a singer but she is horribly mismatched for that song. I would have preferred KD Lang to sing either that song or the one she sang over the credits.

I must admit Another Way to Die has grown on me as did The Writings On the Wall.

No I will run for cover and prepare for the incoming attack!
    I'm one of the few here who really likes Crow's track and her vocals. I don't like Surrender for reasons I mentioned earlier. I can live with AWTD but honestly (and I mean it) I'd rather do what Craig wanted to do to himself after SP than listen to WOTW again.
    No i agree with you. Langs song was better!
    Arnold put it forward for main song. They went with boring instead!
    @bondjames That is a great classic indeed. May I recommend BB Initials by the same Serge Gainsbourg as well? It's his ode to Brigitte Bardot, who as you pointed out correctly sings alongside him in Bonnie and Clyde. If I remember correctly they were some sort of an item in those days.

Sorry to go off topic fellas. Carry on.
    Will check that out. Thanks @GoldenGun.
  • GBFGBF
    I am probably the only one who finds K.D. Lang's song totally boring and unispired.

I think Tomorrow never dies is actually a good song which is just a bit disturbed by Crow's limited voice what is noticable especially in the beginning of the chorus.