"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) was the first crossover movie, dircted by Earle C. Kenton. Starring John Carradine for the first time as Dracula,it follows both Frankenstein meets The Wolf Man and Son of Dracula.

Boris Karloff (formerly Frankensteins monster) as the mad scientist, Lon Chaney as the Wolfman (he played Dracula in the previous film), J. Carroll Naish as a hunchback and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein s monster.

Was this the inspiration for the new attempt at a shared monster universe? Don t think that will come to pass, seeing how poor the new films are.

1944-house-of-frankenstein-george-zucco.jpg
    These characters were never meant to meet. They belong to their own story and their own universe. I'd rather have faithful adaptations of Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, etc.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    These characters were never meant to meet. They belong to their own story and their own universe. I'd rather have faithful adaptations of Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, etc.

There's the literary version and then there's the popcorn version. I don't mind the latter to be honest. :)
    I love both. As much as I love the Universal cross over films, I'm glad Hammer films never mixed their characters.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 14,816
    DarthDimi wrote: »

There's the literary version and then there's the popcorn version. I don't mind the latter to be honest. :)

Me neither but it would be nice to have a faithful adaptation from time to time. Harry Potter had it, Lord of the Rings had it, why not Dracula?

Of all the classic horror stories I think Jekyll and Hyde would be alongside Frankenstein the most difficult to adapt, because everybody knows the plot twist.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love both. As much as I love the Universal cross over films, I'm glad Hammer films never mixed their characters.

Hammer could be really creative and really explore the themes associated with the monsters they brought. Often the plot was lacking (when it comes to Dracula at least), but the atmosphere was always spot on.
    HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945) is the direct sequel to House of Frankenstein. Again directed by Erle C. Kenton and with the same cast in the lead roles.(They use footage of Boris Karloff as Frankenstein s monster in a dream sequence). Dracula here uses the alias Baron Latos.
    MV5BY2UwMDljODktMTRhMS00MjEwLWJmMmQtODQzMWNmMzllZWNlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

I didn t care much for Carradine as Dracula here.
    In ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) directed by Charles Barton, Bela Lugosi reprises his role from 17 years earlier. Lon Chaney Jr and Glenn Strange also reprise their roles as The Wolfman and Frankenstein s monster respectively from Universal s mashup movies. Chaney is great, but Strange is no match for Karloff in the excellent take he had before.
    A few funny moments, but overall poor.

I really enjoy Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. I think it’s such a solid performance from Lugosi and a satisfying finish to the original universal monster series.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,801
    Here's a color pic of Bela's cape from ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN

CAPEFULLcopy.jpg

edited October 2018 Posts: 45,489
    DRAKULA ISTANBUL DA (Dracula in Istanbul) is a Turkish adaptation of the Stoker novel from 1953, although it is more correct to say it it is based on a Turkish translation from 1928 that took its liberties.
    Dracula%20in%20Istanbul-500x500.jpg

Directed by Mehmet Muhtar, and starring Atif Kaptan as Dracula. This is the first film where Dracula is shown to have fangs.
    MV5BZTcwYThlNGItNGVmYi00OWJmLTk0OGQtZjM2YmQ1OTAzMTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjc2Mzk3ODA@._V1_.jpg
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Two "latter-day" Hammers just announced for North American (Region A) Blu-ray release, likely by the end of this year... Groovy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=20903&d=1537302005

attachment.php?attachmentid=20908&d=1537306737

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time we get an anamorphic decent looking SATANIC RITES.

Looking forward to AD 1972 as well.To be honest, I felt the transfer used on the Warner Bros VHS copy from the late '90's was better than the later DVD version.

Now if they can just get around to HORROR all will be right .
    FYI... Dracula A.D. 1972 (Blu-ray) is shipping right now.

The North American Blu-ray of The Satanic Rites of Dracula, however, has been pushed back to November 13th.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Funny I watched it recently. Hated that movie.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 45,489
    The first Hammer Horror film DRACULA came out in 1958. Directed by Terence Fisher.
    Renamed as HORROR OF DRACULA in the US so as not to be confused with the Lugosi/ Browning movie from 1931.

This was the first of many with Fransisco Scaramanga as the Count.
    giphy.webp

The same year one of my new favourites also came out.

THE RETURN OF DRACULA directed by Paul Landres, and starring Francis Lederer as Dracula. It takes place in California and Dracula uses the alias of one Bellac Gordal, whom he has killed and taken the identity of. Known as CURSE OF DRACULA on television and THE FANTASTIC DISAPPEARING MAN in the UK. Lederer reprised the role in a 70s tv series.

• Bellac Gordal

A partial anagram of Bela Lugosi and Dracula combined?
    Bellac Gordal

A partial anagram of Bela Lugosi and Dracula combined?

I too thought there was a reference there.
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!! There's a 16mm print screening of DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE in my area this weekend. I'm going to try to go.
    I've never seen any of the Lee Drac films on the big screen. Actually I believe it's a college auditorium screening so it's not really in a movie theater. Still, though looking forward to it.
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!! There's a 16mm print screening of DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE in my area this weekend. I'm going to try to go.
    I've never seen any of the Lee Drac films on the big screen. Actually I believe it's a college auditorium screening so it's not really in a movie theater. Still, though looking forward to it.

That's one of the good ones too.
    Indeed. One of the best one, if not the best one. You will enjoy yourself.
    I'm very interested in what the print looks like. This 16mm film series has weekly screenings at the local University. I missed FRWL a few months ago. So I don't want to miss this. I imagine it may be from an old television print. Damn, though Lee's Dracula screened with an audience. Should be very cool.

The only Dracula movies I've seen in the cinema are : the Lugosi 1931 version, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, the Langella version and the Coppola version. Oh, and the Mel Brooks spoof.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

That's one of the good ones too.

Yes! Not the classic of the first, but well done!!!
    After I see it this weekend I 'll post a review here of the experience.
    I think the only Dracula films I have seen in the cinema are the Udo Kier film, the Italian one with Lee and the Coppola film.
    The only Dracula movie I watched on the big screen was Coppola's Dracula. Boy was I disappointed! I had developed an obsession with the novel since I was 13 and had read the novel. That was back in the summer 1990.
    Terence Fisher and Christopher Lee teamed up for the second time for DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966)
    Dracula_PrinceOfDarknesssepiaFinalSmall_1_large.jpg?v=1462465450.
    The cinematography in this one is by Michael Reed whom we know from OHMSS three years later. Barbara Shelley, the horror film queen also has a part here. Come to think of it, I have seen this one in the cinema as well.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    I think the only Dracula films I have seen in the cinema are the Udo Kier film, the Italian one with Lee and the Coppola film.

I love ANDY WARHOL'S DRACULA. I imagine that must have been fun to see in the cinema. Very much a cult classic.

I love ANDY WARHOL'S DRACULA. I imagine that must have been fun to see in the cinema. Very much a cult classic.

I can t quite remember, I was a teenager and saw hundreds of movies at the time, on video and in the cinema. But it didn t leave a very positive mark, I think.
    The same year as DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS came out, also saw the release of the low-budget movie BILY THE KID VS DRACULA. Directed by William Beaudine, and with John Carradine reprising his role from the Universal mash-up films. Shot simultaneosly as JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN S DAUGHTER by the same director.
    Stuntman Chuck Courtney as Billy the Kid.

Here is a review of the movie.
    The same year as DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS came out, also saw the release of the low-budget movie BILY THE KID VS DRACULA. Directed by William Beaudine, and with John Carradine reprising his role from the Universal mash-up films. Shot simultaneosly as JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN S DAUGHTER by the same director.
    Stuntman Chuck Courtney as Billy the Kid.

Here is a review of the movie.

Great review. BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA is a fond favorite of mine. A lot of fun. Some great Carradine moments:
    HOW DARE YOU INTERFEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!!!

Tonight Ii went to a 16mm screening of DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968).
    I had a blast and there was a decent turn out. This was an open matte Technicolor print, though a few frames were replaced with a reddish faded Eastmancolor stock.
    I'd never seen a film print screening of a Hammer horror before tonight and it goes to show how vibrant and rich film stock is compared to digital DVD or Blu-ray.
    For instance on the DVD the blood is very bright and looks a bit like stage blood. On film it's thicker and richer. Darker. I have yet to see HAS RISEN on Blu-ray.

The film had it's share of scratches, but that made it all the more charming, and the sound was excellent. Looked to be a 1:33 aspect ratio as opposed to 1:85 or whatever.
    Lee projected on the big screen as Dracula oozes in menace and danger. Damn, now I want to see all of his Drac flicks on film.