"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first Dracula film as far as I know was the Hungarian film Dracula s Death (Drakula Halala)from 1921.
    Directed by Karoli Laythay.

Erik Vanko (aka Paul Askonas) as an insane asylum inmate who claims to be Count Dracula. No resemblance to the Stoker novel beyond the reference and inspiration.
    220px-Drakula_hal%C3%A1la.jpg
    An article about the inspiration and genesis of Dracula : https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2016/10/27/something-blood-part-1/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    CraterGuns wrote: »

attachment.php?attachmentid=20903&d=1537302005

Oct. 16th, baby!! Oh yeah!
    I far prefer Satanic Rites to 1972.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I far prefer Satanic Rites to 1972.

1972 was a great year. As for satanic rites, I am not into that stuff.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,808
    Still, a James Bond connection in that film (apart from Sir Christopher, of course). Recognize the lady ?

Satanic%2BRites%2Bof%2BDracula.gif

And here's the cover for the first French edition of the novel :

editionfrancaiseillustree-dracula1919.jpg

Published in 1919.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It comes in for a lot of flack, but I love Satanic Rites. Fair enough, Dracula is hardly in it, but the mix of contemporary horror and spy thriller appeals to me.
    It comes in for a lot of flack, but I love Satanic Rites. Fair enough, Dracula is hardly in it, but the mix of contemporary horror and spy thriller appeals to me.

It's one of the few Drax movies where he actually has a large scale scheme.
    Years ago, in the local library in Brest, I found a version of the novel which had illustrations by a then youn Philippe Druillet. Loved the drawings, and I found out a place on the net where you can watch them. So here they are :

5305623266_ec69447840_z.jpg

5305624860_373493520e_b.jpg

5305624688_5accbffced_b.jpg

5305623154_027e22141a_z.jpg

5305029997_2861e90775_b.jpg

5305625362_69903d6c1b_b.jpg

5305030295_f1134b4b9d_b.jpg

5305625558_c5c388df91_b.jpg

5305030557_b6568c3fc1_b.jpg

5305074905_671eaaff10_b.jpg

5305625866_5f8f6b0f80_b.jpg

5305028933_d3ba960897_z.jpg
    @Gerard that looks interesting. With a Dracula who looks like the novel's Dracula.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 45,489
    First proper adaptation of the Stoker novel was NOSFERATU, EINE SYMPHONIE DES GRAUENS from 1922. Directed by F.W. Murnau and with Max Schreck as Graf Orlock, the alias they use for Dracula in this film. Stoker s widow sued the film company, German Prana Film, and a court decision ordered all copies of the film burned due to copyright infringement. The company went bankrupt, and produced no more films.Nosferatu was their first and last.

Luckily, one print survived and was copied over the years. This version takes place in Germany in the 1830s, and some names and events are changed, but I thoroughly enjoy it.
    NOSFERATU-1922.jpg
    Nosferatu is one of the best) heck it's THE best) and most faithful adaptations of the novel. But it's not all that faithful to begin with. A lot has been changed and it's far more pessimistic, even cynical, than Stoker’s novel.
    Renfield is always crazy, but he seems particularly crazy in this one.
    Renfield is always crazy, but he seems particularly crazy in this one.

Nosferatu was also the start of this popular misconception that the Renfield character was sane before getting in contact with Dracula and that his madness is created by Dracula. I even had to correct my literature teacher in college, telling him that no, the narrator in Dracula's Guest was not Renfield.
    Fredrik_Reinfeldt_-_Sveriges_statsminister_2006-2014.jpg
    The craziest Renfield.
    Huh?
    Fredrik Renfield.
    Ah OK.
    Another top five Dracula is the first proper adaptation approved by the Stoker Legacy and using the Dracula name.

DRACULA (1931)
    Dracula.jpg

Directed by Tod Browning, and starring Bela Lugosi, who had also played the character in a 1924 Broadway theatre play which the film was based on as much as the book itself. Also partly based on the unauthorized German Nosferatu from nine years earlier. (The scene where Harker cuts himself and Dracula draws nearer due to bloodlust is from that film, and not in the book.)

Dracula is Hungarian in this version.

Audience reportedly fainted in the cinema at the time, even if critics claimed the theatre version had been even more frightening.
    As the 1931 English speaking version of Dracula was shot by day, a Spanish version was shot at night by the same studio. Not an uncommon practice in those days. Directed by George Melford, and starring Carlos Villar as Dracula, some think it is better than the initial Anglo-American version. I have not seen it, so cannot judge. Anyone who has?
    As the 1931 English speaking version of Dracula was shot by day, a Spanish version was shot at night by the same studio. Not an uncommon practice in those days. Directed by George Melford, and starring Carlos Villar as Dracula, some think it is better than the initial Anglo-American version. I have not seen it, so cannot judge. Anyone who has?

I've watched it several times, and it's quite fascinating. In many ways, Melford uses more creativity with several shots. Lupita Tovar is certainly intended to be more voluptuous and sexy than Helen Chandler, and Pablo Alvarez Rubio's Renfield seems to be trying to out-do Dwight Frye.
    It's longer than the English version and follows the shooting script more faithfully.
    Carlos Villar looks good in Bela's costume and toupee, but has nowhere near the screen presence of Lugosi.

Overall there's no question I prefer the Lugosi version in spite of it's simplicity compared to the Spanish version. You really can't beat the combination of Bela, Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan. I feel Tod Browning captured a perfectly atmospheric Dracula film without the bells and whistles the Spanish speaking version gives us.

The Melford cast and crew were allowed to watch the Browning shots before they did their take.
    I need to watch the Spanish version. I must confess while I enjoy the Browning version or at least some of its moments I was never a huge fan of it.
    The follow-up to Browning s 1931 movie was DRACULA S DAUGHTER (1936) directed by Lambert Hillyer and starring Gloria Holden as Countess Marya Zaleska, the title character. Apparently based on Dracula s Guest, Stoker s short story, but bearing no resemblance to it (?)
    220px-NanGrayGloriaHoldenDraculasDaughterTrailerScreenshot1936.jpg

Interestingly, the professor s name is here Von Helsing.Bela Lugosi does not appear, but a wax bust in his likeness is used in a scene.

Third out in the Universal trilogy is SON OF DRACULA (1943) directed by Robert Slodmark and starring Lon Chaney Jr as Count Alucard/Dracula.

This is the first film where the count turns into a bat or mist, and the first film where Dracula goes to America. The character Dr Brewster can be seen reading the novel by Bram Stoker.

son-dracula.jpg?resize=180%2C200
    Interview with Elizabeth Miller, always interesting : http://alexbledsoe.com/2009/05/25/interview-dracula-expert-elizabeth-miller/
    That was a good read.
    That was a good read.

She's always interesting.