"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »

Far more menacing and scary than Coppola's Dracula, but far less cheesy or indeed comedic.

Anyway. Anybody else thinks modern werewolves (and maybe zombies too) owe more to vampires than actual werewolves of old?

Yes, that was my point in the previous post.

Anyway, Coppola s film is my fav Dracula, closely followed by the original Lugosi film and the Palance tv film.
    Oh I loathe the Coppola pseudo Dracula!

Off topic but I'd love a werewolf movie or story where they use the old methods of turning into one and forget about the infecting bites.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Off topic but I'd love a werewolf movie or story where they use the old methods of turning into one and forget about the infecting bites.

The old methods being...a gypsy curse?

a gypsy curse?

That would be beggars on every street corner today.
  • DraculaPOD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Yay! Hammer's DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966) will finally be getting a decent blu-ray release in North America this December. (The BD release from a few years ago was marred by an omnipresent brownish tint.)
    DraculaPOD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

I had a teacher in high school who looked like that.

The old methods being...a gypsy curse?

Curse, a Faustian pact, some particularly horrible crime(s).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 13,013
    Okay, a couple weeks ago I watched Blood for Dracula (1974), directed by Paul Morrissey. Joe Dallesandro. Udo Kier.

Didn't really pique my interest, but I admit it had a couple moments I won't soon forget.

The opening titles, with Dracula literally painting his face to look alive.

Dracula licking blood from the floor, and its context.

BLOOD+FOR+DRACULA+v1+Silver+Ferox+Design.jpg
    MV5BMDIyYWU1MzEtOTUwMi00MzQ4LTgzMDYtOTY1MTQ1Zjc1ODUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

CraterGuns wrote: »
    DraculaPOD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Yay! Hammer's DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966) will finally be getting a decent blu-ray release in North America this December. (The BD release from a few years ago was marred by an omnipresent brownish tint.)

Damn. Looks good.

That means I'll probably get this copy too. Right now I have 3 copies of this Dracula film.
    I wish HORROR OF DRACULA would get a North America Blu-ray release. though.
    Okay, a couple weeks ago I watched Blood for Dracula (1974), directed by Paul Morrissey. Joe Dallesandro. Udo Kier.

Didn't really pique my interest, but I admit it had a couple moments I won't soon forget.

The opening titles, with Dracula literally painting his face to look alive.

Dracula licking blood from the floor, and its context.

BLOOD+FOR+DRACULA+v1+Silver+Ferox+Design.jpg
    MV5BMDIyYWU1MzEtOTUwMi00MzQ4LTgzMDYtOTY1MTQ1Zjc1ODUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I've always loved BLOOD FOR DRACULA. Very odd version, and an acquired taste.
    Love the score here.
    In several films, sunlight is lethal for vampires, but in the book it only means Dracula cannot use his superhuman powers.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,334
    Love at First Bite

love%20at%20first%20bite_hypnosis.jpg

I remember watching this daft Dracula take as a kid.
    In several films, sunlight is lethal for vampires, but in the book it only means Dracula cannot use his superhuman powers.

Another of the many false perceptions about the novel.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Nosferatu's fault.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Nosferatu's fault.

I love the movie but yes. There has never been a faithful adaptation of the novel, sadly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Personally, I don't think a faithful adaptation is possible. I have read graphic novels that have tried to adapt the book and even they failed to retain my interest. The book is great but other media have yet to crack the code.
    Personally, I don't think a faithful adaptation is possible. I have read graphic novels that have tried to adapt the book and even they failed to retain my interest. The book is great but other media have yet to crack the code.

That might be it. Still, they adapted relatively faithfully at least some of the Harry Potter books, The Lord of the Rings, Sherlock Holmes, surely they could do a better job for Dracula?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I grew up on vampire movies... basically what you are raised on defines you... my first theatrical vampire movie was Dracula AD: 1972. Then The Night Stalker TV movie. Then Blacula in the theatre. Those three set the tone for me. All in the same year. My 12 year old self was on vampire overload. "Bram Stoker? Who's that"? Sadly, I will never read it. I am a victim of pop culture...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My first Dracula films were Dracula, The Brides of Dracula which is one of my favourites without Christopher Lee, Prince of Darkness, Taste the Blood of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula all from Hammer I must have been around 11 at the time one of my mums friends lent them to me on Beta Max I watched them all within a few days. This led to me watching as many Hammer films as I could find.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My first Dracula films were Dracula, The Brides of Dracula which is one of my favourites without Christopher Lee, Prince of Darkness, Taste the Blood of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula all from Hammer I must have been around 11 at the time one of my mums friends lent them to me on Beta Max I watched them all within a few days. This led to me watching as many Hammer films as I could find.

Taste The Blood Of Dracula is inappropriate for an 11 year old.
  • One of my favorite film versions of Dracula is Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre. One of the many things I find fascinating about this film is that it was shot twice, once with the actors speaking their lines in English and once in German. The two different versions of the film are in fact comprised of completely different takes with their own subtle variations in shot length, performance, and happenstantial phenomena. I can't think of another film that exists like that (though I'm sure there are others).
    chrisisall wrote: »

I thought it was pretty tame to be honest though I could have watched a censored version, it's one of the least memorable in the series, so I assume you only watched 15 rated films after you were 15 that's admirable.

That's an interesting movie, one of the many Dracula Hammer films where I suspect it was not originally a Dracula movie, but they shoehorned the count to sell it better.

It was poorly executed, but I always loved the starting point: depraved and blase upper-class and middle aged Englishmen being tempted to dabble into the occult to add excitement into their life, as their current vices bore them. That's a nice change from the young people or teenagers exploring taboos which we often see in horror films.

PRINCE OF DARKNESS, HAS RISEN and SCARS of DRACULA were the first Lee Dracula movies I saw. I was 7. Didn't catch the others until a few years later.

I was 11 when I first saw it on the tube. A local station played that one, AD 1972 and SATANIC RITES around the same time. AD 1972 is my favorite of that batch. TASTE THE BLOOD is pretty cool, though. Always liked Ralph Bates.
    As far as inappropriateness, I'd say TASTE THE BLOOD is no better or worse than SCARS. I actually saw the ANDY WARHOL version around that time as well.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

PRINCE OF DARKNESS, HAS RISEN and SCARS of DRACULA were the first Lee Dracula movies I saw. I was 7. Didn't catch the others until a few years later.

I was 11 when I first saw it on the tube. A local station played that one, AD 1972 and SATANIC RITES around the same time. AD 1972 is my favorite of that batch. TASTE THE BLOOD is pretty cool, though. Always liked Ralph Bates.
    As far as inappropriateness, I'd say TASTE THE BLOOD is no better or worse than SCARS. I actually saw the ANDY WARHOL version around that time as well.

There are a few Lee Dracula movies that are vague in the memory Scars... and Dracula has risen from the grave I can't remember what happens in them. I have almost bought the Hammer Boxsets a few times, I should revisit the films at the very least for nostalgia.

There are a few Lee Dracula movies that are vague in the memory Scars... and Dracula has risen from the grave I can't remember what happens in them. I have almost bought the Hammer Boxsets a few times, I should revisit the films at the very least for nostalgia.

I love all of them but am partial to SCARS and HAS RISEN from my childhood memories. Staying up late Friday and Saturday nights to catch them. Playing around with the antenna to make sure the station came in decently. Home made popcorn. Fun times.

I love all of them but am partial to SCARS and HAS RISEN from my childhood memories. Staying up late Friday and Saturday nights to catch them. Playing around with the antenna to make sure the station came in decently. Home made popcorn. Fun times.

@ToTheRight did you ever watch Ralph Bates in Dear John TV show, Judd Hirsch was in the American version of the show.

In the UK not sure which country you are from, Jonathan Ross presented a Hammer season that played on weekends when I was younger thats where I was introduced to alot of the Hammer films.

@ToTheRight did you ever watch Ralph Bates in Dear John TV show, Judd Hirsch was in the American version of the show.

In the UK not sure which country you are from, Jonathan Ross presented a Hammer season that played on weekends when I was younger thats where I was introduced to alot of the Hammer films.

I feel like there was a cable station here (possibly A&E) that aired some episodes back in the late '80's and I caught only a bit.
    I'm in the States. Where I grew up there were a couple local stations that would air horror films late nights on the weekends. Often Hammer films or Universal horror.
    Eventually that station stopped and I had to track the films down on VHS.

I feel like there was a cable station here (possibly A&E) that aired some episodes back in the late '80's and I caught only a bit.
    I'm in the States. Where I grew up there were a couple local stations that would air horror films late nights on the weekends. Often Hammer films or Universal horror.
    Eventually that station stopped and I had to track the films down on VHS.

Simpler times back in the 80"s it was good to stumble upon movies and music that was otherwise difficult to watch or listen to, the world has certainly changed.
    My first Dracula was the Jack Palance tv movie. I was scared to go down the basement stairs that night.