"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

• The first eight minutes of BLACULA (showing his origin as a vampire)... Marshall had an incredible voice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1974 saw the release of another Spanish film, EL GRAN AMOR DEL CONDE DRACULA directed by Javier Aguirre. American reissues used the peculiar title CEMETERY GIRLS.

Paul Naschy plays Dracula, who here uses the alias Doctor Marlowe.

• In the English-language dub of COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE, a Transylvanian coachman and an elderly poacher talk like grizzled old Wild West prospectors.
    I haven t seen the film yet, but would like to. Here is the trailer.
    I like the Naschy Dracula film but have to be in the mood for it. I think he made a cool Dracula.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I like the Naschy Dracula film but have to be in the mood for it. I think he made a cool Dracula.

Seems like you are the only one who have seen them all.I like your enthusiasm.
    Anybody has any fanfic ideas on Dracula? I once started a story about him in Scholomance meeting Satan and turning into a vampire.

Seems like you are the only one who have seen them all.I like your enthusiasm.

Thanks! There are some newer ones I've missed. I haven't seen DRACULA UNTOLD all the way through or that series from a couple years ago with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The one I want to watch sometime is Argento's DRACULA 3D with Thomas Kretschmann as the Count. As bad as I've heard it is I have a feeling I'd like it regardless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The mini-series with JRM was neither bad nor particularly great. I enjoyed it. Best thing I can say about it is that it was short enough to remain interesting.

Dracula Untold wasn't too bad either, though it's about as far removed from traditional Dracula as Star Wars is from Citizen Kane. If they had managed to kick off their "Universal Monster Universe" with this one, it might eventually have led us in the proper direction. As the standalone film it is now, it will be enjoyed by very few.
    THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973), directed by Alan Gibson, is the final Hammer film with Lee. No one has played the character as many times as him.
    919X5GF5u3L._SY879_.jpg

The Secret Service is involved in this one. From the Bond films, we recognize Joanna Lumley (OHMSS) and Patrick Barr (OP).
    THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973), directed by Alan Gibson, is the final Hammer film with Lee. No one has played the character as many times as him.
    919X5GF5u3L._SY879_.jpg

The Secret Service is involved in this one. From the Bond films, we recognize Joanna Lumley (OHMSS) and Patrick Barr (OP).

I think I have this one in a movie set (a collection of about 50+ B-films), but haven't watched it yet. Any good?
    919X5GF5u3L._SY879_.jpg

I think I have this one in a movie set (a collection of about 50+ B-films), but haven't watched it yet. Any good?

It's fun, though one could argue it doesn't feel like a Dracula movie. Even Lee himself thought the series had moved further and further away from Stoker.

Still I love it. Lee has a decent amount of screen time (once he shows up), he has a basement of female vampires, and gets quite a bit of dialogue in this one. He even pays tribute to Lugosi in one scene by doing an accent. Also it's the only Hammer Dracula film to feature a scene where Lee is not wearing his cloak.

IMO, Lee looked his best in his last two Hammer outings. The makeup and wig is consistent in the two films ad he looks imposing. Great to see Cushing again as well.
  • Be warned... The version of SATANIC RITES included in those 50-film "public domain" DVD collections is likely to look terrible.
    919X5GF5u3L._SY879_.jpg

It's fun, though one could argue it doesn't feel like a Dracula movie. Even Lee himself thought the series had moved further and further away from Stoker.

Still I love it. Lee has a decent amount of screen time (once he shows up), he has a basement of female vampires, and gets quite a bit of dialogue in this one. He even pays tribute to Lugosi in one scene by doing an accent. Also it's the only Hammer Dracula film to feature a scene where Lee is not wearing his cloak.

IMO, Lee looked his best in his last two Hammer outings. The makeup and wig is consistent in the two films ad he looks imposing. Great to see Cushing again as well.

I'll say it again : the greatest virtue of Satanic Rites is to have Dracula work on a grand scheme. Just that makes the movie far closer to the novel than many, many adaptations.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Be warned... The version of SATANIC RITES included in those 50-film "public domain" DVD collections is likely to look terrible.

Most public domain DVD transfers are not anamorphic so they really look crappy on a wide screen TV.
    The theme from Satanic Rites of Dracula :

Working title for the film: DRACULA IS DEAD...AND WELL AND LIVING IN LONDON.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,295
    Thanks for the info guys – I'll make sure to check out The Satanic Rites of Dracula soon!
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Be warned... The version of SATANIC RITES included in those 50-film "public domain" DVD collections is likely to look terrible.

That wouldn't surprise me. The collection was very cheap, and I guess the image quality will look so too.
    In her show, Joanna Lumley talked about this scene :

Gerard wrote: »
    The theme from Satanic Rites of Dracula :

I love that theme. I like A.D.'72's music as well.
    I love the fact that both of the "modern" Hammer Dracula's are completely different in feel and tone in spite of having the same director.
    COUNTESS DRACULA (1971) is a Hammer production directed by Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula). The main character is the infamous Hungarian Countess Erzsebet Bathory, who lived in the 16th and 17th century.

Here is an online review.
    COUNTESS DRACULA (1971) is a Hammer production directed by Peter Sasdy (Taste the Blood of Dracula). The main character is the infamous Hungarian Countess Erzsebet Bathory, who lived in the 16th and 17th century.

Here is an online review.

I'm a big fan of this one. I always loved Ingrid Pitt. When was a kid, though I was disappointed this wasn't another entry in the Lee series.
    Note: Bram Stoker knew nothing of countess Bathory, in spite of some misconceptions mentioning her as possible inspiration.
    Today, I bought Taste the Blood of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula on DVD. Unfortunately, those were all the video shop had. Oh, and I learnt why it's unlikely we'll ever get a complete boxset : apparently, the rights of the movies belong to several houses (Universal, Warner, Fox), and they can't get along. Same for Peter Cushing's Frankenstein movies, BTW.
    Same for Peter Cushing's Frankenstein movies, BTW.

Frankenstein sounds like a jewish name. Was the monster a golem?
    Made from flesh taken from cadavers, so yes, in a way. But read the novels before watching any of the movies. You'll realize that the monster was more intelligent (and eloquent : he even used the second person singular) that depicted in most of the pics.
    Made from flesh taken from cadavers, so yes, in a way. But read the novels before watching any of the movies. You'll realize that the monster was more intelligent (and eloquent : he even used the second person singular) that depicted in most of the pics.

I did read the novel long before watching any of the movies. My favourite is the Karloff version from the 30s.

Actually that's another misconception: in the original novel it is not specified how the creature is made, although it seems he needs something from corpses. Frankenstein made the creature with harmonious features and body, after all. And unlike the golem he's not an automaton. More like an homunculus.
    Denmark's Claes Bang is Count Dracula in the new BBC DRACULA series. He looks well cast, IMO.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/claes-bang-dracula-bbc-netflix-sherlock-1203038682/