Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd have to pick TSWLM (both are fantastic, but TSWLM just barely edges GF for me, I think) and TLD.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    GF vs TSWLM (GF just doesn't do anything for me)
    TND vs TLD (I like them both, but TLD is #1)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Any film that is anyone s number one here has immunity towards being unanimously beaten by anything.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TSWLM (top 5)
    TLD (top 3)
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    TSWLM and TLD.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Very close. Both icons of the cinema. Yet, Spy, baby!

TLD
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    TSWLM and TLD
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Incredible that TSWLM edges out GF at this very moment

Quite surprising! TSWLM seems to be untouchable! Can't see it myself..always found it over-rated!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Quite surprising! TSWLM seems to be untouchable! Can't see it myself..always found it over-rated!

Better make that two, as of late...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Me, too...I mean three. MR is on the verge of surpassing TSWLM for me.
    Sean's not amused
    asg.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SWLM (first Bond I ever saw and on the big screen, so possibly the reason, it no. 4 on my ranking and I don't rank GF as one of the best, I acknowledge its place, influence and how iconic it is but just enjoy SWLM me more)

TLD (Not even a competition here, a film that seems like it's ripping off SWLM with an inferior Bond and godawful villain. Whereas TLD, great intro for Dalton, one of the best PTS of the series and Barry's swansong. Its not perfect but no Bond film is but it was great to have the Fleming back in Bond again with Dalton's portrayal)
  • GBFGBF
    TSWLM: but it is extremely close. I used to like GE so much more but things have changed a bit recently and I have really learned to appreciate TSWLM

TLD: This is absolutely no contest at all. TLD is and will probably be my favourite Bond film. TND is #21 or #22.

Nice to see so many contributors-we have not had as many before. Thank you all for chiming in. @GBF, you meant GF, right? And not GE?

TSWLM beats GF 18-15

TLD beats TND 28-5

Round 78:

TSWLM vs NSNA

and

FYEO vs NSNA
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Both of the Sir Rog's entries please!
    TSWLM
    FYEO
    Sign me up for that. No contest.
    Easy :

TSWLM

&

FYEO
    TSWLM over NSNA

FYEO over NSNA

Both easy choices for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    TSWLM vs NSNA

FYEO vs NSNA

I'm a rather big fan of the rogue production. Connery is in excellent form, Klaus Maria Brandauer is a chilling villain, Irvin Kershner directs with confidence, and the film does many things first which EON has since aped. It gets better for me on every viewing and despite the distinctly 80s feel, the film has many redeeming qualities, not least Barbara Carrera's deliciously deranged henchwoman. Unfortunately in this instance it comes up against two of Moore's best outings. So despite my appreciation for McClory's sole effort, I have to go with the two official entries in this case.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My bias for Connery is very powerful. Doesn’t take anything away from RM, but more of my weakness to simply wanting to watch Connery “Moore”.

NSNA
    NSNA
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TSWLM over NSNA

NSNA over FYEO
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    TSWLM over NSNA

NSNA over FYEO
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TSWLM

FYEO

NSNA is an incompetent expression of hatred, barfed up by a sour pitbull whose relentless actions were instrumental in Fleming's self-destructive, life-ending behaviour. His incredibly out-of-proportion sabotaging of EON's films is the cause of many problems that the real Bonds would be faced with for decades.

But nevermind that. NSNA is a dull, poorly made film with a vindictive Sean Connery in the lead role and a score so obnoxious it makes Serra's GoldenEye score sound like it deserves an Oscar. The sound and image quality of the film are so low it feels like the movie was put together in somebody's basement in 1952. The screenplay is ridiculous from start to finish, full of insultingly bad moments.

NSNA is the anti-Bond, the product of one man's obsession with effectively reducing EON's legacy to ashes. I can't believe sensible people would choose this amateur job over two incredibly well-made EON films.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TSWLM & NSNA
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TSWLM
    FYEO

Even though I love NSNA, it can't hold a candle to either of the aforementioned films.
    Agree with @DarthDimi , except I like Serra's OST for GE.

My vote goes to Rog & Rog this time.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,314
    NSNA is underrated but it cannot reach the heights of the two towers that are TSWLM and FYEO.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whilst NSNA has its moments, and is an occasional guilty pleasure. It comes no-where near the likes of TSWLM and FYEO.
    Sir Rog takes the round easily.

TSWLM
    &
    FYEO