Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FRWL is a clear winner for me.

MR beats TND.
    - Better score.
    - Better effects, production design, ...
    - Even the plot is better; yes, I wrote that.

This.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    YOLT over FRWL

TND over MR, but I love them both.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    FRWL
    TND
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    FRWL
    TND
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,896
    FRWL > YOLT - Easy pick. FRWL - first Connery film I saw, on the second night of being a Bond fan.
    MR > TND - Close call. Love TND - my first cinema Bond, and first to see twice there.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FRWL
    MR

Both are in my top 5
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FRWL beats everything.
    MR has increased in my favours to the extent that it does rival TND...which I'm more fond of than most. I'd call it a tie if I didn't have to decide. And the winner is.........TND.
    FRWL
    TND
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FRWL
    TND
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    FRWL
    TND
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FRWL
    TND
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    FRWL and MR
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    FRWL vs YOLT - These two films represent such different spectrums of what is possible within the James Bond universe, and they both are highly iconic and memorable. While I can be tempted and even swayed by spectacle often, in this case the more grounded spy thriller is my choice. It's very unique within the Bond canon, whereas the later film has elements which have been used very successfully in later efforts.

MR vs TND - Both of these entries are repetitive of earlier, arguably better efforts. Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan are incredibly confident and smooth in these larger than life entries. There's something about MR which just seems more special to me however - perhaps it's that genuine Gilbert touch, I'm not sure. The film has an air of majesty and grace to it in nearly all aspects - it's there in the ethereal nature of Barry's score (which somehow seems to ground the film in space and elevate it on earth), in the magnificence of Adams's last sets, in the beauty of the almost surreal locations which give the film a romantic flavour, and in the otherworldliness of Michael Lonsdale's epic deadpan villain. In many ways it was the end of an era.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043
    FRWL

MR

Outside of GE I can't stand the PB era so a no brainer for me. MR is far from a favourite but its technical achievements, Michael Lonsdale & Barry's magnificent score make it an easy decision.

FRWL over YOLT is this is a joke? Connery's best up against his second from worst? Don't get me wrong, YOLT's score, cinematography and set design are all top drawer but Connery looks like another actor to the one on display in all his finery in the masterful FRWL.
    FRWL
    MR
    Can I just say how much I hate this particular poll? The best of the Connery era vs my favorite Connery film, and two solid entries from great Bonds.

YOLT

MR

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    FRWL beats YOLT, the later has steadily climbed my rankings, but it's hard for anything to beat FRWL.

As with several others, MR and TND both reside toward the end of my ranking. But despite my displeasure at Bond going into space, MR overall has a better look, sound and pace than TND. It also has a fine performance from Sir Rog, and one of the series best villains in Hugo Drax. Therefore, I'll go with MR
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    YOLT, love FRWL too but I don't want YOLT to get only 2 votes.

and

MR
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,312
    YOLT, love the music, love Donald Pleasance, love the volcano lair

and

MR, love the pre-title stunt, love Roger's performance, love the Rio scenes.
    FRWL
    and
    MR
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FRWL is simply the best and easily defeats YOLT.

While close, MR offers a better overall package in comparison to TND, despite a great first half from the latter.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I have a growing fondness for YOLT, but nothing defeats FRWL.

Technically MR is a superior film to TND, but MR's inanity gets in the way.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    FRWL & MR
    FRWL
    &
    TND
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    FRWL and TND for me.
    Moving on in a few days, so make your votes count.
    FRWL beats YOLT 26-4

MR beats TND 16-14

Round 77:

GF vs TSWLM

and

TLD vs TND
    GF
    TLD
    vzok wrote: »
    GF
    TLD

Count me in for that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    I'm probably going to be on the wrong side of this one by some margin given fans' views, but for me TSWLM soundly beats GF. I love everything about Rog's third and it's a sentimental favourite of mine. GF used to resonate when I was younger, but like YOLT it continues to decline with the passing years and at present I can't see a way back for it. Perhaps in time.

TLD vs TND - these are very different types of Bond films. One is sort of high tech and modern, and the other is almostly quaintly old fashioned and romantic. They are similar for me in the sense that they both have outstanding first halfs which are let down by the later parts. In this case I go with Dalt's first. It's not a favourite of mine by any means, but when it works, it works incredibly well.