Die Another Day vs Spectre.

Comments

QBranch wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    shooting down Ernst's chopper with the PPK's last bullet.
    meh....
    This scene in SP where Bond shoots down Ernst's helicopter gets ridicule here and on other forums for being unbelievable, yet he shoots down helicopters in FRWL/AVTAK/GE, and those scenes never get flak. A real head scratcher there. :-/ I thought the SP one was just as awesome, and if anyone could pull that off, it's Bond!

I think it's the whole thing of chasing a helicopter in a boat!! Just daft. I really like SP, but agree that the final section when they return to England was very badly thought out and handled!
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Spectre. DUD was an embarrassment for years, until I learned to deny its very own existence - Indy4 taught me that one ;)

Wait...what were those films again? Oh, and too bad Pierce only got to do 3 Bond films. What a shame.

Seriously, the only scene I like in DUD is when Brozza arrives in Cuba. And the subsequent minutes until Halle turns up.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There was a Univex reference in DAD. That was pretty lame too. ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Incoherent Spanish....delictatos....Universal Exports
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,677
    There was a Univex reference in DAD. That was pretty lame too. ;)

Ah, good one. Actually that was one of the good scenes, in Cuba right?
    Yep. All Cuba scenes were great; sword fight; abandoned station for abandoned agents; being spied on in the Hong Kong hotel room. Some decent, Flemingesque scenes to be found in DAD - Bond cleaning his gun was a nice touch, even if it turned out to be VR.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Things I like about DAD. Some of these will be controversial:
    •Tamahori's energetic direction, the colorful cinematography, and Arnold's score.

•I actually love the gunbarrel.

•The PTS is awesome. Great music, action, and cinematography. I love the grey filter that's used.

•The title sequence is really cool. Madonna's theme isn't the most appropriate but it's catchy as hell.

•Bond is tortured for over a year and looks like absolute sh*t. However, he quickly moves and isn't psychological scarred. After the melodrama of SF, this is really refreshing.

•The Hong Kong hotel scene.

•The Cuba scenes apart from a few of Jinx's lines and her dive off the cliff.

•Gustav Graves, Miranda Frost, and Zao.

•The London scenes. Blades is fun, I like the abandoned station, and the VR scene is cool.

•The invisible car is indeed ridiculous but I love it.

•The setting in Iceland and the ice palace itself.

•The fake mine.

•The return of the laser watch.

•The scene where Bond confronts Graves and is betrayed by Frost.

•The car chase.

•The switchblade jet gliders.

•Most of the fight between Jinx and Frost.

•Graves' and Frost's deaths.

•The remix of the theme song at the end.

This is all more than I can say of SP. The only things that really hold DAD back for me are some lines of dialogue, the slow mo shots, the CGI, the ice dragster/CGI wave scene, and some parts of the finale.
    @Remington I agree with everything you said there. Besides the laser watch, the return of a gadget ring and breather were very welcome. Bond's mission gadgets (other than the car) were all small, unobtrusive items. I love the ice palace and diamond mine, which I think gets an unfair wrap because of it's poor CGI destruction.
    @Remington I agree with everything you said there. Besides the laser watch, the return of a gadget ring and breather were very welcome. Bond's mission gadgets (other than the car) were all small, unobtrusive items. I love the ice palace and diamond mine, which I think gets an unfair wrap because of it's poor CGI destruction.

Good point about the gadgets. The ice palace/diamond mine has a real Ken Adam vibe which I love.
    Things I like about SP:
    •The gunbarrel being back at the beginning. It's still not done totally right though.

•Most of the PTS. It's actually a little tedious after the first few viewings though.

•The Q scene.

•The Rome scenes with the exception of the car chase.

•Madeleine in bed wearing a nightie.

•The train fight.

•Bond looking out the window of his room in the crater base. It reminds me of OHMSS.

•The meteorite scene and the computer room scene despite the godawful dialogue about Bond's women.

•The scene between Bond and Blofeld through the glass. Also, I love how the scar looks.

•The DB5 ending.

Yeah I'd pick DAD any day.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    How would you fellas feel about the ice wave surfing scene if it had better CGI? Would it still suck in your opinion?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,185
    mattjoes wrote: »
    How would you fellas feel about the ice wave surfing scene if it had better CGI? Would it still suck in your opinion?

I was honestly never bothered by the windsurfing, and quite suprised when I found out how much of a bad rep it gets.

I think it has a lot to do with the EA games. Seeing CGI-Brosnan was as common to me as seeing the real one at that time.

Same goes for the whole sequence really. The games had gotten way more ridiculous by that time.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I never hated the tsunami parachute surfing scene. I still love it to this day, and the scene does sound very Bondian.

Having a bad CGI? That's a different story.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Outside of GE I couldn't give a damn about the Brosnan era and DAD is pretty terrible but SPECTRE definitely causes much more anger in me and sits at my no. 24 spot, so I have to say DAD which would be no. 23 is better than SPECTRE in my view.

edited February 2019 Posts: 6,721
    00Agent wrote: »

I was honestly never bothered by the windsurfing, and quite suprised when I found out how much of a bad rep it gets.

I think it has a lot to do with the EA games. Seeing CGI-Brosnan was as common to me as seeing the real one at that time.

Same goes for the whole sequence really. The games had gotten way more ridiculous by that time.
    I never hated the tsunami parachute surfing scene. I still love it to this day, and the scene does sound very Bondian.

Having a bad CGI? That's a different story.

I like it too. I don't love it, but I like it. Shows Bond being resourceful.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 13,924
    00Agent wrote: »
    Same. Didn't have a problem with the tsunami upon first viewing, and although I noticed it was sub-par CGI later on DVD, it wasn't until joining here in 2011 that I realized how much others hate it. One issue in the film is that the ice is just too blue, and I don't see why they couldn't just have Pierce in front of a green screen of actual tidal wave footage, sans ice cubes. (Ice is extra, man)

Still, love the scene though, especially with Pierce hanging on the cliff edge.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I mean there are no redeeming qualities of DAD. Cgi- okay it sucks. How about the dialogue between bond and jinx. Those scenes are unforgivable. “I got the thrust of it”. That’s 90% of their dialogue. There’s a damn space laser shooting down. These Brosnan films were supposed to be more realistic. At the end the villain puts on an iron man costume and shoots electricity. YES forgive me but I will say that it is objective that the boring and forgettable spectre is far superior to DAD
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    They should have had the whole tsunami dragster scene cut out and went straight to the car chase. Graves could have easily shown his true Icarus demonstration. Would have been cool to see Bond dodge that and Zao at the same time.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 1,778
    Thanks everyone! I knew I wasn't misremembering things. I checked in a few times back in the fall of 2015 and I could swear the general reaction to Spectre was very positive. Better than even Skyfall's back in 2012. Granted I've been largely absent for a few years but I have to say I'm alittle taken aback by this massive shift in the board's general opinion of Spectre. I can understand it's losing it's luster after a while but to see so many members choosing DAD (an almost universally unpopular Bond film) over it is definitely a surprise to me.

I could understand if this were TND vs. Spectre as TND is a super fast-paced 90s action movie fun enough to enjoy but is smart enough to restrain itself from dipping it's feet into the back-bending cartoon absurdity that is the second half of DAD. Spectre had it's problems, sure. But never did it once make me cringe or struggle to justify my Bond fandom to non fans. For instance, I was at my cousin's house about 5 years ago for Thanksgiving. We decided to retreat to the parlor for a while for drinks and DAD was on TV as it was the Thanksgiving Bondathon. It got ridiculed by my family as a few of them looked to me, knowing of my affinity for James Bond, and I honestly couldn't defend it. All I could say was that it was a low point for the series and that the movies are better now. I just couldn't imagine the same situation happening if Spectre was on TV.
    And BTW these are some of the same family members that I watched TSWLM with as a kid and they all enjoyed it.
    I remember the humour in SP got a lot of praise upon release. Many were delightfully surprised by a different performance from Craig, more jovial and jokey, and the general vibe was that he was channeling Moore. There was a bit of buzz around that moment with the Fiat driver in Rome and the couch gag.

I think the renewed/newfound interest in DAD is down to the fans waiting so long for B25, that they've grown tired of Craig's era - coupled with the fact that this realistic take we've come to know will inevitability go out of fashion, for something more lighthearted and fantastic. Once again, we come full circle, history repeating and such.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 1,405
    Here we are, Bond fans writing in a Bond forum. I can't understand all the hate here for Specter. Craig's last outing is VERY good. Strong cast, strong acting, good action, 2 hours passing by fast.

No mod edit CGI sequence, no incongruity, no pedestrian acting, no waste of time with so-called "tribute" to former Bond movies, no silly scene like a Tarzan yell, no Marc Forster nonsense, no lead actor being coached, trained or taught by the Bond girl how to act and I could go on an on and yet, many "fans" here takes pleasure to discredit an awesome Bond movie.

It comes down to the point where I question if some members here posting are really Bond fans. Want to blubber about a truly mediocre film, try Megalodon or any Pirates of the Caribbean.
    The other one is a pretty good Bond movie with flaws, the other a stupid videogame type of a trash movie with few good parts.
    There’s a damn space laser shooting down. These Brosnan films were supposed to be more realistic.

Were they really? Did they state this?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @JohnBarryFan , I would suggest we don’t start questioning who the “real “ Bond fans are. That never goes well.

+1

@JohnBarryFan, what is the definition of a Bondfan as they come in many guises of movie, books or comics. There are fans that love the various faces of 007 and some others less. Every Bond-movie, book has gotten his fair share of criticism and some more than others. That is the face of a decent 007 forum if you cannot take any criticism perhaps you are better of talking to a mirror.
    Anybody on this forum is a Bondfan it is the ones that criticize their fellow fans for being a fan that I have my doubts about really. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @JohnBarryFan , I would suggest we don’t start questioning who the “real “ Bond fans are. That never goes well.

+1

@JohnBarryFan, what is the definition of a Bondfan as they come in many guises of movie, books or comics. There are fans that love the various faces of 007 and some others less. Every Bond-movie, book has gotten his fair share of criticism and some more than others. That is the face of a decent 007 forum if you cannot take any criticism perhaps you are better of talking to a mirror.
    Anybody on this forum is a Bondfan it is the ones that criticize their fellow fans for being a fan that I have my doubts about really. ;)

+2. Plus, defending SP while knocking "real Bond fans" by putting down aspects of countless other installments in the series seems a bit hypocritical and disingenuous. It's all subjective, there's no defining what makes a "real fan."
    I love all the films. That's real enough for me. ;)
    I love all the films. That's real enough for me. ;)

I love some more than others.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's all subjective, there's no defining what makes a "real fan."

Though some fans are definitely not real. Right, Mr. Crumples?

Mr. Crumples?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's all subjective, there's no defining what makes a "real fan."

Though some fans are definitely not real. Right, Mr. Crumples?

Mr. Crumples?

Plot twist: You were Mr. Crumples the entire time.
    Was his first name Apple?