Die Another Day vs Spectre.

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Very interesting statistics. Thanks, @w2bond .

@Thunderfinger, Thanks. I've corrected some mistakes and cleaned it up
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    @JohnBarryFan are you saying the SP car chase is better than the DAD chase on the ice ?

By all means yes. The DAD car chase is a parody, it never ends and lacks drama.
    On the other end, the SP chase is supported by a tremendous score and Rome's background. I especially enjoyed Bond's chat with Moneypenny while trying to escape with is life.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    @JohnBarryFan are you saying the SP car chase is better than the DAD chase on the ice ?

On the other end, the SP chase is supported by a tremendous score and Rome's background. I especially enjoyed Bond's chat with Moneypenny while trying to escape with is life.

While I agree with you regarding which chase is better, I don't re the phone call. Daft idea to interrupt a car chase with a phone chat!
    The second half of the chase where Bond and Hinx descend the steps is a vast improvement on the entire ice chase.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The DAD car chase is a parody, it never ends and lacks drama.
    Make that travesty.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,405
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Brosnan’s performance kept DAD in check to me ,all the fun chaos around him and he WAS Bond ,and it’s a rollercoaster ride x every now and then Bond films have to let off steam ala MR ,YOLT .

SP tried to be the ultimate Bond film and failed dramatically, DAD wanted a celebration of 40 years and got it.

Good post.

I coudn't disagree more. Brosnan should have refuse to play for such a mediocre script. Althought I like and respect his talent as an actor (Dante's Peak and Mrs. Doubtfire being his best work) I will ever hold it against him to have agreed to play in DAD. DAD a celebration? What celebration? We saw some objects from other Bond movies pass by and some sequences played for the second or third time like a bad rerun (the Zao death sequence in reference to Alec's death in Goldeneye by far being the worst). You call that a celebration?

DAD is home to the worst hour of Bond movie ever produced and fed to the public.

@w2bond very interesting stats. Spectre really has quite a spread across each point of the league table. Thanks for your hard work
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,131
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    DAD beats SP each and every time easily.

No it doesn't.
    Just for balance!!

SP is much better.....to tip the scales.
    To add to the stats re non-Bond websites, here are the current customer ratings from Amazon for DAD and SP.

Amazon UK shows 235 reviews for DAD, Amazon USA has 787, 214 in Germany. There's 3170 for SP in the UK, with 16,040 in the USA, 1557 in Germany.

% Star reviews 5-4-3-2-1

DAD (UK) 43-15-14-12-16
    DAD (US) 43-25-12-11-09
    DAD (GER) 32-21-16-12-19

SP (UK) 58-16-12-07-07
    SP (US) 47-25-15-07-06
    SP (GER) 31-17-19-15-18

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

One of the more shockingly asinine moments of all 24 Bond films.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

One of the more shockingly asinine moments of all 24 Bond films.

I disagree, it shows Bond's brain fonctionning at full speed even while being pursued.
    He's able to evade Mr Hinx attempt to catch him and at the same time dig deeper into the shadowy organisation. Well played if you ask me.
    The spectre car chase was boring. It's like they had a few prototypes of two supercars and had to be precious with them, therefore performed a few driving tricks (wouldn't even say stunt), and lack of gadgets is a cheap gag that provides no satisfaction - it's like they had no budget to trick them out, or the point about few prototypes.

Score is partly a rehash of skyfall that wasn't any good to begin with. A Barry score would have made any scene in spectre better
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 13,022
    I disagree, it shows Bond's brain fonctionning at full speed even while being pursued.
    He's able to evade Mr Hinx attempt to catch him and at the same time dig deeper into the shadowy organisation. Well played if you ask me.
    I'm with you, @JohnBarryFan. That contact is also used against them later by C, further putting the screws to Bond and MI6.
    Spectre is the far superior film and overall a very underrated film in the series. I believe it will be appreciated more as the years go by. Die Another Day on the other hand is the most schizophrenic entry in the franchise that gets worse as the years go by. Only Brosnan and a couple of good set pieces make it watchable.
    Spectre plays out like a routine episode of [insert crime procedural series here]
    Die Another Day is like a [insert C grade Sci Fi movie here]

Take your pick.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thank you. Through all the negativity towards this chase scene, you are perhaps the first one to mention this - something I had understood all along. It's not about trying to top previous car chases, it's about Bond actually doing his job - investigating - whilst being chased. My only criticism of this scene is the lack of people about. As Brofeld would say, "Most odd."
  • Isn’t it supposed to be about 2:00 AM in the morning during the Rome car chase in SP? The meeting didn’t begin until midnight, and apparently had been going on for some time.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,405
    I might add that the phone call to Moneypenny works particularly well, demonstrating that Bond went from being a "blunt instrument" in CR to using his brain whatever the circumstances in SP. Even more so "driving up the point" because the mission originate from M.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,726
    It's true that the scene shows Bond to be quite competent, and I happen to enjoy it as it is, but perhaps it might've been better if they hadn't combined the chase with the advancing of the plot, since the one aspect is undermined by the other. Having Bond investigate while being chased robs the chase of tension and excitement, and having him being chased while investigating reduces the sense of intrigue regarding the identity of Oberhauser.

Having said that, I think it was way more important to have more cars in the streets! But I do like the scene. There's an energy, a breeziness and a sense of humor to it. Craig plays it perfectly. "At this time of night?" And the last section, by the riverside, is fantastic.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It's true that the scene shows Bond to be quite competent, and I happen to enjoy it as it is, but perhaps it might've been better if they hadn't combined the chase with the advancing of the plot, since the one aspect is undermined by the other. Having Bond investigate while being chased robs the chase of tension and excitement, and having him being chased while investigating reduces the sense of intrigue regarding the identity of Oberhauser.

Having said that, I think it was way more important to have more cars in the streets! But I do like the scene. There's an energy, a breeziness and a sense of humor to it. Craig plays it perfectly. "At this time of night?" And the last section, by the riverside, is fantastic.

Agree totally
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this lol. During the sex scene between Bond and Jinx, what the hell is she eating? I've been wondering that for years.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Remington wrote: »
    Guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this lol. During the sex scene between Bond and Jinx, what the hell is she eating? I've been wondering that for years.

That was a fig. This is from an interview:
    Halle said later that "there I was trying to be sexy and seduce Pierce, when I suddenly start coughing my guts up and choking on a piece of fig".
    One of the risks of feasting like there's no tomorrow.
    And a mouthful.
    A car chase that enables you to have a long phone conversation is not a proper car chase. If an action scene doesn't have urgency it doesn't work, and if it's spent puzzling over out plot points instead of advancing them, then it's a dud. So is any car chase that breaks midway through to show a character opening the fridge in their cosy apartment. A great way to lose momentum, urgency, and any sense of threat.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »

That was a fig. This is from an interview:
    Halle said later that "there I was trying to be sexy and seduce Pierce, when I suddenly start coughing my guts up and choking on a piece of fig".

Lol thanks.
    Revelator wrote: »
    A car chase that enables you to have a long phone conversation is not a proper car chase. If an action scene doesn't have urgency it doesn't work, and if it's spent puzzling over out plot points instead of advancing them, then it's a dud. So is any car chase that breaks midway through to show a character opening the fridge in their cosy apartment. A great way to lose momentum, urgency, and any sense of threat.

Exactly. Its as exciting as Usain Bolt texting during his race
    w2bond wrote: »
    Exactly. Its as exciting as Usain Bolt texting during his race
    That would actually be entertaining to see.
    The car chase in Rome was set up to have lighter moments and advance the plot. More intense action and content come later.

I like it fine as is.
    You think I'm the only viewer to feel that way.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I don't mind the car chase either. I don't like the opera man though. Fine for the Moore era and things of that nature needs to stay there and perhaps more cars would have added some quality to it. However, If I want to see a more hectic version, I'll watch the one at the beginning of Kingsman 2.