The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    All right, taking stock of the participants we have thus far:

@Birdleson, @Dennison, @PropertyOfALady, @Mrcoggins, @Thunderfinger, @Strog, @GoldenGun, @DarthDimi, @thelivingroyale, @patb, @RichardTheBruce, @vzok, @Murdock, @JamesBondKenya, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, @Tuulia, @Agent_99 and @barryt007.

Including myself that makes 19 people.

Other folks that I think may be interested are @DaltonCraig007, @chrisisall, @Master_Dahark, , @CraigMooreOHMSS, @bondjames, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, @ToTheRight and @Legionnaire, who I will try to reach through PM to ask more directly.

In the meantime, a few of us have made our list of five films and everyone else can follow suit when they are ready. I will stress again, make sure you order your list of 5 films such that #1 is the one you are most enthusiastic about all the way down to #5. I say this because it'll take a long time to get around to you after the first rotation occurs and if you're passionate about a particular movie it only makes sense to have it watched before others in your list.

I figure we'll take the next week to get all the members who want involved to finish their lists and prepare for the first scheduled film viewing. When all the lists are done I will take all the names of our members into a randomizer, order them and then edit my original post in this thread with a schedule listing the order of all the movies that we'll be watching alongside the name of the member who will be leading the discussions at every passing of two weeks.

It seems that members want to start with Memento first, a selection of @JamesBondKenya, so he will be our first in the order and the randomizer will order everyone from the second position onward. People can get a head start on finding Memento now, as the goal would be to kick things off the Monday after next, August 28th.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Very interested. And like others on here will contribute as much as time allows :)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,985
    My 5 for your consideration....

1. Witchfinder General (Michael Reeves 1968)
    2. Kill List (Ben Wheatley 2011)
    3. Thief (Michael Mann 1981)
    4. Deliverance (John Boorman 1972)
    5. eXistenZ (David Cronenberg 1999)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm not sure I will be able to commit. Thinking about it, the start of the new school year may bring some hectic weeks to my agenda and furthermore, I'm not the only one to decide which movies are watched that day. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2001, Leon, Manhunter, High Noon and Apocalypse Now are all in my possession. I will come up with a list during next week. It should be films I can get access to myself, so I will have a look around for a few I have in mind. If impossible, I will pick from my collection.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Replied to the message I was sent. I will certainly participate when time allows, although it may not be every movie that comes up. If that's agreeable then I'm in.
    Very interested. And like others on here will contribute as much as time allows :)

Ditto for myself. Great idea by the way, Brady!
    The American has such a surprisingly touching ending. Great film.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - thanks. Sounds good regarding this thread.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest any more general discussion, news etc. for this thread, I understand your ideas for it, and that's plenty already. I just mentioned (probably shouldn't have) that it would be nice to have that sort of discussion places as well, I've always thought it's a pity we don't. However, I've always assumed that there isn't enough interest or a thread (or indeed several threads) would already exist (since forever). There are other sites that have various stuff we don't have here, so I just go elsewhere for that stuff, and news and discussions. I understand the focus here is specific - first everything Bond, of course, then other franchises, and plenty interest in action. This isn't a general movie forum, and the type of stuff that is here surely reflects the tastes and the interests here, and I understand that. I'm just sort of an outsider that has stubbornly stuck around for a few years - I won't be starting any threads myself. I'm obviously aware of the thread you linked, and have posted there occasionally, but often I feel like an alien there myself, so I don't even follow it most of the time. I recently briefly considered posting a trailer I liked there, but when I visited the thread and saw what was there I decided against it - figured folks wouldn't be interested anyway. But I mean I understand that, and I just try to navigate my way around.

Lots of great films already suggested and some I've never heard of as well, which is also interesting. Getting to see whatever stuff is another thing entirely, but it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
    Great idea for a thread! :-)
    Will try to make a top 5-list soon. I don't know which films to include, as there are (too) many that could make the top 5. To make it easier, I will try to do a top 5-list, based on the latest viewings of some of my all time favourites.

I will not have the opportunity to participate with every film, as I fear that there are titles mentioned that I won't have the chance to get, or stream. As we all know, titles on Netflix and other streaming services may vary from country to country, etc. I will however use this thread to find films I might want to watch on another occasion!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Torgeirtrap, I'm having the same issue, I don't know where to begin with formulating a list. Do I go for fan favorites? Well-loved films? Obscure titles I figure hardly anyone has seen? I'll crack one out eventually.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It doesn t have to be a favourites list. I have already looked for some obscure films online that I don t own, but would love to se again with no luck. Have to think of something else.
    I agree, 5 seems like... impossible. I don't know. This is where a certain theme or time period or something might be useful. If it's choosing from every movie ever that's... that's... I make themes even for myself (I have several going simultaneously, but still) or it would take ages to even pick a movie to watch in the evening...
    @Creasy47 Glad I'm not alone there! There are some obscure ones that could be on the list, but luckily, some of my all-time favourites are very accessible (Hitchcock, for example). Also, there are some guilty pleasures that could make the list. Not revolutionary in filmmaking, but some fun films I like to revisit now and then. What about those?
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, I'm having the same issue, I don't know where to begin with formulating a list. Do I go for fan favorites? Well-loved films? Obscure titles I figure hardly anyone has seen? I'll crack one out eventually.

Me too. I'm trying to come up with films that: a) I think a majority haven't seen; b) are worth watching and could generate interesting discussion; and c) are commercial enough to be fairly widely available. That third one kind of clashes with the first one and has ruled out some cool possibilities—much as I think Possession (1981) is a film everyone should experience at least once. ;)

Like with DarthDimi and some others I have a loaded schedule ahead and can't promise to commit to every film (or know that I'll be able to find every film), but in these lists I'm already finding films I'm either already very fond of or have been meaning to get to (or hadn't been thinking about but that just sound interesting). @JamesBondKenya, I do believe you will get me to watch my first Bollywood film!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agreed, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. I'm sure most of us won't be able to participate every hour of every day, but yes, I'm eager to join in as often as possible, and hopefully we're all lucky enough to go with films that are (somewhat) easily accessible for most of us.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,600
    Happy to go with the flow so wont come up with my own 5 but, being selfish, The American is a good start IMHO as it is very conventional, has many references to other movies to discuss and is in the same genre as Bond so a gentle start before we get more extreme. It is also regared as a "sleeper".
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    With my job it not easy to commit to anything I work unsociable hours that change frequently, though when I have time off ill contribute
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for the push to join, @Brady. Am very much looking forward to being a part of this thread. Reminds me of being back in college!

I'll have my list ready by lunchtime tomorrow - struggling to narrow it down to five films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    All right, I've messaged a lot of people in the last day and, as of now, we have 30 total members involved in this right now, with others still deciding.

I honestly never expected this thread to pick up or garner so much participation, which is why I recommended five movies as the maximum number for members to have in their lists; I thought only ten of us would be involved and it'd be sensible to get through fifty or so films for the first rotation.

However, now that we have so many people joining on, it seems that asking each member to choose five movies feels extremely nonsensical and/or strange. That would mean, if everyone currently involved did their list, we'd have 150 films alone to watch in the future just from the first five rotations, and that seems too large a number for the immediate future of the group, given that it would take years to get through those first lists alone.

So, I thought I could offer a correction to members who've done lists (which is 8 of us) and those who are still trying to come up with lists in light of the change to the participant pool that this thread has had in the past days. I feel like the only way to go forward with the group and film recommendations now is to ask all those who've made lists and who are currently trying to make them to select just one movie each that they want to share with the group. That way the first rotation of movies will only be thirty films long instead of five times that size doing it the previous way. I know it'll be even harder for interested people to go from thinking about five movies to selecting just one, but I think people could understand and/or agree why it's now illogical to make such big lists. With everyone selecting just one film that means that the movies that the other members picked in their lists (the remaining four from each) are available to be picked by other members, so that we can have a good range of films open to us. I know that a lot of the films already taken in those lists are those that would be selected anyway, so it makes no sense to cancel them out.

How do people feel about this change to the plan? Of everyone selecting just one movie they want to share instead of making a list of five? With around 30 films at the start of this journey that would put this first rotation of movies past a year in length of watching and discussion, and it seems ridiculous to go any farther than that with so many people on board. I know so many of us adore films and it's hard to pick just one to lead discussions on when our time comes, but I see no other way to approach this hurdle at this point.

If people do agree with this change of mine, of those who have made their lists already, including @JamesBondKenya, @PropertyOfALady, @RichardTheBruce, @Strog @GoldenGun, @thelivingroyale and @LeonardPine, I would ask them to select just one film from their lists that they would like to share, while letting the other movies go with the chance of them being selected by other members.

If I had to pick from my list I think I'd still settle on The Maltese Falcon despite my interest in sharing others, for how fundamental a movie it is to the medium and its own native genre. High Noon, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now and The American would all be open for selection by others in light of this, which I hope they would be for the discussions they could ignite.

Since yesterday we've had @LeonardPine and @Torgeirtrap join as steady or mostly regular members, while @Agent007391, @Shark_0f_Largo, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, @ToTheRight, @bigladiesman, @mattjoes, @ClarkDevlin, @bondjames and @CraigMooreOHMSS are all members who are only able to commit off and on but who still want to be involved at some point.

Of the members above I welcome @Torgeirtrap to offer his film selection, but of the other members who are only unofficially or infrequently planning to be involved, I will give them the choice of whether or not they want to choose a film to add to the group or if they simply want to let other members choose the films for them to watch week to week. I know that @bondjames doesn't want to make a selection and is willing to go by what others want to watch, and I realize that other members who are signing on for tentative participation may want to do the same and just go with the flow of what others are suggesting for the first rotation of films.

In some ways it would be beneficial if not every member picked a film if they didn't want to, as that would lower the already gigantic amount to a more reasonable level. With everyone who is officially involved we'd have about 20 films in the schedule if everyone picked one each, and just 5 more members making a selection would give us a number that would last us around one full year, which would be a nice round number. That being said I only want those who aren't interested in suggesting a film to take this action, and those who want to be involved should feel welcome to no matter the final number we end up with.

I know this was a long post and I apologize for that, but I'm trying to get some thoughts in order to figure out a way for the group to adapt to the changes that've come in participation to make the creation of a final list of films more reasonable for all involved. As always, please address any concerns or feedback from the above information that you have in a post here and I'll get to answering it the best I can. The goal is to make this group flexible for members and their schedules and needs, so feedback and suggestions will go a long way towards realizing that end.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm good with that, Brady, and with that in mind, shall pick A Night to Remember (1958).
    One movie each is a much better idea IMHO
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,786
    I stand by my #1, La notte ;)
    Think i'll go with, Kill List (2011)

A little seen film that blew me away when I first saw it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Think i'll go with, Kill List (2011)

A little seen film that blew me away when I first saw it.

Great choice. Low budget gem.
    People seem to be selecting more underrated or unknown films, and it's kind of got me questioning my own choice. I think the purpose of the group here would be more interesting if it went beyond well known cultural films and instead touched on ones that were great but never get talked about much. It seems a bit imperfect for me to then select The Maltese Falcon, a film I'm sure that most members here have seen at least once or have at the very least heard of constantly for its importance to the medium.

Perhaps the other choice I had in mind, the lesser known but nonetheless interesting noir The Detective (1968) would be a better selection? It has interesting content relevant to our times, represented an interesting film style and pushed the Hayes Code of its day in what story it told. But more than that, I don't think many here have seen it, as I've discussed it before on the forum and found some seasoned noir fans who'd yet experienced it. What do people think?

(If anyone else is having trouble selecting a movie for the group, feel free to address your quagmire here as I have to receive some possible assistance or feedback)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I actually had a themed list of aviation war movies lined up, so you can all thank your lucky stars you've been spared that :)

From those five, I've picked:

Dark Blue World (Jan Sverák, 2001)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I actually had a themed list of aviation war movies lined up, so you can all thank your lucky stars you've been spared that :)

From those five, I've picked:

Dark Blue World (Jan Sverák, 2001)

That name sounds Czech or Slovak, am I correct?

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    That name sounds Czech or Slovak, am I correct?

Yes! It's a Czech film about Czechoslovakian pilots flying for the RAF in the Battle of Britain. Deserves to be much better known IMHO.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 17,280
    One film? This is getting really difficult!
    No, to be honest, I think it might work just as good. For whatever reason, the film that each person chooses, will be an important film, or a film which is just a really good movie experience (or both!).

I'm having trouble choosing that one film. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to end up with a somewhat well-known title no matter what. Had a look through my movie collection, and couldn't find a lesser known title to compete for the #1 spot. Am I allowed to choose a well-known title?