The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

The downtime of the forum yesterday gave me the time to think about which film to choose. I considered The Ipcress File, but it's Bond connection almost felt like cheating - choosing a film so close to what the forum is mainly about. Bullitt was another one, and a top three-film of mine.

Although Bullitt would be an obvious choice, I have to go with Inherent Vice. I've only seen it a couple of times, but I found it very enjoyable. Also, it's quite new, so it should be available on DVD/Blu-ray, to stream and download. Could be interesting to hear people's thoughts about this one!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, I'm personally beyond pleased to see so many films selected with a noir bent, in amongst the others. Should make for some interesting comparisons once we go along.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Struggling between a few choices that I love to talk about.

Robert Mitchum's terrifying beastly performance in CAPE FEAR.
    De Palma's best film with Pacino, CARLITO'S WAY.
    Hungarian drama film, WHITE GOD.

Love Cape Fear, head and shoulders above the nasty remake! Mitchum scares more with one look than any of DeNiros shouting!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    that's naturally going to be an issue with some people's selections, a few of which have been European films that won't be available as easily in a nation that doesn't share the native language of the film in question; ie. like mine.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about mine. I have a second choice that should be more widely available, if it turns out to be an issue.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    that's naturally going to be an issue with some people's selections, a few of which have been European films that won't be available as easily in a nation that doesn't share the native language of the film in question; ie. like mine.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about mine. I have a second choice that should be more widely available, if it turns out to be an issue.

No offence but if I see a film I cant get hold of or it would be a chore then I wont bother with it.
    I'm really limited on time.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,786
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Great choices, to my shame I have to admit that I have yet to watch the original Cape Fear, but I'm even more thrilled about White God.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I'm sure we'll all have back-ups in mind if that happens.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Love Cape Fear, head and shoulders above the nasty remake! Mitchum scares more with one look than any of DeNiros shouting!
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Great choices, to my shame I have to admit that I have yet to watch the original Cape Fear, but I'm even more thrilled about White God.

Much obliged, chaps.

Glad someone else has seen White God, @GoldenGun. A very powerful film that deserved a lot more attention than it received.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,786
    The curse of the foreign film I'm afraid, mate ;)

I'd be more than happy to do something about that though, and as Sir Sean would say: "This should be a suitable starting point."
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    After a lot of thought I am going to go with Zindagi na Milengi Dobara. Its an indian film so subtitles are needed. Ever since my friend showed me this one Ive loved it. Its got an extremely strong screenplay and the way it captures you into the stories and lives of the characters is unparalleled. Its a more fun easy going, feel good movie. Its always ranked in my top ten and Id like to share it with all you cinema goers to see what your opinion is on this foreign film
    Guys...can we just pick a movie and progress?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Memento has already been picked for viewing during next week. I guess Brady will have a list up before the week is over.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I thought this was supposed to start 28 August.
    Yes, next week.
  • JamesBondKenya revoked Memento though, unless that's somebody else's choice. JamesBondKenya's choice is Zindagi na Milengi Dobara.
    Oh yeah, we shall await a list from Brady then.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Late to the party but I'm interested in participating.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    patb wrote: »
    Guys...can we just pick a movie and progress?
    People have been, but I don't have you listed for one either. Any film that strikes you, or do you want to forego a selection, as time if running out?
    Minion wrote: »
    Late to the party but I'm interested in participating.
    Good to have you, @Minion. If you could select one film to add to the selection (if you wish) that'd be grand.
    JamesBondKenya revoked Memento though, unless that's somebody else's choice. JamesBondKenya's choice is Zindagi na Milengi Dobara.
    I've spoken to @JamesBondKenya privately and decided that, if the selection of Momento is widely supported, we can start with his choice if demanded. I gave him a second choice to pick what he wanted when some members jumped the gun and chose for him.
    Oh yeah, we shall await a list from Brady then.
    As good a time as any to address this, as we've got a weekend left before this could kick off.

Of all of the people who've expressed interest in joining the thread, we still have these members who have yet to make a film selection for entry into the group:

@Birdleson, @Dennison, @Mrcoggins, @DarthDimi, @patb, @RichardTheBruce, @vzok, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, @Tuulia, @Lancaster007, @Risico007, @QsAssistant, @ClarkDevlin, @bigladiesman, @ToTheRight, @Minion and @CraigMooreOHMSS,

I will leave it to the above members to decide whether they want to add a movie to the pile or let others select, as some have chosen, but I would ask that they make a post here to state their plans so I can cross them off the list either way.

For those still making selections, here are the films chosen thus far and who made them:

@PropertyOfALady:
    A Night to Remember (1958)/ Dir. Roy Ward Baker

@GoldenGun:
    La Notte (1961)/ Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni

@LeonardPine:
    Kill List (2011)/ Dir. Ben Wheatley

@Agent_99:
    Dark Blue World (2001)/ Dir. Jan Sverák

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns:
    Kiss Me Deadly (1955)/ Dir. Robert Aldrich

@barryt007:
    The Omega Man (1971)/ Dir. Boris Sagal

@thelivingroyale:
    Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)/ Dir. Stanley Tong

@Mathis1:
    Southern Comfort (1981)/ Dir. Walter Hill

@Murdock:
    Death Wish 3 (1985)/ Dir. Michael Winner

@SharkBait:
    The Big Lebowski (1998)/ Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen

@Strog:
    Knife In the Water (1962)/ Dir. Roman Polanski

@Creasy47:
    Munich (2005)/ Dir. Steven Spielberg

@mattjoes:
    Sea of Love (1989)/ Dir. Harold Becker

@Thunderfinger:
    Rumble Fish (1983)/ Dir. Francis Ford Coppola

@Torgeirtrap:
    Inherent Vice (2014)/ Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson

@JamesBondKenya:
    Zindagi Na Milengi Dobara (2011)/ Dir. Zoya Akhtar

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7:
    The Detective (1968)/ Dir. Gordon Douglas

Time is running out, so decisions should be made in the next few days for the parties remaining. Once I have everyone who wants to make a selection listed and accounted for, I'll do the ordering and things will be finalized so we can kick it all off. My first post in the thread will be edited to reflect the list and order of the films so that members can keep up with the timeline as we go.
    Nice to see our list laid out like that. A promising bunch! I'm excited.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've been very busy. I'll try to get on it, but don't wait for me. Sorry. Behind on our Book Marathon too.

It's no big deal. I'll order all the names regardless and will be able to just add what movie you pick after the fact. Having all the names of those interested is the important fact.
  • I'm planning on choosing a film. I'd finally narrowed it down to 5 (with another 5 in the wing, and another 5 after that) when we cut it down to 1! So I'm weighing a few options. Should have a decision soon.
    I'll probably do the ordering for the list early Saturday with the randomizer so that each member knows when their turn is. At that time I'll give everyone the final chance to change their choice depending on how long they'll have to share a film, then it will all be finalized for Sunday as we head into Monday.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Exciting times!
    Here is my choice

The Red Shoes (1948), dir. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,600
    My nomination:

"Midnight Run" (1988) Dir: Martin Brest
    Did someone choose White God?
    vzok wrote: »
    Did someone choose White God?

@vzok, @CraigMooreOHMSS was deliberating on it as one of his picks, but he hasn't decided yet.
    patb wrote: »
    My nomination:

"Midnight Run" (1988) Dir: Martin Brest
    That one was really funny.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    COCK_UP