The MI6 Community Film Club For Cinephiles [On Hold]

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    patb wrote: »
    My nomination:

"Midnight Run" (1988) Dir: Martin Brest
    That one was really funny.

That is a brilliant film ,as is my back-up : 'Frantic' (1987) ,directed by Roman Polanski and starring Harrison Ford.
    VERY under-rated.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Happy to see your pick of The Omega Man[i/] @barryt007. Have you seen the modern I Am Legend based on the same source?
    Not even close to the atmosphere and the desperation that Chuck feels ,and the organ music throughout adds serious spookiness to the whole affair ..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Not even close to the atmosphere and the desperation that Chuck feels ,and the organ music throughout adds serious spookiness to the whole affair ..

It'll be my first watch of it, so I look forward to the viewing.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It'll be my first viewing for every one of these except A Night to Remember.
    barryt007 wrote: »

It'll be my first watch of it, so I look forward to the viewing.

It wont let you down.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,271
    Good selection have seven of the films mentioned so far, I have over a thousand movies and then some. Are the films listed in order of viewing?
    Good selection have seven of the films mentioned so far, I have over a thousand movies and then some. Are the films listed in order of viewing?

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, tomorrow I'll take all the names of the participants into a randomizer and get the final order that way, and that will be the full list/schedule of the films and when they'll be watched.

The list above was just a random order I've compiled any time a member has suggested a film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brady s randomizer
    pick-from-hat1.jpg
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    My nom:

Vampire's Kiss (1988); Directed by Robert Bierman
    Brady s randomizer
    pick-from-hat1.jpg

If I had the money I'd travel the world with a bunch of crumpled up numbers in a hat, stopping by everyone's native land to have them make a pick. I'm left doing it the easier, albeit more boring, way.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, tomorrow I'll take all the names of the participants into a randomizer and get the final order that way, and that will be the full list/schedule of the films and when they'll be watched.

The list above was just a random order I've compiled any time a member has suggested a film.

That's good I am off work for ten days so will get involved with the first film
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    patb wrote: »
    My nomination:

"Midnight Run" (1988) Dir: Martin Brest
    That one was really funny.

Why aren't you popular with the Chicago police department?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Please dont get me started with Midnight Run quotes (not fair on the thread)

"chorizo and eggs"
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    vzok wrote: »
    Did someone choose White God?

@vzok, @CraigMooreOHMSS was deliberating on it as one of his picks, but he hasn't decided yet.

Make that a final decision for me, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

White God it is.

@vzok, @CraigMooreOHMSS was deliberating on it as one of his picks, but he hasn't decided yet.

White God it is.

If you are in the UK, White God is on Film 4 this week.

White God it is.

If you are in the UK, White God is on Film 4 this week.

Cheers for that will record it
  • barryt007 wrote: »

I haven't seen TOM all the way through (and am looking forward to it), but for me, I Am Legend adaptations begin and end with Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth. Really the closest to the original novel we've gotten, I think. A pretty darned good film in its own right from the era of Night of the Living Dead. A proto-zombie film in many ways.
    In A Lonely Place (1950)/ Dir. Nicholas Ray
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    ...for me, I Am Legend adaptations begin and end with Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth. Really the closest to the original novel we've gotten, I think.
    I'm a follower of the versions of the Richard Matheson novel, disappointed by the big Hollywood version. My grown kids are haunted by the Vincent Price film, I didn't realize how terrifying it would be for them when they were younger.

The recent film THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS takes a lesson from Matheson with how the story is resolved. Maybe in a more inclusive, 21st Century way, but still.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    My pick:
    The General (1928)/ Dir. Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman

Very available for viewing. Spies, action, based on a true story.
    And don't worry, the Confederacy are portrayed as the bad guys.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Amazing film. Arguably Bogie's best performance ever, which means it's a stellar performance.

Great choice!
  • My pick:
    The General (1928)/ Dir. Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman

Got some real classics on this list!
    Nice to see Bogie finally get on the list. We could make up a whole list of just his films, he was so versatile. Very much a jack of all trades performer who did it all.
    It was very hard to pick one movie. My first thought was to pick the movie I have watched most outside of Bond. But I can pick that next round if we ever make it that far.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If it is still possible, i'd like to put forward a choice, School For Scoundrels (1959).

So how does this work? Is it like a sort of film on trial, where when it is our turn, we make our case, and then everyone else chimes in with their thoughts?
    If it is still possible, i'd like to put forward a choice, School For Scoundrels (1959).

So how does this work? Is it like a sort of film on trial, where when it is our turn, we make our case, and then everyone else chimes in with their thoughts?

Just got in as I was radomizing, @MajorDSmythe.

How it works is this:

When it's your turn (there will be a set order of when each member will present their film) you can share what you find compelling or special about the film and why you picked it in a non-spoiler couple of paragraphs (optional) and then for two weeks we'll all watch your chosen film and discuss it. The member that selected the film of that period can take it upon themselves to lead discussion in areas they find fruitful a times (what do we think about the actors, director, story, etc), as their passion and/or knowledge of the film could lead other members who aren't as familiar with the movie to uncover some of its ideas, messages, conventions, etc. But again, this is up to the person and not mandatory.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ok, sounds straight forward enough.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694
    All right, I've randomized the list of members and their films and placed the final order below as it came out. The first time I ordered it JamesBondKenya would've ended up going back to back so I went for a second reorder with the results as they are now to be fair to everyone and to keep a new member presenting a film each week:

1.) @JamesBondKenya:
    Memento (2000)/ Dir. Christopher Nolan

2.) @GoldenGun:
    La Notte (1961)/ Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni

3.) @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7:
    The Detective (1968)/ Dir. Gordon Douglas

4.) @Minion:
    Vampire's Kiss (1988)/ Dir. Robert Bierman

5.) @Thunderfinger:
    Rumble Fish (1983)/ Dir. Francis Ford Coppola

6.) @SharkBait:
    The Big Lebowski (1998)/ Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen

7.) @JamesBondKenya:
    Zindagi Na Milengi Dobara (2011)/ Dir. Zoya Akhtar

8.) @QsAssistant:
    13 Assassins (2011)/ Dir. Takashi Miike

9.) @Birdleson
    (Unchosen)

10.) @Murdock:
    Death Wish 3 (1985)/ Dir. Michael Winner

11.) @MajorDSmythe:
    School For Scoundrels (1960)/ Dir. Robert Hamer

12.) @Agent_99:
    Dark Blue World (2001)/ Dir. Jan Sverák

13.) @Strog:
    Knife In the Water (1962)/ Dir. Roman Polanski

14.) @thelivingroyale:
    Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)/ Dir. Stanley Tong

15.) @Shark_Of_Largo:
    (Unchosen)

16.) @patb:
    Midnight Run (1988)/ Dir. Martin Brest

17.) @mattjoes:
    Sea of Love (1989)/ Dir. Harold Becker

18.) @DarthDimi:
    (Unchosen)

19.) @ToTheRight:
    His Kind of Woman (1951)/ Dir. John Farrow

20.) @Fire_and_Ice_Returns:
    Kiss Me Deadly (1955)/ Dir. Robert Aldrich

21.) @Legionnaire:
    The Sand Pebbles (1966)/ Dir. Robert Wise

22.) @Dennison:
    The Red Shoes (1948)/ Dir. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger

23.) @Tuulia:
    (Unchosen)

24.) @Lancaster007:
    (Unchosen)

25.) @Risico007
    (Unchosen)

26.) @Mathis1:
    Southern Comfort (1981)/ Dir. Walter Hill

27.) @CraigMooreOHMSS:
    White God (2014)/ Dir. Kornél Mundruczó

28.) @LeonardPine:
    Kill List (2011)/ Dir. Ben Wheatley

29.) @bigladiesman
    (Unchosen)

30.) @barryt007:
    The Omega Man (1971)/ Dir. Boris Sagal

31.) @RichardTheBruce:
    The General (1928)/ Dir. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman

32.) @Some_Kind_Of_Hero:
    (Unchosen)

33.) @Mrcoggins:
    (Unchosen)

34.) @Creasy47:
    Munich (2005)/ Dir. Steven Spielberg

35.) @ClarkDevlin:
    (Unchosen)

36.) @PropertyOfALady:
    A Night to Remember (1958)/ Dir. Roy Ward Baker

37.) @bondjames:
    (Not Making a Selection)

38.) @vzok:

39.) @Torgeirtrap:
    Inherent Vice (2014)/ Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson

I'll give anyone who may want to make a film change a couple of days to use the opportunity, then I'll post the list in the first post I made in this thread for everyone's reference as we go along. This'll go on for a long time, but it should be interesting.

Additionally, for those who've yet to make a film selection (listed as "Unchosen"), I'll update the list when you give me that information. Of course I would expect each member to have a film selected at least a month before their turn to give people the chance to get the film.
    Cool I have Memento special edition with the option to watch the film in scene chronological order