Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    To me, Captain Marvel is Billy Batson, not some chick.

There's a crazy history of copyright behind all that mess. In this PC world, it'll not be long before Billy Batson becomes Becky Batson, and Shazam along with her.

Wasn t Captain Marvel even a muslim? Or am I mixing things up?
    Gerard wrote: »
    And for me, it's that guy :

29-7.jpg

Guess our version is the one who was active when we started reading comics, right ?

Yes, that is very obvious. I started reading comics in the early 70s.
    Wasn t Captain Marvel even a muslim? Or am I mixing things up?

Nope. That's Miss Marvel. This girl :

3977508-ms.%252Bmarvel%252B-%252Bkamala%252Bkhan.jpg
    Right. Did we ever see a religious super hero in DC or Marvel before?
    There are a few, but religion is mentioned only in passing. Still, you get that one,for example. Meet Nun-of-the-Above, from Xombi :

nun1.jpg

Or Warrior Nun Areala :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNEYX7ITe5e-hFUnMVV_Ic70BTUb8Eldbb3gDz5wm0kCYXB0lh

Or The Magdalena :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRHph4N4rqV69u8C1uJxkAlIn-VjoF75veVq9qKSTwoAzbJBUG4g
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Thunderfinger, I believe Matt Murdock was very open about his Catholicism in the comics. No overtly religious heroes come to mind for me, though.

I don't know if they're ever made Superman religious. Ma and Pa are very devout, and at times have called him a gift from an implied God, but with Clark being a god himself I don't know what he'd believe.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Carol Danvers has been around since the late 60s, debuting a year after Marvel's original Captain Marvel. Numerous characters have held the title and Danvers is as legitimate as bearer of the title as Mar-vell is.
    http://deadline.com/2017/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-opening-international-box-office-1202077856/

UPDATE, FRIDAY: Zooming in 29 offshore markets, Disney/Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 has amassed $22.3M at the international box office through Thursday. After bowing with $6.6M on Tuesday in just three hubs (which each had holidays), GOTG2 moved into a further nine on Wednesday — notably France — and then 17 more yesterday (including Germany and Brazil). The scores are showing the ragtag space family running considerably ahead of the original Guardians Of The Galaxy, as well as other Marvel Cinematic Universe sequels, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Thor: The Dark World.

Australia currently leads offshore with $6.2M after bowing on Tuesday’s Anzac holiday. France, which chimed in on Wednesday, is at $2.7M; Italy (also a Tuesday bow) has plunked down $2M so far; Germany joined the fun yesterday with $1.5M; and Brazil also got in on the action Thursday with $1.2M. Those are the Top 5 markets on the James Gunn-helmed pic thus far.

The initial numbers have been somewhat bolstered by the Australia/New Zealand and Italy holiday Tuesdays, and the position versus comps will begin to clarify as more markets experience regular play. In the same hubs where GOTG2 is debuting this weekend, the first film grossed around $65M at current exchange rates. Thor: The Dark World bowed to $85.4M and Captain America: The Winter Soldier to $67.6M, also at today’s exchange. This one will go higher than all three (and it’s notable that in some markets, it’s opened bigger than Captain America: Civil War).

Here’s a look at how yesterday’s play breaks down:

Germany‘s opening day was $1.5M at No. 1 with 66% market share for the 2nd biggest start of the year, behind Fate Of The Furious. That was 29% ahead of Guardians Of The Galaxy, 21% ahead of The Avengers and 30% ahead of Captain America: Civil War.

Brazil‘s launch was $1.2M for No. 1 and a huge +95% on GOTG.

The Netherlands blasted off to $500K, the No. 1 start of 2017 and the 2nd highest MCU opening day ever behind only Civil War (+83% vs GOTG).

Taiwan grossed $600K for +78% on GOTG; Hong Kong was $300K at 24% over GOTG; and Singapore also rocked in with $300K for 14% above GOTG.

Austria took in $200K at No. 1; 2nd biggest MCU debut behind Iron Man 3; +51% on GOTG.

There are another host of markets opening today, including the UK, Spain and Mexico. We’ll have an update on those tomorrow.

This is definitely on track to hit a $Billion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @doubleoego Correct me if I'm wrong, but if/when 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' crosses the billion mark, that will make it the 1st MCU film to cross that mark without Downey Jr in the cast?
    That is indeed correct.
    Who needs Downey Jr if they got Kurt Russell?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Who needs Downey Jr if they got Kurt Russell?
    Kurt's on fire these days. I was impressed with how sharp he looked in the recent FF8. The man is aging very well and looked almost as good as he did in Tequila Sunrise (1988). Alec Baldwin is another one who can do wonders for a film. Charisma kings.
    Defenders Trailer

That looks kind of fun.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Chadwick Boseman‏Verified account @chadwickboseman

“The purpose of training is to... toughen the body, & polish the spirit.” - Ueshiba #blackpanther #bts

The fights in this film are going to blow people's minds. When the legend that is Marrese Crump is your fight trainer
    , you're going to mess people up and look awesome doing it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Haha, sweet. Can't wait to see the real deal, sped-up version.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    I saw GOTG2 on Thurs night and really enjoyed it. Though I don't think it has much competition in this department, I feel it is one of the most emotionally impactful Marvel films yet. This film is mostly driven by the characters' arcs and relationships rather than a generic origin story or copy and paste plot. Even though the film does meander quite a bit, I think I can say I like this one more than the first GOTG.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just saw Guardians Vol 2 and I loved almost every second. There were little moments that just didn’t work well for me. The additions to the cast, some I'd heard about, many I hadn't --
    Ving Rhames, Michelle Yoah and the fucking Hoff!

-- which really helped to spice things up. The movie was just exactly what I wanted, needed and asked for. And then there was Groot. Hilarious, adorable Groot. They are milking Vin Disel for all he's worth with that voice.
    And then there’s angsty teen Groot.
    Is it too much to ask for more of him in Guardians Vol 3?

All in all, yet another solid addition to the MCU, more great songs to download later, and two hours of solid fun.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 533
    I just saw "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2". I was very impressed by the strong characterizations in the movie and how it emotionally developed the main characters.

On the other hand, I was not that impressed by the plot. I found it a bit lame in compare to the 2014 film. Despite the weak narrative, I still managed to enjoy it.
    @doubleoego Have you seen it yet? I'm curious to see what some other members here thought of it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 likely to be released in 2020 according to James Gunn.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 likely to be released in 2020 according to James Gunn..

Count me in for that!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Spider-Man: Homecoming' clip:

After the trailer, I see no reason to watch anything else.
    @doubleoego Have you seen it yet? I'm curious to see what some other members here thought of it.

I was at the UK premiere! Fantastic movie. Very funny and highly entertaining. It focuses less on plot and more on the characters and visually it's superb. Baby groot dancing to Mr Blue Sky really put a smile on my face.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Uh, great clip but one big problem, why the hell didn't his spider-sense alert him that someone was in the room? That's one of the things his SS protects him from.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Depending on the nature of his spider-sense, that is. Ultimate Spider-Man's spider-sense only kicked in when the danger was seconds from happening.
    Since Holland's Peter has only just gotten his powers, they could use the whole, "Your senses aren't developed enough yet," excuse.