Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just realized the 1st official poster wasn't posted on the thread yet:

C9Dp3J9XsAAHIwj.jpg
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Death looks off the chart some incredible shots in Ragnarok trailer.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hey Snyder, look at all that colour!
    Hate to admit it Marvel just blew DC out of the water with that trailer.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    They did it nine years ago.
    Loving the look of Ragnorok!! :-bd
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the 70's vibe of the logo. Makes me think of this.
    star_trek_the_motion_picture_logo.png
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It reminded me of the logo for Far Cry Blood Dragon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Very cool looking, saw it early on today. It looks like the right mix of fun and serious, and I love how Thor characteristically is pumped to be reunited with an old pal in a battle arena where he can show off a bit.

I also now know why they gave Thor a cut before he went into the fight: in the battle arena he wouldn't want an enemy to grab him by his lovely locks and swing him around like a doll. Basically like what Hulk did to Loki in Avengers tower.
    Or it´s a hommage to Mad Max ;-).

doubleoego wrote: »
    Snyder?? That´s more color than all previous Marvel films together. Snyder goes for a completely different vibe, so no need for demanding more color from him.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Or it´s a hommage to Mad Max ;-).

That arena looks a lot more fun than Thunderdome!

Snyder?? That´s more color than all previous Marvel films together. Snyder goes for a completely different vibe, so no need for demanding more color from him.

Yeah, no. Disagree.

Yeah, no. Disagree.

Agreed. When someone makes the blue color of Superman's suit look like a mixture of dirt and bog water, it's time to call in the cavalry.
    Precisely!

On another note:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love Elizabeth Olsen.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767

Yeah, no. Disagree.

Agreed. When someone makes the blue color of Superman's suit look like a mixture of dirt and bog water, it's time to call in the cavalry.
    Now that is something that goes way beyond the idea of colours.
    But my main point is: Can we please drop this idiotic Marvel vs DC contest? If DC films piss you off, sorry. I´m not saying I adore them. But some days I´m getting just so sick of again reading who´s dick is longer. Marvel films have enough flaws on their own.

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    But my main point is: Can we please drop this idiotic Marvel vs DC contest? If DC films piss you off, sorry. I´m not saying I adore them. But some days I´m getting just so sick of again reading who´s dick is longer. Marvel films have enough flaws on their own.

That may be asking a bit too much of @doubleoego
    Marvel vs DC is the Infinity War. It's been raging since the beginning, it'll rage until the end. Regardless of which company's movies do better in the end.
    As viewers we can enjoy both DC and Marvel

Yeah, no. Disagree.

Then state your main point instead of making stuff up; and contrary to yours and @Seven_Point_Six_Five misinformed assumptions I don't advocate a dick measuring contest between Marvel/DC. There's more than enough proof that I support both in doing well but imo, WB so far with their DCEU are doing an overall inferior job and I'll call their crap out. Marvel aren't perfect but I've got a lot less to complain about with them. #Facts.

Yeah, no. Disagree.

Then state your main point instead of making stuff up; and contrary to yours and @Seven_Point_Six_Five misinformed assumptions I don't advocate a dick measuring contest between Marvel/DC. There's more than enough proof that I support both in doing well but imo, WB so far with their DCEU are doing an overall inferior job and I'll call their crap out. Marvel aren't perfect but I've got a lot less to complain about with them. #Facts.
    Where did I make stuff up?

Yeah, no. Disagree.

I don't concern myself wtih DC vs. Marvel "battles" of faith. I've always said it was stupid. But I think it's clear to anyone who knows the characters that Marvel at the very least have them right, and DC's/WB's films do not. Regardless of the flaws each have (which Marvel obviously has less of), Marvel's films are better realized visions because they at least know what their characters stand for and who they need to be.

That's what people like @doubleoego and myself are saying. We want both DC and Marvel to do well, because we love characters from both sides, but we're not going to suck up everything they give us and say we love it when the films are badly scripted and realized to an obvious degree.
    Nothing of all that makes it necessary to call for Snyder to do what Marvel does. Snyder clearly has his own preferences when it comes to things like colour and basically everything else. There is no sense in complaining that he doesn´t understand the characters when it is obvious that he doesn´t want to do them as in the comic books.

Perhaps to anyone who knows the characters it is clear that Marvel have them less digressing from the source material, but that doesn´t have anything to do with making good films. Connery´s Bond is different from the source material to a large degree, namely by not dwelling on thoughts much and by showing a lot of humor, yet I would argue that the early Bond films improve a lot on the novels, which on the other hand doesn´t diminish my fun when reading the novels.

So, if DC makes films that don´t make sense by themselves, that would be a good reason to ignore them. But in the end, neither DC films nor Marvel films do make a lot of sense as standalone films.
    Nothing of all that makes it necessary to call for Snyder to do what Marvel does. Snyder clearly has his own preferences when it comes to things like colour and basically everything else. There is no sense in complaining that he doesn´t understand the characters when it is obvious that he doesn´t want to do them as in the comic books.

Perhaps to anyone who knows the characters it is clear that Marvel have them less digressing from the source material, but that doesn´t have anything to do with making good films. Connery´s Bond is different from the source material to a large degree, namely by not dwelling on thoughts much and by showing a lot of humor, yet I would argue that the early Bond films improve a lot on the novels, which on the other hand doesn´t diminish my fun when reading the novels.

So, if DC makes films that don´t make sense by themselves, that would be a good reason to ignore them. But in the end, neither DC films nor Marvel films do make a lot of sense as standalone films.

There's sense in complaining when the DC films have Snyder at the head, who often has the brain of a teenager on acid and just approves things because they look cool. His entire style can be summed up by the mantra that if it looks cool, it works, even if it makes no sense in doing so. There's no logic or sense to him, and it's reflected in the work itself.

Believe me, as one of the people who knows who these characters are, it's very clear that Snyder isn't concerned with making proper superhero films. He wants to have Batman kill not to say anything important about a crime-ridden society or how good men can turn bad when the world refuses to form to their perfect image of it...he just wanted to have a bunch of action where Batman whipped cars around and stabbed, shot and blew up people. Like so much in his films, it's all soulless.

I would approve of a series of films where the characters don't act as you expect, like a murderous Batman, but they have to actually be good films and succeed in telling a compelling story. There's not a lot of depth in BvS, and when it's attempted it's laid on thick and feels fake. It's the equivalent of someone who uses a week's worth of definitions from their "Word of the Day" calendars to try and sound smart among higher-brain folk in high-brow discourse. You can tell they don't really have it in them.

In Nolan's Batman films I followed him along on his journey into who that character was and how he could be deconstructed, because I could see quite clearly the thought and care he put into everything in those films. When Snyder attempts the same thing, it's laughable. There's no nuance, no depth, not even enough intellectual content to be called mildly pretentious. If he wanted to tell an interesting story, he should've, but clearly he's unable to go beyond loud action and embarrassing special effects. But it's too late now and that's just how it's going to be. Here we stand on the cusp of what could be another blunder of his, and the DC cinematic universe has already blown through the best Batman/Superman story of all time without bothering to adapt any meaning from it, and even worse, has disgraced the Doomsday arc that would've been the ultimate way to show Superman's true character in a later film when he actually likes the heroes he works with.

I give Snyder the right to be different, but he needs to make that different actually mean something, and have it amount to a smart and deep interpretation on the material. What we have now is action figures smashing together in front of a shoddy green screen, and that's boring.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 11,139

Thor's new trailer has more views in less than 48 hours than the number of views JL got in 2 weeks!

It's the most viewed Disney trailer in 24 hours ever and The Hollywood Reporter says it's had over 136 million views in under 24 hours.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/thor-ragnarok-trailer-is-marvel-disneys-watched-ever-24-hours-992978

Just focusing on YouTube views alone, Thor has over 15 million views, while JL right now has only 25 million.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Josh Brolin will play Cable in 'Deadpool 2':

http://collider.com/deadpool-2-cable-josh-brolin/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Josh Brolin will play Cable in 'Deadpool 2':

http://collider.com/deadpool-2-cable-josh-brolin/

He was in the running for Batman at the DCEU. I would've loved to see in the role, as he's far more capable.
    Nice, after name dropping just about every actor in the world for Cable, they hit us with this, and it's PERFECT!

This casting reminds me of when they first cast the Netflix Punisher: I never would have thought of it in a million years, but once they put it in front of me it was so obvious! :)
    ....wait a second though.... isn't he Thanos?
    ....wait a second though.... isn't he Thanos?

Yes. And he was Jonah Hex. He's been everywhere in the superhero verse, and nearly cast at DC on top of it.