Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    New trailer for Spiderman: Homecoming to be released tomorrow.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    New Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer is coming tomorrow

That's what he said !

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Apparently the Venom film will be rated R. Look at you, Sony, trying to be Fox.
    Gerard wrote: »
    That's what he said !

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yikes! I honestly didn't see it. I think I was on the previous page when I made my post.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    According to James Gunn, Thor: Ragnarok has the ''best trailer ever for a Marvel film''.
    Ragnarok is going to be HUGE!
    Captain America Cameos In Spider-Man: Homecoming!!

giphy.gif
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Hold on here, a legitimate cameo or just like Ant-Man's appearance as video of the airport fight from Civil War?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Trailer has arrived:

Awesome!

Honestly, i liked this trailer a lot more than Justice League. A whole lot more. Marvel/Disney will end up securing another $Billion with this. This is becoming an embarassment of riches.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Not bad. It seems to have more of the vibe of the earlier Maguire Spider Man films from the 00's, which is a good thing. It also reminds me of the Flash tv series.

Still, there is a sense of deja vu & overexposure for me here, which is unfortunate. This most impressive & beloved of Marvel characters has been misused of late, and I believe the Bat is about to encounter the same scenario over at DC.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm going to skip the trailer, as I think I already know too much. It hasn't blown my socks off, but I think it'll at least be a "good" film, if not great. I don't think it has a chance of beating Spider-Man 2 to become my favorite Spidey film, so I'll need to set my expectations accordingly.
    I've said this elsewhere, I think, but one area where EON is getting trounced by Marvel (and MI, and FF, etc) is in the period between films.

In terms of actual product they're delivering, but it's become very, very rare to hear EON say "we've got some great ideas for the next one and we can't wait to get to work!" Wrist-slashing comments aside, even I'd like to hear more excitement from the creative team, from the actors . . . from anyone, really, to get people optimistic and eager for the next movie.

Marvel aren't perfect, of course, but they've got this kind of salesmanship down pat.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    That's the business side of showbusiness; salesmanship and PR. If actors want to be "actors" stick to theatre or small indy films. But when it comes to blockbusters/tentpoles, one isnt just an actor or a producer/director etc, you're a salesman, afterall, they're trying to get people to come and pay to see the thing. The Bond name can only do so much but the people need to be able to hype and sell the movie, which EoN are mostly good at when it comes to their pre-filming press conferences. But where it really counts, is the press tour, there's a lot left to be desired, especially from Craig who makes it obvious he doesn't want to be there.
    Agreed.

I'm not so naive that I believe that, say Tom Cruise or Robert Downey Jnr are just so full of passion for their latest franchise project. But they get out there and shake hands and kiss babies and effectively gin up some excitement all the same. Ditto Feige.

EON, take note!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Great Spiderman Homecoming trailer though midway I was thinking I should not be watching it, trailer gives away key Plot points.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 533
    Captain America Cameos In Spider-Man: Homecoming!!

Is this going to end up as a replay of "Captain America 3", with a lot of unnecessary appearances by Marvel characters in a solo film? I mean . . . Iron Man will be a supporting character in this film, as well.
    Saw the trailer and just nope I could care less for spiderman homecoming now...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Is it because of all the polish, entertainment value and adherence to the comic mythology?
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Re the SM Homecoming trailer, I admit I understand that some guys are taken out of the experience of a film by bad CGI.

And again, I wish I could see acting and characters such as Keaton´s in a film without superpowers...
    doubleoego wrote: »
    That's the business side of showbusiness; salesmanship and PR. If actors want to be "actors" stick to theatre or small indy films. But when it comes to blockbusters/tentpoles, one isnt just an actor or a producer/director etc, you're a salesman, afterall, they're trying to get people to come and pay to see the thing. The Bond name can only do so much but the people need to be able to hype and sell the movie, which EoN are mostly good at when it comes to their pre-filming press conferences. But where it really counts, is the press tour, there's a lot left to be desired, especially from Craig who makes it obvious he doesn't want to be there.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Agreed.

I'm not so naive that I believe that, say Tom Cruise or Robert Downey Jnr are just so full of passion for their latest franchise project. But they get out there and shake hands and kiss babies and effectively gin up some excitement all the same. Ditto Feige.

EON, take note!

I can see your points and obviously there needs to be some actors from big projects who don't mind being part-time shills, but one of my favorite things about Dan is that he doesn't whore himself out in that way. If he's excited, you can tell, and if he's not, he's not. He won't put on a face just to do it, and it clearly hasn't hampered Bond's box office at any rate. I know many, including myself, who respect his approach to interviews where he avoids answering the same old things and speaks honestly when he's pushed. In an artificial world, I would want a Dan in my corner more than a Cruise or Downey, though I like the both of them too. It's just that Dan fits my private, abrupt and almost painfully honest kind of personality, and I respect people in the industry who can still be successful while not compromising for anyone.
    That's the thing, one has to be able to know when to draw the line. Press touring isn't easy. It's physically draining and can be mind numbing, especially when anserwing the same questions over and over AND over again dealing with "journalists" who are beyond stupid. I remember during the SP press tour this silly cow who was persistently pushing for Craig to do that pout he does and he didnt wantvto do it...it was just so embarrassing what this woman was doing. Then, I think it was for Iron Man 3 Downey walked out on an interview because the interviewer was deliberately trying to get a rise out of him by bringing up his drugs fuelled past and his relationship with his dad.

In principle, promoting a film on these press tours is a skill in and of itself and is another side, a delicate side to showbusiness but of course there are moments where these actors are faced with real scumbags who try to sabotage their efforts in what is already an arduous undertaking. Being an actor for these tentpole movies isn't always easy; but I guess it's one of the reasons why they get paid the big bucks.

@doubleoego, I was just watching a lot of Daniel's old Bond interviews tonight as a way to unwind, and more often than not I was embarrassed for him when he was faced with thick-headed interviewers. On his face you can just read, "Christ, kill me now." I love rewatching them for the comedy of them all, but I genuinely feel bad for him every time, knowing his personality and how I'd act the same way in that position. One interview I watched for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo saw a woman compare the film to the action of his Bond films, catching him majorly off guard, and then, at a loss for what to ask next, the woman then randomly asked him what his favorite Christmas memory was (as the film was out around the holiday). Yikes.

You are right to say it's a craft in itself to be able to do these long interview junkets, and it's all down to personality. Downey is essentially the king of public entertainment and salesmanship, simply because he oozes charisma and loves the camera as much as it loves him. His personality makes him born for it.

Dan on the other hand is about as opposite from Downey as humanly possible, being a private and quiet man who isn't willing to go out and parade himself around. He's a lot like Sean in that way, because if you look at 60s interviews Sean often has the same air of, "Why do I have to do this on his face?" His bad reaction to fame was often visible at these points, and he'd elect to not speak of Bond at times on top of it as he just couldn't be bothered. I think the only ones truly good at all the trials of film promotion were Roger and Pierce; I'd add in George but I've never run into much interview footage of him, though I'm sure he got excited about being broadcast everywhere as the biggest character of the day. Roger is that kind of people person and can speak with people in gab mod well, just as Pierce can; it helps that they both have a very nice charisma, with Roger's English propriety and good humor and Pierce with his Irish charm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Timothy often chose not to give interviews, and did so sparingly whenever he could.

I don't want to get off topic, but I find it fascinating to study how each Bond actor promotes their films, and how their styles or personalities differ and effect how interviews go. I should start up a thread on this, if there isn't one already.
    Oh, Sony. If you thought the studio's idea of making a bunch of random spin-off Spider-Man films without Spider-Man in them was a stupid move, get a load of what happens when they let Amy Pascal speak in public without a muzzle:

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-2-mcu-marvel-sony/#amy-pascal

I've never seen a studio so allergic to making money.
    Trailer has arrived:

This looks a lot of fun! :-bd
    Is it because of all the polish, entertainment value and adherence to the comic mythology?

ok lets discuss this

Polish... Meh really I guess the CGI is ok
    Entertainment Value... up to the individual and seeing Spider-man Again in high scgool (when he was only in High school for what 2 3 years in the comics) is boring
    Adherence to the comic mythology???? Yeah cause Vulture look exactly like the comics oh wait nope he looks like a piss poor Iron man rip off... Shocker seems like this films Rhino .... and that is from the trailer...

Over all if its for you great it just isn't for me

Yeah Sony are in full self destruct mode.

I just don't get it. I mean, it's not rocket science we're dealing with here. These ass clowns are just intent on massacring everything they touch. It looks like they want to go ahead with a venom movie, a black cat and silver sable team up movie and after the sequel to spider-man Homecoming, they may end the partnership with Marvel Studios so spidey can no longer be part of the MCU???? How much fail do they need in their lives? Tom Rothman needs a spear thrown at and lodged in his head!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm surprised Pascal is still employed anywhere.

I think they're just desperate. The market is fragmented and Marvel/DC own the game right now with superheroes and SW. Sony needs a tentpole to compete, and sadly with Bond in apparent limbo due to those idiots at MGM with their never ending issues it looks like they're moving onto other things.