Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not sure how I feel about the wacky colors. Unless the planet Thor is on is home to a dye factory that exploded. Only then would any of that make sense.
    Really looking forward to Ragnorok though the lighting and colours look a bit cheap in those photo's.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I'm not really digging this style so far. It feels cheesy and fake.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is something about a Norse god with hairgel and modern razor patterning that looks off.
    Yes not sure a plastic foam looking shield appeared in Baldur's dream.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Marvel fans need to watch Legion this show is something else, this show is bloody amazing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Not a surprise, but James Gunn has confirmed that a 3rd Guardians of the Galaxy film will happen.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    The fact that he's thinking about the preliminary details for the next couple of weeks and the film won't come out until 2020 at the earliest just goes to show how prepared and focused things are over at Marvel and the tight ship that Feige runs. EoN maybe an old dog but they can certainly stand to learn new tricks. This is how you plan when you know what you're doing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego 2020 also the earliest for a Dr Strange sequel? Unless Marvel starts releasing 4 films per year, haha.
    A 2020 release for Strange 2 is possible but I doubt Marvel will release 4 films a year. That's overkill haha! For 2020 I could potentially see Strange 2, Black Panther 2 and Guardians 3.

Also BO estimates are in for GOTG Vol 2. BO.com's Long Range Forecast estimates $160 OW/$400 DOM!

Jeez. Those numbers are Huge! Speaking conservatively, this will make no less than $900 million WW when it's all said and done. A $Billion is easily reachable. Damn.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,691
    @doubleoego when you think about it, irrespective of quality, it's insane how many flagpole franchises, blockbuster hits were made in the last 10 years. I mean, in 2007 we had Batman Begins, 3 Spiderman films, 3 X Men films, Fast & Furious were not the juggernaut they are now, Tom Cruise was in the middle of a slump, Liam Neeson's leading action star career had not started yet, Chris Nolan wasn't the huge deal he is now (IMO he exploded when he made TDK and Inception).

And now look. F&F have 3 (soon 4) huge B.O hits, Tom Cruise is making major action/adventure/sci fi films left and right, Neeson is churning out action flicks at a regular basis, Keanu Reeves is a major star again thanks to John Wick, people like Lee Byung Hun, Iko Uwais and Donnie Yen are now world-wide superstar, older stars like Gibson, Denzel, Stallone and Arnie are having late career resurgence, Dwayne Johnson has 20+ big budget films he's planning on doing, we have multiple films for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, we have a film with both Batman and Superman, and soon more sequels for Dr Strange, Black Panther, Ant- Man, Deadpool, even more Spiderman films, X Men films, solo Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, and who the hell knows.
    @doubleoego when you think about it, irrespective of quality, it's insane how many flagpole franchises, blockbuster hits were made in the last 10 years. I mean, in 2007 we had Batman Begins, 3 Spiderman films, 3 X Men films, Fast & Furious were not the juggernaut they are now, Tom Cruise was in the middle of a slump, Liam Neeson's leading action star career had not started yet, Chris Nolan wasn't the huge deal he is now (IMO he exploded when he made TDK and Inception).

And now look. F&F have 3 (soon 4) huge B.O hits, Tom Cruise is making major action/adventure/sci fi films left and right, Neeson is churning out action flicks at a regular basis, Keanu Reeves is a major star again thanks to John Wick, people like Lee Byung Hun, Iko Uwais and Donnie Yen are now world-wide superstar, older stars like Gibson, Denzel, Stallone and Arnie are having late career resurgence, Dwayne Johnson has 20+ big budget films he's planning on doing, we have multiple films for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, we have a film with both Batman and Superman, and soon more sequels for Dr Strange, Black Panther, Ant- Man, Deadpool, even more Spiderman films, X Men films, solo Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, and who the hell knows.

I know, right?

The landscape has changed dramatically over the last 10 years and to add to what you said, studios are now copying Marvel in trying to create cinematic universes and with the monumental success of Deadpool, studios are now taking more risks with their properties in making R-rated blockbusters. There's huge sums of money to be made. It's a crazy time for moviegoers for sure. All this makes the Bond situation all the more frustrating. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't a blip on any sort of radar 5 years ago and later this year, it could end up being close to a $2 Billion franchise. It's crazy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The fact that he's thinking about the preliminary details for the next couple of weeks and the film won't come out until 2020 at the earliest just goes to show how prepared and focused things are over at Marvel and the tight ship that Feige runs. EoN maybe an old dog but they can certainly stand to learn new tricks. This is how you plan when you know what you're doing.

It actually annoys me that we get news of a sequel to a film that hasn't even come out yet all the time these days. I'm sure GotG2 will do well enough to warrant a sequel, but the presumption of the idea is just a bit showy and short-sighted.

I miss the days where a film came out and did well, then deserved a sequel that people could get excited about. I also miss the days where the details of the sequel were released until far after the original came out, so that we didn't see the story of the next one coming a mile away.
    They are counting on people s bad taste staying the same.

I think that's what EoN are doing to be honest.
    So many do.

I think that's what EoN are doing to be honest.

Let's not get delusional.
    No that's the way I see it.

What's delusiomal is EoN being stuck with a mediocre mindset and hiring the same writers who've done nothing but get a bad rap from the fanbase, justifiably so and who's work is constantly being doctored due to their limitations. I feel let down by EoN these past couple of Bond entries and the only bit of real news surrounding Bond 25 is hiring Purvis and Wade again for script duties instead of EoN doing the research and ponying up for a better team of writers that can offer us something different; and doesnt involve a close to home personal vendetta; which we've been getting for each entry for more than 20 years. Actions speak louder than words and it's clear Purvis and Wade returning speaks volumes. That's definitely EoN counting on people's bad taste to stay the same imo.
    No that's the way I see it.

What's delusiomal is EoN being stuck with a mediocre mindset and hiring the same writers who've done nothing but get a bad rap from the fanbase, justifiably so and who's work is constantly being doctored due to their limitations. I feel let down by EoN these past couple of Bond entries and the only bit of real news surrounding Bond 25 is hiring Purvis and Wade again for script duties instead of EoN doing the research and ponying up for a better team of writers that can offer us something different; and doesnt involve a close to home personal vendetta; which we've been getting for each entry for more than 20 years. Actions speak louder than words and it's clear Purvis and Wade returning speaks volumes. That's definitely EoN counting on people's bad taste to stay the same imo.

EON are always consistent with writers, that's why Maibaum wrote the films until the day he died for Christ's sake, even through the slump in quality of the films (or at least a lower audience reaction).

Clearly EON have a lot invested in P&W, and trust them. They adapted CR beautifully, and if the word of insiders is anything to go by (or the leaked e-mails) they saved the day on SP too by cleaning up what Logan left the team to deal with. It's unclear how heavily they worked on QoS on account of the blurry strike, but it amounts to one of my favorite scripts of the modern films if they had so much as a hand in it.

They're not perfect, but no Bond writer is. If P&W are working on the next film, which I won't believe until it's announced from EON, then they clearly want to look into their ideas and see what they can make of them. In the past P&W have been saddled by bad creative partners that forced them into writing utterly stupid shite (DAD being a pure example of it) and then they are the ones that get all the blame even though the ideas weren't theirs.

People have to understand that writers are at the mercy of other creative superiors a lot of the time, and while they can include a lot of original ideas in scripts, sometimes the writers aren't actually the person who should be blamed for a fuss you have at the end of the day.

I am much happier with the P&W of the Craig era than that of the Brosnan era because it's clear that they've been able to do more of what they'd like to see, or at least work on scripts that aren't as "loopy" or over the top. They've grown a hell of a lot in that time, especially when it comes to drama, adaptation and character arcs.
    The fact that EoN are consistent with writers is sort of a problem because it just goes to show how apathetic they are instead of seeking out bringing on board talent that can inject new life and offer something fresh and exciting to the films. They really need to diversify their creative components in story telling when making these films. I don't really care about Maibaum in this sense because outisde of DAF (which btw had some great writing) and TMWTGG his writing contributions are for the best films in the series. He was however, fortunate to have had Fleming's work to adapt and tinker with and the film landscape from the 60s to the 80s was nowhere near as dynamic and saturated as it is today.
    Purvis and Wade, however are not Maibaum and they have never ever impressed me with any of their Bond work and I don't credit them for CR at all; but then again they are who they are and I recognise the limitations of their "talent" so it's not really so much as them I have an issue with because I'll never begrudge anyone trying to make an honest living. Everyone has to eat. However, this goes back to my issue with EoN, the folks in charge. They don't need to make the writing process as complicated as they've made it since Purvis and Wade joined. The "clean up" of the SP script at the 11th hour still ended up being terrible anyway. Sure, what Logan turned in was apparently worse but a polished turd does not a diamond make. EoN fucked up with their responsibilities as producers who should have been closely overseeing the progress of the script at regular stages; as good film producers are known to do. EoN's dereliction of duty was very real.
    To keep this somewhat on topic because we've clearly strayed; but irrespective of what one thinks of the MCU and especially with Perlmutter out of the picture, Feige would never make such a colossal error in judgement as a producer and he's overseeing multiple franchises in a cinematic universe. EoN have one job to do and it's proving somewhat difficult for them at the fundamental stage of film making. Furthermore, they have the money and the clout to attract the best writers in the business and according to capitalism 101, you get what you pay for and what we're getting is the same old dog with the same uninspired, tired tricks. Like I said in a previous post in another thread, Bond 25 will be the ultimate litmus test for me. I may be alone with my views here and that's fine; time will tell how right or proven wrong I am. I sincerely hope it's the latter.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Regardless of how many jobs one has over the other, EON aren't Feige. Feige is basically a superhero in his own right being capable of holding the MCU ship together. Feige had a plan, a flexible plan, for the MCU. EON has had no plan, and that's been their problem.

Purvis and Wade have only failed, in my opinion, on one film, and that's DAD. Clearly, they deserve at least some credit.
    It's far easier to plan ahead for hyper-connected superhero films with multiple characters to branch off of in comparison to Bond, whose adventures must follow just him. Another issue with Bond is creating a villain every time that fits the times, and our villains change all the time, making anything hard to predict. Marvel often just phone in villains and everyone pretends not to notice.

EON are also just one small production company in the grand scheme of things, whereas Marvel has all of Disney behind them, the most monopolistic company in our current times, and maybe ever. What EON has in comparison to Marvel and Disney, however, is loyalty. They welcome back creators who've helped them in the past, keep the films in the family, don't murder their stars with heavy contracts and actually pay people what they're worth. Marvel and Disney on the other hand have a nasty history of low-balling every actor outside of Downey, strangle them in contracts and switch from talent to talent every film probably going on who is cheapest to pay.

In short, EON represent the good of the industry, and Marvel and Disney the bad. Thankfully I can still enjoy the Marvel films, even though I know of the slimy things that happened to make the movies.
    It's far easier to plan ahead for hyper-connected superhero films with multiple characters to branch off of in comparison to Bond, whose adventures must follow just him.

Cant say I agree. In fact I think its easier to do Bond. With these superheroes they havevtheir own individual franchises with theur own stories to tell and to then be either blatantly or loosely connected to a bigger narrative. The reason why Marvel have made it work forvthe most part is because they had/have a plan and stuck to it instead of taking an adhoc approach in how they execute things, which only leads to things feeling disjointed, which for me encapsulates the Craig era.
    Another issue with Bond is creating a villain every time that fits the times, and our villains change all the time, making anything hard to predict. Marvel often just phone in villains and everyone pretends not to notice.

The villain of the times thing is silly to me. A good antagonist is exactly that; a good antagonist. It comes down to being well written and overall execution. A villain can be anyone with a decent plan that can offer a credible threat. Lets not pretend the Bond villains of late are anything to screamnhome about and lets not even fetvstarted on the henchmen. I've found the last 3 villains of MI better than what we've got in the last 3 Bond films, heck, Piercec and Zemo in Cap 2 and 3 respectively did more for me than Greene, Silva and Brofeld. The "big bad" we got in SP was a joke and did nothing but disappoint. Marvel handled Hydra so much better than what EoN did with spectre. So much could have been done with the character and organization and things were looking good but it all went wrong by the time we got to Morocco.
    Marvel's villains haven't been the greatest and it hasn't gone unoticed. On the contrary. It's one of the biggest complaints about the MCU and even Feige himself has acknowledged this and is course correcting this problem going forward. However, they largely get everything else right, particularly with their protagonists and they take more creative risks in trying to keep a family-like dynamic in making these films while concurrently understanding this is a money making business.

EON are also just one small production company in the grand scheme of things, whereas Marvel has all of Disney behind them, the most monopolistic company in our current times, and maybe ever.[/quote]

Which is a relatively new development. Marvel Studios are only 10 years old and were already making waves and changing the landscape of Hollywood blockbusters before Disney got involved, proving to be financially viable and profitable enough for Disney to buy up in the first place. Even now, here on these boards there are numerous posters that have expressed their like for Disney to distribute Bond.

What EON has in comparison to Marvel and Disney, however, is loyalty. They welcome back creators who've helped them in the past, keep the films in the family, don't murder their stars with heavy contracts and actually pay people what they're worth.

The Marvel contracts are nowhere near as bad as your making out. Hugo Weaving was contractually obligated for a multipicture deal to appear as the red skull and after Cap 1 expressed his desire not to return and that he's not being forced to. A similar situation happened with Natalie Portman. However, Weaving has since changed his tune and understandably wants back in. As for EoN paying people what they're worth, tell that to Sean Connery. Heck, EoN wanted Chiwitel Ejiofor and decided to compromise quality by going cheap in getting that Irish guy to platform Dengby. Like I said earlier, you get what you paid for. In any case, regardless of paying people or keeping it in the family, I just don't see the overall joyous passion or enthusiasm from the talent going into these last couple of movies and all Craig mainly does during the press junkers is mostly come off as dour and complains about being exhausted etc, which is a far cry different from many of the Marvel actors who physically have to do more. The likes of Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth who have to get their bodies looking super and doing all these wire and stunt work is intense stuff especially with the proximity of when the films come out but everyone over at EoN are tired and take 3 to 4 year breaks.
    Marvel and Disney on the other hand have a nasty history of low-balling every actor outside of Downey, strangle them in contracts and switch from talent to talent every film probably going on who is cheapest to pay.

That's a gross exaggeration.
    In short, EON represent the good of the industry, and Marvel and Disney the bad. Thankfully I can still enjoy the Marvel films, even though I know of the slimy things that happened to make the movies.

EoN represent the good? Mate, let's not forget the shady stunts EoN have pulled over the years. That documentary that came out where execs from United Artists were calling out Cubby and Saltzman for their selfish and greedy antics didn't just stop there. There's also the ridiculous contract they tried to impose on Lazenby and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's a reason why EoN are for the large part, more than any other production company/movie studio release very little information and material out of their mountainous archives. EoN aren't even close to being the bastion of puritanical ethics that you're painting them as. They're just like every other production company/film studio for the most part.
    To run through these quick...

When it comes to villains, I don't think Marvel have anything that outwardly beats Bond, even recently. Loki is vastly overrated, Zemo is a non-entity, even Winter Soldier didn't make ripples in that way. Granted, it's hard to write villains, but at best Marvel can only hope to tie Bond at this point, if their best has already come and gone. It's also not fair to judge SPECTRE at this point, as it only featured a bit in SP. You wouldn't judge the entire organization after two scenes of Blofeld in FRWL. That being said, most of my favorite SPECTRE moments are in the newest film.

You keep mentioning the unmentionables of EON's past, when I was quite clearly talking about Michael and Barbara's involvement and not what Cubby and Harry did decades upon decades ago. Clearly it's not relevant to a discussion about modern filmmaking.

The Marvel pay and contract issues aren't that exaggerated. It's well known that during The Avengers all the main actors were being thrown pennies for their contributions, and if not for Downey basically throwing them an ultimatum, things could've ended a lot differently.
    I mention EoN's past because to an extent it affects how they currently conduct business. Brosnan himself could sit down and spend a great deal of time talking about the negative aspects of EoN that didn't set well with him from the days of GE to the day he was unceremoniously ousted. He's the not only one with legitimate grievances with Babs and Mike.

As for the villains aspect we'll just have to agree to disagree. I found spectre as an organisation underwhelming and the hype of the threat as presented in SP never lived up to its potential. Cap 2 for me did a much better job in presenting just how nefarious and sinister Hydra were by comparison and the bulk of that was done in one movie.

However, you're right about Marvel and their past pay structures but they were doing no different than what other production companies and film studios do and have done.

Ultimately, Marvel is the biggest franchise player in town, attracting top, existing, new and undiscovered talent; turning each and everyone of their properties into critical and financial hits. Business 101: proper planning prevents poor performance. EoN knows this better than most and as of late seldom apply it. One doesn't have to like Marvel or comic book movies but I for one respect and appreciate Marvel's hustle.

In any case I want Bond back on top sooner rather than later. I want him to be part of the conversation instead of the tired narrative of who the next Bond will be that tends to dominate the subject of the character whenever Bond is talked about.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, Marvel/Disney's method is a microcosm of the industry as a whole, which is exactly my point. Their approach of scheming against their own talent shouldn't be the standard.

We can say they planned things to death for their franchise, but I think you'll find that isn't as true as you'd think. Of course they probably had ideas of what they wanted to do a few years in advance, but at times films were thought up on the fly, including the mega-hyped Civil War which was never the original plan and not even a thought in their minds until much much later. Planning is fine, but you also have to be able to change those plans and adapt when competition enters or an idea fails to prove worthy due to casting concerns, budget, etc.

As for Bond "being a part of the conversation," I think he's fine. In our world people aren't likely to conversate much anyway, and when they do it's trivial nonsense, so there's nothing lost. The last two Bond films alone have given us a billion plus and near billion dollar follow-up, so I don't think the character is in danger of dying quite so randomly. Any mention of Bond is click-bait, and that's exactly why we hear so much concerning the next film before the current film even comes out. It's big news, all the time, and the franchise is one of the last vestiges of event cinema where the films are culturally important and worth celebrating each year they come out.

Like few other Bond films SF and SP celebrated Bond as a British hero with heavy mythology through the use of English motifs and themes, and clearly people responded to that. With his characterization as a gallant knight in a suit, there's much mileage to get out of a traditional man in a divisive and strange modern world. People can be very dramatic, predicting the death of Bond as we know it, but if he survived the 70s and 80s drought, legal hoops, hiatuses and mega casting changes, he'll be fine. He hasn't lasted for over half a century going on just luck.

Let's also not act like EON planned every film like Marvel has done, even back in the day. The movie that was next was always changing, and plenty of scripts could be floating around at once for multiple films, like Maibaum working on drafting OHMSS years before it was ever even agreed on as a fundable film. It's also harder to plan ahead and adapt scripts when you don't have Fleming to work from like they did for so long. In the 60s it was easy to write up ideas for a DN, GF or TB script, etc., because the source text was already there for you to pick from. Making something from scratch with noting to base it on, however, is exponentially more difficult. And then things get thrown at you during or before production like a writer's strike, studio issue or major leak and a wrench is further put into your plans as your vision is forced to change.

Barbara and Michael have had to deal with a lot out of their control in the past decade alone, and I mean a lot of things. Every film of the Craig era was saddled with a major issue before the production or even during it that challenged the patience and creativity of everyone involved, impacting, slowing or even halting progress on their movie, yet they pushed through each and every time. It's why they deserve my respect, and I don't try to judge them for every little thing knowing how hard their jobs can be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Post of the day Brady. :-bd
    Yes, Marvel/Disney's method is a microcosm of the industry as a whole, which is exactly my point. Their approach of scheming against their own talent shouldn't be the standard.

I agree but the point I've made on numerous occasions is that it's never really been their standard as such. That shady and scheming side of things came from one person and that was Ike Perlmutter. It was Ike that was penny-pinching and screwing everyone over, he didn't want female villains and vetoed Rebecca Hall in Iron Man 3, his rather racist comments about recasting the Jim Rhodes (War Machine) character and if it were up to him not only would my avatar never exist but there wouldn't be a black panther film/franchise. Marvel aren't to blame for the select one or few and it's because of Perlmutter, Feige was constantly at war with him from day one and fortunately Feige prevailed and had him ousted. Again, this is why I champion Feige so much and have immense respect for him as a producer. He was able to make the most of dicey situations with hands tied and still knock out result upon result whole also striving for the dairy and honest things to be done for both the talent and the company.

This is from Cate Blanchette's recent interview with Yahoo:

“When I was starting to think about how she might look, I went back to the fanbase,” said Blanchett, who recently spoke to Yahoo. “All these girls were doing Hela makeup looks on YouTube. I thought about what their takes on her were. I spoke to Marvel about what she would look like when she would be unmasked, so she wasn’t a faceless, generic baddie. They were very open to everything.”

“I didn’t realize until I got on the set that this is the first Marvel film incarnation of a female villain. What decade are we in? It was shocking to me. The character they created is ballsy and front-footed.”

Before the production team moved to South Korea, some reporters/journalists visited the Atlanta set of the black panther movie and they're saying that without giving anything away, on a scale of 1 to 10 of awesomeness the movie is a 12 and it's going to rock and blow people's minds.

This wouldn't be possible if Perlmutter were still in charge. He was a very big problem and although it was a lengthy process he's been thankfully removed.
    We can say they planned things to death for their franchise, but I think you'll find that isn't as true as you'd think. Of course they probably had ideas of what they wanted to do a few years in advance, but at times films were thought up on the fly, including the mega-hyped Civil War which was never the original plan and not even a thought in their minds until much much later. Planning is fine, but you also have to be able to change those plans and adapt when competition enters or an idea fails to prove worthy due to casting concerns, budget, etc.

I've never said or suggested that Marvel's planning is/was THAT stringent. In fact I agree with you and have often commended Marvel's flexibility in being able to make changes and adjustments without negatively impacting or creating disastrous results for themselves. Spider-Man joining the MCU, being part of CW and his two solo films, as well as the inhumans no longer being an exclusuve cinematic franchise being examples. Still, this and what you were saying only reinforces what I said about proper planning. Planning isn't just about dealing with an immediate situation but being ready for potential variables.
    the franchise is one of the last vestiges of event cinema where the films are culturally important and worth celebrating each year they come out.

I agree but the way I feel is all the hype, effort and excitement goes into the circus spectacle of the press announcements/photo calls for these movies that are mega-hyped and then when the film comes out I'm left feeling disappointed. I've said it time and time again, the Bond name alone and the institutional history isn't enough for me; I need the films to be great again. I haven't felt wholly satisfied with a Bond film since CR and like you said, these films should be celebrated as and when they come out but I can't jump for joy just because we're getting a movie; I need the movie to actually deliver, especially given EoN's experience and the length of time between films. If we have 4 and 3 year gaps, I expect better than what we got for SF and SP.
    Like few other Bond films SF and SP celebrated Bond as a British hero with heavy mythology through the use of English motifs and themes, and clearly people responded to that.

That yhey did. Some responded positively, others negatively; especially with SP.
    with his characterization as a gallant knight in a suit, there's much mileage to get out of a traditional man in a divisive and strange modern world. People can be very dramatic, predicting the death of Bond as we know it, but if he survived the 70s and 80s drought, legal hoops, hiatuses and mega casting changes, he'll be fine. He hasn't lasted for over half a century going on just luck.

I agree but like I've been saying, this isn't the 60s, 70s or 80s, hell this isn't even the early 2000s. Bond back then was a dominating key market player in a very different climate and landscape. In the last 3 weeks alone we've had 3 major blockbuster releases that have come out every week and it's only March. You talked about being able to adapt and that's exactly what EoN have to do going forward. Competition is stifling, more than 90% of theatrical releases are blockbusters being released in close proximity to each other, both tentative and confirmed release dates for tentpole films are released ridiculously early and access to varied content via cinema, streaming, TV offer different things to different people. The domestic BO for SP saw a 34% drop from SF's domestic number and didn't go all that well critically Stateside. There are many variables today and even more tomorrow that Bond didn't really have to face before and that EoN need to think about but again, I agree that Bond is far from dead but I don't want him coasting either.
    It's also harder to plan ahead and adapt scripts when you don't have Fleming to work from like they did for so long.

Plan ahead for what? Bond films before the Craig era were stand alone films that didn't need nor require ardent interconnective narratives. The only thing EON needed to concern themselves with was the film they were working on at the time. We got FRWL when we did simply because it was a favourite of JFK's and EoN were like "Super! That's the film we'll make next then".
    As for scripting and not having Fleming, there's plenty of unused Fleming work to mine, it's easy to readapt and take influence from the essence of his writings and/or EoN could hire better script writers who can write a good thriller and then infuse it with Fleming touches. I don't understand the difficulty here. Both Babs and Mike grew up in this business and in the world of Fleming, surely they have the capacity to not act so stumped when tasked with such an undertaking. For goodness sake, Wilson wrote scripts for these movies; at the very least he could/should share and better explore ideas; seeing as he's a producer and all. Feige is a 70s baby and never written a comic book in his life but he's read and understands the material, knows what works and identifies and extracts the essences of what makes the material appealing and then seeks out those who understand and can capitalise the spirit of what makes these properties entertaining and thus we get critical and commercial hits. Relying mainly on legacy and history isn't enough and in some cases isn't even an option. It's about telling stories that are entertaining and make embracing the genre worthwhile. Feige gets this and it's not difficult for any producer worth their salt to understand this either.
    And then things get thrown at you during or before production like a writer's strike, studio issue or major leak and a wrench is further put into your plans as your vision is forced to change.

Studio issues like the MgM restructuring and the current distribution matter are extenuating circumstances. However, had Saltzman not been a mega dick EoN wouldn't be in this problem. Still, it's not EoN's fault and they can't be blamed for what is obviously out of their control.
    However, what was within their control was the writer's strike. They could and should have waited but they didn't because they were drunk with CR's success and were too impetuous to put out another movie; and decided to risk putting out a clearly flawed product instead of wisely pushing tge release date back and waiting to get things right once the strike was over. They could have done this but they decided not to.

As for leaks, that's obviously disappointing but it registers to me EoN were more upset about the exposing of how bad their creative process was and the abundance of incompetence and dereliction of duty that was going on. Logan being left for too long before turning in his crappy script, Mendes wanting to drop out because of it...it was an embarassing mess. It had less to do with keeping script secrets.
    Tarantino's hateful 8 script was leaked and he was only pissed because he was 99% happy with the scrip instead of an even 100% and because of that threatened to not make the film but he changed his mind, made the film and it was a critical and financial success.
    Barbara and Michael have had to deal with a lot out of their control in the past decade alone, and I mean a lot of things. Every film of the Craig era was saddled with a major issue before the production or even during it that challenged the patience and creativity of everyone involved, impacting, slowing or even halting progress on their movie, yet they pushed through each and every time. It's why they deserve my respect, and I don't try to judge them for every little thing knowing how hard their jobs can be.

I agree their jobs can be difficult but as mentioned I'd never blame them for things that are out of their control but tge things that are within their control and that they do a negligent job of as producers, they'll get called out for it. They're not Nicky nobody producers who've acquired the Bond rights from a production/studio take over. Babs and Mike have Bond in their blood and now is the time for them to take a serious look envisioning what happens next.
  • I posted this in the "Upcoming Films" thread, but this is perhaps a more appropriate place for discussion. Two new actors are joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe according to Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn:

They will be playing related characters that are important to the Marvel Universe in the soon-to-be-released Guardians sequel. I believe the second name there had been rumored in the past (now confirmed), and the first couldn't make me happier. I think I'm more excited to see him in Guardians than anyone else (possible exception of Kurt Russell as Pratt's dad).
    The king doing his thing in South Korea

C6bLi8dVMAAiKge.jpg

C7cf0hBU8AE7IBs.jpg

C7cf64BVAAAUMyp.jpg

C7cf6KHVoAA_-wm-400x400.jpg

#BlackPantherSoLit

My most anticipated film EVER. I'm so freakin' pumped.