Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

Well, the biggest moneymaker wasn't needed in critical and financial hits like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" or "Guardians of the Galaxy". And I sure as hell didn't need him in "Captain America: Civil War". His presence in that film is one of the reasons why I had failed to warm up to the 2016 film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Well, the biggest moneymaker wasn't needed in critical and financial hits like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" or "Guardians of the Galaxy". And I sure as hell didn't need him in "Captain America: Civil War". His presence in that film is one of the reasons why I had failed to warm up to the 2016 film.

Tony Stark had to be in Civil War. He's the main character of the comic, along with Cap, and often its greatest villain. And without Iron Man the MCU wouldn't even exist, and Downey was the one that made Disney pay his fellow actors the money they earned that they were being shortchanged. Without him, many may have gotten out of their contracts and blown that popsicle stand.

So in many ways, Iron Man/Downey are the ultimate "heroes" of the whole shebang.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 533
    And without Iron Man the MCU wouldn't even exist, and Downey was the one that made Disney pay his fellow actors the money they earned that they were being shortchanged.

I don't give a damn. I honestly don't.

Tony Stark didn't have to be in "Captain America: Civil War", because the third Captain America movie didn't have to be about the damn civil war. In fact, Marvel could have saved this plot for another Avenger's film. The studio was planning a different narrative, until someone had the bright idea of using it for "Captain America 3" and drawing Robert Downey Jr. into the movie. Worse, Mr. Downey Jr. had insisted upon being the film's co-lead.

Downey Jr. as the co-lead in a Captain America film. It made me sick to my stomach. Worse, because of this civil war plot, a good deal of Steve Roger's personal story from his previous two films were either rushed or pushed to the background. The movie spent 10 to 15 minutes focused on Tony Stark recruiting Peter Parker and barely touched upon how Clint Barton and Scott Laing ended up helping Steve. In a damn Captain America movie.

That's why I dislike it. You can love it all you want. But "Captain America: Civil War" will never be a favorite of mine. As for Robert Downey Jr. . . . my opinion of him has somewhat declined in this past year.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DRush76 wrote: »
    And without Iron Man the MCU wouldn't even exist, and Downey was the one that made Disney pay his fellow actors the money they earned that they were being shortchanged.

I don't give a damn. I honestly don't.

Tony Stark didn't have to be in "Captain America: Civil War", because the third Captain America movie didn't have to be about the damn civil war. In fact, Marvel could have saved this plot for another Avenger's film. The studio was planning a different narrative, until someone had the bright idea of using it for "Captain America 3" and drawing Robert Downey Jr. into the movie. Worse, Mr. Downey Jr. had insisted upon being the film's co-lead.

Downey Jr. as the co-lead in a Captain America film. It made me sick to my stomach. Worse, because of this civil war plot, a good deal of Steve Roger's personal story from his previous two films were either rushed or pushed to the background. The movie spent 10 to 15 minutes focused on Tony Stark recruiting Peter Parker and barely touched upon how Clint Barton and Scott Laing ended up helping Steve. In a damn Captain America movie.

That's why I dislike it. You can love it all you want. But "Captain America: Civil War" will never be a favorite of mine. As for Robert Downey Jr. . . . my opinion of him has somewhat declined in this past year.

It's still Cap's film, as it focuses on his dynamic with Bucky above everything else, and how his loyalty to his old friend drives him at odds with his own team. It's the perfect culmination of Steve's arc, and if they were doing Civil War, Tony had to be the co-lead. They could've adapted the comic more than they did beyond that, but if you know the story you'll realize it ends with a great finality, and clearly the filmmakers wanted to continue on and do more in the future, as all the heroes (some of whom would've died) would be needed for the Infinity War films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,854
    I personally see it as the perfect culmination of the Cap trilogy. Look at it, in First Avenger, Cap was the lead with Peggy Carter and Howard Stark as co-stars and Bucky an integral part of the film (Bucky's enlistment drove Steve Rogers to the recruitment office at the World's Fair, thus leading him to become Captain America). Civil War, Cap is still the lead, no matter how you slice it, and Sharon Carter and Tony Stark are co-stars with Bucky still an integral part of the film (literally the integral part of the film).

In First Avenger, Howard Stark was in awe of Steve Rogers, a super soldier he helped create. As we learned in the first Avengers movie, Howard wouldn't shut up about Cap, which naturally got on Tony's nerve as he grew up. Tony grew up, in a way, with an older brother he never knew who their father saw as his favorite. That sort of relationship began in a Cap film and it needed to be dealt with in a Cap film, not an Avengers film.

As far as Hawkeye and Ant-Man being brought into the fold, we didn't need to see that. Cap looking for Ant-Man was dealt with in Ant-Man, and despite Hawkeye's desire to retire at the end of Age of Ultron, it's pretty obvious he would have hopped into the fray as soon as Cap asked him. The only failing there is that he was barely referenced prior to that. Spider-Man needed to be introduced because he hadn't been in an MCU film prior to that, it's that simple.

I'm sorry that, to you, Captain America needed to be in 100% of Civil War's runtime. If it's any consolation to you, he has the most screentime of any of the Avengers in the first Avengers movie, despite the fact that the movie should have been about them all equally.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I don't think Civil War should have been a Cap film. It should have been called Marvel's Civil War or something. By calling it Captain America Civil War, they're essentially pushing us to view the film from Cap's perspective, even though Stark's stance in the film is perfectly valid considering the Avenger's history (unfortunately Stark's sudden flip-flop to reach that stance felt completely rushed and unearned). I may be alone in this but the issues of the film are too morally ambiguous to have such a one-sided narrative.

With all that said, this film is indeed a solid culmination to a Cap trilogy, but if they truly did want to make this a Cap film, they should have cut out a number of the superfluous characters and fluff that distracted from Cap's arc. As @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 mentioned, at the films core is Cap's loyalty and integrity that puts him at odds with Stark. I think shoving the rest of the Avengers into this film simply because it is called "Civil War" detracts from Cap's story.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Personally, I didn't think anything distracted from Cap's story but was a natural evolution of adding to his arc. The thread that started in Cap 1 followed through into Winter Soldier and through to Civil War.
    Shield no longer exists so Cap's time is 100% dedicated to being an Avengers which is part of a team of superheroes that are a constant in his life. Yes, Civil War is told from Cap's perspective but the film doesn't force audiences or expect them to only acknowledge and validate Cap's side of things. Where Tony's coming from is equally valid and his perspective is meant to cause friction and uncertainty as to pick which side is right because they're both right and they're both wrong.
    Cap's friendship with Bucky caused a lot of problems; problems that will have ramifications beyond Civil War and in his quest to get Justice for Bucky it meant being at odds with the law and with some of his team mates but here's the thing, fortunately the film allowed for Cap to convey the truth of the matter and why he was helping Bucky which Tony later understood and realised cap was right in wanting to protect Bucky. The new problem, however, was Steve finding out at the end of Winter Soldier from the file Black Widow gives him that Bucky killed Ma and Pa Stark; and kept that information from Tony. The manner in which Tony found out the truth about his parents and the fact that cap, the closest thing Tony had to an "older brother" he never wanted but respected and trusted knew about it and never told him was the breaking point for Tony. With everything going on in this movie, it's cap that is at the centre of it all and is the film's anchor that everything else gravitates towards. It's easy to see and appreciate why some people would see this as an Avengers film but at the end of the day, these cinematic universe crossovers are inevitable when it's the third film of a character that is a full time member and the leader of the Avengers.

In other news:

Martin Freeman Joins Black Panther as Filming Begins

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/805829-martin-freeman-joins-black-panther-as-filming-begins#/slide/1
    6e2587488657c796-600x400.jpg

Intriguing...
    Cue the internet searching for any comics connections with the date of January 26th.

I assume we'll be getting a look at some of the filming they've done on the Infinity Wars films?
    Some wild speculations online from the possible announcement of phase four to regaining the rights to Fantastic Four, it may not be film related could be other media?
    @fire_and_ice, it seems to be huge, at least judging from the hoopla being made of it by Marvel. "Save the date" makes it feels like a big announcement, whatever it may be. Could you imagine if they made a deal with Fox to use both the Fantastic 4 and X-Men in future films? The world would implode. I can't see that happening, however.
    I think Fantastic Four is more likely based on Fox's efforts, Xmen is relatively good for Fox. Though if either properties were incorporated into the MCU I think serious money to be made is a given. Maybe Disney have bought DC :))

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,257
    It was posted by the Marvel Entertainment Twitter account, rather than Marvel Studios, so it may not be MCU or film related like we all hope.
    Some wild speculations online from the possible announcement of phase four to regaining the rights to Fantastic Four, it may not be film related could be other media?

Square Enix posted a tease today too, perhaps a Marvel related game?

C3Bqq3UUoAALgVV.jpg
    Think you are right looks like it could be a game
    I'm hoping we get a look at Marvel's upcoming Spider-Man game soon. Ever since it was revealed at E3 I've been thirsting for it. Hopefully it turns out to be a worthy successor to Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.
    A part time gamer these days though I remember having Spiderman on one of the early PlayStations, the only superhero game I have now is DC online which I pick up now and then.
    @fire_and_ice, you've played the Rocksteady Batman games though, right?
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I played Arkham Asylum and part of the second one Arkham City? Since I got my Xbox One I tend to just play Fifa online, was thinking about getting Arkham Knight though I have so many games I have not completed yet like Halo 5 for example.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Brie Larson aka Captain Marvel is the only person that has retweeted this news. Make of that what you will.
    Official synopsis and cast list for Black Panther film. Andy Serkis confirmed to return

https://news.marvel.com/movies/58647/marvel-studios-begins-production-black-panther-2/

Yes!

That was it?
    No this is separate. Yesterday's announcement for today was for a new game.

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/avengers-reassemble-marvels-big-announcement-teases-new-game/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What could be more boring?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    No this is separate. Yesterday's announcement for today was for a new game.

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/avengers-reassemble-marvels-big-announcement-teases-new-game/

Very interesting. Marvel seems to be making good on their promise to expand the game market more with their original titles. Spider-Man for the PS4 looks great, and I'm intrigued by the Avengers project. The way they're talking about it, it makes me feel like we'll get to create our own hero or at least play as a rookie who joins the team to help fight some threat, in an MMO styled game. I don't know how long it's been developing, but it'd be great to see gameplay of it, even if it's just a glimpse, at this year's E3. I'm hoping that's also when we'll see more of the Spider-Man game.
    I'm still wondering why they made the spider-symbol white. It's not deterring me from the game because it does look good but it's just so jarring to see.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @doubleoego, yeah, it took me a while to get with the suit. Of course I'm sure there will be DLC for suits or that will be unlockable within the game itself that you can wear outside of the default one. My plan is to play the game in Tom Holland's Spidey suit, as you know it's going to be there, but if they throw in Toby and Andrew's suits too I'll be thrilled on top of it.

I really want this game to be the one that finally feels like a spiritual successor to Spider-Man 2, which was the game of my childhood. My best gaming memories belong to that one.
    Personally, I didn't think anything distracted from Cap's story but was a natural evolution of adding to his arc.

Tony Stark and Sokovia, which could have been saved for an Avengers film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    So, coming off of Age of Ultron, where Cap is given leadership of the Avengers... He shouldn’t do anything with the Avengers? Even if the movie hadn't been Civil War, just from a pure continuity standpoint, the Avengers had to be there. Tony Stark bankrolls the Avengers, and Sokovia was a major event.

What would your ideal Cap 3 have been? Who would the villain be? Would you then ignore the Avengers and thus continuity?

Can't wait !
    Looks like a lot of fun.