Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 9,774
    I guess this means Topher isn't coming back.

you sir have won the internet
    Ignoring the obvious issues who in gods name is Venom going to fight I mean assuming Sony is trying to turn this into a franchise where do you go with the character? I mean does he have any other villains besides Carignage?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Milovy wrote: »
    I just don't believe in their teams a lick, to be honest, or that they are the ones to make an okay Spider-Man villain marketable to the public that doesn't know him at all.
    To be fair, Venom is a very popular and recognizable character. Far more so than the likes of Deadpool or GOTG. I don't think marketability is the problem here.

What doesn't make sense is the idea of a Venom film separate from Spider-Man. The character is completely connected to Spidey's symbiote story, that has to come first.

I don't think Eddie Brock is at all knowable, really. Even with his sordid appearance in Spider-Man 3, I don't think casuals would pick him out of a line-up. Certainly not recognizable for those unaffiliated with comics.

I agree about your complaints, however. The best case scenario is that Eddie gets the symbiote in the film and loses it at the end to set up Peter dealing with it in a second or third Marvel solo film, where his values are tested and his mind is taken over as the new host. Apparently that won't be happening, and Marvel might not want to go there with Sony anyway considering that Spider-Man 3 basically told that story already (although horribly).

I'm interested to know why Sony think the film needs an R-rating, though.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    Yeah, to the general public, Eddie Brock is nobody. His alter ego, however, is iconic (was so before Spider-Man 3 and continues to be).

Eddie acquiring the symbiote before Peter just makes no sense. How could he become Venom - with all the attributes of Spider-Man - without the symbiote first bonding with Peter? (I'm sure they could make this work through some contrivance, but it's simply a backwards, illogical way to tell a Venom story.)

I imagine the rating is an attempt to cash in on the success of recent R-rated fare like Logan and Deadpool. And in the comics, Venom is often a horrifically violent character.

Anyway, they've been threatening to make a Venom movie for years and years. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Sample of Michael Giacchino's spider-man score

https://mobile.twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/865664095084662785/video/1
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sad to see Hardy possibly being wasted on a spin-off nobody wants. On the DC side I think he'd make a great Constantine.

Tom Hardy would be the perfect Punisher.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Sad to see Hardy possibly being wasted on a spin-off nobody wants. On the DC side I think he'd make a great Constantine.

What is with people and trying to cast Tom Hardy in everything? He's a good actor but I've heard people wanting him for Bond and Wolverine, and now Constantine and Punisher. For the record I think he would make a terrible Constantine and Punisher.
    He's already in Mad Max and he's going to be in the Splinter Cell movie and now Venom (I'll admit that's pretty spot on casting).
    Just for fun, not knocking DC or Marvel-- this just gave me a laugh!

18528111_796750987153857_8984441938307807795_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ac2c37a7cae8dc5679434e7491b0f649&oe=59ACE710
    8d539258776f9a0992d29e27b2fa19fe.jpg

My favorite Hardy meme
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

What is with people and trying to cast Tom Hardy in everything? He's a good actor but I've heard people wanting him for Bond and Wolverine, and now Constantine and Punisher. For the record I think he would make a terrible Constantine and Punisher.
    He's already in Mad Max and he's going to be in the Splinter Cell movie and now Venom (I'll admit that's pretty spot on casting).

Not saying I needed Hardy in a role, just that he'd be interesting. He's rough around the edges, looks like a smoker and could shout, "Bollocks!" really loud. He's halfway towards being Constantine.

I'm happy for Hardy to continue being Mad Max exclusively, and that's one of the many reasons why I'd never want him as the next Bond too, which is an absolute fantasy. The former would be infinitely more interesting for him than the latter as an actor of the particular type he is.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    What is with people and trying to cast Tom Hardy in everything?
    I think it's because he's such a chameleon. He just disappears into his characters, so people see what they want to see in him. It's quite a skill. Tremendous actor.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    I think they may have gone overboard with the amount of tech in the suit.

edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Iron Man: Homecoming poster

SMH_DOM_Online_FNL_1SHT_3DRD3DIMX_AOJ_300dpi_01.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, but what to expect with Iron Man as his mentor?
    I really like the poster.

Will watch the trailer as soon as my meeting finishes.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 11,139
    DAkx6rrXkAAjOuu?format=jpg&name=small

Also loved Spidey's reference to black panther in the international trailer.
    This certainly won't mitigate people's worries about Tony being in this film too much.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    This certainly won't mitigate people's worries about Tony being in this film too much.
    One could realistically change the title of the movie to Iron Man 4.

One could realistically change the title of the movie to Iron Man 4.

I just hope it's all marketing tactics. I'd make it seem like Robert was going to be in it a lot too if I was doing teasers and posters, as he's the most profitable draw for these films (no surprise that almost all the billion dollar films have the man in the leading role) and who gets butts in seats. I simply want this to be Spider-Man's film, though, and for him to be the main identity acting in it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They should've just called it 'Spi-ron Man,' am I right, guys? Guys?...
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@Creasy47, that was a little rusty, mate. ;)
    Yeah, his delivery could do with a bit more greasing .
    doubleoego wrote: »

I agree. I'm glad we ironed that all out.

Cool trailer though!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

@Creasy47, that was a little rusty, mate. ;)
    doubleoego wrote: »

I can smell the jealousy of not having discovered such a brilliant, Oscar-winning title before I did!!
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    DAmT5WuXcAEgnMT.jpg
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    homecoming.jpg
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    What are your top 5 MCU films
    I'm going to go with

Iron man
    Captain America civil war
    Captain America winter solider
    The avengers
    Iron man 2
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    The Avengers