Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,534
    A set photo from 'Avengers: Infinity War':

First TV spot for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming':

• edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    I have never considered a Marvel movie a sure thing - I won't go and see them blindly, and I am well aware of their many flaws (both as individual films and as part of an "extended universe").

But somehow, they almost always grab my interest with each individual release. Whether it's down to choice of directors, tone, characters, etc. they know how to draw me in. I saw Iron Man 3 for Shane Black; Age of Ultron for James Spader; Winter Soldier for the Russo brothers; Guardians for the talking raccoon and tree. (I was really pumped to see Ant-Man when Edgar Wright was directing - never did end up seeing the released film.) You can see the opposite effect in DC's films... Zack Snyder is one of very few directors whose films I refuse to watch, as I find them massively disagreeable. Too bad for DC.

I'm currently excited to see Thor: Ragnarok for the Flash Gordon-esque tone, and I'm very curious to see Black Panther led by a black cast and Captain Marvel led by a woman (and to boot, it's Brie Larson!). The writing/directing teams on the latter two also look excellent. Marvel knows how to pique my interest, even if their films aren't always knockouts.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Milovy wrote: »
    (I was really pumped to see Ant-Man when Edgar Wright was directing - never did end up seeing the released film.)

Watch it for Paul Rudd and Michael Douglass, then get ready for Evangiline Lilly in the sequel. She's great in the first one, but she doesn't really have much of a moment to shine. Plot-wise it's pretty much Iron Man with names swapped, but the cast is so good.
    I do like Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly. I will check it out one of these days.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Milovy wrote: »
    I do like Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly. I will check it out one of these days.

Check it out soon and get back to us on what you think. It was one that I wasn't looking forward to but ended up loving. It's in my top 5 MARVEL movies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Milovy, watch Ant Man for Michael Peña. As with most of what he's in, he absolutely steals the show.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Guardians was very good. Finally Marvel makes another standalone movie.
    Meanwhile, in the X-Menverse :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-12/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-set-to-star-in-x-men-spin-off-new-mutants

Apparently, she'll play Rahne Sinclair, the scottish werewolf Wolfsbane. An allusion to her most famous part, perhaps ?

Oh, and Anya Taylor-Joy will play Illyana Rasputin, AKA Magik, Colossus's sister.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm offically at the point where I think there are far too many superhero shows. All the stuff that DC has out (Gotham, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) and MARVEL (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders, Punisher, Cloak & Dagger) and now the X-Men universe (Legion, The Gifted, New Mutants).
    I'm all for the superhero genre but this is starting to feel over crowded.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2017 Posts: 45,489
    The connection between Thomas Paine, John Kerry and Captain America
    https://www.veteransforpeace.org/pressroom/news/2014/04/04/who-are-real-winter-soldiers
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    New Synopses For BLACK PANTHER & AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

Black Panther (February 16th, 2018)

After the events of Captain America: Civil War, King T'Challa returns home to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new leader. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne from factions within his own country. When two foes conspire to destroy Wakanda, the hero known as Black Panther must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje, Wakandan special forces, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

Avengers: Infinity War (May 4th, 2018)

As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
    doubleoego wrote: »
    New Synopses For BLACK PANTHER & AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

Black Panther (February 16th, 2018)

After the events of Captain America: Civil War, King T'Challa returns home to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new leader. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne from factions within his own country. When two foes conspire to destroy Wakanda, the hero known as Black Panther must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje, Wakandan special forces, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

Avengers: Infinity War (May 4th, 2018)

As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

It sounds good no pressure on Infinity War the culmination of a decade of movies, though Marvel know what they are doing.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,813
    Jaw drops
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 9,782
    While I think he can do a good job I still feel this is some how weird akin to Foxx as electro

If he was going to be a marvel character Wolverine or Maybe Ghost Rider I could see but Venom
    The director for Venom makes it a film I would be interested in.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,692
    With Ruben Fleischer and Tom Hardy attached to the project, Venom sounds like a pretty damn interesting movie now. Although, I hope Fleischer can soon make his long-gestated action/comedy film The Revenger with Liam Neeson.
    I was really pumped to see Ant-Man when Edgar Wright was directing - never did end up seeing the released film.

I didn't miss Edgar Wright.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    hqecw2a8ieew5wuk8alf.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sorry to see you have Parkinson.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,187
    Damn. What does this mean for the MCU?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sad to see Hardy possibly being wasted on a spin-off nobody wants. On the DC side I think he'd make a great Constantine.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,813
    I guess since they're throwing around the term 'spinoff' there's no chance of him kicking Tom Holland's ass...
    That's too bad, because we currently have the perfect Spidey & Venom

*Edit
    ive gotta admit, maybe it's because I never bothered with those Venom comics from the 90's, but to me he was always just a (very worthy) Spider-Man villain. Seems odd to give him his own movie, especially if they're keeping him away from the MCU
    I guess since they're throwing around the term 'spinoff' there's no chance of him kicking Tom Holland's ass...
    That's too bad, because we currently have the perfect Spidey & Venom

Exactly. From what we've heard from Sony, it's a Venom film with no Spider-Man whatsoever. To which I say, what's the damn point?
    Lol you took the words out of my mouth while I was editing my post- we must have been typing at the same time!
    The concept of Hardy with the director of Zombieland making a Venom film just sounded awesome and superseded the current malaise. If true that's a great combination
    I guess this means Topher isn't coming back.

I guess this means Topher isn't coming back.

:))
    Lol you took the words out of my mouth while I was editing my post- we must have been typing at the same time!

@Master_Dahark, It's just another weird move by Sony that makes you think they are purposefully trying not to make any money. They're desperate to get another big franchise or film on their slot and are using Venom of all things to dip into the R-rated market, expecting to reap the rewards of Deadpool and Logan, the latter of which was shocking in its overall quality as a film first and comic book film second. I just don't believe in their teams a lick, to be honest, or that they are the ones to make an okay Spider-Man villain marketable to the public that doesn't know him at all.

I worry about how Sony are going to mesh with Marvel in the future, and how long their partnership will last. They are so daft at decision-making that I could see them taking Spider-Man back right when Marvel are getting their groove with him, and spoiling the whole thing just because they want the whole slice of the pie again. Because that worked out so well the other two times they played with fire and got burnt over this character. I've never seen a studio so obsessed with random and pointless spin-offs than Sony and these properties.
    I just don't believe in their teams a lick, to be honest, or that they are the ones to make an okay Spider-Man villain marketable to the public that doesn't know him at all.
    To be fair, Venom is a very popular and recognizable character. Far more so than the likes of Deadpool or GOTG. I don't think marketability is the problem here.

What doesn't make sense is the idea of a Venom film separate from Spider-Man. The character is completely connected to Spidey's symbiote story, that has to come first.