Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Deadpool 2 is opening with a lot more screenings than Infinity War here.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It's good to hear that it's good. I had heard that it wasn't doing as well as expected.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,691
    It's good to hear that it's good. I had heard that it wasn't doing as well as expected.

Turns out it was someone spreading rumours on Twitter. ;)

--

Deadpool 2 is now certified fresh with a score of 84%.
    I thought it´s only the positive hype that´s spread on Twitter early?
    I'm surprised the first Deadpool managed an 83%. I thought it was unwatchable garbage.

Anthony Lane's New Yorker review is great, though:

Watching the film is like sitting at dinner with a teen-ager who believes that, if he swears long and loudly enough, he will shock the grownups into accepting him as one of their own. To be fair, however, the opening credits are a blast: “Produced by Asshats,” “Directed by an Overpaid Tool.” You said it, guys, not me.
    Deadpool 2 delivers theThursday box office record for an R rated film, with $18.6 Million.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the first Deadpool managed an 83%. I thought it was unwatchable garbage.

Anthony Lane's New Yorker review is great, though:

Watching the film is like sitting at dinner with a teen-ager who believes that, if he swears long and loudly enough, he will shock the grownups into accepting him as one of their own. To be fair, however, the opening credits are a blast: “Produced by Asshats,” “Directed by an Overpaid Tool.” You said it, guys, not me.

So you are one person who found the movie garbage, it seems you are minority, but thanks for your expanded review. And please do not start one now. ;)
    Saw Deadpool 2 tonight...
    really didn't like it. I felt the type of story they were trying to tell really clashed with Deadpool's character. The plot was so predictable that I kept waiting for the writers to take advantage of the fact that they had creative license to throw conventions of the genre out the window in favour of doing something original. Sadly they didn't and just fobbed off all the scripts shortcomings to Deadpool breaking the forth wall and calling out the lazy writing.
    Poor effort I think. Although I did like the Bond inspired opening credits.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,424
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jake-gyllenhaal-talks-star-spider-man-homecoming-2-1113627

My first thought is does this rule Jake out as potentially taking over as Batman, my second thought is this would be good casting for Marvel.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like Jake, but I really don't want to see him as Batman. He doesn't cut it for me.

Of the rumored two choices, say Affleck retires, I'd rather see Jon Hamm as Batman.
    Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play the lead villain in Spider-Man Homecoming 2, Mysterio. Michael Keaton is set to return as The Vulture.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I like Jake, but I really don't want to see him as Batman. He doesn't cut it for me.

Of the rumored two choices, say Affleck retires, I'd rather see Jon Hamm as Batman.

There has not been much chatter since Justice League regarding Batfleck, I have a feeling he may stay on for Matt Reeves's The Batman. I'll be honest I have not seen Hamm in much, I never watched Mad Men.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I can't see Jake as Batman either. I think he'd be better as a villain so glad to hear about the Homecoming situation. Hamm would have made a superb Bruce Wayne and he perhaps still could, but they'd better move quickly because he's getting on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

There has not been much chatter since Justice League regarding Batfleck, I have a feeling he may stay on for Matt Reeves's The Batman. I'll be honest I have not seen Hamm in much, I never watched Mad Men.

The first 5 seasons of Mad Men are spectacular. Definitely try to get around and see it.
    Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play the lead villain in Spider-Man Homecoming 2, Mysterio. Michael Keaton is set to return as The Vulture.

It won t be called that.
    doubleoego wrote: »

The first 5 seasons of Mad Men are spectacular. Definitely try to get around and see it.

Just looked on SKY they only have season 7 currently, I'll add the show to my watchlist season 1 surely will be available at some point.

Just looked on SKY they only have season 7 currently, I'll add the show to my watchlist season 1 surely will be available at some point.
    Mad Men is a slow burn. Incredibly well developed characterizations and story telling. It's well worth your time.
    bondjames wrote: »

Mad Men is a slow burn. Incredibly well developed characterizations and story telling. It's well worth your time.

Just checked UK Netflix it has all 7 seasons of Mad Men, I'll watch episode 1 now, the era it's set in is apealing.

There are alot of shows I missed around this time like Breaking Bad, Sopranos I only watched season 1 of Walking Dead.
    @bondjames

Marvel has hired the production designer of Red Sparrow for the Black Widow solo film with Scarlett Johansson.
    That's great news @DaltonCraig007. Red Sparrow is exactly the sort of look I envisage when I think of a solo film on the life of Natasha Romanoff. I'm sure it will be brilliant.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @bondjames

Marvel has hired the production designer of Red Sparrow for the Black Widow solo film with Scarlett Johansson.

Very encouraging.
    Woody Harrelson confirms he has joined the cast of Venom and the already-planned Venom 2.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3501029/woody-harrelson-confirms-venom-role-stokes-fire-carnage-rumor-spoilers/
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,422
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's great news @DaltonCraig007. Red Sparrow is exactly the sort of look I envisage when I think of a solo film on the life of Natasha Romanoff. I'm sure it will be brilliant.

Red Sparrow is almost a Black Widow origins story. Very glad they've tapped up the crew.

Any other details about Black Widow @DaltonCraig007?
    Nothing yet @royale65, I only read that Marvel has talked to many (over 50, apparently) potential directors for the Black Widow film.
    Nothing yet @royale65, I only read that Marvel has talked to many (over 50, apparently) potential directors for the Black Widow film.

Really looking forward to that one. She is one of my absolute fav characters in the MCU.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

I heard that as well. With Feige pushing it, hopefully it'll be with us sooner rather than later. What would you like to see @DaltonCraig007?

Really looking forward to that one. She is one of my absolute fav characters in the MCU.

Marvel shouldn't have let DC get the jump on them with Wonder Woman. If is a good movie, people will see it regardless, no matter the sex/race of the characters.
    @royale65 I'd like to see a more 'low-key' spy/thriller film, similar to Captain America: Winter Soldier, which IMO had the best fight/action sequences in the MCU (the boat assault at the start and the attack on Samuel L Jackson's convoy) and the best performance of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow.
    @royale65 I'd like to see a more 'low-key' spy/thriller film, similar to Captain America: Winter Soldier, which IMO had the best fight/action sequences in the MCU (the boat assault at the start and the attack on Samuel L Jackson's convoy) and the best performance of Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow.

Agreed. She was also awesome in the first Avengers movie. And in Iron Man 2.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Her best parts were easily in Iron-Man 2 and CA: The Winter Soldier. Hopefully she'll be like she was in those movies in her standalone film.