Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The Benedict Cumberbatch one is funny
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Chadwick's one wasn't even mean.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    patb wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/02/why-fans-love-avengers-infinity-war-but-hated-star-wars-the-last-jedi

They are both from ultra-geeky source material, with Marvel-style humour and box-office takings to shout about … so how come aficionados have given Last Jedi such short shrift?

Simple IW did not stick a finger up to what proceeded it. In addition to that IW did not have terrible dialog and terrible acting.

I happened to have no problems with TLJ's acting, but that's always a subjective thing regardless. My question is what you feel TLJ "stuck a finger up what preceeded it" with?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    patb wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/02/why-fans-love-avengers-infinity-war-but-hated-star-wars-the-last-jedi

They are both from ultra-geeky source material, with Marvel-style humour and box-office takings to shout about … so how come aficionados have given Last Jedi such short shrift?

Simple IW did not stick a finger up to what proceeded it. In addition to that IW did not have terrible dialog and terrible acting.

I happened to have no problems with TLJ's acting, but that's always a subjective thing regardless. My question is what you feel TLJ "stuck a finger up what preceeded it" with?

TLJ belittled and Lampooned the SW mythos.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yeah, how? All you're saying is that it did, not how it did. I've combed over every minute of all the films and animated series and found no evidence.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It subverted expectations. That's always a dangerous thing. Something similar happened with brothergate in SP.

IW didn't do that. It played to fanbase expectations for the most part.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    It subverted expectations. That's always a dangerous thing. Something similar happened with brothergate in SP.

I'm okay with subverting expectations. Surprises are a good thing. I would just like it if that subversion was backed up with good storytelling and some effective progression of the overall universe. TLJ seemed to go for subversion at the expense of these things, rather than for the sake of them. The "let the past die" theme that ran throughout the film didn't cover up the flaws in characterisation enough for me.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

I'm okay with subverting expectations. Surprises are a good thing. I would just like it if that subversion was backed up with good storytelling and some effective progression of the overall universe. TLJ seemed to go for subversion at the expense of these things, rather than for the sake of them. The "let the past die" theme that ran throughout the film didn't cover up the flaws in characterisation enough for me.
    You do have a point. It wasn't handled as well as it could have been. Rather than focus more on that potentially interesting theme, the film meandered into overt PC'ness and distracting (boring?) side characters. I agree that it could have been so much better than it was. Ultimately, this was a missed and wasted opportunity. Shock value for the sake of it.

Having said that, I personally still enjoy it, but then again I'm not the biggest SW fan. I can appreciate how those who were more invested in the characters and the mythos would have been disappointed.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767

Marvel has a tradition of announcing what´s going to come. SW TROTJ didn´t announce any continuation whatsoever.

The "let the past die" theme that ran throughout the film didn't cover up the flaws in characterisation enough for me.
    That is very true.
    Did Thanos kill you or were you spared ? The answer here :

didthanoskill.me/

BTW, I was spared. Yes, I know, I didn't expect it either. And hear this :

That rocks, man !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Intriguing. I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet, but it's got my interest. I'm curious about who's going to do the score. Silvestri most likely.

No matter how it turns out, Larson is worth the price of admission for me. Evans and Downey are bonuses.
    Uh guys, I really hate to tell you this, but...

It's a fake !
    I thought so as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,694
    Infinity War heading towards a $260 million opening weekend in China, becoming the first film to open at $200+ million in 2 different markets.
    Wow. I had no idea. That's a pretty good fake then. I was watching on a phone and it looked real to me.
    I posted it before I watched the whole thing, but thought I recognized some old clips there.
    Beleive me, when they release a real trailer, we'll know about it. There are sites (https://cbr.com/ for example) who will announce it on the eve of the release. Here, no such announcement has been made.

And the box-office in France is pretty good as well : in its first week, Infinity War has attracted some 2 565 953 people in the theaters (843 theaters to be precise). Source : cinemondial.com/visu_bofra.php
    I was going to see IW on May 1st, but the cinema foyer was absolutely packed with kids, so I postponed it. Think they were mostly there to see Sherlock Gnomes.
    Infinity War heading towards a $260 million opening weekend in China, becoming the first film to open at $200+ million in 2 different markets.

That'll put it over a $Billion by Sunday.
    doubleoego wrote: »

That'll put it over a $Billion by Sunday.
    Quite extraordinary.
    Is IW on course to catch The Force Awakens?
    As of now it's tracking about $40m below TFA domestic. It's not a fair comparison however because TFA opened during the holiday season. So IW may in fact do just as well, but it may be weighted towards stronger weekends. We'll get a better read after this weekend is over. The first weekend was stronger than TFA for instance, but the mid week has been much weaker.

It will thrash it internationally though because Marvel is much stronger relatively speaking than SW overseas.
    As of now it's tracking about $40m below TFA domestic. It's not a fair comparison however because TFA opened during the holiday season. So IW may in fact do just as well, but it may be weighted towards stronger weekends. We'll get a better read after this weekend is over. The first weekend was stronger than TFA for instance, but the mid week has been much weaker.

It will thrash it internationally though because Marvel is much stronger relatively speaking than SW overseas.

The China numbers are impressive, if I remember Star Wars does not sell as well over there.

The China numbers are impressive, if I remember Star Wars does not sell as well over there.
    Yes, that's true. Marvel sent some heavy hitters out there to do pre-release promotion for the film a few weeks back. They were in South Korea too.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I finally got around to seeing Infinity War last night. Wow, just wow. I had feared I wouldn't like it as much because of all the hype, I was afraid it was too much. This film turned out to be great! It's not perfect but there's so much good about it that it's easy to overlook any of it's minor problems. Although I have to say that two things were spoiled for me before seeing it.
    I heard Spidey (my favorite superhero) dies and I heard Vision did as well.
    But it wasn't enough to ruin my enjoyment of the movie.
    This is one of those films that I really want to see a few more times while it's still in the theater.

There's honestly too many MCU movies for me to accurately rank them all but I can say what my top five and bottom five are...

Top 5:
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Infinity War
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Iron-Man
    The Avengers

Bottom 5:
    The Incredible Hulk
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron-Man 3
    Thor: Ragnarok

Yes, that's true. Marvel sent some heavy hitters out there to do pre-release promotion for the film a few weeks back. They were in South Korea too.

I think I saw some of the promotional videos on YouTube though did not watch them in case of spoilers etc.
    Avengers: Infinity War has akready crossed the $1 Billion Mark in a Record 11 Days....without China!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Finally Saw INFINITY WAR and I loved it. I've been up and down with these Marvel films, but this was a prefect capper (first part, anyway) to what has been coming together for a decade. No complaints. Of course it can't be judged as a singular effort; with no background this film would make little sense. It is a crowning episode of a large scale soap opera (and it works).

I think this is exactly how I feel. I like about half of the marvel films and don’t care for the other half, but this latest one felt like a cinematic event that was earned and worth the time I have invested in all these films over the years
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think IW will catch TFA's total gross. It came in quite a bit lower for a 2nd weekend stateside, and I am forecasting about $700M to $750M domestic by the end of its run. If I'm right, it will need about $1.3bn foreign in order to surpass TFA's $2.1bn overall total, and I'm not sure if it can do that much. Keep in mind that this is before any inflation adjustments.

Nevertheless, IW is a beast at the box office.